Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Why do I have a feeling this is gonna have a troll Touko x Sayaka ending and Yuu x Forever alone ending?

Plottwist, it's gonna be Sayaka x Yuu endgame.

Please don't remind me of that fanart!

Well I mean, who knows if Touko is actually into women? She had Sayaka into her all this time and never did anything...and who would ever not want Sayaka? @_@

From pre-Yuu Touko’s POV, Sayaka would have been the least suitable partner imaginable. So far from being unable to return Touko’s love, Sayaka was already in love with her.

By Touko’s initial criteria, if Sayaka had confessed, Touko might have felt compelled to strangle her. :)

I don't think it would've gone that far, concidering the comradery they've built... But there may come to be some dissasociation?

joined Oct 22, 2018

BTW, this has still been left unanswered, so it'd be very nice if i can get the answer within the next 5 and a half hours.

Now, is this next chapter coming this month, or next month?

Thanks in advance!

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Why do I have a feeling this is gonna have a troll Touko x Sayaka ending and Yuu x Forever alone ending?

Well I mean, who knows if Touko is actually into women? She had Sayaka into her all this time and never did anything...and who would ever not want Sayaka? @_@

From pre-Yuu Touko’s POV, Sayaka would have been the least suitable partner imaginable. So far from being unable to return Touko’s love, Sayaka was already in love with her.

By Touko’s initial criteria, if Sayaka had confessed, Touko might have felt compelled to strangle her. :)

Ah, one of those girls. Who only go for emotionally unavailable partners lol
Yuu is in quite a predicament since she now confessed her love, which technically puts Sayaka ahead of her for the first time ever. Sayaka could well be smarter this time and tell Touko she sucks! lol That would surely win her affections. Because I don't think Touko has changed that much yet.

joined Oct 22, 2018

And no answer to my question. Great.

sigh.
Good night, see ya tommorow y'all.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don't think it would've gone that far, concidering the comradery they've built... But there may come to be some dissasociation?

I was kidding. Touko did not want to be confessed to in general; to be forced to reject her only real friend, Sayaka, would have been especially distressing.

But probably not to the point of murder, I admit.

last edited at Oct 23, 2018 4:21PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

For the love of all that is yuri and the order of this barely cohesive forum, @BV could you please not spam?
You can actually, in fact, put several responses into one post. And you also have the freedom not to complain about your avatar in here. This isn't a chatroom or Discord.

Just a friendly reminder from your friendly neighbourhood wannabe mod.

Ah, one of those girls. Who only go for emotionally unavailable partners lol
Yuu is in quite a predicament since she now confessed her love, which technically puts Sayaka ahead of her for the first time ever. Sayaka could well be smarter this time and tell Touko she sucks! lol That would surely win her affections. Because I don't think Touko has changed that much yet.

I know you are joking, but we all know she still loves Yuu.
(Don't say these things too loudly or Nakatani might hear you and take that detour. And whose fault would that be then?)

Everyone: Ace girls! Ace x ace!!!
Me: wait w0t

I honestly just found out like last week that Ace is some fun new way to say "Asexual".
Which obviously is completely wrong in this context, considering Touko's action. It really confounds me how people throw that term around just because a character didn't think about doing bedroom related things to another on screen. As if the training camp chapter didn't clearly prove them wrong lol

last edited at Oct 23, 2018 4:36PM

joined Oct 1, 2018

BTW, this has still been left unanswered, so it'd be very nice if i can get the answer within the next 5 and a half hours.

Thanks in advance!

It's coming out this month.

joined Oct 22, 2018

For the love of all that is yuri and the order of this barely cohesive forum, @BV could you please not spam?
You can actually, in fact, put several responses into one post. And you also have the freedom not to complain about your avatar in here. This isn't a chatroom or Discord.

Point taken. I apologize, although, in my defense, I was kinda stressed at the time.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Thanks in advance!

It's coming out this month.

Thank you, good sir / ma'am!

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Well, Sayaka will gong to have spin-off story? Is that true? But different author?

joined Oct 22, 2018

Well, Sayaka will gong to have spin-off story? Is that true? But different author?

