Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Faust posted:

Thank you.
People really need to understand this.

I should probably remember to specify two female characters are required for yuri though rather than just two characters, lol.

joined Jul 8, 2013

I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT FROM THIS SERIES!? WHO DO I ROOT FOR!? DO I WANT HER TO BE CAUGHT!? I'VE NEVER BEEN SO CONFLICTED FROM A MANGA IN MY ENTIRE LIFE WTF!?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Faust posted:

Thank you.
People really need to understand this.

I should probably remember to specify two female characters are required for yuri though rather than just two characters, lol.

Or two characters identifying as female.

Though I've yet to read a story about two MTF characters in love.

last edited at Dec 26, 2015 4:23AM

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

I wasn't aware that the cast had to be all female for it to be yuri. I was under the impression that yuri entailed two main (female) characters being in a romantic relationship. (Which Shio and Sato seem to be implied to be in.)

implied to be in

but it doesn't feel like it. There has been more male characters introduced than females. Also their relationship doesn't even feel believably yuri to me. Sato seems like she loves her like a little sister, because she hardly had a reaction when Shio kissed her.

Or two characters identifying* as female.

Hah. Nice try.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nya-chan posted:

Or two characters identifying as female.

I didn't think to bother specifying that. I kinda thought most people would get it but I suppose that's not actually the case, lol.

kickap00 posted:

but it doesn't feel like it. There has been more male characters introduced than females.

Erm, I don't think this is true? If you count background characters they seem about even from what I recall which is kinda realistic. If you only count named characters/characters that at least play any sort of actual part in the story then I'm pretty sure the girls outnumber the guys.

Also their relationship doesn't even feel believably yuri to me.

And the rest of the story is totally believable? There's a lot of extremely out of the ordinary traits about both characters so you really can't say that a mere two chapters in. Also I dunno what that has to do with you saying too many men means it's not yuri in the first place.

Sato seems like she loves her like a little sister, because she hardly had a reaction when Shio kissed her.

You mean the girl who has been shown to not be totally there and has been fairly clearly suggested to have issues with feeling/showing genuine emotions in the past? Huh, I wonder why it might seem like she didn't have much of a reaction when she got kissed.

Regardless of what you think the story has made it pretty clear they're in a relationship that's not simply like friends or sisters. Seeing as they're both girls this makes it yuri. Now you can argue that said yuri doesn't appeal to you personally (in which case why not go find some yuri that does appeal to you instead?) but just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it's no longer yuri.

last edited at Dec 26, 2015 4:42AM

joined Dec 26, 2015

Does anyone know how many chapters of this there are going to be in total? (If it's completed. If not then does anyone know how many there currently are?)

the manga is currently on 2 Volumes and still ongoing and has currently around 10 chapters.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

Erm, I don't think this is true? If you count background characters they seem about even from what I recall which is kinda realistic. If you only count named characters/characters that at least play any sort of actual part in the story then I'm pretty sure the girls outnumber the guys.

Okay but when there are guys they're all disgusting stalking perverts and if you accept this in your "yuri" you have some poor tastes. Also in the beginning Sato said she had a lot of boyfriends.

And the rest of the story is totally believable? There's a lot of extremely out of the ordinary traits about both characters so you really can't say that a mere two chapters in. Also I dunno what that has to do with you saying too many men means it's not yuri in the first place.

I'm not talking about the story being believable.. I'm talking about THEIR RELATIONSHIP not being believable. We know next to nothing about these characters, except that Shio is a cute loli and Sato is crazy for her (literally) and I don't sense much romance between their interactions. Or just very one sided. Also your last comment doesn't make sense.

You mean the girl who has been shown to not be totally there and has been fairly clearly suggested to have issues with feeling/showing genuine emotions in the past? Huh, I wonder why it might seem like she didn't have much of a reaction when she got kissed.

She constantly gushes about her but when she gives her a kiss all she says is "i taste chocolate" if she loves her romantically she would have a more realistic reaction.

Regardless of what you think the story has made it pretty clear they're in a relationship that's not simply like friends or sisters. Seeing as they're both girls this makes it yuri. Now you can argue that said yuri doesn't appeal to you personally (in which case why not go find some yuri that does appeal to you instead?) but just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it's no longer yuri.

Like you said earlier you were not aware the whole cast had to be female for it to be yuri, having two girls interact with each other doesn't make it yuri either. Obviously their relationship is not that clear. I know there is obvious love there but it does not appear romantic to me. That's why I pointed it out.

joined Aug 15, 2015

but it doesn't feel like it. There has been more male characters introduced than females.

