Forum › Their Story discussion

joined Jan 11, 2018

You know, I like Mo Xiao Nan. I have to admire her bravery for constantly trying to get closer to Sun Jing, even when she doesn't seem interested. There is a point at which she has to accept Sun Jing has no interest in her, which will likely be the end of this arc, but, to say she's only there as a love rival I think is unfair to her. This update makes it clear too, what the depths of her feelings are, and I always like characters who I can relate to in some aspect. The bullying scene shows an element of bravery and naivety that felt very real. Not thinking things through completely, expecting somebody who's too scared to even stand up for themselves stand up for her, not blaming them or even the bullies for the situation she's in, but claiming responsibility for her actions. I like that. If it was Sun Jing, she would have charged in without hesitation and somehow or another forced the bullies to stop, because that's how bullheaded and charismatic she is. This is a different scenario, of somebody who aims to do something but isn't lucky? strong? enough to carry it through. And here is Sun Jing showing up at just the right moment, displaying what Mo Xiao Nan lacks and desires.

Story-wise, if Xiao Nan needs to have a "reason" to be here, then yes I do think it's for Qiu Tong to show she's serious. But this arc and Xiao Nan's actions have been built up over time from the very beginning, her first appearance is in the second update, and this is not a random, half-assed melodrama act.

Not that it matters, but in the Weibo comments for this update, roughly half of the most upvoted comments are people appreciating Xiao Nan as a good person/somebody with a story/understandable/with compelling feelings. (The other half are joking that Qiu Tong has been squatting by the gate since last year but I digress.) So for the original reading population at least, there's no arguing about Mo Xiao Nan's place.

A normal way to do this is have them confess and the main character turn them down. But instead we get a stupid flashback making the main character out to be their knight in shinning armor (and if I know drama the girl has way too much wrapped up in getting Sun Jing's approval) leading probably a half a year of updates dealing with drama since this is building up for a few chapters despite the girl being a side character.

last edited at Jan 11, 2018 5:29PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

It's official, Mo is a beautiful cinnamon bun, and her inevitable heartbreak is going to tear me to pieces.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

It's official, Mo is a beautiful cinnamon bun, and her inevitable heartbreak is going to tear me to pieces.

</3 She'll be fine in the end.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Man, got to love seeing so many pissed off at a story development that has literally been there since the very beginning. It's just amazing the different reactions you see from the community. At the party when pinky showed up people were itching for drama, now that they kiss they all the sudden forgot about the whole thing.

I didn't see people wanting drama, I saw people annoyed that there was going to be drama coming since it was fuckin obvious. She has zero development before now, her existing before now doesn't make it less of a poor choice.

It's only a poor choice if you completely ignored her existence from the very beginning. To everyone else this has been an obvious development. The party scene solidified it, now people who all the sudden cant stand drama are creeping up to complain that the web comic is going to last a little longer than they thought.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

At the party when pinky showed up people were itching for drama, now that they kiss they all the sudden forgot about the whole thing.

Hey now! I wanted drama, I got drama, I am happy! So, umm... you are wrong?
I think the main reason some people changed their mind in the meantime is because almost no one expected the main couple to make such progress, and the readers were actually speculating how the fangirl could serve as a catalyst to make it happen, for example, by making QT jealous and such.

As it turned out, the progress happened without her participation, and her coming in immediately afterwards is what probably made people hostile. Remember, some have been waiting for this elevation in relationship status for years. That being said, as I mentioned in my previous comment, I do not think the inclusion of the fangirl arc at this point is nonsensical, I think it makes perfect sense. And I am enjoying the drama. Sadly, I talked myself out of downright hating the fangirl, but I am still looking forward to the inevitable heartbreak. All in all, this is nice.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

As it turned out, the progress happened without her participation, and her coming in immediately afterwards is what probably made people hostile. Remember, some have been waiting for this elevation in relationship status for years.

That is pretty much the main reason for me (and if I am allowed to speculate, many others). The main couple had a surprise kiss and their relationship jumped ahead a lot. Now instead of a few chapters them acting awkward in a cute way and stumble deeper into a cute romantic relationship.
Now we get a drama arc where people do not know how long it will be. Just 2-3 chapters? Or will it be more? Will it be months without the main couple interacting?
We just had a kiss. Something that is normally the payoff after a big drama arc. There are no big or even small issues in their relationship right now that a love rival arc could fix. So unless the author does some really amazing writing and somehow uses this arc to progress the relationship of the two it is pretty much a waste of time if you look at it from a purely main couple perspective.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Again, it's funny that people expected drama, were pleasantly surprised to see the drama averted and all the sudden are predicting even more drama. It's almost like people just forgot how the story just went against their expectations and all the sudden think their expectations are once again infallible.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

I don't know why I didn't read this earlier, it's so sweet. Sun Jing's reactions are like the sweetest ever, she knows when to not let go, it's wonderful!

