Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

I don't know how or why, but albeit the banal tropes throughout this story, I'm enjoying this. Kuro's straightforward view of love is pretty refreshing (not counting the relationship she has with Miyabi, I found it plain silly) and so far the predictable plot devices have all been pretty digestible.

I don't see them ending up together.

Asukaoriii
joined Jul 24, 2015

I'm really interested in seeing more about grumpy-chan and Miyabi's relationship. I had a feeling that maybe Kuro had some sort of feelings for Uta but I'm happy that doesn't seem to be the case.

Honeyview_190197%20(3)
joined Dec 16, 2013

It's not particularly you, but I don't get why people expect romance stories to necessarily end as they would in real life (whatever that means) and, more dumbfounding, that they should hold some moral lesson and/or message attached to it - or that those who don't are bad, etc.

This.

joined Sep 23, 2017

Kuro's straightforward view of love is pretty refreshing (not counting the relationship she has with Miyabi, I found it plain silly)

What do you find "silly" about two people defining their own relationship together, unbound by the constraints of what is 'expected' or 'conventional' ?

Images%20(18)
joined Oct 18, 2017

@Heavensrun, clearly you have a different understanding of argumentum ad hominem against mine. Even your first comment is conflicting in itself. Ad hominem, simply put, is "to the person". Clearly, when you state, that " commenters are in denial" is already an ad hominem. You are directing "the commenter or the person" NOT "the issue".

If you provided evidences of your claimed Reiichi's cheating and I find it not substantial or merely speculations, then continue with more evidences. Don't add/write anymore, "you are in deep state of denial."

I have not made any ad hominems. Suggesting that someone's argument isn't realistic or that they are in denial is not an ad hominem. Argumentum ad hominem is a logical fallacy whereby you attack someone's character to discredit their argument, and I'm not doing any of that. My argument that Reiichi is clearly cheating is based on the evidence which I cited in my post.

So looking at comments here, there's a lot I want to comment on...

If you still don't think he's cheating, or that this chapter didn't conclusively demonstrate that he is, you are in a deep state of denial.

To reiterate once more again in looping:

These are your previous comments. As I repeat @Heavensrun, that is, ad hominem. You stated the definition of ad hominem, short for argumentum ad hominem, it is a latin word which means, "to the person". Clearly, when you say this, " If you still don't think he's cheating, or that this chapter didn't conclusively demonstrate that he is, you are in a deep state of denial."

That is clearly pointing to the "person" or "to whoever commenter of Dynasty scan" and not to the "issue" of the story. You don't have to say "idiot", "stupid" or any derogatory remarks to be in the confines of the definition of "argumentum ad hominem".

I appreciate you researched before you answer and with a long post as this.

However, the more you write, the more you make my argument good against you. Simply put, again, argue with your claim of cheating under the confines of the story. Cite instances, page number and as such.

Again, I want to make this clear again. So again, I am not eliminating that he didn't cheat. I even mention his looks when he was with Risako suggesting he was "cheating" especially the extended trip in "my-long-time-ago" comments. However, again, it could be work related as well since he represents the company. Thus, at this point, there are no clear-cut evidences against him. Again, everything that I can present as evidence of cheating can be rationalized as not. So, I hold his innocence still, again under this definition:

• voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a person who is not his or her spouse.

Again, @Heavensrun, clearly we don't agree in the definition. So, if you going to stick to your "I had not made any ad hominems", then I don't have any qualms about that. This will be my last piece with you regarding " ad hominem".

** NOTHING FOLLOWS **

Capture
joined Mar 12, 2014

The question of is the husband cheating or not doesn't have anything to do with the question of will Uta and Kaoru end up together. Him cheating doesn't mean Kaoru loves Uta romantically, it only makes us readers feel better if Kaoru and Uta really have an affair. And like pointed out by Ackerman, no clear evidence, so it's better to wait for more information before pointing fingers.

Also, reading this manga is clearly torturing yourself. Why did I do this to myself?

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

What do you find "silly" about two people defining their own relationship together, unbound by the constraints of what is 'expected' or 'conventional' ?

The fact it was suggested Miyabi demanded more romantically but in the end she just had to reluctantly come to terms with Kuro not wanting more intimacy, despite being aware that they in a relationship and she is hurting? It's convenient for Kuro because she inherently doesn't feel the need for more, but it's suffering and restraining for Miyabi.

