Forum › Summer Vacation discussion

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

This whole collection is great so far, thanks for translating!

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

It was kinda obvious from the start

last edited at Aug 5, 2018 5:08PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Lost love and regret. A one, two punch to the old heart. Well played, Emura Ei.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Anyone else find the twist really predictable?

Sometimes the twist isn't the point. The story is about lost love and regret holding two star crossed lovers together across the great divide. Sad, but beautiful in a way.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

Really enjoyed how the author played with all those reactions to make it seem like Natsu was there interacting with the rest but in reality, no one saw her. Nice one

joined Dec 16, 2017

Stop with the goddamn feels ;_; . Good story though :) Passing on a quote: Grief is love with no place to go...

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

Why you do these

57e011396781cdc3308f5aefac880571
joined Feb 19, 2016

Anyone else surprised by the twist, because they've been reading nothing but love triangles lately, because that's what always gets uploaded to Dynasty, so they read this thinking that the dead girl was one of the trianglets, and was killed off to allow the other two to get together because love triangles are just the worst?

No? Just me? Oh well

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Anyone else surprised by the twist, because they've been reading nothing but love triangles lately, because that's what always gets uploaded to Dynasty, so they read this thinking that the dead girl was one of the trianglets, and was killed off to allow the other two to get together because love triangles are just the worst?

No? Just me? Oh well

Not just you. :-) It did surprise me, as well, though mostly because it depicted grief so believably. Even without the twist, the story would be great IMO.

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

To be honest, I'm really not a fan of when people say things like "That an obvious twist!"

Because firstly, that's clearly subjective; what is obvious to someone isn't always going to be obvious to another person. Also, if you're on the lookout for twists then yeah, the clues are there. Noticing foreshadowing doesn't make you clever: if you're looking for it, you'll probably find it, and if you're not looking for it, then you're probably not going to see it. That's all it is. I think that the biggest issue I have with it is that how good a twist is should not be measured by how much of a surprise it is. After all, foreshadowing is a really interesting element in a story, and it helps tie the beginning and end of a plot together, but the existence of foreshadowing in a story makes the existence of the twist more obvious and also helps readers pin down exactly what it is.

An easy example are the many Sherlock Holmes short stories, where a clever reader could figure out who the culprit was before Holmes reveals it to the rest of the cast. It's all logical, so a solution to the thought puzzles in the stories could be figured out with enough patience. Naturally, this is a merit of the series, not a fault.

Anyway, I think the author did a very good job here by making it seem like Natsu is a part of the conversations around her when she really isn't. The fact that she is clearly unaware of her own identity was very interesting and added a layer of both tragedy and romance to her past-the-grave attachments to Chihiro.

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

A G-GH-GH-GHOST

joined Feb 18, 2015

Anyone else find the twist really predictable?
Yeah, but it was still pretty good. I'm guessing the fact that she looks different in the pictures is supposed to indicate that she got her hair cut after Chihiro started ghosting her... before she became one...

joined Jul 20, 2011

What the dang

Bruce Willis has been dead the whole movie!

I suspect a "tragedy" tag would count as a spoiler...

I don't see how, they tell us Natsu's dead in the very second page.

joined Feb 24, 2019

I'm guessing the fact that she looks different in the pictures is supposed to indicate that she got her hair cut after Chihiro started ghosting her... before she became one...

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention the possibility that the ghost might not be Natsu. She doesn't look like the picture and she doesn't stand over Natsu's grave, but rather a different one. Not to mention she brings up not really remembering Natsu, so unless she is speaking in the third person or somehow forget who she was it wouldn't really make sense. My interpretation is that ghost girl is actually a third character who has fallen for Chihiro and wants to comfort her after Natsu's death.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention the possibility that the ghost might not be Natsu. She doesn't look like the picture and she doesn't stand over Natsu's grave, but rather a different one. Not to mention she brings up not really remembering Natsu, so unless she is speaking in the third person or somehow forget who she was it wouldn't really make sense. My interpretation is that ghost girl is actually a third character who has fallen for Chihiro and wants to comfort her after Natsu's death.

This post made me reconsider the meaning of the manga. However, after thinking about it for a long time, I'm certain your interpretation is wrong.

As for your evidence that she's not Natsu, it's not very compelling. She says she's forgetting Natsu's face, not that she's forgotten Natsu, which makes sense since she probably hasn't been able to look in a mirror since she died. The narrator speaks about Natsu in the third person in my translation because it's very difficult to convey the indirect way she's speaking. You can't just leave out nouns and pronouns in English the way you can in Japanese. Even in the original she does refer to Natsu in the third person a few times, but I think that's primarily to trick the audience. Same thing with the obscured pictures and the change in her haircut. And I don't think it really matters what grave she's standing on. She was just walking around the whole town, so she can probably stand on whatever grave she likes.

And the evidence that she is Natsu is more convincing. The last page makes very clear. The lines "Those words—no matter what's happened, they do make me happy. I'm still here," only make sense if she is Natsu thinking back to hearing Chihiro say that she loves her too. If she weren't Natsu, then what would that even be referring to?

The story would be pointless if she were just a random ghost. From beginning to end, the story is about how Chihiro can't let go of Natsu. At first we're lead to believe that the narrator is Chihiro's friend or girlfriend who's come back home with her. She wants Chihiro to forget Natsu. Then the ending reveal that she is Natsu makes us re-evaluate the rest of the story. Chihiro is not just metaphorically haunted by Natsu, but literally as well. Natsu's ghost wants Chihiro to move on not out of jealousy but because she wants the person she loves to live her life and be happy. But at the same time she's still glad to hear that Chihiro loved her back, since she died before Chihiro responded. The twist casts the whole story in a new light.

On other hand, if the narrator were just some random ghost then what would even be the point of that reveal? It would be a meaningless surprise, contributing nothing and changing nothing. And it would rely on a series of major coincidences. There just happens to be a girl who also knew Chihiro and who died around the same age as Natsu, and who also loves Chihiro, and whose grave just happens to be right next to Natsu's?

last edited at Jan 12, 2020 12:51AM

joined Jan 14, 2020

"Chihiro is visiting in August (for Obon), Natsu's feet are always very conspicuously hidden."

Are Japanese ghosts not supposed to have feet? Anyway, we do see her feet on page 10. Okay, the toes are hidden, but there are definite heels.

"Ghost" wasn't obvious given Natsu's physical interaction with the letters.

But yeah, well done with the conversation.

Ithink%20small
joined Aug 13, 2015

This manga has always resonated with my emotions of the afterlife. I forgot about this manga for sometime but I’m so glad I found it again by accident. I remember how much I cried after figuring it out part way when she doesn’t respond to her actions with the letters. She gets confused on why she heard the sound of it closing. She doesn’t talk to her why was she going through it. I love how the story is drawn and written to trick the readers like me at first. I read to the end and my theory was correct, I started to cry. I read it again from the ghost point of view and I cried till my eyes could no more.

This manga is legendary for me! Within my Top 10!
Yuri4life....And, Beyond. <3

last edited at Nov 4, 2020 5:26AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.