Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

joined Jun 12, 2015

Anybody knows if I can buy the manga's volume? If so, where?

You can buy them on amazon.jp. Amazon's very simple if you want the paper books, and somewhat more complicated if you want the ebooks.

How so? Never ever had any problems with ebooks on amazon. And I have hundreds of them.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

How so? Never ever had any problems with ebooks on amazon. And I have hundreds of them.

Well, I'm not sure about you, but for some regions or for some people amazon.jp will refuse to sell ebooks unless you have an address in Japan. It's fairly easy to get one, but it is a couple steps more complicated than ordering physical books.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

I kinda like Satou's aunt after recent chapters.

I means she still fked up but her easy-going attitude of 'you just killed people and want me to risk my life to help you with no return, sure, no problem, I loved you btw' was very... admirable in some ways.

She really loved everyone unconditionally.

I really hope that Satou and Shio will make it. Sure the whole passport thing is a bit of a stretched, but honestly as someone mentioned, kids' face change a lot, and depending on Satou's acting skill, she may be let it off easy.

(And yeah i know the anime's opening may not be the best. But still. Hope.)

last edited at Jul 16, 2018 11:34AM

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

Does anyone know where I can find the lyrics (and the title) for the opening and ending songs? I really love the opening song and its perfect blend of cuteness and creepiness, and I'd love to actually know what the singer's singing. I like the ending song less 'cause it seems pretty generic in comparison, but I'm still curious to know the significance of the lyrics and all that.

Also, yeah, what the hell was up with that opening... I sure hope that it's just a metaphor or something rather than something that actually happens.

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

one thing that wasn't too clear that makes me curious, if the father in law died in that car crash too...what's the likelihood her parents committed suicide and took him down with them to atone? awfully coincidental that they all died together, don't you think?

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

one thing that wasn't too clear that makes me curious, if the father in law died in that car crash too...what's the likelihood her parents committed suicide and took him down with them to atone? awfully coincidental that they all died together, don't you think?

They were all going to the ceremony, perhaps they were walking or driving together, or just happened to show up at the same spot. Not much of a coincidence when three people who know each other, heading to the same destination, are in the same place at the same time.

And your theory doesn't really make sense—Yuuna's parents had just told her that they'd take her back into their house. Why the hell would they want to kill the father-in-law? How would that help Yuuna at all? Why would they think that would help them atone?

Honestly, of the four people who completely fucked over Yuuna's life, the father-in-law was the least responsible. Sure, he was a slimy piece of shit, but compared to her parents' betrayal, he actually was a positive impact on her life. He paid her living expenses and kept his son away from her. That's more than her parents did after she was raped. Ruining her life even more by killing a guy who wasn't even as bad as them... I don't think anyone, even her awful parents, could imagine that would count as "atonement".

last edited at Jul 16, 2018 2:53PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

xxcindybeexx posted:

I think it'd be far more likely that the piece of shit husband would be responsible for it if it turns out not to be an accident.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

Super plot twist. The father-in-law who was so disappointed on himself, and on how the girls' parents treated their daughter+grandson, that he committed suicide and bring those two with them.

But yeah the shitty husband is the most to gain here. But he looked surprisingly happy so maybe the universe just want to fk with Shio's mom.

On the anime.

Seems like it receive pretty positive response so far. I don't know how the general audience will response to later episode through, if they don't invest much on yuri.

Shyoko death could be one of a highlight of anime, cause it can provide a different take to standard cold-blood yandere (with Satou clearly struggle with it). Afraid that they may cut Shuu-chan off (she appeared in manga chapter 1, didn't she?). Hope not since that episode indicate how yandere top tier Satou is, comparing to normal yandere.

Hopefully lots of screen time for best aunt. Man would be great if you see a bunch of girls cosplaying as her in next anime convention. Would be super easy to do

last edited at Jul 17, 2018 3:40PM

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

Seems like it receive pretty positive response so far. I don't know how the general audience will response to later episode through, if they don't invest much on yuri.

I'm definitely happy to read all these positive reviews from people who might not have otherwise watched yuri. Perhaps this will be the anime to finally bring the yuri genre out of obscurity! ... Yeah, probably not, and it would hardly be the best "yuri" anime for that purpose anyway. I'm banking more on Bloom into You, as long as that's good.

Shyoko death could be one of a highlight of anime, cause it can provide a different take to standard cold-blood yandere (with Satou clearly struggle with it). Afraid that they may cut Shuu-chan off (she appeared in manga chapter 1, didn't she?). Hope not since that episode indicate how yandere top tier Satou is, comparing to normal yandere.