I am not claiming Kuro should do anything outside of her comfort zone just to please Miyabi. But I can't see Miyabi feeling happy in the long term in those circumstances.

last edited at Jan 1, 2018 8:54AM

Vamoaver
joined Apr 16, 2013

Was she lying about not remembering the incident? Or did she remember everything when Uta handed the phone to her... Everything seems so random right now but i'm still hooked, i need more!!! ;;

joined Aug 15, 2015

Was she lying about not remembering the incident? Or did she remember everything when Uta handed the phone to her... Everything seems so random right now but i'm still hooked, i need more!!! ;;

She probably doesn't remember the detail about the incident. The emotion which caused her the shock, however, still linger so it just haunts her whenever something relates to the incident appears.

There's a story I've been hearing repeatedly in psych classes about a patient who can't make new memory and a doctor who kept doing unpleasant things to the patient. The patient could never remember the doctor nor recall the unpleasant events occur with the doctor. However, he kept feeling uncomfortable when that doctor is around.

joined Sep 23, 2017

The fact it was suggested Miyabi demanded more romantically but in the end she just had to reluctantly come to terms with Kuro not wanting more intimacy, despite being aware that they in a relationship and she is hurting? It's convenient for Kuro because she inherently doesn't feel the need for more, but it's suffering and restraining for Miyabi.

I am not claiming Kuro should do anything outside of her comfort zone just to please Miyabi. But I can't see Miyabi feeling happy in the long term in those circumstances.

You're making claims not supported by the source.
Miyabi was hurt because she didn't understand how Kuro felt and her expectations were not being met.
Kuro had her own thoughts and feelings on their relationship that she was struggling with, but wasn't communicating them.
Now that they've talked it over, Miyabi does understand, her expectations have changed, and they both seem happier.

You seem to essentially be arguing that asexuals and aromantics can never have successful happy relationships with those that are not also asexual/aromantic, which is just silly.

I think you're projecting how you might feel in Miyabi's position.
From Miyabi's perspective, it seems less a case of her thinking "I want [x]. I'm not getting [x]." and more "If we're [A], why doesn't Kuro want [B]?", and now that she knows why Kuro was the way she was, and is the way she is, Miyabi no longer experiences that anxiety and doubt, and is much happier with the nature of their relationship.

[part 1/2, because the spam filter is a bit zealous.]

last edited at Jan 3, 2018 10:01AM

joined Sep 23, 2017

[part 2/2]

I mean, you are aware that asexuals and aromantics exist, right?
Kuro literally says she is "lacking in the feelings and emotions of love", and further wonders whether she actually has the "right" to date someone she likes despite that.
(This is not an uncommon line of thought for actual people who are aromantic, and similarly for some asexuals.)

A previous post I made actually commented in regards to the implications that Kuro is ace/aro, and another poster expressed feeling similarly. I think it's wonderful for a representation of "unconventional" relationships to have been included, and I suspect that message of 'relationships are better defined by those in them' serves a narrative purpose here too, in regards to the larger arc with Uta & Kaoru.

I'm not sure your response actually explains what about their relationship is "silly" though.
It seems more like you wouldn't want a relationship like that for yourself, rather than the nature of it being wrongful or foolish, no?

last edited at Jan 3, 2018 10:02AM

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

You're making claims not supported by the source.
Miyabi was hurt because she didn't understand how Kuro felt and her expectations were not being met.
Kuro had her own thoughts and feelings on their relationship that she was struggling with, but wasn't communicating them.
Now that they've talked it over, Miyabi does understand, her expectations have changed, and they both seem happier.

Just because she understands them, it doesn't mean she'll automatically be happy from that instant realization. That's how I perceived it to be, at least, I guess I did wish they would show the dynamics of the relationship after they talked it over, to see how it played out on how they both feel and act with one another.

You seem to essentially be arguing that asexuals and aromantics can never have successful happy relationships with those that are not also asexual/aromantic, which is just silly.

What the fuck are you even on about. Miyabi is clearly not asexual or aromantic, hence my points earlier. Your baseless claim, which somehow does feel like you are feeling particularly offended as if anything I said was specifically aimed at you or asexuality, is completely out of the place.

I think you're projecting how you might feel in Miyabi's position.

Maybe.

I mean, you are aware that asexuals and aromantics exist, right?

I mean, you are aware you're blowing this out of proportion and attempting to make me look like I ever claimed asexuality wasn't a thing when this situation was fully created in your mind god knows why, right? I focused on Miyabi's feelings, needs and doubts, not Kuro's. I was straightforward and used simple language in this. Would you stop shifting my argument to your own weird obsession over this topic?

Kuro literally says she is "lacking in the feelings and emotions of love", and further wonders whether she actually has the "right" to date someone she likes despite that.

Yes, which like I said, it's not about how she feels because the relationship was conveniently pandering to her from the start. I was concerned about Miyabi's needs.

(This is not an uncommon line of thought for actual people who are aromantic, and similarly for some asexuals.)

Oh good lord, please just stop this. No one cares, it was not mentioned or questioned.

