Forum › Ebisu-san and Hotei-san discussion

Icon
joined Mar 14, 2015

I'm just here to agree with everybody (just re-read the whole thing again...)
You can't just get enough Ebisu-san and Hotei-san...
However, I am from #lovetheendingTEAM xD because I feel it's part of the charm of all of this.
Also if you read the afterword Satou-sensei and Kizuki-sensei explain how they were thaught what 'yuri' is.
''Yuri is subtle, its beauty lies in its ambiguity...'' (though it means different things to different people). I agree with this definition, I'm not closed for certainty but, wouldn't you agree that the most memorable couples and stories are the ones that does not completely satisfy us? (I think I already made a point of this before somewhere) legends like MioRitsu, NanoFate, KyoSaya, NicoMaki (etc) all have something in common.
Besides, They are living together ... they are basically married!
Also (suporting Chantelune) Seems like Hana's friend is a girl, based on their same color backpacks.
Love to everybody! (/°^°)/ <3

Ng
joined Aug 17, 2016

can someone tell me where to find the manga showed on page 00e/ 00f?

Good
joined Jun 14, 2016

Really underrated. I had my doubts but this turned it to be a top fav for me. Amazing piece.

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

''Yuri is subtle, its beauty lies in its ambiguity...'' (though it means different things to different people). I agree with this definition, I'm not closed for certainty but, wouldn't you agree that the most memorable couples and stories are the ones that does not completely satisfy us? (I think I already made a point of this before somewhere) legends like MioRitsu, NanoFate, KyoSaya, NicoMaki (etc) all have something in common.

Gonna have to partially agree but mostly disagree. I do think the most beautiful romance stories are subtle ones
but it still feels like a cruel joke when it's never made fully clear, even in the very end, whether the characters' feelings are mutual. I honestly don't think a kiss at the end would have hurt this story, even though I love it as is.

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

^^^^that

id go as far as saying that what their editor told them is the biggest tragedy of this manga.

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

id go as far as saying that what their editor told them is the biggest tragedy of this manga.

What kind of sense does that make? It's not even particularly subtle, the resolution is just ambiguous for no clear benefit to the story. I'd go so far as to say the ending, without the extra, just comes off as weird

last edited at Dec 1, 2016 9:46PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The ending without the extra still finishes with Shrimp Mayo unambiguously saying she loves Hotei, and we already know how the latter feels.

What I love about all those couples is the fan works that actually allow them all to get together in a more satisfying manner without having to dance around the point. So I love them as couples despite the ambiguity, not because of it.

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

The ending without the extra still finishes with Shrimp Mayo unambiguously saying she loves Hotei, and we already know how the latter feels.

i wouldnt say unambiguously. she strongly implies it, sure, but she never actually says it. hell, the next page starts with "What is our relationship?"

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nezchan posted:

Shrimp Mayo

This confused the hell out of me for way longer than it should have. Yuri Guy's posts on the Yuri Project boards are under the name Shrimp Mayo, lol.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

i wouldnt say unambiguously. she strongly implies it, sure, but she never actually says it. hell, the next page starts with "What is our relationship?"

While she doesn't say it in so many words, I think there's no other interpretation of what she says and does, especially when she adds that sappy grin right after. I vote with Nezchan, it's unambiguous.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

While she doesn't say it in so many words, I think there's no other interpretation of what she says and does, especially when she adds that sappy grin right after. I vote with Nezchan, it's unambiguous.

I absolutely LOVE Mayo's smirk right after, she's like "I got one over on you for a change".

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Yuri Girl 1001 posted:

I'd say the ending is as unambiguous as it could possibly get short of them directly stating their feelings.

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

What the.....?!

What about the rest?! Why such incomplete ending? :(

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

I'd say the ending is as unambiguous as it could possibly get short of them directly stating their feelings.

Same. It's fine as it is.

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

Also moving in before they even date eachother, that is some hard core shit.

Hahahaha! XD That's hilarious! Oh man you are funny! I never even thought about that.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

at first I didn't really like the artstyle since it's an old kind of artstyle (and I don't like the old artstyle) but I just kept on reading it and I really enjoyed it

last edited at Mar 26, 2017 4:11AM

joined Feb 1, 2013

number one: do not hit the mother of a child in front of said child, no matter how much they deserve it
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/ebisu_san_and_hotei_san_ch04#13

and yeah, you can't always have a definite romantic ending... but still, I hate open ended ones like that.

though for the following reasons it isn't really open:
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/ebisu_san_and_hotei_san_extras#13
ok so not only were they really close like lovers, laughing and in that pseudo "i'm about to kiss you" position, but they also separated quickly after hana entered the room, which implies that they were worried that she would get the "wrong" idea.
next: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/ebisu_san_and_hotei_san_extras#21
second floor bedrooms. all the bedrooms are connected by a hallway, but ebi's room and hotei's room are connected by a balcony. note that the doors to ebi's room and hotei's room can be closed (and potentially locked, though I never suggest locking doors when you are taking care of a little kid, even if you plan on having sex with your significant other, being unable to access in cases of emergencies is a bad idea :P) anyway the point being that they could easily have behind doors activities without hana being any the wiser.

still, that ending wasn't nearly as fulfilling as I would have liked

Yeah... I remember reading that scene and hating how she just backed down. Seriously, if I was in her place, I would have replied "bitch, please!"

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I am going to put this out there, after re-reading it. Hotei is not cut out to be a career woman, and Ebisu-san IS cut out to be one, so Hotei becoming a housewife and stay-at-home mom is probably maximizing their collective talents. Part of it is Hotei is lazy and hates to work, or even think, but having her beloved Ebisu-chan to keep house for really, clearly, motivates her. It's probably the first time she's ever BEEN motivated. The child's actual mother is basically her fun-loving auntie, Ebisu is her dad, and Hotei is her mom (although the way she sees it, she has three mommies, each with a different role). I also like how the main character, Hotei, started out as a terrible person and grew out of it.

Also:

Their rooms are connected by a balcony. They probably "talk" out on it sometimes.

last edited at Sep 28, 2017 7:53PM

Nozomi
joined May 11, 2017

I really liked this manga. That said, a more concrete ending would have been nice. They don't need to get married but I would like to know for a fact how Ebisu feels about Hotei rather than just going off what's implied.

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

I love this one so much. The ending is so sweet, it kind of gives the two of them privacy, which is really classy imho. It could have gotten cheesy or sloppy, but it wasn't. Of course I also would have loved another kiss, but the more I reread this, the more I think, this is just perfect. It's really a special story. :)

Images%20(18)
joined Oct 18, 2017

Wow... I liked this.... even the ending. .. :)

C44d8dc6-30f6-464b-9df6-21306e5b293c
joined May 16, 2017

Absolutely fantastic story. As many others have said, the ending was too sudden, and left much to be desired. The Extra does help to fill a little bit of that hole, but it would have been all the better if there was at least just one more chapter to fully and clearly wrap things up.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This was a great manga. Wish it had more kissing, though.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

It didn't have much on-screen kissing but it did have Hotei-san with her hand under Mayo's clothes and bra, cupping her breast, which is kind of yuri.

Sample_0bc66a359c3af4a24555c4bef5b4c655
joined Oct 5, 2015

Now we need a sequel with the kid

To reply you must either login or sign up.