Yeah, it's true. I know that the author of that spin-off is mentioned somewhere earlier in the discussion, but I forgot his name.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

I'm quite impressed with the anime adaption so far, particularly with all the nuanced body language and attention to detail. It's these small details and visual story telling that make the manga so good and which I feared would get lost in the transition to the animated medium. I love small details like the way Yuu's heart broken friend spends a moment lingering behind to look at the movie promotional poster depicting the young couple. I was seriously concerned they would butcher the more subtle aspects of Nakatani's story telling and so far they have been quite good at preserving it.

The one place I think there is a marked difference is of course the color pallet and the way Nakatani uses light and dark to create atmosphere and mood, but all in all most of my fears about this adaption were unfounded. It's apparent the director understood and is trying to respect the source material.

last edited at Oct 24, 2018 3:20AM

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

I'm quite impressed with the anime adaption so far, particularly with all the nuanced body language and attention to detail. It's these small details and visual story telling that make the manga so good and which I feared would get lost in the transition to the animated medium. I love small details like the way Yuu's heart broken friend spends a moment lingering behind to look at the movie promotional poster depicting the young couple. I was seriously concerned they would butcher the more subtle aspects of Nakatani's story telling and so far they have been quite good at preserving it.

The one place I think there is a marked difference is of course the color pallet and the way Nakatani uses light and dark to create atmosphere and mood, but all in all most of my fears about this adaption were unfounded. It's apparent the director understood and is trying to respect the source material.

Yeah. The fact where the scene Yuu patted Touko’s head and brushed her hair, and the camera focused on Yuu’s fingers, it’s impressive. And the way their eyes move, like how Touko’s when she told Yuu about her past a bit. It resembled fears and uncertainty. When Yuu’s stood in front of people for her speech, her legs was shaking. The anime was very very impressive if people look in the detail. I don’t know why they thinking it’s boring and weird. If visuals were talking, yeah, the colors might too light for my taste, and there were backgrounds scenes that should be darkened. Sometimes they uses colors that is hard to differentiate coz it blended to the characters, like Akari in episode 3, the sunset and her hair, even her eyes are almost the same that if you plainly looked at it, it’s not complimenting. It’s good that her eyes were emotional that emphasizes the feelings of the characters have.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

For another good example of where they managed to pull off the same subtlety, just look at the indirect kiss scene where Touko gets to drink from Yuu's bottle. It's subtly apparent in both manga and anime that Touko definitely wanted it because it was an indirect kiss and tries to play it cool, while Yuu doesn't even care.
Visual. Storytelling.
Love it.

Point taken. I apologize, although, in my defense, I was kinda stressed at the time.

As long as you get it. Maybe eat a Snickers next time~

last edited at Oct 24, 2018 4:21AM

Pixivicon
joined Aug 2, 2018

Yes, and I hope it gets a translation quickly!!

joined Oct 22, 2018

Maybe eat a Snickers next time~

Too bad that there was no Snickers in the apartment at the time. xD

joined Jul 19, 2018

For another good example of where they managed to pull off the same subtlety, just look at the indirect kiss scene where Touko gets to drink from Yuu's bottle. It's subtly apparent in both manga and anime that Touko definitely wanted it because it was an indirect kiss and tries to play it cool, while Yuu doesn't even care.
Visual. Storytelling.
Love it.

Yeah, I thought the indirect kiss was nicely done as well. Another scene I thought conveyed a lot a lot just using subtle body language was where Touko whispers into Yuu's ear after winning the election. You can see Sayaka's displeasure at Touko getting so close to Yuu and there is even a moment where the guy who eventually figures out that Yuu and Touko are in a relationship glances over his shoulder to look thoughtfully at Yuu as he walks off. You can see the wheel's of suspicion are already beginning to turn in his head.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

Yeah, it's true. I know that the author of that spin-off is mentioned somewhere earlier in the discussion, but I forgot his name

Nakatani-sensei will illustrate the story (in the extent possible for a novel) and Iruma Hitoma will write. Here you can have more details

joined Oct 22, 2018

"Listen, you fucking idiots, what did you think all that kissing and cuddling was about, anyway? Go get some of Big Sis's cheesecake and feed it to each other in the equipment shed, and don't come out until your hair's all mussd up and your clothes aren't buttoned right."

