Forum › Dandelion Among Lilies discussion

Doggirls-small
joined Jan 2, 2014

It's quite clear that she called her ex-boyfriend, to try to patch things up between them. The first chapter kind of shows that the break up is more her fault than his, and I guess Mizuho/Ena's problems made her realise that relationships are more complicated than she first thought.

Aside from that, I really liked this manga. It felt more like adult relationship problems, solved in a realistic way. I appreciated the whole "love is not enough to make relationships work" part as well. And while this was cut short, it pretty much told the story it wanted to tell. In fact, it felt more like a one-shot that lasted 6 chapters than a series.

However, I still don't get the "she either loves me or hates me" dichotomy (which is also used by a lot of other stories). I mean, hatred is a pretty violent sentiment, and you don't need to "hate" someone to break up with them. For the japanese speakers here, has the original expression some nuance or alternate meaning that doesn't translate well in english?

joined Mar 23, 2013

It's quite clear that she called her ex-boyfriend, to try to patch things up between them. The first chapter kind of shows that the break up is more her fault than his, and I guess Mizuho/Ena's problems made her realise that relationships are more complicated than she first thought.

Aside from that, I really liked this manga. It felt more like adult relationship problems, solved in a realistic way. I appreciated the whole "love is not enough to make relationships work" part as well. And while this was cut short, it pretty much told the story it wanted to tell. In fact, it felt more like a one-shot that lasted 6 chapters than a series.

However, I still don't get the "she either loves me or hates me" dichotomy (which is also used by a lot of other stories). I mean, hatred is a pretty violent sentiment, and you don't need to "hate" someone to break up with them. For the japanese speakers here, has the original expression some nuance or alternate meaning that doesn't translate well in english?

I felt for the guy, I don't think losing a phone strap warrants such violence. I mean she swung that school bag with strong force, if heavy books were in it... It could of been a potentially very dangerous blow.

But yeah, her outburst must of felt so petty after what she witnessed between her sister and her lover.

I agree with the whole love or hate me, it didn't really make sense.
"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference." - Eli Wiesel
The quote pretty much sums it up, she believed her lover didn't care at all because she wouldn't object to her running away nor said anything when she'd come back.

Props and best wishes to the main couple! They're damn cute!

I also hope that Kana and her ex-boyfriend to have a future WITHOUT each other ^_^

Heh heh no um disregard that last part

I'll leave now

I'd rather her get a new guy instead of her old one actually, a girl would be nice but not really realistic. That's just me though

I also hope that, for his sake. I know that if a person would treat me like she did, I would want to discard that person out of my life. He should make the right choice.

For clarification on the love/hate thing. Mizuho does use the word for hate just before getting slapped. Typically when someone is emotional they'll tend towards thinking something as drastic as hate rather than focusing on the musings of Eli Wiesel (which a Japanese person probably has never heard of anyways). Ena on the other hand did think of Mizuho's actions as a sort of "indifference". Rather than acting the caring girlfriend, Mizuho seemed (to Ena) to be unenthusiastic and uncaring about the relationship.

joined Jan 26, 2014

At the end, I got this feeling, that the one she called wasn't her ex boyfriend but a girl (like her friend) who confessed to her earlier before she got to live with her sister and her lover. After experiencing her sister's relationship with Ena, I felt like (just a feeling I'm having), she decided to give that person on the call a chance. I have this feeling that she realizes that dating another girl wouldn't be so bad, so she called the girl who gave her the cellphone strap (it looks more like a gift from another girl because of its cuteness lol). If the person she called at the end was the ex-boyfriend, she could have called earlier to resolve whatever issues they had.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

At the end, I got this feeling, that the one she called wasn't her ex boyfriend but a girl (like her friend) who confessed to her earlier before she got to live with her sister and her lover. After experiencing her sister's relationship with Ena, I felt like (just a feeling I'm having), she decided to give that person on the call a chance. I have this feeling that she realizes that dating another girl wouldn't be so bad, so she called the girl who gave her the cellphone strap (it looks more like a gift from another girl because of its cuteness lol). If the person she called at the end was the ex-boyfriend, she could have called earlier to resolve whatever issues they had.

Ehmmm nop. That cellphone strap belonged to her ex boyfriend, that's a fact, you can tell by the first 2 pages of the manga that he lost it and then Kana got really mad and accidentally send a text full of rage... And then at the end she realized that something like a cellphone strap wasn't worth to finish a relationship... She learned that by watching her older sister's relationship.

I know that, in a yuri manga sometimes we don't want to hear anything about men but... Let's keep it real as much as we can! they exist too lol.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

> (it looks more like a gift from another girl because of its cuteness lol).

Hahaha, it looks like that because Kana made both charms to match.

> If the person she called at the end was the ex-boyfriend, she could have called earlier to resolve whatever issues they had.

As Serenata said, she's only calling now because of what she witnessed and learned from her sister's mistake/fight.

Also, she was pretty darn emotionally and physically invested in their relationship and her own troubles were probably temporary forgotten. After all, this is the sister that left home years ago, and just suddenly appeared with a girlfriend on her doorstep.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

I know that, in a yuri manga sometimes we don't want to hear anything about men but... Let's keep it real as much as we can! they exist too lol.

