Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

The anime is explaining things. :)

That being said, we're only mere hours before the next episode.

It's already out in Japanese.

Yumi%20sachiko%20kiss%201
joined Apr 6, 2017

The anime is explaining things. :)

That being said, we're only mere hours before the next episode.

It's already out in Japanese.

It has already been out for a couple hours in the US also thanks to daylight savings time.

joined Apr 6, 2017

What is with yuri stories and there being interludes after the big confession. It's like the mangaka goes "ooo! I got 'em hooked, so I can make more money dragging this out a bit without worry!"

My favorite is when the girls are constantly about to kiss but they keep getting interrupted so the manga can be delayed further. This has nothing to do with Bloom Into You, just yuri in general.

The mangaka don't make these decisions on their own, they're often mandated by the publisher. Periodic manga are a unique challenge to write because very often the mangaka can't know how much time they will get to tell the story. It's completely different to, say, writing a novel, where the writer can know how many words the story can be from the start, and can plan out everything accordingly. Periodic manga generally follow the "strike it while it's hot" model, where it has to keep running as long as it's successful, and if the author concludes a story while the manga's still selling well, they might have to make a sequel.

That said, I found the post-confession chapters good so far. Yuu confessed, and now both her and Touko are dealing with the fallout. This is standard for drama. As for the Sayaka chapter, this one is especially important because Sayaka finally decided to confess. Not only is that a huge thing by itself, but! Since this decision seems like the beginning of the end for Sayaka's character arc, it is an event that, just like Yuu's confession, signals the conclusion to be the horizon, that we have entered the final act of the story. That is, if the manga ends shortly after the Yuu x Touko conflict is resolved.

This seems to be the case with the manga Horimiya. It seems like they didn't expect the manga to be as successful as it was so the manga was just sticking to the main plot. Though the series was successful but a problem was it had a set ending since it had a original source web comic it was retelling. Now though instead of sticking to the main story that would probably ended by now instead for the last couple years they have been using almost exclusively omake that were written after the main story finish and have no effect on the actual story. This has been hurting the series popularity as it is just dragging down the series as it drags out the story for a obvious money grab.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Alright... in that scene where Sayaka and Yuu had that little talk, I must admit Sayaka sounded much less friendly than I remember it being in my head while reading the manga. Later, at the end of the scene where Yuu was thinking about Touko's whole situation while walking down the hallway, I quite liked the symbolism given, where Yuu just stopped and stood at the crossroads, which, to me at least, has the symbolic meaning of having different options and finding it hard to decide which to choose, and, as symbolized by the kinda foggy light, all of them had uncertainty and unforseen consequences (man, I always sucked with analizing literature and graphics, and now I think I'm actually doing it good for the very first time, lmao). I don't have much to add other than what I repeated for every preceeding episode: I love how they really stuck to the manga.
But, there is this question... If it is supposed to have 13 episodes, WTF was the meaning of such a long ED?

last edited at Nov 9, 2018 5:28PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Gushing about the episode every week might get a bit repetitive, so let's sum up the bad parts!
I mean... They kinda stretched the investigation into Touko's sister a bit... which gave it more weight that she was hiding it... which is an inoffensive and ostensibly good addition...?

Yeah, no, this anime rocks. Can't even pretend to find flaws. (not so flawless on the subs though)

Alright... in that scene where Sayaka and Yuu had that little talk, I must admit Sayaka sounded much less friendly than I remember it being in my head while reading the manga.

I dunno how well you can read the mood, but the manga didn't portray it as a friendly chat either. Sayaka was quite antagonistic.

last edited at Nov 9, 2018 5:36PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

"I remembered"
Emphasis on that part of the sentence.
EDIT:
Anyways, I'm off to re-watch the CBR, but I'll return to see further comments between now and my battery getting to 5%.

last edited at Nov 9, 2018 5:44PM

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

God, that post-credit scene… Even knowing she had no ill-intentions, Touko sounded almost creepy there. And selfish, which… is pretty much the cause of the current mess in the manga.

joined Apr 6, 2017

Gushing about the episode every week might get a bit repetitive, so let's sum up the bad parts!
I mean... They kinda stretched the investigation into Touko's sister a bit... which gave it more weight that she was hiding it... which is an inoffensive and ostensibly good addition...?

