Forum › Prism discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

If he went and wrote manga while being financed by the public, editors in Japan would cease to work with him.

About that...

Oh shit, I'm sorry! I hit edit instead of quote by accident and deleted parts of your message. Can you check if you still have it in your cache?

Ah, no worries. I still had a tab open on that page.

Thank goodness for that! Again, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

If he went and wrote manga while being financed by the public, editors in Japan would cease to work with him.

About that...

Oh shit, I'm sorry! I hit edit instead of quote by accident and deleted parts of your message. Can you check if you still have it in your cache?

It was hardly an inconvenience. Anyway, you were saying?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

About that...

It was hardly an inconvenience. Anyway, you were saying?

Actually, I was curious about attitudes about crowdfunding in Japan, given that editors over there don't seem to have a problem with self-publishing (doujins) at all. And of course, a lot of established artists don't seem to have any qualms about being involved with Galette destroying their careers, including the often-self published Takemiya Jin.

That said, obviously this wouldn't apply to Prism, since it's not actually his. The rights to the series, at least from an ethical point of view, belong to whoever currently owns Tsubomi's assets, and if Shou wanted to revisit the girls he'd need to get their okay on it. Which I'd guess is unlikely.

Contrary to the conspiracy theories that Stretch went in the Super Friends direction because Shou was trying to get revenge for Prism, my guess is that he basically cut his losses and moved on, and doesn't really think about it much these days. Certainly not enough to go to a lot of trouble to revive it.

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

Actually, I was curious about attitudes about crowdfunding in Japan, given that editors over there don't seem to have a problem with self-publishing (doujins) at all. And of course, a lot of established artists don't seem to have any qualms about being involved with Galette destroying their careers, including the often-self published Takemiya Jin.

As far as I can tell, publishers don't care, but the basic economy is pretty different. Japan had long had significant support networks for putting together creative teams (school clubs are a big one) and markets to sell your creations. If I had to guess, I'd say one of the reasons crowdfunding for things like comics, VNs and doujin games first got big here in part because of the lack of a Comiket. Not only that, but selling doujins at events is a way to get noticed by publishers and transition to being a pro.

That said, obviously this wouldn't apply to Prism, since it's not actually his. The rights to the series, at least from an ethical point of view, belong to whoever currently owns Tsubomi's assets

Houbunsha. They do everything with "Manga Time."

if Shou wanted to revisit the girls he'd need to get their okay on it. Which I'd guess is unlikely.

Nah, he could probably continue it as a doujinshi anytime (see: Chouchou Nannan). It might not look good to publishers, though, given the circumstances.

It couldn't be serialised without the rights being purchased, though, and I doubt anybody would touch it.

joined Oct 2, 2016

Can anyone recommend other authors with art style similar to this one ?

yuriforeverandalways
Yuri%202%20copy
joined Feb 14, 2017

Honestly, anything like Prism would make my day.

Despite being only 6 chapters, it's the greatest thing I've ever read.

It's like Girl Friend's except without the boring crap and squeezed into 6 chapters.
Art wise, it's comparable to Citrus.

I can't believe it ended like this, the Universe is unfair.

Sad, sad, sad.

Rsz_tumblr_n3y1mps9e11tr1hgao1_1280
joined Mar 16, 2017

I am sad it only has the 6 chapters, but it still ends on a pretty nice note with 6.5, I can be happy with that end, I don't think there was any really unresolved drama about the two that made it feel bad for me. Sucks for the tracing part though that killed it. But again, decent ending and teacher of the year award belongs to that sensei for sure, also props to the little sister for supporting.

joined Apr 15, 2017

I loved it but I can't believe there isn't going to be anymore though because I would have loved to see and know what happens next

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I honestly do not care at all if the author is tracing or not, I'm technically just in it for the story, though it would be great if this could continue

joined Oct 2, 2014

So depressing this got cancelled. It was really good. Love that nothing was over exaggerated and no super over the top reactions to things, and no questionable/exaggerated psychology in the main characters.

joined Jun 13, 2017

So depressing this got cancelled.

