Forum › Lily Love discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm still disappointed enough by the end of Lily Love that I don't know if I care to even start the sequel. Rereading it, her sudden trip abroad didn't quite come out of nowhere, but it was an incredibly cliched and unsatisfying way to end the story. Might as well have just printed a page saying "Oh, we ran out of chapters for this. She goes away for a year then comes back and then they live happily ever after".

I didn’t see much real point in that one either, but compared to the other Lezhin “main character leaves for little or no discernible reason” yuri finales like WDTFS, Pulse, Serenade, and Third Party, it was at least adequately motivated and integrated into the plot.

Seriously, although my only evidence is this otherwise inexplicable pattern, I’ve come to believe that noble idiocy > time skip > reunion is Lezhin editorial policy for yuri series rather than simply poor authorial choice. It’s not uncommon for a serial narrative to botch its ending (kdramas do it just like this all the time), but when yuri plots from one particular publisher falter in exactly the way over and over it starts to look like more than coincidence.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Seriously, although my only evidence is this otherwise inexplicable pattern, I’ve come to believe that noble idiocy > time skip > reunion is Lezhin editorial policy for yuri series rather than simply poor authorial choice. It’s not uncommon for a serial narrative to botch its ending (kdramas do it just like this all the time), but when yuri plots from one particular publisher falter in exactly the way over and over it starts to look like more than coincidence.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was motivated by a business policy, like how much time authors are given to wrap things up, but it's not exactly uncommon outside of Lezhin also. Some stories that immediately come to mind are Netsuzou Trap and Cross Heart but I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

Maybe it's just a convenient way to setup an ending in advance that you know you can quickly wrap up when needed. Or just a way to raise the stakes at the very end when there's no other obvious source of drama. Since I haven't read too many Lezhin series, and of them this was the only one that ended like this, I won't speculate too much about, but if all the ones you mentioned did end in the same manner, that's definitely suspicious.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

I don't partake that conspiracy theory of yours, sounds really ... l'll leave at that

But I'm pretty disappointed with Lily Love 2 looks like Ratana used all her creativity on Pulse and she ran out of ideas for Lily 2, to say it's cliché it's a understatement, terrible pace, each episode delivers absolutely nothing and doesn't even make me excited to purchase coins for the next one, plus Ratana shared a guy image I can only get so much excited expecting a guy to join the story ugh if I make that far that is, might drop midway through

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It does happen a lot, and it usually is an obvious cop-out for cheap resolution of previously intractable plot points or for stretching out a few more chapters after the OTP get together.

Again, at least in Lily Love we knew the couple would reunite and just marked time with lovey-dovey cuteness. In the first two series I mentioned, the issue was the implausible motivation for the characters leaving when they did, in the second two the main question was why in the world the other one would take the person back.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

That reminded me Always Human also had a we need to part for x time ending. It wasn't as much out of the blue as it came at the very end after so far pretty good and believable romance, but in general without much drama or drama was solved quickly and naturally. What was annoying about it was, that the offer itself was presented so poorly, it didn't feel like good offer at all and reading it I felt like there was no real reason to pick it, yet character was agonizing w/e do to it or not. And even worse then supporting character give her good wigging about how she was idiot for getting worked up about it when she obviously should do it, when to me offer wasn't appealing at all. Honestly I actually did not finish it so I don't know how it was resolved, but it really felt as author was near the end of series and had to end it somehow so she decided to go for that cliche but proven and easy to make dramatic ending. The thing is I felt no tension because it was executed so poorly I lost interest in it, when before I was really invested in characters and I couldn't wait to read next chapters. And the worse part, author was actually really good at creating unique situations you don't often see in manga and handling them really well, so ending series with one of the biggest cliches ever felt really disappointing. Especially with how poorly it was executed.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

That Lily Love is full of cliches was pointed out from the beginning of this thread.

They are just played straightforwardly, without any subversion. Usually, Japanese mangaka add some twists or try to add a layer of complexity to hide the inner workings of the cliches.

But Ratana Satis just plays them literally, without varnish, and it gives a strange feeling of emptiness.

joined May 13, 2018

It's not as mature as Pulse that's a given. it's a lighter read on par with lily love 1. But I for one i'm enjoying it, yes it has the typical rich girl/poor girl cliche. But it's not such a bad thing, Ploy is clearly an emotional wreck and Ice is the level headed, tell it as it is girl who will save her from her turmoil and they'll fall in love. I'm all for sappy frivoulous stories on occasion . And it helps the characters have chemistry and make a Hot pairing ('m shallow). I definitely prefer this to Lily Love 1.

Their probably will be a male character as Ploy is bisexual and that aspect will most likely come into play, but here's hoping it won't be explored but rather put to rest.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

That Lily Love is full of cliches was pointed out from the beginning of this thread.
They are just played straightforwardly, without any subversion. Usually, Japanese mangaka add some twists or try to add a layer of complexity to hide the inner workings of the cliches.
But Ratana Satis just plays them literally, without varnish, and it gives a strange feeling of emptiness.

Ratana it's Thay actually

Rsz_1465926231839
joined Jun 24, 2015

"More than two genders" either a foolish writer or the translator is pushing an agenda. More than two sexualitys, sure, but genders? People really need to stop trying to redefine words and biology

joined Jul 26, 2016

"Gender" is by definition the sociocultural part, though. "Sex" is the biological side.

The former obviously has a lot more wiggle room than the latter.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

There is still a lot of wiggle room on the second, mind you

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

"More than two genders" either a foolish writer or the translator is pushing an agenda. More than two sexualitys, sure, but genders? People really need to stop trying to redefine words and biology

Sullivan, I'm getting pretty tired of you pushing your agenda. Cool it, or we're going to have issues.

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013
NiccoloPaganini
joined May 25, 2018

Sullivan, I'm getting pretty tired of you pushing your agenda. Cool it, or we're going to have issues.

Irony 100
Your are getting tired of him/her pushing his/her agenda, BY pushing your agenda on him/her.

Parnifia the Bastard
Chrome_2018-04-13_12-33-32-min%20(3)
joined Aug 4, 2014

Wow. Ratana already pushes it with the constant train of cliches, but this newest chapter is just stupid.

last edited at Jun 1, 2018 10:49AM

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

Wow. Ratana already pushes it with the constant train of cliches, but this newest chapter is just stupid.

LILY LOVE 2 CLICHEMASTER

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013
Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013
Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013
Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013
Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013
Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

New chapter is out

https://www.lezhin.com/en/comic/lilylove2

wow, the art in this scene was so beautiful and gorgeous, Ratana Satis art sure is great as ever.(she should make more sex doujins (⟃ ͜ʖ ⟄)! ok sorry.)
I hope the ployxice one would be even nicer(and longer ( ° ͜ʖ °))

last edited at Jul 6, 2018 7:00PM

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Mew is kind of an ass to Ploy at the end, isn't she? I mean, what does it matter if your girlfriend has had sex with men in the past? Do you feel cheated on or something? Jezz, grow up, girl.

last edited at Jul 7, 2018 9:47PM

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013
RomanticGuy153
joined May 21, 2018

Sound more logical now. Bad communication killed too many couple (including mine...)
Sad for Ploy to loose someone as Mew, but Ice look like a way better fit with her personality. (Also, Mew is the perfect one for someone as Donut ^^)
I have to say i like pretty much this manga till now. Worth the money :)
I like the level of complexity in their relation and how it evolve.
Also, great work in the translation, Three Musqueeteers. :)

To reply you must either login or sign up.