I reread the first chapter, and I didn't notice Suu in it. Maybe I just missed her though. It seems like it was a very faithful adaptation though, so I don't doubt that Suu will appear when she should.., if they do cut her, I'll be pretty pissed. I mean, who are Satou and Shio going to get their passports from if Suu's not in the anime! It's pretty sad that's pretty much all she's done in the entire manga... and it's too late for her to show up more now, probably... maybe she saves the day somehow. At any rate, the only scene that (I think) was cut was the scene where Satou was saying "I didn't know people could have hateful smiles" to that girl who ratted her out. It's a bit regrettable since that'd be cool to see animated. However, it's ultimately not really important since she never shows up again, so I can understand why they cut it.

Edit: The anime made me realize Suu was in the fourth chapter... I did not remember that at all. She seemed like a random background character then, and, well, she's not much better, but... at least she got something to do later on. At any rate, it seems they're not planning on cutting her out since she showed up here and all.

last edited at Jul 21, 2018 11:32PM

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

My one disappointment with the anime (besides the flash-forward at the beginning) is that they haven't really captured the eyes. The way that characters' pupils sometimes look like they were scribbled on with a thick pen, with those gaps and lumpy edges, is one of my favorite parts of the art.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

But come next chapter, maybe Mitsuboshi will meat Sato's aunt

Given the context, this is the most disturbing typo ever.

I spat out my tea.

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

My one disappointment with the anime (besides the flash-forward at the beginning) is that they haven't really captured the eyes. The way that characters' pupils sometimes look like they were scribbled on with a thick pen, with those gaps and lumpy edges, is one of my favorite parts of the art.

Yeah, this and a lot of the visual things in the manga can't translate as well to the anime, and there are a lot of visual things the manga does frequent as a framing device to communicate "this is not a good thing" or an impending sense of horror, like the broken glass surrounding the vows in the latest chapter.

But as of episode 4, the anime direction is doing a lot of interesting things to cover the same material, mostly to make the characters clearer I guess? The manga cut off when Sato pulled out her weapons on the delinquents, but the anime cuts off as she's mutilating them and shows a shot of their dead bodies. We see Sato putting the padlock in place instead of simply seeing the lock. The voice acting sets up good contrasts and really uncomfortable moments that help build that sense of dread too. I wonder how it would communicate that Sato isn't delusional, she just outright lies to herself about things she knows are bad enough that she has to keeps them from Shio because she's willing to go that far for the facade and the codependency, and I'd say it's doing a good job getting that across. The cutesy, sugary effects like Taiyou's stars come across as over the top and fake, so that helps too. Is it just me, or is the teacher getting more focus in the anime?

I mostly can't wait to see the Sato/Suu kiss. I can still hope that they end up together in a happily codependent unhealthy relationship, right? Suu's alive, it could happen.

last edited at Aug 3, 2018 5:37PM

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Yeah, this and a lot of the visual things in the manga can't translate as well to the anime, and there are a lot of visual things the manga does frequent as a framing device to communicate "this is not a good thing" or an impending sense of horror, like the broken glass surrounding the vows in the latest chapter.

But as of episode 4, the anime direction is doing a lot of interesting things to cover the same material, mostly to make the characters clearer I guess? The manga cut off when Sato pulled out her weapons on the delinquents, but the anime cuts off as she's mutilating them and shows a shot of their dead bodies. We see Sato putting the padlock in place instead of simply seeing the lock. The voice acting sets up good contrasts and really uncomfortable moments that help build that sense of dread too. I wonder how it would communicate that Sato isn't delusional, she just outright lies to herself about things she knows are bad enough that she has to keeps them from Shio because she's willing to go that far for the facade and the codependency, and I'd say it's doing a good job getting that across. The cutesy, sugary effects like Taiyou's stars come across as over the top and fake, so that helps too. Is it just me, or is the teacher getting more focus in the anime?

I mostly can't wait to see the Sato/Suu kiss. I can still hope that they end up together in a happily codependent unhealthy relationship, right? Suu's alive, it could happen.

I have to retract my specific complaint about their eyes, since the animators have done neat things with their pupils looking like squirming curling lines a few times. And I agree, after the first preview looked kinda rushed and poorly made, I was worried about quality, but it's turning out way better than I feared.

As far as I can tell, every seen with the teacher in the anime came straight from the manga, except some of them happen in later chapters. So it looks like they're not really increasing the focus on him, just moving some things around.

I think the best hope Suu has for a relationship is that Satou ends up in prison and Suu gets to visit her every week, like those creepy groupies who fall in love with serial killers.

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

Yeah, I really like the swirling red of Sato's eyes, that's a nice visual cue. And Suu would visit Sato every day in jail. They could even have their wedding there. Sato/Shouko has sunk, I must be adaptable!

