Forum › You Were A Girl?! discussion

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

It's a great twist. And one character is right. It would usually be the one childhood tomboy friend that was the first love that turns out to be the girl. This is the first double-twist I've ever seen. I think depraved bisexuals should be allowed to exist as long as they (a) only derail trains filled with orphans on weekends and (b) only burn half your yuri manga. fair's fair!

Img_20180219_210316
joined Sep 25, 2017

A good plot.
Luv to see more of this.

joined May 4, 2013

Was she thirsty for milk?

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

"I used to be a girl.

I still am one. But I used to be one, too."

last edited at Mar 6, 2018 6:03PM

indexoutofbounds
48462207_p0_master1200%20michairu%20yuuki%20yuuna%20togo%20kiss%20cropped%20avatar%20small
joined Nov 16, 2017

This is so cute!!

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

This was really cute and I love this subversion of the usual "childhood friend was actually a girl" thing, buuuut it couldn't carry a series. This is about as much mileage you can get out of just this joke. Still, loved it for what it is, I've always wanted to see one of these end up this way.

The bisexual tag is for when it's plot-relevant that a character has both types of relationships I think, but wow these arguments that imply that characters being bisexual would make it less yuri are... hm... I mean, comp het is a thing, you could make an argument without throwing bisexuals under the bus like that.

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

So even they were kids, they both thought they were boys? Yet they still loved each other?

And niw they both are girls, they still love each other?! Oh wow

The friendship and love that transcend all genders and sexuality. Beautiful.

joined Oct 26, 2016

So even they were kids, they both thought they were boys? Yet they still loved each other?

And niw they both are girls, they still love each other?! Oh wow

The friendship and love that transcend all genders and sexuality. Beautiful.

They saw each other as boys but they knew they were girls themselves, so from both perspectives it was a F to M interest. No yaoi here. They go from het to yuri.

They're cute together but it's kinda sad to see the same old bi war going on in the comments instead of more comments about the two.

last edited at Mar 6, 2018 10:11PM

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone in real life? I guess it could, it just seems so unlikely. But I see it all the time in manga which makes me wonder if it's actually a thing in Japan.

Satchmo_Omega
Hedgehog
joined Feb 26, 2018

The bisexual tag is for when it's plot-relevant that a character has both types of relationships I think

It's certainly plot relevant that these girls were attracted to each other when they thought each other were boys. But I think the bisexual tag is for when the character has relations with men (as well as women) in the scope of the work. So it wouldn't apply here.

last edited at Mar 7, 2018 1:32AM

joined Apr 12, 2014

lol

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

But I see it all the time in manga which makes me wonder if it's actually a thing in Japan.

As frequent as Godzilla attacks.

Naw, can't imagine that actually happening. Kids are pretty clear on the "you're a girl/boy!" thing ^^ Only exception I could think of would be someone going through with a sex change between meeting again - guess that's already been done too, though ...

Fox_paw_tribal
joined Feb 25, 2013

"Thirsty" needs to be used as a sfx more often.

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

Remove "that was just for the guys" and there you go, a better doujin.

Dosen't make it better that she likes guys but feel that she can only be herself with that girl?

You see, I defended a similar point with a female character who is in a romantic relationship with another woman who, upon asking her if she preferred men or women, she just answered that she preferred her (female) lover. I found it cute, even if it's an overused trope ("ohhh I'm not gay but I would date her as an exception!") Now, in this case it comes off as implying she probably would rather have her childhood friend as a boy but now that she found out the truth she has no choice but to just settle for her because she was her childhood love. Not a big deal, but it doesn't pander to me. Yes, I know it's comedy. No, it didn't fluster me much. It's a comedy one-shot.

Remove "that was just for the guys" and there you go, a better doujin.

How so?
Why do you believe that?

Because it sounded off to me.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Now, in this case it comes off as implying she probably would rather have her childhood friend as a boy but now that she found out the truth she has no choice but to just settle for her because she was her childhood love.

The story doesn't actually say that. The blonde is attracted to her now, regardless of their prior relationship. The one with the dark hair only seems concerned that one of them being a guy is the expected arrangement, and that she made such a ridiculous mistake when they were kids. She demonstrates that she's attracted to and is very comfortable getting physical with the blonde in the present, who doesn't resemble her child self at all. Nowhere does it say that either is settling, not attracted to the other, or "forced" to have a relationship because of their childhood attraction.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Magnificent. The "boyish kid I played with as a child grew up into a beautiful young woman" is one of my favorite yuri plot devices, but this is the first time I've seen it done double. (You'd think somebody would've thought of that sooner...) Now I need a whole manga of them, please.

Thank you very much, Mumei Scanlation.

last edited at Mar 7, 2018 1:50PM

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone in real life? I guess it could, it just seems so unlikely. But I see it all the time in manga which makes me wonder if it's actually a thing in Japan.

I used to think a girl who used to bully me on elementary school was just a boy who liked to pick on girls for some reason. I mean, i didn't fall for her or anything of the sort, but i did use to think she was a boy because her demeanor was that of a big macho tough guy and had a raspy voice.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Mizusi posted:

Now, in this case it comes off as implying she probably would rather have her childhood friend as a boy but now that she found out the truth she has no choice but to just settle for her because she was her childhood love.

