Forum › Citrus discussion

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Your comment remember me, the only reason she has to do this is because of her father, she has to do all this shit because her dad decided to do his thing and let a teenage girl have to shoulder everything. Regardless of if he loves her that is a giant dick move.

Yep. This. Very much this. For all the murderous hate I saw directed against the grandfather, people seem to give Shou a free pass. He deserted his own duties, and people seem to actually like that, but they never take the bigger picture into account. Not to get into the practical obligations families such as Aiharas have to their employees, and in this case students as well, because we covered that at length in previous thread pages, but suffice to say Shou's choice impacted a lot of people beyond just himself. Most importantly, his own daughter, who is in this predicament solely because of him. Also, his very existence is proof enough the grandfather is not that bad as people paint him to be, if he was, then Shou would never be allowed to leave, and this conflict would not exist. Still, Shou gets like, zero negative feelings as far as I have seen. He is an adult travelling the world in a philosophical search for himself, while his teenage daughter is left to pick up the duties he abandoned. Oh, and yeah, his leaving left Mei even more emotionally broken. That too seems to have been forgotten.

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 3:46PM

joined Apr 7, 2016

Keep in mind, guys, despite all this angst, Saburouta has apparently stated many times that there WILL be a happy ending. So this absurd break-up (Mei, you're a fucking jackass) is only one of the many obstacles of angst our girls will have to go through before they get their happy ending.

Also, side note, can I just say that Saburouta was really good with all that foreshadowing? Like, Yuzu hugging Mei in the library and asking if it's okay to love her? Anyone remember that? I remember, initially, I passed Mei's hesitance to answer as shyness, but it really wasn't.

And another side note, I love Yuzu's friends. You can tell throughout the chapter, they're all feeling really bad for her. Especially Matsuri. Even Himeko seemed down after she was done scolding Yuzu, and Shirapon's noticing that Yuzu was still wearing her ring was a nice touch. Her expression didn't really change, but you can tell she was thinking something like, "I'm so sorry you're still in pain, Yuzu."

Can't believe we gotta wait another two months before Chapter 37. Ah well. That gives me time to reread this whole guilty pleasure manga and keep up with the anime!

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Saburouta has already received death threats from (western) fans. Go figure.

Holy fuck... Some people are mental. I was actually wondering if Saburouta had to deal with angry fans judging by the reactions of some people in here (most notable one, a person wishing that the author of Nestuzou Trap gets cancer); but to have it actually happen... Well, what am I saying, this is the internet, the place where the respect died some time since... Wait, do you have to be born in the first place before dying?

Yeah, holy fuck. It's the internet where people can put their feelings out there without filter and without thinking about that the other person, that they are insulting, is a person too... O.o
It's also a strange idea for me that people can influence the story. It's the author's story, if they don't like it, they should just walk away. Or draw their own manga, see how well they do that! :<

That said, it was a hard and heartbreaking chapter to take in :'( but I also wouldn't say it was out of character. I'm hoping for a good resolve. Taking your space like that is a major thing. You can't just laugh it off. I wonder how it will be resolved.

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Even if it does become a happy ending... I just feel like the relationship didn't do anything to get there. Saburouta had an entire series to make it believable and she failed miserably at it. I'd be cool with this if there were say, 3-4 volumes left to go. But with only one 4 chapter volume left? Good luck making that work.

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 3:51PM

Avvvvvvvvv
joined May 20, 2016

In the middle of the main plot, it looks like Glasses got Mitsuko. And Matsuri had a growth spurt, other than being now a first year at the Academy.

joined Apr 7, 2016

Your comment remember me, the only reason she has to do this is because of her father, she has to do all this shit because her dad decided to do his thing and let a teenage girl have to shoulder everything. Regardless of if he loves her that is a giant dick move.

Yep. This. Very much this. For all the murderous hate I saw directed against the grandfather, people seem to give Shou a free pass. He deserted his own duties, and people seem to actually like that, but they never take the bigger picture into account. Not to get into the practical obligations families such as Aiharas have to their employees, and in this case students as well, because we covered that at length in previous thread pages, but suffice to say Shou's choice impacted a lot of people beyond just himself. Most importantly, his own daughter, who is in this predicament solely because of him. Also, his very existence is proof enough the grandfather is not that bad as people paint him to be, if he was, then Shou would never be allowed to leave, and this conflict would not exist. Still, Shou gets like, zero negative feelings as far as I have seen. He is an adult travelling the world in a philosophical search for himself, while his teenage daughter is left to pick up the duties he abandoned. Oh, and yeah, his leaving left Mei even more emotionally broken. That too seems to have been forgotten.

