Forum › We Can't Draw Love discussion

KittyCatOmaniac
E19418efd5cf90129f366e240e5156b3
joined Sep 12, 2014

Noooooooooooo, not the dreaded romantic misunderstanding trope!

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

Jealousy always awaken the gay, doesn't it?

Stretch%20full
joined Jun 13, 2012

First plot twist: That's a girl!
Second plot twist: Actually, a boy!

joined Feb 18, 2015

It's not like their affections weren't always mutual... now it's time for massive misunderstandings.

2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

First plot twist: That's a girl!
Second plot twist: Actually, a boy!

Third plot twist: both

last edited at Oct 11, 2018 11:31AM

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

inhales deeply hmmm, chapter 7 has an angsty drama like tinge to it.... smells like teen spirit...

joined Feb 23, 2016

Yiiis fall in that yuri trap do it!!

joined Feb 23, 2016

GO GET YOUR GIRL, BLONDIE. And I still think that girl wants to bone her brother

I thought so as well... ಠ_ಠ but that would not make sense if she wants to be girly so maybe one of his friends?٩( ᐛ )و

last edited at Oct 11, 2018 1:14PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

GO GET YOUR GIRL, BLONDIE. And I still think that girl wants to bone her brother

I thought so as well... ಠ_ಠ but that would not make sense if she wants to be girly so maybe one of his friends?٩( ᐛ )و

Quoting: "I have one other small reason for dressing like this. That's a secret."

If she was after her brother Ren, dressing to look just like him wouldn't make sense (unless Ren was an extreme narcissist... but we know that's not the case). Imho she dresses to look like her brother to seduce some girl on whom she has a crush. Perhaps a girl who likes Ren's type?

Alpha%20avatar
joined Nov 13, 2015

TIME FOR MISUNDERSTANDINGS

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

oh yea! awaken the yuri hidden deep inside of you!

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I think it will go "oh, i have to get a guy too. let's go to another mixer and one of them can drag me to a hotel."

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Can someone explain to me why they think Yamaguchi likes her brother?

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

"Um... What did you mean by saying you and I are similiar?"
"Unrequited love can be really hard to deal with."
"Huh?"
"You have to keep lying to someone in order to remain with them."

"You and I are similiar, so I'm sure we can share the feelings we've locked away in the bottom of our hearts."

"One of my favorite lines (from the book "The Setting Sun") is, "as for love... no, having once written that word, I can write nothing more."
"I was so moved how well it descibes the feeling you get when your heart aches when you're in love."
"And then there's how love might get more complicated the more you fall for someone."

She seems to be in a unrequited love with someone really important to her, she's hiding it, afraid to lose this person. The only character we see related to her is her brother, because it was what the author presented to us. So, we can only have an idea that he might possibly be that person.
Unrequited love like that happens quite a lot on incest mangas, so this can contribute to our ideas.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
joined Jul 20, 2016

"Huh?"

"You and I are similiar, so I'm sure we can share the feelings we've locked away in the bottom of our hearts."

"One of my favorite lines (from the book "The Setting Sun") is, "as for love... no, having once written that word, I can write nothing more."
"I was so moved how well it descibes the feeling you get when your heart aches when you're in love."
"And then there's how love might get more complicated the more you fall for someone."

She seems to be in a unrequited love with someone really important to her, she's hiding it, afraid to lose this person. The only character we see related to her is her brother, because it was what the author presented to us. So, we can only have an idea that he might possibly be that person.
Unrequited love like that happens quite a lot on incest mangas, so this can contribute to our ideas.

But doesn't Kano also think her love is unrequited? I don't necessarily think that having an unrequited love means that you love your sibling, it can be anyone can't it?

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

"Huh?"

But doesn't Kano also think her love is unrequited? I don't necessarily think that having an unrequited love means that you love your sibling, it can be anyone can't it?