A previous post I made actually commented in regards to the implications that Kuro is ace/aro, and another poster expressed feeling similarly. I think it's wonderful for a representation of "unconventional" relationships to have been included, and I suspect that message of 'relationships are better defined by those in them' serves a narrative purpose here too, in regards to the larger arc with Uta & Kaoru.

I am not even going to bother with this "point" anymore, this was never something I brought up or implied otherwise. Go back to Yagakimi's thread and sperg over Yuu's "asexuality" instead, maybe they'll still find that relevant there. I don't blame you for your point of view, despite still finding the relationship silly, and yes, perhaps just because they still haven't shown us a substantial aftermath of Kuro and Miyabi's relationship after the conflict was resolved, yet it doesn't necessarily mean I need to agree with it while disposing of mine.

I'm not sure your response actually explains what about their relationship is "silly" though.

It does. You are correct when you say I might be biased regarding Miyabi's side of the story, but I clearly stated it.

It seems more like you wouldn't want a relationship like that for yourself, rather than the nature of it being wrongful or foolish, no?

I wouldn't. And while on my best efforts not to sympathize with Miyabi's situation, impartial me truly believes one side would always feel like something is missing, but they love the other party so they'll put up with it. If "silly" was the adjective that caused you this much confusion, unfair would probably be it. Lacking. Sacrificing.

"But why if both parties agreed to it?"

Because everyone has different needs. But to each their own, they're 2D cute girls so this whole issue will likely never even exist. Conflict resolved, back to MCs' storyline.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

It did seem like she might be just pretending not to know, or hiding the truth from herself. What I figure is that, if she doesn't remember it yet, she'll certainly remember it very soon.

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Well this fucking hurts.

I'm really disappointed in the brother!

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Oh, by the way. Cheating is not a "mistake". It's not like "oh, shit! I tripped and fell with my dick inside this random woman. My wife will be so mad! But It was an accident"

BEST. COMMENT. EVER.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

It did seem like she might be just pretending not to know, or hiding the truth from herself. What I figure is that, if she doesn't remember it yet, she'll certainly remember it very soon.

When the brother says that she got the fracture falling from the stairs, she says it's a lie. Meaning that she does remember that she fell from the stairs on the bridge when she saw her husband and her friend together. But she chose to pretend like she didn't remember. But then when she got the phone back she realized it was actually her friend that was the woman next to her husband. In other words, the woman her husband is cheating on her with. That's why she was surprised.

joined Mar 15, 2017

When the brother says that she got the fracture falling from the stairs, she says it's a lie.

She was just using "uso" as an exclamation of astonishment. It just means she woke up confused.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Finally someone got that! God bless you, loudsea. God bless you.

I got it too, but you missed my counter reference... I'm sad now...

joined Jun 12, 2015

Kuro is already ruined as character, so what ever.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

It's not particularly you, but I don't get why people expect romance stories to necessarily end as they would in real life (whatever that means) and, more dumbfounding, that they should hold some moral lesson and/or message attached to it - or that those who don't are bad, etc.

Have to agree with this .

And hey! More cat face! heh. "Please treat Kuro chan as a person."
That cover art though! I don't mean to impose my thoughts on what the relationship should be between the two girls in an actual relationship in this story. Respect if it is one without the convention levels of intimacy but it does look nice.

last edited at Jan 11, 2018 3:01PM

joined Mar 18, 2016

Should I read this?

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Should I read this?

Depends on what you like, it's pretty angsty but sweet sometimes. Try it and see for yourself, I guess.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I guess now that this story has come out as a gutter-tier garbage soap opera, I can stop expecting more and just enjoy it as such.

That seems a tad extreme as a reaction. I've read some Korean dramatic manhwa (never actually watched a soap opera) . . . I would take the ingredients for soap opera to involve multiple interlocking relationship complications and ongoing sequences of improbable (mostly negative) events.
One husband cheating on one wife is neither multiple, nor interlocking, nor (above all) improbable.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Looks like actual short term memory loss that got resolved rather than the full-blown amnesia cliché, so I don't mind that much. The cheating plot is more bothersome.

Unlike full blown amnesia, that kind of temporary memory loss after an accident is, I understand, quite common. And I do think it works well dramatically--gives the author a bit of room to maneuver and pull off certain scenes before things blow up, but doesn't ultimately evade the issue.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I thought it was pretty plain that she remembered on page 26. Up until then I'd say she had genuinely forgotten; on p.25 she's coming up with mistaken ideas about what happened, "That means I was with Risako that time..."
Then on p. 26 she looks at the cell phone, her expression is in shock, you've got the "really bad shit happening" background effects, and she then needs to hold Uta and starts crying. Page 26 is the memory-return moment.

To reply you must either login or sign up.