Forum › Summer Vacation discussion

lucas_martinss67
joined Jun 1, 2015

;-;

Smug%20ass%20fuckgin%20zura
joined Dec 5, 2015

Bold of you to throw these feels in my face.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

What the dang

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

Now "Hey! Chihiro!" makes sense

joined Jul 26, 2016

Anyone else find the twist really predictable?

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Okay, ouch.

joined Feb 23, 2016

Ohh noo.. whyy!? ( Y^Y )

1916028_1073061359394379_8287547252845901979_n
joined May 1, 2017

ohh no no no

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

tragedy?

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I suspect a "tragedy" tag would count as a spoiler...

joined Nov 14, 2013

Some nice hints in just the first few pages to the twist - Natsu mentioning that the only thing she knows has changed in town is the store across from the cemetery, Chihiro is visiting in August (for Obon), Natsu's feet are always very conspicuously hidden.

joined Jun 30, 2016

Damn.... never end up fighting and leave without making up.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I suspect a "tragedy" tag would count as a spoiler...

well it's a given that someone died from the start, just that Natsu was the narrator the whole time wasn't, I would think Ghost would be more of a spoiler than Tragedy

joined Aug 5, 2018

So she’s natsu, she the girls dead girlfriend ?

0025_2d6ec0da0f4bf2e38ab1a00396fa809b
joined Feb 7, 2013

Yeah, I find it pretty obvious.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

I didn't think it was obvious at first, but I'm an airhead.

So she’s natsu, she the girls dead girlfriend ?

That would be it, yeah.
Edit: To-be girlfriend. They didn't actually get together in the story. Natsu died before they could.

last edited at Aug 5, 2018 2:05AM

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

So, the real mystery is who the hell opens a convenience store next to a cemetery? Twice?

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

So, the real mystery is who the hell opens a convenience store next to a cemetery? Twice?

People need snacks while they grieve. Or cigarettes. Or cheap black umbrellas, because if there's anything I've learned from watching movies, it's that every funeral takes place in the rain, and everyone has identical black umbrellas.

last edited at Aug 5, 2018 3:07AM

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

It totally got me. Might have been because I just read the author's other story where there's a love triangle.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

People need snacks while they grieve. Or cigarettes. Or cheap black umbrellas, because if there's anything I've learned from watching movies, it's that every funeral takes place in the rain, and everyone has identical black umbrellas.

But if it really is a marketing bonanza you say it is then why did the first one close down? Did people just decide to stop dying? I guess they could have also charged too much for those damn umbrellas.

AntagonistChan
Sayo2
joined Jul 11, 2018

I actually went and read it through after realizing the twist, and noticed that there are a whole bunch of times where it SEEMS like she's participating in the conversation, but she really isn't, like:
Chihiro's Mom(?): Hey, the bath is ready!
Natsu: I'll wait in your room!
Chihiro: Okay!
Like, Chihiro SEEMS to be reacting to "I'll wait in your room," but was actually responding to "The bath is ready.".
Clever.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Damn.... never end up fighting and leave without making up.

I'd go even further: if you have something important to say to someone near you, say it right now. You may not see them tomorrow or ever.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I actually went and read it through after realizing the twist, and noticed that there are a whole bunch of times where it SEEMS like she's participating in the conversation, but she really isn't, like:
Chihiro's Mom(?): Hey, the bath is ready!
Natsu: I'll wait in your room!
Chihiro: Okay!
Like, Chihiro SEEMS to be reacting to "I'll wait in your room," but was actually responding to "The bath is ready.".
Clever.

In the beginning where Chihiro's sister(?) says "there's nothing here", it sounds like she's repeating Natsu's line to show agreement, but she's just saying it normally.

And when her mom says "I've made dinner for the two of you" it's for Chihiro and her sister, not Chihiro and Natsu.

So often authors will cheat to make a surprising twist. The sudden reveal is not actually consistent with what came before. But there's no cheating here, just misdirection. The ending makes perfect sense.

joined Aug 11, 2014

The thing I like about this is that, even though I figured out the twist the instant Chihiro said she was visiting a grave, the story didn't lose anything for it. Because the author was careful not to cheat to make the reveal more surprising, they were also careful to write a story that worked both ways, so that knowing the true situation informs and enriches the second read-through, rather than detracting from it.

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

To reply you must either login or sign up.