Forum › Beloved L discussion

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Planning far ahead, huh.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Ding Yi is serious in a way young people often are and older people very rarely are. Wei Wei is kinda hedging her bets still, trying not to go deeper than a physical relationship, trying not to face it head on - and I don't really blame her. Being with Ding Yi means making hard choices, and who knows if Ding Yi will keep that youthful sincerity? Ironically, being the older one her position is weak in a certain way.

But I kinda root for Ding Yi. I mean, why the hell not, if it makes you happy? A career is just as fickle as any love affair, you can find you can't go on in the middle, or it can not work out how you expected. Maybe it won't last either, most people find themselves changing something up in the middle.

That said, if they did stay together, would that even work in China? Would Wei Wei be likely to lose her job even if Ding Yi was older? I know China is on the middle of a media crackdown on LGBT stuff like this very comic. Would they have to hide? Or move overseas?

In the end, society is going to say what it wants, but your own happiness isn't society's to decide, and doing what's "proper" isn't anything like a guarantee you'll be happy with the results. But if you decide to go your own way, you have to be serious about it.

Lalala Ñañaña
Aaaaaaaa%20(1)
joined Oct 6, 2015

That was a beautiful chapter. Thanks for sharing your translation with us.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

That said, if they did stay together, would that even work in China? Would Wei Wei be likely to lose her job even if Ding Yi was older? I know China is on the middle of a media crackdown on LGBT stuff like this very comic. Would they have to hide? Or move overseas?

It's not illegal (anymore) but there'd be no support of any kind. No adoption of children or anything either. And I don't think those "adult adoption" tricks that have been done in Japan are possible in China.

I guess the age gap might actually be useful to hide their relationship? Everybody would probably first assume they are relatives or something. I'd suspect with Wei Wei working in health care it'd be risky to come out at work (stupid as people are but that's the kind of thing were bigots are particularly touchy about having LGBT workers).

0025_2d6ec0da0f4bf2e38ab1a00396fa809b
joined Feb 7, 2013

What is a foreign voucher that dr.wei said in ch.11?

Lazechu%20cut
joined Apr 27, 2014

Interesting question. They're called Foreign Exchange Certificates and they were used in the past in China as an alternative form of currency, rather than letting foreigners have direct access to yuan. You can read more about them here: http://www.borrowedculture.com/2010/11/26/foreign-exchange-certificates/

I'm not sure why Wei Wei would have had to use them though.

0025_2d6ec0da0f4bf2e38ab1a00396fa809b
joined Feb 7, 2013

Interesting question. They're called Foreign Exchange Certificates and they were used in the past in China as an alternative form of currency, rather than letting foreigners have direct access to yuan. You can read more about them here: http://www.borrowedculture.com/2010/11/26/foreign-exchange-certificates/

I see. :o Thank you very much! :D

Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Every time, again and again, I'm just perplexed, flabbergasted, blown away by this author's art. Amazingly emotional and beautiful. I can feel it.

joined Jun 12, 2015

This is true art.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Hot!

joined Feb 28, 2018

Wei Wei was making fun of their huge age gap bc young ppl (Dings age) wouldn't know what a foreign voucher is.

BellaLestrange
C8jj6l5uiaacadt_jpg__1llcu
joined Aug 13, 2017

I can't handle this art!!!!! It's soo daaamn beautiful and well done it hurts

last edited at Mar 3, 2018 10:43PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I can't handle this art!!!!! It's soo daaamn beautiful and well done it hurts

Truly. Sometimes I just open up a random chapter and start re-reading. Like I did earlier today.

And, as you said, it’s not just the way the art looks, either—the pacing in that chapter with the ex-girlfriend in the cafe was just superb.

Lewd
joined Jun 23, 2015

And it updates once again! This is my favorite story on the site. This chapter was so gorgeous, but so much white space and just sorta... nothing, I guess? It solidifies the ex's presence in the story, and now I'm scared for the girl, but I doubt the ex would do anything horrible. Maybe. She might bring legal stuff into this. Naaah, this story isn't that dramatic, right?

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

The L is for Luigisbians

Midnightgunner
Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Whoa. Fucking powerful. I've read somewhere that this chapter was, at some extent, an autobibliography. That it was about a personal experience from the author that made her very emotional talking about it.

Now, I don't know if any of that is true. Maybe i should search for it. Nevertheless, still a very strong use of imagery and introspective here. Very good chapter.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

L for Loser... that's what she is, 'cause she didnt bet on love and went to marry and be unhappy

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

A real fool indeed..

Midnightgunner
Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

L for Loser... that's what she is, 'cause she didnt bet on love and went to marry and be unhappy

It could actually be for a lot of things:

Beloved Lady
Beloved Lesbian
Beloved Loli
Beloved Lolicon
Beloved Lass
Beloved Life
Beloved Lips
Beloved Light
Beloved Lie
Beloved Liaison
Beloved Liberty
Beloved Lust
Beloved Lure
Beloved Legend
Beloved Look
Beloved Llama (I personally think it's this one)

The%20scientist%20edit
joined Mar 9, 2013

Wow, chapter 16 is somewhat painful.

Eesh, talk about taking someone's presence for granted and then losing them entirely.

200069l%20(1)%20(1)
joined Dec 25, 2015

Ah, that was so sad.

joined Sep 11, 2014

The long wait was absolutely worth it. One of the best chapters I've ever read.

RIkai Uploader
Lazechu%20cut
joined Apr 27, 2014

Beloved Lady...

Or maybe it's Beloved Lu. Doctor x Doctor is the inevitable end game?!

joined Aug 25, 2016

I don't know how to say this( I'm not good with words) but even if the chapters are short the different expressions the characters have and how the creater puts words together, I feel like they say so much. I love it!

joined Jan 31, 2015

Beloved Lady...

Or maybe it's Beloved Lu. Doctor x Doctor is the inevitable end game?!

T____T but i want wei wei to end up with ding yi

To reply you must either login or sign up.