Didn't read the whole post (a bit too long), but I guess this other girl had to make a move one time or another. Can't wait to see the rest, thanks for the translation!

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

[snip]
It actually makes perfect sense for that party scene to be the catalyst for the fan girl finally making a move, probably out of sheer desperation.
[snip]

I actually agree with this line of reasoning. From the Watsonian perspective, her entering the story at this particular moment makes perfect sense. From the Doylist POV, however, it was largely uncalled for IMO.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

I don't understand the issue with a love triangle. This girl has been in the story since the beginning (I think she was there even before Qui Tong) and the fact that she liked Sun Jing was pretty obvious. Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long for her to be put in the spotlight.

Anyway, I have a feeling the love triangle will be resolved soon, maybe. I'm hoping for a mature response from the characters about this.

What's so hard to understand? Some people just don't like them. We literally have tags so we can avoid them if we want to and the reasons for not liking them may be different for different people. My reasons for not liking them may be nothing like someone else's.

Sometimes they can't even be avoided because they don't even show up until the story has gone on for years. And some character mewling around in the background as hints doesn't mean it's going to be a love triangle. Might be a red herring. Or a character with some other issue.

As for myself, I won't drop a story I'm into when one comes up unless I feel the story is starting to lack in a number of other ways as well.

last edited at Jan 12, 2018 7:24PM

Mugi
joined Oct 17, 2016

I actually like Mo's character from the start and gladly Qiu Tong's character is finally make a big development from previous updates. I kinda know how's the plot going. Can't wait for other great development of each character. Tanjiu is doing great job.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I really could live with her ceasing to exist, she adds nothing to the main story, at least for me where I'm more focused on the main couple's romance that doesn't need another 3 years of basketball and whatnot to move forward.

I think she's really pretty, though.

Yeah she is pretty, now I kinda want her to get a good ending of her own

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

As it turned out, the progress happened without her participation, and her coming in immediately afterwards is what probably made people hostile. Remember, some have been waiting for this elevation in relationship status for years.

That is pretty much the main reason for me (and if I am allowed to speculate, many others). The main couple had a surprise kiss and their relationship jumped ahead a lot. Now instead of a few chapters them acting awkward in a cute way and stumble deeper into a cute romantic relationship.
Now we get a drama arc where people do not know how long it will be. Just 2-3 chapters? Or will it be more? Will it be months without the main couple interacting?
We just had a kiss. Something that is normally the payoff after a big drama arc. There are no big or even small issues in their relationship right now that a love rival arc could fix. So unless the author does some really amazing writing and somehow uses this arc to progress the relationship of the two it is pretty much a waste of time if you look at it from a purely main couple perspective.

Man, I'm sick and tired of all of these diversions with Mophead and his little girlfriend. It's a waste of time if you look at it from a purely main couple perspective.

What is with all this basketball playing and interacting with the hooligan from the other school? It's a waste of time if you look at it from a purely main couple perspective.

Why should we care about Xuezhang and Sun's friend? Their relationship is a waste of time if you look at it from a purely main couple perspective.

The main couple are not the only characters in this comic, nor do I wish them to be.

Mo Xiaonan has been a character in this comic almost since it began. She was around Sun Jing in almost every major scene at school, and her appearances have been building to this for awhile. She is a character of her own, with her own motivations and reasons for being smitten with Sun Jing, and I've been curious to see what her deal was literally for years.

last edited at Jan 15, 2018 1:49AM

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

I'm just happy I have been blessed to be able to read this story.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I'm so very mad

last edited at Jan 17, 2018 11:24PM

Weh
joined Nov 20, 2016

https://i.redd.it/afd29f2j4oa01.png

Whoa really? That's gotta be hard to deal with...

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015
joined Feb 2, 2017

o no

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016
F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I can read spanish but the pictures are way too tiny, the text looks like scribble

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016

I can read spanish but the pictures are way too tiny, the text looks like scribble

They look just fine with the fb app :/ so I guess it depends on what you are using to read

joined Jan 27, 2018

Oh this is so cute. Funny how I'm kinda in the same situation like Sun Jing. Though I'm not as brave as her yet T_T

Omg samee I’m in the same situation too but like we are not friend and I want to be friend but I’m not brave as sun jing to ask T_T :)

joined May 17, 2013

Man, I've been stressing like hell since last chapter thinking there was gonna be some ridiculous drawn out drama like citrus but it looks like it's gonna be fine, I can sleep easy tonight.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Man, I've been stressing like hell since last chapter thinking there was gonna be some ridiculous drawn out drama like citrus but it looks like it's gonna be fine, I can sleep easy tonight.

This was a filler chapter.

To reply you must either login or sign up.