That is true. I've never seen anyone really complain that much about Shou. But also, I hope this means that Shou will somehow redeem himself in future chapters. Like, he finally returns after soul searching and traveling and hears about this and learns that Mei actually isn't in love with her fiancee. So, he somehow breaks the engagement off. I hope that happens. It'd be one of the few proper things he's done as a parent.

Untitled%20(1)
joined Aug 24, 2016

while the drama continues to pile on at least their moving the story forward a little

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

36 chapters later, Mei's feelings and intentions are finally revealed.

Although she unknowingly ended up running away from her feelings again, this time, she knows where she's going. She was able to make a choice for herself for the first time in her life.

I hated Mei for the first 20+ chapters of the story. Her indecision, unwillingness to communicate and lack of independence caused so much unnecessary drama, it made (arguably) the two most sensible characters (Harumi and Matsuri) dislike her (which is obviously not the case anymore).

But the past several chapters have shown Mei growing up and hatching from her shell, thanks to Yuzu's endless supply of patience and persistence. Mei now has a sense of self, and has come to understand her own feelings.

It just sucks that, thanks to Yuzu's guidance, Mei has chosen to walk down this new path alone. But at the same time, I think it's good that Mei doesn't attribute Yuzu as her meaning in life, and instead, thinks of Yuzu as the person who helped her find her place in the world.

Download202001sdsfsfdsfsdfdsfdsfs02154639
joined Apr 18, 2016

That is true. I've never seen anyone really complain that much about Shou. But also, I hope this means that Shou will somehow redeem himself in future chapters. Like, he finally returns after soul searching and traveling and hears about this and learns that Mei actually isn't in love with her fiancee. So, he somehow breaks the engagement off. I hope that happens. It'd be one of the few proper things he's done as a parent.

So Mei wont have to learn anything herself and some dude will swoop in and save their dysfunctional relationship for them. :/

Avvvvvvvvv
joined May 20, 2016

Shou pisses me off, and too many do give him a free pass. We know he was a very stern man, just like Mei's grandfather, and imprinted his world views on Mei since she was a child.
Then one day he had his sudden "revelation", made a 180°, became a hippy for the lulz (in the middle of a divorce, too) and asked a grade schooler about a decision that a little girl couldn't take. Saying that Mei should've gone with him is too easy.

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 3:56PM

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Keep in mind, guys, despite all this angst, Saburouta has apparently stated many times that there WILL be a happy ending. So this absurd break-up (Mei, you're a fucking jackass) is only one of the many obstacles of angst our girls will have to go through before they get their happy ending.

Also, side note, can I just say that Saburouta was really good with all that foreshadowing? Like, Yuzu hugging Mei in the library and asking if it's okay to love her? Anyone remember that? I remember, initially, I passed Mei's hesitance to answer as shyness, but it really wasn't.

And another side note, I love Yuzu's friends. You can tell throughout the chapter, they're all feeling really bad for her. Especially Matsuri. Even Himeko seemed down after she was done scolding Yuzu, and Shirapon's noticing that Yuzu was still wearing her ring was a nice touch. Her expression didn't really change, but you can tell she was thinking something like, "I'm so sorry you're still in pain, Yuzu."

Can't believe we gotta wait another two months before Chapter 37. Ah well. That gives me time to reread this whole guilty pleasure manga and keep up with the anime!

You got it right, Yuzu's friends being sad and worried about her was quite sweet.
Oh the library..I just thought back then Mei wasn't sure cos she didn't even understand..now I see it differently, the anime is going quite well I must say I'm loving the adaptation and Matsuri is ready to stir things up!

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Please don't let Mei fuck the fiance!... I feel like i have to write this 10 times and then sacrifice a goat over an altar to Satan, so that, for the price of my soul, my wish will come true

That won't happen.
Japanese fans loved this chapter (while being sad, how could they not) because of Mei's POV, and they're very hopeful. As I said earlier, completely different reactions.

Maybe it's because in western shows there is often really shitty endings for the lesbian couples and people have gotten maybe a bit oversensitive. Don't know how it is in Japanese media. It's probably not even portrait directly there, whereas in western culture it is still used to "shock" people -> "what can we do to make the show more interesting?" "let's have two girls kissing, because it's sexy, they can still end up with men after two seasons." That might be some of the producer's line of thought...
Well, I still have hope. There are always some signs to begin with, if it's a shitty queerbaiting storyline or some actual romantic story. And here the signs still point to YURI :3 (aside from the mangaka's statement, too.)