Raws for ch 38

Everybody press f for Mitsuboshi

...Being serious, I expected the meeting to happen and there was no pleasant way for it for go, but is still hits like a truck. One of the worst pairs of people to meet have met. Looks like we have one more ship for "most destructive, dysfunctional pair" and this is giving the others a run for their money already. I have no idea how he'll get out of this unless he outright kills the aunty. This was the only place Mitsuboshi's downward spiral was guaranteed to lead him to, but still...

Shio's cute as ever though.

last edited at Aug 5, 2018 9:18PM

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Yeah, I really like the swirling red of Sato's eyes, that's a nice visual cue. And Suu would visit Sato every day in jail. They could even have their wedding there. Sato/Shouko has sunk, I must be adaptable!

Hey, the Suu-Satou ship has survived 20 chapter with Suu not showing up or even being mentioned. We can overcome any obstacle.

As for chapter 38, I thought he was going to kill her. I'm really glad he didn't. I was looking forward to this meeting, and it definitely didn't disappoint in terms of how creepy and bizarre it was. He's just no match for her. I'm actually wondering if she can "purify" him, like she claims she will.... The story so far has suggested that the only thing that can beat crazy is even crazier, and the Aunt is definitely crazier than the manager. So given the logic of this world, it's possible he'll somehow come out of the experience of her raping him better off.

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

Hey, the Suu-Satou ship has survived 20 chapter with Suu not showing up or even being mentioned. We can overcome any obstacle.

As for chapter 38, I thought he was going to kill her. I'm really glad he didn't. I was looking forward to this meeting, and it definitely didn't disappoint in terms of how creepy and bizarre it was. He's just no match for her. I'm actually wondering if she can "purify" him, like she claims she will.... The story so far has suggested that the only thing that can beat crazy is even crazier, and the Aunt is definitely crazier than the manager. So given the logic of this world, it's possible he'll somehow come out of the experience of her raping him better off.

Maybe the big showdown will happen with Sato vs Asahi, and Suu rushes in to "save the day" for Sato somehow.

If it's a competition, even in this world, the Aunt wins there. Things could get better. Or they could spiral even worse. I'm excited to see which, but either way, the aunt's probably not going to point him in Sato's direction like she did Shouko. I wonder what effect this will have on Sato's doomed plan.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Maybe the big showdown will happen with Sato vs Asahi, and Suu rushes in to "save the day" for Sato somehow.

If it's a competition, even in this world, the Aunt wins there. Things could get better. Or they could spiral even worse. I'm excited to see which, but either way, the aunt's probably not going to point him in Sato's direction like she did Shouko. I wonder what effect this will have on Sato's doomed plan.

I doubt Suu's saving anyone, probably not even herself....

I'm a little suspicious about Satou's plan. Notice how the Aunt was carrying all that gas upstairs, into her apartment. You'd think if she just wanted to dispose of a body, she'd use that car she rented to drive it somewhere safe and burn it there. No need to ever take the gas out of the car and into her apartment. Unless she's got a massive furnace able to withstand the heat necessary to destroy a body, then she isn't intending to just dispose of that body. She's going to dispose of the building. Though if I'm right, I'm curious how she expects to get away with this without being convicted of arson....

joined May 8, 2018

On the last page of Chapter 36, I can't help but think Sato's auntie looks like like Plutia. And I even read the former's dialogues with the latter's voice before seeing the color art.

joined Feb 15, 2013

Chapter 38 finally got translated...

I can't help myself but liking Satou's aunt. I laughed my ass off when Taiyou was trying to open her door, and she just appeared behind nonchalantly smiling "I'll open it for you".

And then she was like 'you are strangling people wrong, have to do it harder....Like God damn it, simply like her character so much

Saying that through, I kinda worry for the aunt. Plus the anime opening, means it's very likely that the petrol may spill and burn down the building somehow. Hope that she can cure Taiyou off being lolicon though

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Ahah what the fuck they actually did kiss

Great, isn't it?

I just hope that Asahi wins & gets Shio back from Sato. As for Sato hope she either dies or go's to asylum where she belongs.

joined May 24, 2014

I just hope that Asahi wins & gets Shio back from Sato. As for Sato hope she either dies or go's to asylum where she belongs.

Nah, he deserves to DIE for ATTEMPTING to destroy her beloved happy sugar life

last edited at Sep 22, 2018 5:01PM

!vanitas-emote-05
joined Jul 19, 2014

I clicked on this chapter as soon as i got the email of it being update. Holy shit, poor Taiyo.

Money_marie%202
joined Jan 18, 2017

female to male rape? Guess this manga is covering all the bases.
Not sure how I should react to this but I can't stop reading, help.

joined Jan 6, 2017

This dude can't catch a break. In just a few months (?) he's gotten raped twice.

To reply you must either login or sign up.