This is one of these times I really regret having no talent at drawing, because I would pay good money for someone to draw that panel.

I took a stab at it...

Equipment shed? Check.

Messy hair? Check.

Cheesecake? Check.

Incorrect buttons? Well.. they're still in the shed.. lol

https://twitter.com/ch_windsor/status/1047763205559336960

I don't know what to think of that...

Thanks for the internal conflict I have now. (I guess?)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I thought the indirect kiss scene was a good example of the differences between comics (static sequential storytelling) and animation. Each depicted (in very general terms) the “same” series of events, and in broad thematic terms accomplished the “same” thing—we see the contrast between Yuu’s indifference to drinking from the same bottle (she’s been on sports teams and no doubt has done it all the time) and Touko’s sudden realization of the implications. A nice little scene reminding us of how differently each one regards the relationship at this point in the story.

But since in comics we don’t experience each “shot” in isolation AND we also infer what happens between panels, the scene in the manga is presented AS a sequence—a form of process analysis.

Panel 1: Touko offers the drink, with Yuu in the panel.
Panel 2: Dialogue balloons lead to Yuu alone, drinking.

Lower tier, sequence of three panels, identical perspectives:
Yuu hands back the bottle and Touko takes it (both expressions neutral).
Touko looks at the bottle, suddenly aware of the indirect kiss possibility.
Touko drinks, with the tiniest suggestion of a blush.

Anime:
Touko offers the drink and we watch as she never takes her eyes off Yuu.
Yuu hands the bottle back and Touko gazes at it.
Touko drinks (cut).

I have no interest in saying which is “better,” because that’s a nonsensical conversation. But several major things are different.

Ordinarily, in a drink-sharing situation, there’s no reason to keep watching the other person drink (unless there’s a “You can have a sip but don’t take too much!” deal, as between siblings), so actually seeing Touko watch Yuu drink suggests that she’s intentionally setting up the indirect kiss (as we’ve seen many times in yuri manga). But then her “realization” take doesn’t quite make sense—it should be something like satisfaction. In the manga, she’s also been watching, but then we’ve switched to her implicit POV—we don’t see her doing it, we are her (or we are at least in the same spot she is while) doing it. That’s specific to the execution, not to the medium—the anime could have done that by cutting from the two-shot to the POV, but that would be much more expensive for a fairly minor point.

But because comics images don’t move, and sequences unfold in space rather than in time, we see multiple panels simultaneously and can look at them as long as we like. So that three-panel sequence emphasizes the events as a process and also allows for that tiny blush of Touko’s reaction—if you made it big enough and held the shot long enough in the anime to register with the audience, it would blow the scene and Touko’s reaction way out of proportion.

So it’s the “same scene” in the broadest terms, but is actually depicted quite differently. (Only if you think a “story” is its paraphrasable content are they the same.)

Yuu and Touko share a drink from a bottle, and Touko suddenly realizes that it’s an indirect kiss, and Yuu doesn’t.

In many important respects that sentence is as much, and as little, the “same” scene compared to the manga and the anime as they are compared to each other.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

I gotta say, this community is impressive in the attention to detail aspect. I didn't notice any of that until mentioned ^

joined Jul 19, 2018

I thought the indirect kiss scene was a good example of the differences between comics (static sequential storytelling) and animation. Each depicted (in very general terms) the “same” series of events, and in broad thematic terms accomplished the “same” thing—we see the contrast between Yuu’s indifference to drinking from the same bottle (she’s been on sports teams and no doubt has done it all the time) and Touko’s sudden realization of the implications. A nice little scene reminding us of how differently each one regards the relationship at this point in the story.

But since in comics we don’t experience each “shot” in isolation AND we also infer what happens between panels, the scene in the manga is presented AS a sequence—a form of process analysis.

Panel 1: Touko offers the drink, with Yuu in the panel.
Panel 2: Dialogue balloons lead to Yuu alone, drinking.

Lower tier, sequence of three panels, identical perspectives:
Yuu hands back the bottle and Touko takes it (both expressions neutral).
Touko looks at the bottle, suddenly aware of the indirect kiss possibility.
Touko drinks, with the tiniest suggestion of a blush.

