Forum › I Want To Draw Ero-Manga discussion

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I'm not pretending anything. Well, this one I could take or not, but otherwise I genuinely like them - I agree, the abrupt ends to her chapters are often odd, but I'd still rather take her simplistic art with original topics over something that looks great and rehashes the same tropes again and again.

No crime to have different tastes.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Simple art doesn't necessarily mean bad art. It's more a matter of how effective it is at getting across expressiveness, telling characters apart, and so on.

The other side of the coin is that Mochi's stuff isn't flawless, and how short the chapters are plays into that. Now deliberately working within a confined space can really work well, but it doesn't always and sometimes Mochi's choice to mostly do 4-page works leaves characters undeveloped, jokes that fall flat, and plots that just randomly end before they really get started. Most of her work is really good, but sometimes, well...

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Mochi's stuff is just the same thing over and over, way too short due to their lack of an attention span, and the art is barely a step above stick figures. Why are we all pretending to like it? We're not helping anyone by lowering our standards to this extreme point, we're just enabling laziness.

"Enabling" how? What could we be doing instead in response to this work, and why would we do it?

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

Ahh, another autobiography huh mochi?

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................what?

last edited at Feb 12, 2018 4:18PM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Not only that, her mother dresses her funny! This is an outrage!

People should try drawing at her level before judging it.
There is vastly worse art on Dynasty Reader, so I dunno how this one is the standards-breaker.

They can't all be Gensou Kuro Usagi

Also this one was so cringeworthy I am not sure it had anywhere to go. Leaving it where it did kept it funny.

last edited at Feb 12, 2018 6:42PM

Parnifia the Bastard
Chrome_2018-04-13_12-33-32-min%20(3)
joined Aug 4, 2014

Simple art doesn't necessarily mean bad art. It's more a matter of how effective it is at getting across expressiveness, telling characters apart, and so on.

The other side of the coin is that Mochi's stuff isn't flawless, and how short the chapters are plays into that. Now deliberately working within a confined space can really work well, but it doesn't always and sometimes Mochi's choice to mostly do 4-page works leaves characters undeveloped, jokes that fall flat, and plots that just randomly end before they really get started. Most of her work is really good, but sometimes, well...

I have to say, every time Mochi does a follow-up to a one-shot manga, I just wonder why they weren't a unified story to begin with.

joined Aug 10, 2016

I have to say, every time Mochi does a follow-up to a one-shot manga, I just wonder why they weren't a unified story to begin with.

she probably thought of the follow up way later.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Mochi's stuff is just the same thing over and over, way too short due to their lack of an attention span, and the art is barely a step above stick figures. Why are we all pretending to like it? We're not helping anyone by lowering our standards to this extreme point, we're just enabling laziness.

"Enabling" how? What could we be doing instead in response to this work, and why would we do it?

Don't enjoy what I don't enjoy.

Stop enjoying it. Please.

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Also this one was so cringeworthy I am not sure it had anywhere to go.

Really? Huh, I guess I've been so desensitized by Mochi's cringe I didn't think this was even that bad.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I thought “Don’t spread it!” was hilarious.

joined Nov 26, 2017

I feel hungry reading Mochi's name all over this thread. LOL

Parnifia the Bastard
joined Aug 4, 2014

she probably thought of the follow up way later.

Obviously. My point is that they didn't feel to me like complete stories to begin with, and would have benefited from the extended length and plot. I suppose it's a difference in design philosophies. And as Nezchan said, sometimes the short lengths work perfectly well... but sometimes they just don't at all, and it bugs me that something was released essentially incomplete when it could have been released later in a more finished state if the artist had mulled over the idea longer.
Of course, this is entirely subjective.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

The sea turtle joke is pretty funny ngl

joined Oct 26, 2016

Really? Huh, I guess I've been so desensitized by Mochi's cringe I didn't think this was even that bad.

Lately it feels like Mochi's work tries to go for shock value too much. The characters don't feel shippable at all and have lost most of their charm. Plots have no staying power and no direction as past that shock point there isn't anything to build upon with the characters so it ends up being cringy and empty.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Lately it feels like Mochi's work tries to go for shock value too much. The characters don't feel shippable at all and have lost most of their charm. Plots have no staying power and no direction as past that shock point there isn't anything to build upon with the characters so it ends up being cringy and empty.

What I'd really like to see is for Mochi to try a long-form story that's actually planned out. I think a lot of her series are done in an ad-hoc kind of way, incorporating whatever she's thinking of at the time. I think she's got good ideas, so a piece where she gives herself the chance to think them through and characters get space on the page to grow, she could probably do something really special.

Flame_zpsf26fa56d
joined Aug 15, 2015

"Let's get back to enjoying Mochi okey"

I found it kinda hot when she was spread a little bit at the end :3.

Parnifia the Bastard
joined Aug 4, 2014

What I'd really like to see is for Mochi to try a long-form story that's actually planned out. I think a lot of her series are done in an ad-hoc kind of way, incorporating whatever she's thinking of at the time. I think she's got good ideas, so a piece where she gives herself the chance to think them through and characters get space on the page to grow, she could probably do something really special.

I would say Kasumi and Acchan at least approaches that ideal, more so than Met My Sister (which quite frankly went on a bit too long for how much story it had) and Yuri Natsu (which has too many characters, too little focus, and doesn't feel like any sort of cohesive narrative). If Mochi isn't continuing that series because she doesn't have any ideas currently, I can appreciate that, but at the same time, things like A Neighbor aren't helping my patience.

Although, thinking about it more, perhaps Mochi's inability to draw sex scenes is what's keeping K&A from continuing?

Reimu-shock
joined Mar 27, 2015

I think this is a message for us that Mochi really have a hard time to draw sex scenes XD

joined Aug 13, 2017

mochi life in 4 pictures

joined Jun 3, 2017

Wtf are you talking about

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Kasumi and Acchan

Never forget.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

What I'd really like to see is for Mochi to try a long-form story that's actually planned out.

It'd be nice if any yuri author did that, actually. ^^

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

This. Just got done feeling, "what's the point to anything?" Came here, then realized, "oh yeah this is the point." I really need to start learning Japanese.

Yes don't let your ero manga dreams be dreams. Also if Japan has strip clubs if not the internet.

Women are probably more likely to get back strain due to carrying at least 2 two-pound boobs at all times and our lack of natural muscle tone and flexibility. It's...yeah welcome to adulthood Mochi.

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

Kasumi and Acchan

Never forget.

Only 90s kids remember when it was called More Than Friends.

To reply you must either login or sign up.