Yeah, no, this anime rocks. Can't even pretend to find flaws. (not so flawless on the subs though)

Alright... in that scene where Sayaka and Yuu had that little talk, I must admit Sayaka sounded much less friendly than I remember it being in my head while reading the manga.

I dunno how well you can read the mood, but the manga didn't portray it as a friendly chat either. Sayaka was quite antagonistic.

Well for a good while Sayaka saw Yuu as a threat as someone who she perceived as stepping into her sole territory with Touko. I can't remember clearly but it might not not been till Yuu approached Sayaka and they had their verbal battle at the restaurant that Yuu earned her respect. Then Sayaka started to become more willing to accept things and view Yuu being there as possibly a good thing.

joined Apr 6, 2017

God, that post-credit scene… Even knowing she had no ill-intentions, Touko sounded almost creepy there. And selfish, which… is pretty much the cause of the current mess in the manga.

Unfortunately we are losing stuff due to the poor quality of the official subs. I saw screenshot comparing a fansub and the official subs and the fan subs almost matched what is said in the manga while the official sub was completely out there.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Alright, okay, let's do a thought experiment. Just a little what-if, entertaining the most unlikely scenario. Let's assume Nakatani Nio loses her mind or some pushy Editor says "We need to stretch this out at all costs, so we can have a second anime season!" or something like that.

A possible way to drag out the plot that is not completely outrageous could be that Sayaka confesses during the school trip, but, now hear me out, Touko is in a pretty confused and depressed state. She can't make head or tails of her situation. If Sayaka confesses and Touko asks since when she has been hiding this and Sayaka says for a while or whatever, then Touko will see it as an echo of how she hurt Yuu. But unlike Yuu, Sayaka is not afraid to face her and even says she will accept a rejection.

Now Touko always appreciated how Sayaka doesn't pressure her and let her keep secrets, but she also realizes that Sayaka actually saw through her. Sayaka knows that Touko is changing and would actively support this. Where Sayaka keeps a strong front and keeps pushing, Yuu retreated out of consideration and denial.

In this scenario there is a possibility that Touko might accept the proposal of going out with Sayaka, to see where she really stands. She is close to Sayaka, but didn't tie her down like she did Yuu. She might not feel romantically for her (yet), but she wants to know if this current her can actually even feel like that anyway. Sayaka's love is passive, but straightforward, unlike Yuu's which has been painful and indecisive.

Now, obviously I am not saying this would lead to a Touko x Sayaka endgame. That is literally impossible for this story and I won't play devil's advocate for that. Still, if they started dating for these improper reasons, it will lead to Touko slowly realizing that it is different from what she feels for Yuu and that the love of a partner is not harmful. Yuu will obviously get hurt in the process from seeing that and has to deal with shutting her feelings down harder than before, but now that she actually knows what love feels like, she also feels heartbreak all the more. Jealousy and all those emotions she never had.

Ultimately it will end with Sayaka giving Touko the push to ask Yuu for forgiveness and mend their relationship, because she is sympathetic like that and doesn't want to live a farce.

I think this kind of arc is not unfeasible, but still highly unlikely.

PS: Don't make fanfiction of this, even Nakatani Nio can barely make this work. lol

Eh, I actually suggested something like this at one point, but I feel like the chance for something like this was predicated on Sayaka confessing first. Now that Yuu beat her to it, I can't see Touko accepting Sayaka's feelings. She knows she wants to be with Yuu, and she knows how accepting anybody else's confession after turning down Yuu would hurt the person she loves. I just can't see any possible way Touko could end up even temporarily with Sayaka at this point.

joined Apr 6, 2017

Alright, okay, let's do a thought experiment. Just a little what-if, entertaining the most unlikely scenario. Let's assume Nakatani Nio loses her mind or some pushy Editor says "We need to stretch this out at all costs, so we can have a second anime season!" or something like that.

