Forum › Beloved L discussion

joined Mar 21, 2017

Also i have a bad feeling that Ding is being abused at home or something similar. I don't think we are near an ending.

blueberrylemonade
joined May 29, 2017

Also i have a bad feeling that Ding is being abused at home or something similar. I don't think we are near an ending.

Why else would Ding Yi be pursuing a relationship with a 34 year old woman? She has probably been sexually abused by a female family member.

Urashi C. Pin
Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

dun dun dun. can't wait for the angst to destroy me.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Why else would Ding Yi be pursuing a relationship with a 34 year old woman? She has probably been sexually abused by a female family member.

Why female?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

One thing I really like about this story is the way that, every time either the older lead or the audience start to take the younger girl for granted, think of her like a sort of placeholder or generic "young" person, she hits back hard.

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

Can someone explain to me why this still has the 'comedy' tag?

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

I swear this webtoon gets more beautiful every chapter.
And wow, Ding Yi is pretty mature, might be even more mature than Xiao Wei.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Lots of drama incoming

joined Jul 31, 2013

Wasn't there a time skip at some point early on? Was it just getting Ding Yi to a slightly more appropriate age, or was it retconned, or does anyone remember what happened there?

joined Feb 18, 2015

So... she's now scheduled to go overseas with her ex? I'm sure Ding Yi will be very happy about that!

Eiko_by_komiyo_chan2
joined Sep 15, 2013

Wasn't there a time skip at some point early on? Was it just getting Ding Yi to a slightly more appropriate age, or was it retconned, or does anyone remember what happened there?

I think it's her EX. The one before Yi and the one that smashed her heart at university

joined May 12, 2016

This manga is so enjoyable to read. The art, the details, the metaphors... are just beautiful. I really love the way the author portrays emotions and intentions.

0025_2d6ec0da0f4bf2e38ab1a00396fa809b
joined Feb 7, 2013

I think it's her EX. The one before Yi and the one that smashed her heart at university

Or specifically, Dr. Lu.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

I tend to not like the long panel compositions in webtoons, but this artist does it really well. The visual metaphors, the colors and how they transition down from one panel to another makes each page look unified. There is also a good sense of rhythm between the dialogues and the panels and how they interact with one another (pg 13h is so damn wonderful). The use of a neutral palette for much of the normal narrative then highlights emotional parts with the warm colors is brilliant. Definitely the most aesthetically pleasing yuri.

joined Sep 21, 2015

I agree that we are not close to an end, but I also think that this story won't have a happy ending. And I don't think it should. Maybe a ray of hope is the best we can aspire to...

last edited at Jun 1, 2017 7:30PM

joined Oct 5, 2016

It's interesting how Wei Wei and Dr. Whatshisface are both not only in the closet, they're apparently using each other as mutual beards. The younger generation Ding Yi, on the other hand, is way more like "fuck staying in the closet, we shouldn't be ashamed of anything." That's theoretically what Wei Wei wants, just not really with Ding Yi. Or maybe yes with Ding Yi, but she's not overcome with self-hatred to admit it unless she's really pushed.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

If you're talking about the initial bit where she's at her friend's mother's place, I don't think it's a significant time skip. It's just an inverted teasing approach to the storytelling, where you have her shortly after the scene in the mountains thinking back to it and reacting to it. I'm pretty sure it's still previous to her possibly going abroad, and probably before the scene near the end where she finds out who would be going with her. Meanwhile my money is strongly on the final pool scene being a flashback, fairly far back at that. The ex, as people have been saying.
Does that make sense?

last edited at Jun 1, 2017 9:07PM

RIkai Uploader
Lazechu%20cut
joined Apr 27, 2014

In chapter 10, Xiou Ou remarks that it's been 3 months since Wei Wei and Ding Yi started dating, and it's been about a week since (ch10 to ch13). There was a minor time skip (ch8) but it hasn't been near long enough for the age gap to be any more or less appropriate than before.

Lomographic Colored Past
74ec91ae-b46c-44be-9b5e-7c40e1fb423d
joined Dec 29, 2016

Dr. Wei can still refuse the trip to abroad (especially not with her ex girlfriend) it's not like she needed it since she's already an ophtha consultant, I presumed. I think it's only needed if you want to have a higher position in a hospital, like a decoration in your resume. It's nice to know that she still continues her relationship with Ding Yi, but the problem is she's still a minor, and if the authority/society founds out about it then it will really put a dent on her career as a doctor. I don't know what's the age of consent in China, so I searched for it https://www.ageofconsent.net/world/china , assuming since the author is from Beijing. I don't know if that is a reliable website so feel free to put some insight.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Ding Yi has such an amazing skill to avoid talking about herself...

last edited at Jun 2, 2017 12:18AM

joined Mar 21, 2017

Dr. Wei can still refuse the trip to abroad (especially not with her ex girlfriend) it's not like she needed it since she's already an ophtha consultant, I presumed. I think it's only needed if you want to have a higher position in a hospital, like a decoration in your resume. It's nice to know that she still continues her relationship with Ding Yi, but the problem is she's still a minor, and if the authority/society founds out about it then it will really put a dent on her career as a doctor. I don't know what's the age of consent in China, so I searched for it https://www.ageofconsent.net/world/china , assuming since the author is from Beijing. I don't know if that is a reliable website so feel free to put some insight.

That is correct I'm pretty sure, 14 where the author is from.

These ages aren't about whether it's wrong or right mind you just about the law regarding things such as statutory rape.

last edited at Jun 2, 2017 1:51AM

lazylikeyourass
Capture
joined Mar 26, 2016

The doctor is so hot. I love her style.

The%20witch's%20house
joined Apr 9, 2015

wooooowww that cliff hanger

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

That is correct I'm pretty sure, 14 where the author is from.

These ages aren't about whether it's wrong or right mind you just about the law regarding things such as statutory rape.

Is that as accurate as the much-repeated idea that age of consent is 13 in Japan, where in fact that's only what the penal code says; there are other relevant laws both nationally and locally that make the age 18 instead?

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Still beautiful. Still uncomfortable.

Gah! I don't care how mature Ding Yi seems at times. She just too young and too vulnerable to me. I don't see one angle on this relationship that reads "healthy".

Clearly Ding Yi's had some experiences--has a perspective on thing that makes here appear older or more mature in ways, but she's not. It seems older people are often caught off guard by the astuteness of younger people. Before a child leaves the single digits they have the mental skills and capacity to make "profound" intellectual and emotional observations. Psychologically, however, they're still children. More vulnerable. More impressionable. There are chemical, hormonal maturations that have yet to take place.

Age of consent aside, I just don't see how this relationship balances in terms of dependency. They both have dependency issues, but Ding Yi seems more inherently dependent to me. High schooler. Detached from family (i.e., lacking her own support system).

I just--Wei wei is such a tragic protagonist. She is in a precarious position. Does not know what she's doing. So real.

This story, man...

To reply you must either login or sign up.