Yes, it can. But I was saying why we think It's her brother, we are not confirming, only theorizing and having ideas about it. It is because the brother is the only character related to her right now. If the author decides to present another character related to her (it can be anyone) or reveal who she is in love with, we dismiss the idea of incest. That's for now.
But, yeah, unrequited love can happen in any case. Teacher x student, blood-related, childhood friends, those are some of the most common scenarios for unrequited love. That's why we suggest it but not necessarily afirm it.

last edited at Oct 12, 2018 6:23AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Mystery solved, all the obvious predictions were correct. I'm actually quite interested in Miyuu's reaction here. She is a very outgoing type of person, so I can very easily see that she won't keep her mouth shut like Kanno would. Confrontation would certainly speed this along, but also stump the development a bit.

Because the last guess was too easy, let's make a completely ridiculous one!
Sui is into her brother, but her brother is gay or at least prefers hanging out with boys. So she keeps up the tomboy approach to be closer to her bro. Or something like that~

DR2 Hajime Hinata
joined Jul 20, 2016

Yes, it can. But I was saying why we think It's her brother, we are not confirming, only theorizing and having ideas about it. It is because the brother is the only character related to her right now. If the author decides to present another character related to her (it can be anyone) or reveal who she is in love with, we dismiss the idea of incest. That's for now.
But, yeah, unrequited love can happen in any case. Teacher x student, blood-related, childhood friends, those are some of the most common scenarios for unrequited love. That's why we suggest it but not necessarily afirm it.

Oh, I was just wondering because a lot of people have been suggesting that be the case, so I thought there was set in stone proof that she does have feelings for her brother

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

Oh, I was just wondering because a lot of people have been suggesting that be the case, so I thought there was set in stone proof that she does have feelings for her brother

It's okay! We are just playing guessing game~
What are your thoughts?

Sui is into her brother, but her brother is gay or at least prefers hanging out with boys. So she keeps up the tomboy approach to be closer to her bro. Or something like that~

He's actually into bugs, LOL.

I always love to see gender identity being talked about on mangas. Sui reminds me of Oga from "Sayuri's Little Sister Is An Angel", they are very similar characters. Both tomboys struggling with "cute" aspects.

last edited at Oct 12, 2018 5:05PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I always love to see gender identity being talked about on mangas. Sui reminds me of Oga from "Sayuri's Little Sister Is An Angel", they are very similar characters. Both tomboys struggling with "cute" aspects.

Very funny.

The tomboy that struggles with cuteness or has an insecurity about it trope is pretty common, even outside of yuri.

last edited at Oct 12, 2018 6:08PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Very funny.

The tomboy that struggles with cuteness or has an insecurity about it trope is pretty common, even outside of yuri.

You’re quite right about that. There’s been some discussion elsewhere about tomboys on the forum (some of it rather bizarre, IMO), so as it happens I’ve been thinking about the various manga tomboy types and tropes.

There’s the “kid” tomboy who’s made it to high school or thereabouts and still wants to roughhouse, catch frogs, etc. rather than “mature” into relationship stuff. This one often ends up involving a transformation of the “cleans up nicely/hey, there’s a cute girl under all that dirt” type.

Then there seem to be people, as in this story, where being a tomboy is less a matter of their own desire or inclinations and more like a role they adopt because of their facial features, their body type, their interest in sports, etc. Often that’s an “enforced” role to some extent (they’re the ones who are pressured to play the prince in the school play, girls are always confessing to them, etc.). In this case they sometimes feel like they really would like to be more traditionally feminine or to openly enjoy cute things but are under various pressures not to.

Then in contrast are the “tomboys by choice”—for a variety of reasons, they’re just more comfortable not sending out some or all of the usual gendered signals in their appearance, dress, behavior, etc. They might really have little or no interest in girly stuff OR they might think nothing of being boyish but also liking cute things or enjoying being fashionable in their casual clothes (as we see with Kase-san at times).

(I take it that “tomboy” is a particular type of non-traditional gender presentation which is rather separate from the “tough girl/delinquent” types, etc.)