It doesn't. All she said is that she dressed cutely etc. on purpose to appeal to guys, but since they hooked up, she has no reason to do it anymore. You guys really get way to worked up over trying to deny it, but they both thought the other was a guy and were in love with each other, so at least at that point they were clearly attracted to guys. So if they didn't see each other since then, is it really that surprisingly at least one of them would be actively seeking out other guys to date? Also, the idea of putting on a act, choosing specific cloths etc in order to increase your chances of finding a lover is nothing new or uncommon and definitely not something unique only to women. So it isn't really as if she was forced to behave this way, but rather chose to. Also there wasn't even a single hint of any settling. She didn't say anything like "Oh well, it can't be helped if you are a girl" or "I guess I'll have to get used to it.". In fact she specifically said, they should go out after other girl said, she was her first love too and doesn't mind how cute she got. Actually, now that I think about it, if she was already looking for relationship, her immediate respond to hook up make perfect sense. Damn, you are making me overanalyze this 4 page manga...

Anyway, whatever they are bi, that was special occasion or they all along somehow instinctively knew the other is a girl and that is why they fallen for them is another topic, but in the end it is irrelevant. It is a short gag manga about twist on "I thought you were a boy when we were kids" that ended up going full yuri. You can argue all day about their sexuality etc. but at the end of the day they both hooked up, so I don't know what else you guys want.

Parnifia the Bastard
Chrome_2018-04-13_12-33-32-min%20(3)
joined Aug 4, 2014

You can argue all day about their sexuality etc. but at the end of the day they both hooked up, so I don't know what else you guys want.

Honestly, it's better to not acknowledge the people who are acting like that. They're not contributing to any meaningful discussion, and replying to them encourages them to keep posting.

And please share your story after is finished.

I hadn't actually planned on finishing it soon, but... Hmmm. If things go smoothly with my current story (ideally ending with it getting published) I'll see about finishing and posting this one.

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

The story doesn't actually say that. The blonde is attracted to her now, regardless of their prior relationship. The one with the dark hair only seems concerned that one of them being a guy is the expected arrangement, and that she made such a ridiculous mistake when they were kids. She demonstrates that she's attracted to and is very comfortable getting physical with the blonde in the present, who doesn't resemble her child self at all.

I suppose I misinterpreted it. You're right.

Nowhere does it say that either is settling, not attracted to the other, or "forced" to have a relationship because of their childhood attraction.

Isn't settling just accepting to go steady with one another? I actually like that sort of thing and thought it was like this in this one-shot. I did not claim they weren't attracted to each other nor that it was forced (I intended to put it as a "well lol shouganai" way), they very clearly were into one another from beginning to end.

Also there wasn't even a single hint of any settling

Well, fuck my English and what I think words mean but then don't.

She didn't say anything like "Oh well, it can't be helped if you are a girl" or "I guess I'll have to get used to it.". In fact she specifically said, they should go out after other girl said, she was her first love too and doesn't mind how cute she got

That's how I had perceived it at first. Then overthinking me (but by no means worked up, I was simply voicing my thoughts on it, I enjoyed this short) assumed what I already mentioned earlier.

Actually, now that I think about it, if she was already looking for relationship, her immediate respond to hook up make perfect sense. Damn, you are making me overanalyze this 4 page manga...

Meh, I don't see anything wrong. It's silly but fun, so why not? Write a 10 paragraph essay about it for all I care.

I don't know what else you guys want.

Specific niche yuri stories with niche characters and niche storylines pandering specifically to me and only me with no exceptions outside of what I do not approve of. And my favorite yuri getting an anime adaptation while everyone else gets nothing at all.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nowhere does it say that either is settling, not attracted to the other, or "forced" to have a relationship because of their childhood attraction.

Isn't settling just accepting to go steady with one another? I actually like that sort of thing and thought it was like this in this one-shot. I did not claim they weren't attracted to each other nor that it was forced (I intended to put it as a "well lol shouganai" way), they very clearly were into one another from beginning to end.

"Settling" in this case would mean "resigned to something lesser than what you actually want". As in "settling for less". The implication is that she sees a relationship with this woman to be inferior, and she's only doing it because of...well, it's not really clear in that case. There's literally no pressure on her and it's not because she couldn't get a guy if she wanted.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Mizusi posted:

I don't know what else you guys want.

Specific niche yuri stories with niche characters and niche storylines pandering specifically to me and only me with no exceptions outside of what I do not approve of. And my favorite yuri getting an anime adaptation while everyone else gets nothing at all.

That is pretty honest xD

I just want to clarify, that I didn't really mean specifically you. That is 1 annoying thing in english, especially when you write on forum. I was arguing about few of your points, but part of it was already argued in thread so I was addressing those people as well. In that cases I usually try to use "you guys" to different the plural you, from singular, but as I can see, that still doesn't do the job most of the time.

Badass%20yuyuko%20-%20avatar2
joined Dec 4, 2015

It's kinda impressive how a single sentence can trigger such discussions.

41tfud1d6wl
joined Jun 14, 2016

I'd fall for that boobs too

67506994_2379230249025008_6717202531660857344_n
joined Mar 13, 2017

Man I sure love reading the comments in this kind of plot twist, It's pretty funny.

To reply you must either login or sign up.