It ended in a really good spot. Could have been worse.

Erika_senoo
joined Sep 13, 2017

Prism brought me to yuri genre, it was one of the best mangas I read.

Sad it got cancelled, sadder that I still have not found a manga at the same level in this genre imo.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I finally got around to reading this. I was a bit cynical of claims that it seems quite complete despite getting cancelled. Glad I was wrong. That was actually really good and felt a lot more complete than I was expecting. I've read tons of concluded stories that felt more incomplete.

joined Feb 1, 2013

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/prism_ch05#22 One of the funniest "you're fucked" moments

The shooting star really sells it.

I'm not sure what's more f*ed up: a) the fact that the women in the group (particularly the one w/ the ponytail) seem totally okay with watching other females getting victimized in front of them- like Mercedes McCambridge in Orson Welles' "Touch of Evil". Or b) the fact that this scene has become so much more sinister to me in light of everything I've learned about most the author's other works. Man...

Cat
joined Jan 21, 2015

Somewhere in my dreams, Prism grazes on a yuri farm in a better place... T_T7

Rsz_1465926231839
joined Jun 24, 2015

It's a big deal they where tracing? Isn't it about the story, the adventure? Who is so far up their own ass that tracing is a big deal to them? Fucking A

joined Feb 21, 2018

It's a big deal they where tracing? Isn't it about the story, the adventure? Who is so far up their own ass that tracing is a big deal to them? Fucking A

Probably the people the author was stealing images from without paying them.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Even though this got cancelled it already feels finished to me. Great story. Hands down one of my favorite yuri couples.

Img_2661
joined Dec 23, 2015

Kissss already !

joined Mar 12, 2019

Tracing backgrounds is one thing, tracing entire characters/scenes is another.

I personally don't see what is so bad about tracing characters/scenes. How is different then tracing backgrounds?

It’s actually NEVER ok to trace backgrounds from the internet either. I went to an art college, and the first thing they teach you in Business 101 Class during your freshmen year is to never commit copyright infringement. They continue to make this very clear throughout the rest of your time in art college. Tracing or having your art only slightly tweaked/adjusted (barely any difference) is considered copyright infringement, and you will be sued and duly punished for doing so. In worst cases, imprisoned or subjected to extremely high fines.

It IS bad, because artists who commit plagiarism is stealing poses, concepts, looks, etc. that other people have already come up with and published (meaning, copyrighted). By committing this act, they are infringing on copyright AND blatantly stealing someone else’s hard work/ideas.

You might not understand this because you’re probably not an artist (or if you yourself are a thief), but emotion-wise, it is extremely unfair and upsetting that someone is stealing from you. It’s not just about the laws, but the original artists’ feelings as well.

You CAN use internet images as reference, but you have to make them look extremely different. In other words, in your own style, drawn from pure sight, or manipulated or distorted enough to look like different things. But tracing and directly copying from a reference to look exactly the same, or being very similar are never ok.

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 2:22AM

MiskaRose-san
C5644df4-6640-46e8-a85c-f7d23678316d
joined Nov 11, 2018

Ugh i hate "cancell it" soo ruin my favorite yuri... :(

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

Its a great yuri but this Author stole work

joined Apr 6, 2019

This is still an amazing story. I've just now read it again, for the third of fourth time. I really wish it hadn't been cancelled.
They should just have removed the traced panels and made the author redraw them and leave it at that... axing the series was a dick move. :/

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

That was a nice manga. Just wanted to add, it's unrealistic how they knew when it is supposed to end with a man, but they didn't know when it ends with two women lol.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I've probably already said it, but tracing (and heavily modifying) from an ad - those things that are forced into our faces whether we want them or not - is simply not a bad thing to me. When I had to be an ad copywriter, if someone had stolen my work i would have just laughed, and if they had put it into a story like Prism, I would send them fan mail. Honestly, I always thought of this nonsense as his karma for his hentai loli comics, full stop. It's just a pity Prism got caught in the crossfire.

To reply you must either login or sign up.