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

You’re quite right about that. There’s been some discussion elsewhere about tomboys on the forum (some of it rather bizarre, IMO), so as it happens I’ve been thinking about the various manga tomboy types and tropes.

I have noticed that rather often girls that just behave contrary to girlish images in any way, even if they just like to do wilder sports or are the outdoors type or more outgoing or informal, are called tomboys in lots of manga. Japan has a very rigid definition of femininity. Things we would consider pretty standard for girls to do in the West are already considered overly boyish there.

We don't have to go as far as the inner child tomboy type to see it. The last type you mentioned is pretty much what we would consider normal here in the West, but it already counts as tomboy over there.

Heck, if manga and anime were actually representative of the real world, just wearing pants is out of the ordinary for a girl and even most women. lol

last edited at Oct 13, 2018 5:46AM

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

This discussion encouraged me to go look for diversity on gender representation and I found a good article talking about some things related:
As a feminist, how do you feel about how women are portrayed in anime and manga?.
I recommend the reading, It has a lot of good mentions.

Also, I found something really interesting too: Skirts No Longer Mandatory For Girls’ Uniforms At A Japanese Middle School. Japan seems to be trying to break gender norms over the past years. "Taiyo Middle School, located in the Kanagawa Prefecture city of Hiratsuka, is notably breaking gender norms to make some progress when it comes to the official school unform. Now in its 71st year, the school will no longer require its female students to wear skirts. They will be able to choose between them or slack pants. The school also wants its female students to understand that the skirt will not be pushed on them as the main uniform–both options will be treated and weighted equally". This really makes me happy.

Then we have a few characters to be mentioned on diversity gender representation, If you do some search you will find some. My favorite one is Haruka Tennou, the Sailor Uranos from Sailor Moon series. She is a openly canonly androgynous female, as said on season 3, episode 7 of Sailor Moon Crystal:

You can watch the full scene of the episode here.

You’re quite right about that. There’s been some discussion elsewhere about tomboys on the forum (...)

@Blastaar Can I ask you where did you saw people discussing about tomboys?

I want to join the discussion and bring some information there. I really don't know If I can talk about it here on a manga chapter discussion. But I guess It was OK because It's related to the tomboy character. I'm not going to talk anymore about it. It was only some things I had to mention. Thanks!

last edited at Oct 13, 2018 8:10PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

@Blastaar Can I ask you where did you saw people discussing about tomboys?

I want to join the discussion and bring some information there. I really don't know If I can talk about it here on a manga chapter discussion. But I guess It was OK because It's related to the tomboy character. I'm not going to talk anymore about it. It was only some things I had to mention. Thanks!

It was also a manga chapter discussion, about the tomboy character Sun Jing in THEIR STORY by Tanjiu, but it was actually a brief but very toxic discussion about gender norms, one that I myself, I’m sorry to say, made worse rather than better.

I try not to make discussions (that is, disagreements) here personal, but I’ve got people very close to me whose nonconforming gender expression can result in physical danger just walking down the street, so when people thoughtlessly start holding forth about what other people “should” look or dress like to be “acceptably girly,” it’s hard for me to not push back.

A new thread on tomboy representation (or however you want to shape the topic) would probably be the best way to go.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

This discussion encouraged me to go look for diversity on gender representation and I found a good article talking about some things related:
As a feminist, how do you feel about how women are portrayed in anime and manga?.
I recommend the reading, It has a lot of good mentions.

Also, I found something really interesting too: Skirts No Longer Mandatory For Girls’ Uniforms At A Japanese Middle School. Japan seems to be trying to break gender norms over the past years.

Ehhh, I don't wanna dig too deeply into this topic either. I know anime ain't too progressive in the depiction of women, with some notable exceptions. It doesn't bother me too much.
For all intents and purposes I live in a place where you can dress whatever you want as and nobody cares (except when you run about naked, well, that is just public indecency).
I'm glad to hear that Japan is moving on, if ever so slowly.

To reply you must either login or sign up.