The male characters so far serve as an evidence that Sato is incredibly an attractive girl that many people of her opposite gender find difficult not to lay their eyes off of her. However, their numbers have no value in judging whether the story is about a yuri (female/female) relationship or not. And the significance in that is that all the men that are shown have been rejected to prove that the main character, Sato, herself have a significant other that she cannot return their admiration.

Also their relationship doesn't even feel believably yuri to me. Sato seems like she loves her like a little sister, because she hardly had a reaction when Shio kissed her.

Sato's thought process so far has been clear that she is in fact in love with the little girl, Shio, who has been identified as the only thing that matters to Sato in previous 2 chapters, and that Sato would literally go to hell with her true love. Last I check, no one would use such rationalization for a sisterly relationship.

And you can't really judge a facial reaction. It can mean anything. Such as a husband is surprise when his wife asks if he has been cheating on her. His surprise can mean either it really is the truth, or he is surprise that his wife asks an absurd question.
In art, a facial reaction is even more evasive. It can also be an error in artist's perception of human facial response.

Although her reaction can be true, and that so we know not much of what Shio thinks. It is possible that the little girl may not have any feeling for Sato at all. But Sato's feeling on the other hand should be clear by now that she indeed, without a doubt, romantically loves Shio.

last edited at Dec 26, 2015 5:56AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

SniperPumpkin posted:

the manga is currently on 2 Volumes and still ongoing and has currently around 10 chapters.

Right, thanks a lot!

kickap00 posted:

Okay but when there are guys they're all disgusting stalking perverts and if you accept this in your "yuri" you have some poor tastes. Also in the beginning Sato said she had a lot of boyfriends.

In your opinion. Basically everything you are saying is entirely your opinion but you're trying to pass it off as fact.

I'm not talking about the story being believable.. I'm talking about THEIR RELATIONSHIP not being believable. We know next to nothing about these characters, except that Shio is a cute loli and Sato is crazy for her (literally) and I don't sense much romance between their interactions. Or just very one sided.

The two kinda go hand-in-hand you know. The story itself is completely out there and both characters are not your standard female characters at all. Their relationship is bound to feel different than a standard one.

Also your last comment doesn't make sense.

It makes plenty of sense. You started out going on about how men in the manga means it's magically not yuri somehow and as soon as I explained why that was wrong you started going off on another tangent like you're just determined to shit on the story (rather than simply not reading it since you clearly don't enjoy it) no matter what anyone says.

She constantly gushes about her but when she gives her a kiss all she says is "i taste chocolate" if she loves her romantically she would have a more realistic reaction.

Maybe try rereading what I said since you clearly didn't actually read it very thoroughly in the first place. I kinda explained this. Here, let me quote it for you so you don't have to go searching for it:

Like you said earlier you were not aware the whole cast had to be female for it to be yuri, having two girls interact with each other doesn't make it yuri either. Obviously their relationship is not that clear. I know there is obvious love there but it does not appear romantic to me. That's why I pointed it out.

I don't know that we're reading the same story. You seem to be failing to make a lot of connections here and making a lot of random assumptions based on some really faulty logic.

Cate
joined May 15, 2015

Man, this manga for some reason isn't sitting right with me. I want to see this through the end though

joined Dec 26, 2015

seems like some of you haven't watch the Manga PV yet Sato surely can kill the PV tells it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1k4_tBF-9Y

last edited at Dec 26, 2015 6:23AM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Well like they say, my love is stronger than your hate.
Can you not blatantly insult people just because they like something you don't?

So what if Sato had boyfriends? How is that relevant to the love she feels now?
How does past relationships completely deny a present one?
Ugh, it's comments like this, that invalidate bisexuals that really get on my nerves.
Because feelings for other girls become invalid if you like men too smh

but it doesn't feel like it. There has been more male characters introduced than females. Also their relationship doesn't even feel believably yuri to me.

Because if somehow even if the plot is centered on two girls' love for each other, if the rest of the cast is male, it's like not yuri anymore?
???????
And what does "believably yuri." even mean?

Yeah because Sato is faking it, obviously
It's official guys this is het af, the whole plot is like, NOT centered around her love for a little girl and the means she takes to protect their life together, let's just remove the yuri tag in case it misleads more poor, angry souls

last edited at Dec 26, 2015 8:37AM

joined Dec 26, 2015

Well like they say, my love is stronger than your hate.
Can you not blatantly insult people just because they like something you don't?