Anime:
Touko offers the drink and we watch as she never takes her eyes off Yuu.
Yuu hands the bottle back and Touko gazes at it.
Touko drinks (cut).

I have no interest in saying which is “better,” because that’s a nonsensical conversation. But several major things are different.

Ordinarily, in a drink-sharing situation, there’s no reason to keep watching the other person drink (unless there’s a “You can have a sip but don’t take too much!” deal, as between siblings), so actually seeing Touko watch Yuu drink suggests that she’s intentionally setting up the indirect kiss (as we’ve seen many times in yuri manga). But then her “realization” take doesn’t quite make sense—it should be something like satisfaction. In the manga, she’s also been watching, but then we’ve switched to her implicit POV—we don’t see her doing it, we are her (or we are at least in the same spot she is while) doing it. That’s specific to the execution, not to the medium—the anime could have done that by cutting from the two-shot to the POV, but that would be much more expensive for a fairly minor point.

But because comics images don’t move, and sequences unfold in space rather than in time, we see multiple panels simultaneously and can look at them as long as we like. So that three-panel sequence emphasizes the events as a process and also allows for that tiny blush of Touko’s reaction—if you made it big enough and held the shot long enough in the anime to register with the audience, it would blow the scene and Touko’s reaction way out of proportion.

So it’s the “same scene” in the broadest terms, but is actually depicted quite differently. (Only if you think a “story” is its paraphrasable content are they the same.)

Yuu and Touko share a drink from a bottle, and Touko suddenly realizes that it’s an indirect kiss, and Yuu doesn’t.

In many important respects that sentence is as much, and as little, the “same” scene compared to the manga and the anime as they are compared to each other.

Very true. My example of Touko's heart broken friend lingering a moment to look at the romance movie poster is another good example of a nuanced scene from the manga getting changed but the meaning still being captured in the anime. That scene is completely different in the manga where we are hinted how Touko's friend feels by a panel at the actual movie showing her slightly sad contemplative face as the couple embraces on the screen. It's the same subtle character development but delivered using different ques.

Bloom Into You employs a lot of subtle visual and symbolic story telling in its original form. It really is a very well crafted manga which is why I seriously worried the anime adaption would just completely butcher it. So far I think the adaption really has done quite well outside of my personal dislike of the color pallet which I think is too bright and flowery for a story that is at its heart quite somber in the beginning, Yuu's perspective in particular feels like it shouldn't be so bright and lovey dovey from the start.

As you pointed out anime and manga are very different mediums and the source material for this particular story is not an easy one to adapt. What has impressed me is that the director seems to understand the source material and is going out of their way to catch even some of the more subtle character interactions and story ques even if it means having to change them to make them work in the new format. As with any manga adaption where there is a ton of dialog in the source material, the script has been streamlined quite a bit, but I think they have done so relatively carefully.

last edited at Oct 24, 2018 6:48PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

There is over-analyzing something and then there is Blastaar. Not that I mind, but even people whose job it is to analyze scenes in movies would probably say calm down. lol
Waiting for your frame by frame breakdown of the toolshed kiss scene after the race at the sports festival.

last edited at Oct 24, 2018 6:25PM

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

and I'm waiting to see Rei-chan making Touko's toes curl with a photo of Yuu sleeping (https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bloom_into_you_special_her_sisters_perspective#9)
and Yuu's mimics as she's solving maths problems when she studies together with Touko in the library (https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bloom_into_you_ch08#16)
and of course the entirety of chapter 9 - Touko alone at Yuu's, Touko and Yuu alone, Yuu getting lonely af after Touko went home
and Sayaka at home in chapter 12
and Yuu warming up to Touko after the rain in chapter13
haha, it's really easy to continue this list

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

There is over-analyzing something and then there is Blastaar. Not that I mind, but even people whose job it is to analyze scenes in movies would probably say calm down. lol
Waiting for your frame by frame breakdown of the toolshed kiss scene after the race at the sports festival.

Actually, it is my job to analyze comics. (Part of it, anyway.)

last edited at Oct 24, 2018 7:37PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.