I'm a guy and even I think like that. Haha xD

joined Nov 30, 2011

Nice end to an enjoyable series, though it did get confusing somewhat with the flashbacks lol. I also liked the end where Kana called her ex to try and patch things up, seemed like a good way to cap the series.

last edited at Feb 1, 2014 1:03AM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Kinda anti-climatic how the final boss is under a kotatsu, but really good read overall, one of the few examples of flashback usage that i approve of
No, seriously, fuck flashbacks

joined Feb 18, 2015

That was very well done, though the flashbacks were a bit hard to figure out. Usually they do something like darkening the area outside the panels, but that wasn't done consistently in this. The biggest clue was that Mizuho's hair was more like Kana's in the flashbacks.

I loved the ending, with the two lovers going back to their normal life and facing the world together, without trying to hide their love from the world, and Kana, realizing the lesson she just helped her sister learn, calling her boyfriend to try to patch things up after blowing up at him over something that really doesn't matter in the greater scope of things.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

That was very well done, though the flashbacks were a bit hard to figure out. Usually they do something like darkening the area outside the panels, but that wasn't done consistently in this. The biggest clue was that Mizuho's hair was more like Kana's in the flashbacks.

I had hard time realizing they are flashbacks too at first. I guess the idea was that they were blending with present. As if you saw 2 different sequences in movie cut and meshed together, making you think at first that it is just one sequence, but only after noticing realize that they are showing 2 different scenarios at once. How Mizuho reacted the first time it happened and how she do it now. Kinda like music video or something. Still it can be really confusing at times so I totally get you ;x

Sans%20titre
joined Jan 25, 2017

I probably won't read it again but this was interesting, definitly worth a read. I was a bit disappointed this ends up with Kana trying to patch things up with her boyfriends because when she's thinking "they're really intimate" about her sister and her girlfriend I was like "aaww she's seeing the light" and being the yuri fanboy that I am I would have liked things to go that way. But oh well, this isn't a fluffly fiction so it's alright that way

Lomographic Colored Past
74ec91ae-b46c-44be-9b5e-7c40e1fb423d
joined Dec 29, 2016

Kana is mature for her age, if she hadn't been there, the fight between Ena and Mizuho would extend. This manga taught me that communication is the key for maintaining a good relationship, especially in a lesbian relationship, since women are emotional beings.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Lomographic Colored Past posted:

Kana is mature for her age, if she hadn't been there, the fight between Ena and Mizuho would extend. This manga taught me that communication is the key for maintaining a good relationship, especially in a lesbian relationship, since women are emotional beings.

I'd actually say that the "especially in a lesbian relationship" bit is probably not only unnecessary but also the place that it needs the least focus. Men tend to be of the mindset that if they're not being told anything is wrong then there's nothing wrong while women tend to be of the mindset that they shouldn't have to tell the other person something's wrong. By having both people of the same mindset then they're more likely to be paying attention for issues while if they're both of a different mindset then there's a far greater chance of them simply not seeing eye to eye at all.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

One of my favorites. Mizuho and Ena had exquisitely dysfunctional communication skills, and were attempting to get the other to understand/soothe their fears without actually having to talk about it. I liked how they were equally at fault and not at fault in causing and not working out the issues in their relationship. I think what I appreciated the most was the fact that neither of them were purposefully trying to hurt the other, but it happened anyway due to their insecurities. (Well except for one part, when Ena slapped Mizuho. >.>) It feels more realistic this way.

I give major kudos for having Kanae be unequivocally straight and trying to repair her own relationship. Kudo one for including a straight relationship that's not about the girl figuring out her latent homosexuality (straight girls exist and they can be fine that way...). Kudo two because it's heart-warming seeing Kanae take inspiration from her sister's relationship; just shows straight romance isn't any better or worse than the gay one.

Kanae hitting her boyfriend just because he lost the charm was over the top though... >.> But I liked that we got to see her at worst and best. And I liked that there was a happy ending. :) Everything can turn out well!

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/dandelion_among_lilies_ch01#10
Dear Ena,
Please teach Kanae how to hold a knife.
Thanks,
Trouse

I enjoyed this, though. Let this be a reminder that relationships are all about communication and compromise. Now don't mind me as I go off to read some unrealistic perfect waifu fluff piece.

Jo
joined Jan 1, 2019

on page 7 there seems to be a slight discrepancy. What Onee-san says is "Yeah, she likes to take nude photos of her self and post them online" to which imoto responds, "Jeez Onee-chan! Don't say that! She might believe you!". The 'fine ass pussy' thing is funny but this just works better.

_______%20(12)
joined Feb 18, 2018

it's kinda emotional story... it's good

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

This finished! Oh my god I read the first chapter many moons ago and I never kept reading! I must read it now!

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I really liked this series, I wish there was more from this author on here, I love their art style and storytelling

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

F

joined Oct 15, 2014

F

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

F

The Master Mind
Dr.%20y's%20surprised%20subject%202
joined May 22, 2020

F

joined Mar 8, 2022

why did this get removed?

To reply you must either login or sign up.