So what if Sato had boyfriends? How is that relevant to the love she feels now?
How does past relationships completely deny a present one?
Ugh, it's comments like this, that invalidate bisexuals that really get on my nerves.
Because feelings for other girls become invalid if you like men too smh

but it doesn't feel like it. There has been more male characters introduced than females. Also their relationship doesn't even feel believably yuri to me.

Because if somehow even if the plot is centered on two girls' love for each other, if the rest of the cast is male, it's like not yuri anymore?
???????

Yeah because Sato is faking it, obviously
It's official guys this is het af, the whole plot is like, NOT centered around her love for a little girl and the means she takes to protect their life together, let's just remove the yuri tag in case it misleads more poor, angry souls

who put the Yuri tag there anyway? this is Shoujo Ai and not Yuri

last edited at Dec 26, 2015 10:28AM

joined Feb 15, 2013

Don't go there....

Or we gonna have another hundred pages arguing over what is shoujo-Ai, what is Yuri again

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

risingstar3110 posted:

Don't go there....

Or we gonna have another hundred pages arguing over what is shoujo-Ai, what is Yuri again

I'm pretty sure s/he was only joking because of Faust's sarcasm.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

It makes plenty of sense. You started out going on about how men in the manga means it's magically not yuri somehow and as soon as I explained why that was wrong you started going off on another tangent like you're just determined to shit on the story (rather than simply not reading it since you clearly don't enjoy it) no matter what anyone says.

No it doesn't, you're assuming that I'm saying that just because men are in it it's not yuri. When all I said was their relationship doesn't FEEL yuri to me. I was also complaining about all the men characters because they add nothing to the plot besides being edgy/creepy. Make YOU should try re reading what I wrote because you're making a lot of assumptions.

Faust liking het or bisluts

poor tastes like I said.

It means exactly what it says. Their relationship is not believable to me.

joined Dec 26, 2015

risingstar3110 posted:

Don't go there....

I'm pretty sure he was only joking because of Faust's sarcasm.

thank you very much but no the Japanese readers also confirm it as Shoujo Ai for it to be Yuri there have to be real lesbian love with this series will never have. you will see the MC liking/loving Shio but it won't develop in a romantic kind of way.

Don't go there....

Why the definition to Shoujo Ai and Yuri is really clear

from Tv Tropes
Yuri is the Japanese word for "lily", and also refers to a sapphic romance genre in Japanese media. It can focus either on the sexual or emotional aspects of the relationship. Occasionally, some fans will use the term shoujo-ai ("girl's love") to distinguish the less explicit works that focus on romance and/or emotions between the characters. Note however that in Japan, shoujo-ai refers to liking little girls.

last edited at Dec 26, 2015 2:23PM

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Oh joy, here we go again.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

How about just answering kickap00 with:
"Okay, you made your point. Thanks. Bye." and be over with this?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, if TV Tropes says it, it must be so. Since they're an internationally recognized authority on the subject and all.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

thank you very much but no the Japanese readers also confirm it as Shoujo Ai for it to be Yuri there have to be real lesbian love with this series will never have. you will see the MC liking/loving Shio but it won't develop in a romantic kind of way.

Why the definition to Shoujo Ai and Yuri is really clear

from Tv Tropes
Yuri is the Japanese word for "lily", and also refers to a sapphic romance genre in Japanese media. It can focus either on the sexual or emotional aspects of the relationship. Occasionally, some fans will use the term shoujo-ai ("girl's love") to distinguish the less explicit works that focus on romance and/or emotions between the characters. Note however that in Japan, shoujo-ai refers to liking little girls.

Thank you I completely agree.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

SniperPumpkin posted:

thank you very much but no the Japanese readers also confirm it as Shoujo Ai.

Yup. I'm sure they confirmed it to be story about pedophile.

last edited at Dec 26, 2015 2:42PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Definition of soujo ai is indeed clear. Pedophelia with a focus on little girls. Then a bunch of weeaboos who didn't understand the term tried to use it to apply to "yuri-lite". The end.

Note we don't have a tag for it here and no plans to create one, so it's pretty irrelevant.

joined Dec 26, 2015

SniperPumpkin posted:

technically Sato is still a minor xD

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

SniperPumpkin posted:

technically Sato is still a minor xD

A minor doing things with a minor is still pedophilia if one of them doesn't have the age of consent in that particular place.

last edited at Dec 26, 2015 3:07PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.