Forum › Instinct and a Chromosome discussion

__io_euclase_and_rosetta_granblue_fantasy_drawn_by_takishima_asaka__1d4a58edaca73c7fce39685c5353a2f6_crop
joined Dec 30, 2014

Feels like they both had a negative experience and came back to each other after discovering they couldn't make it work.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Wow this was kinda amazing, and the guy character was really sympathetic and supportive. Him normalizing Nanako's feelings to her was pretty nice, and how he didn't force her into anything and respected her wishes was really good too.
He'd be a really good bro tbh, I've hardly read yuri with such supportive male characters before, it felt really nice, to not have him be a cliche'd douchebag.
Especially when she turned him down right before, you know, and he just stopped because that's what people should do. Nobody owes you sex just because they were willing at first. If they change their mind, they change their mind, and you should respect that. That's a really good message right there

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Faust posted:

Wow this was kinda amazing, and the guy character was really sympathetic and supportive. Him normalizing Nanako's feelings to her was pretty nice, and how he didn't force her into anything and respected her wishes was really good too.

Yes, I really liked him. It was breath of fresh air to see that kind of character in manga. He was nice and understanding and I really liked how he was the one trying to convince Nanako that there is nothing wrong with her. I also liked the way her (trying) having sex with him shows how you can't just force yourself to enjoy something you don't enjoy.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Wow, this is one of the most amazing stories I've read so far on Dynasty Scans. Really well done. Really liked how understanding and compassionate the dudebro was. Glad there seems to be the beginnings of a happy ending.

Screenshot%20(1097)
joined Apr 23, 2016

i love supportive male characters in yuri mangas. it's just so much more relatable.

Lomographic Colored Past
74ec91ae-b46c-44be-9b5e-7c40e1fb423d
joined Dec 29, 2016

One of my favorite josei manga here, they were honest with their feelings in the end.

And yes Emma Watson did grow up becoming a babe

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Feels like they both had a negative experience and came back to each other after discovering they couldn't make it work.

I think it is strongly implied that Yuri has had a night journey of self-discovery much like Nanako's. It would be interesting to see it, even though it would break the story's POV something fierce.

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016

I am a bit confused. Was Yuri actually cheating or was it just some societal pressure thing where she forced herself with a guy so they could be "normal"? That's not much better, but the whole situation with Yuri getting married wasn't explained at all, is it possible she wasn't even with a guy and it was just a messed up way to give up on Nanako?

I always understand it like that. Yuri got call from her mother, complaining about her not getting married. Later on, or even before she called, she probably already organized this whole marriage for Yuri. Yuri came home and maybe even really spend time with this potential husband. She loved Nanako, but as adult, she understood that same sex relationship is not welcomed and marring into stable household is the reasonable thing to do. So she gave up into the pressure and decided to break up with the Nanako. Half what she told her was true, but half were just lies, so Nanako will give up. Saying she wants to marriage was the biggest one. Then after going through with that, she couldn't stop thinking about Nanako and in the end realized that there is no way, she will be happy by doing this, so she rushed to Nanako's house first thing in the morning, to take it all back. Since Nanako was out all night, there was no one in apartment (remember that Yuri gave away her key to Nanako) so she just sat her crying and waiting for Nanako, hoping it isn't too late for them.

That is why I never got angry at Yuri's actions and was actually happy how it turned out. This whole drama was all because of social pressure bullshit, but since Yuri ultimately decided to screw it, it was a perfect happy ending.

Had exactly the same Interpretation.

Faust posted:

Yes, I really liked him. It was breath of fresh air to see that kind of character in manga. He was nice and understanding and I really liked how he was the one trying to convince Nanako that there is nothing wrong with her. I also liked the way her (trying) having sex with him shows how you can't just force yourself to enjoy something you don't enjoy.

Yeah, i thought the same, he's a really good dude.
Some guys wouldn't stop there.

It's a really good Story, i like this a lot.
Even though the Tags scared me out before.

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Amazing. One of those stories you can read again and again and never get bored of it.

joined Aug 31, 2017

Emma Watson still a babe.

joined May 11, 2018

If that's love, I don't want it.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I strongly dislike the "lesbian/bisexual female has to try sleeping with a guy to be sure about sexuality and/or rightness of a relationship" plot event. Like it makes for good drama, but I'm not so sure about the realism behind that. It seems particularly common in manga too. And when the author's notes clearly state she made this after seeing a couple on TV, so no personal experience or close gay friends, well that furthers the disconnect.

To be fair this was published almost two decades ago though so I'll give a pass for that, seeing how different times were then.

But this leaves a sour taste in my mouth nonetheless.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Well how else is she going to make sure about her sexuality? It's not like everyone is born perfectly knowing it. That's why people experiment during their youth. I see it perfectly reasonable, especially after getting dumped and being at her lowest point, that she would go for something drastic, without really thinking it through, in the heat of the moment. Sometimes you need to experience something or you'll be regretting your entire life you didn't try it (not saying it happened here). I think the "having sex curses my lesbianism" is much more egregious and damaging trope than this. The "you just didn't meet the right man yet" thing.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Well how else is she going to make sure about her sexuality? It's not like everyone is born perfectly knowing it. That's why people experiment during their youth. I see it perfectly reasonable, especially after getting dumped and being at her lowest point, that she would go for something drastic, without really thinking it through, in the heat of the moment.

I didn't describe what I meant perfectly well, but I meant it less in the sense that the character is doing something to be sure about some aspect of themselves, and more that the author has them do something to showcase for the readers that this character is gay or that the relationship they're agonizing about is the true, destined one for them. I just think storywise there's other ways of going about conveying the same end messages of "Nanako and Yuri are meant for each other and will choose each other" + "Nanako is gay and that's okay".

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I never got impression that's why this scene was here. It was clear to me both characters are gay and Nanaka is simply experiencing doubts. The story even opens with girl telling her that idea of loving someone of the same gender makes her feel sick. And honestly it was one of the better written one and it had one of the best male characters in yuri ever. I'd understand if it felt forced, but it fit the story and narrative perfectly fine. And even if, author still does tell it's ok to be gay etc. so isn't the fact the message is positive all that matters at the end?

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

I want to be best friend with the guy lol
He seems to be so chill

joined Jan 31, 2013

Can we replace all the men in Yuri manga with this guy instead of the overused mindless drone with zero personality or characteristic who exist solely as plot device.

last edited at Jul 31, 2021 6:22AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.