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

@ UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins

But we all know this manga is going to end with Mei getting both, Yuzu AND the Academy (well at least in some form, maybe her father takes over till she is older).
I get the social and cultural stuff (even if it is not as hardcore anymore as it used to be in Japan) but this is still a fictional story and not some hyperrealistic drama. It will end like most boring drama ends, some perfect solution. But what is the most annoying, Mei NEVER tries to fight. She never tries to question her grandfather or anything. She is a submissive slave to his wishes, even if she writes otherwise. Managing the Academy was indoctrinated into her since she was a young child.

This is Yuri-Hime's flagship yuri series. Anything but a 110% happy ending would hurt them. So we can be sure the Editor wont allow any silly stuff like sex with fiance or god forbid another timeskip with her being married.

joined Apr 25, 2017

Even if it does become a happy ending... I just feel like the relationship didn't do anything to get there. Saburouta had an entire series to make it believable and she failed miserably at it. I'd be cool with this if there were say, 3-4 volumes left to go. But with only one 4 chapter volume left? Good luck making that work.

Are there only 3-4 chapters left????? How do you know that?

Avvvvvvvvv
joined May 20, 2016

Are there only 3-4 chapters left????? How do you know that?

I think people are assuming because Saburouta pairs the volumes, and the next one (after the one that will be on sale next month) will be the 10th. Nothing has been said/confirmed.

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 4:02PM

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

(even if it is not as hardcore anymore as it used to be in Japan)

I heard it depends of which generation you are, depending if you're an old ass or a young idiot. The old are still attached to traditions, Japan is split between those two camps, from what I learned, and, at the moment, the old are still in the lead (and I'd wager they are even more in the lead in richer circle).

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 4:03PM

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Uh-oh, what do you guys think? Will Mei get married and Yuzu crash the marriage ceremony?

Avvvvvvvvv
joined May 20, 2016

Uh-oh, what do you guys think? Will Mei get married and Yuzu crash the marriage ceremony?

I don't think it'll get to that. On another note, I think it's weird that Ume (Yuzu's mom) hasn't realized what's going on between the girl after Mei told her not to say anything to Yuzu, and I wonder where she was going in this chapter (meeting with Mei, maybe?) and what Yuzu was going to tell her before stopping herself.

joined Apr 25, 2017

Can someone tell me in which chapter the big sister and glasses girl gave a hint on their future romance? ( i saw that in this chapter they were together). I do not remember them ever giving the hint of being in love with each other.

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I really liked this chapter. It finally allow us to understand Mei's actions. And while dramatic, it does show Mei's enormous grow as character.She loves Yuzu with all of her being but the Aihara legacy is a burden she will never be able to shed and is a responsibility she's willingly taking over herself. And to that end she believes the best thing she can do for Yuzu is to break things off and move away in an attempt to force Yuzu to move forward (even if Mei herself wouldn't).

The development itself isn't very original and is actually a pretty cliche within romance but it does tie effectively all the pieces Saburota has been placing all over the series, finally completing the puzzle that Mei is.

joined Jan 20, 2018

Citrus sure always manages to attract a lot of attention. And, as always, the reactions here are diametrically opposite from the ones that the Japanese readers had, that's pretty funny.

So thay are happy with this situation?

Avvvvvvvvv
joined May 20, 2016

Citrus sure always manages to attract a lot of attention. And, as always, the reactions here are diametrically opposite from the ones that the Japanese readers had, that's pretty funny.

So thay are happy with this situation?

No, they're actually very sad about the situation the girls are in but liked the chapter in itself, especially because of Mei's POV.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Can someone tell me in which chapter the big sister and glasses girl gave a hint on their future romance? ( i saw that in
this chapter they were together). I do not remember them ever giving the hint of being in love with each other.

I think it's one of the extras, perhaps the one in vol5 but I'm not sure. But it's most probably in one of the extra where the big sister hints at a sistercomplex. So perhaps their interaction in here gave some hints.

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 4:10PM

Fb99a412e56031b0a8f5568f284d39f1435bb314_hq
joined Nov 19, 2017

fuuuuuuck you no , no no nooooooooo , FUCKIDDY FUCK YOU

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

I think this might has been the most important chapter in the entire series.

To reply you must either login or sign up.