A possible way to drag out the plot that is not completely outrageous could be that Sayaka confesses during the school trip, but, now hear me out, Touko is in a pretty confused and depressed state. She can't make head or tails of her situation. If Sayaka confesses and Touko asks since when she has been hiding this and Sayaka says for a while or whatever, then Touko will see it as an echo of how she hurt Yuu. But unlike Yuu, Sayaka is not afraid to face her and even says she will accept a rejection.

Now Touko always appreciated how Sayaka doesn't pressure her and let her keep secrets, but she also realizes that Sayaka actually saw through her. Sayaka knows that Touko is changing and would actively support this. Where Sayaka keeps a strong front and keeps pushing, Yuu retreated out of consideration and denial.

In this scenario there is a possibility that Touko might accept the proposal of going out with Sayaka, to see where she really stands. She is close to Sayaka, but didn't tie her down like she did Yuu. She might not feel romantically for her (yet), but she wants to know if this current her can actually even feel like that anyway. Sayaka's love is passive, but straightforward, unlike Yuu's which has been painful and indecisive.

Now, obviously I am not saying this would lead to a Touko x Sayaka endgame. That is literally impossible for this story and I won't play devil's advocate for that. Still, if they started dating for these improper reasons, it will lead to Touko slowly realizing that it is different from what she feels for Yuu and that the love of a partner is not harmful. Yuu will obviously get hurt in the process from seeing that and has to deal with shutting her feelings down harder than before, but now that she actually knows what love feels like, she also feels heartbreak all the more. Jealousy and all those emotions she never had.

Ultimately it will end with Sayaka giving Touko the push to ask Yuu for forgiveness and mend their relationship, because she is sympathetic like that and doesn't want to live a farce.

I think this kind of arc is not unfeasible, but still highly unlikely.

PS: Don't make fanfiction of this, even Nakatani Nio can barely make this work. lol

Eh, I actually suggested something like this at one point, but I feel like the chance for something like this was predicated on Sayaka confessing first. Now that Yuu beat her to it, I can't see Touko accepting Sayaka's feelings. She knows she wants to be with Yuu, and she knows how accepting anybody else's confession after turning down Yuu would hurt the person she loves. I just can't see any possible way Touko could end up even temporarily with Sayaka at this point.

Worrying thing is how often has this series already done the thing people didn't see coming and gone in a direction with things that people didn't expect it to go?

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Well for a good while Sayaka saw Yuu as a threat as someone who she perceived as stepping into her sole territory with Touko. I can't remember clearly but it might not not been till Yuu approached Sayaka and they had their verbal battle at the restaurant that Yuu earned her respect. Then Sayaka started to become more willing to accept things and view Yuu being there as possibly a good thing.

I am aware. Yuu was in Touko's way, so Sayaka anatgonized her. I was just reminding BV that it was always like this, even when he read the manga.

Unfortunately we are losing stuff due to the poor quality of the official subs. I saw screenshot comparing a fansub and the official subs and the fan subs almost matched what is said in the manga while the official sub was completely out there.

It's not generally that bad, they always get the message across more or less. Literalism isn't exactly necessary at all times.
An example that stood out to me was (paraphrased):
Manga: "I wish I could think of her as cute."
Subs: "I wish I could look at her the way she looks at me."

Now those sound very different, but they are essentially very similar. Because the entire scene implies that Touko looks at Yuu affectionately and Yuu wishes she could do the same back. Her wish to fall in love with Touko is basically set up here.

These kinds of translations convey more the idea than the literal thing being said. It's irksome if you know the original line, but I don't feel the subs are misguiding newcomers exactly. If there is a really egrigous alteration, may you give an example, because I didn't notice one. (I still think the sub is subpar for altering so much tho)

Does she now? Does she really know she wants to be with Yuu? Because that seems to be the issue right now. She subconsciously yearns for Yuu, but her mind doesn't accept that she needs her/wants to be with her anymore after the confession.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate with that, of course I don't want it to happen. I prefer good writing. lol

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

well touko is selfish there´s no doubt about it and about being creepy i think is more about the animation being kind of slopy at times and about the sub i think they´re fine

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

A question to anyone criticizing the subtitles: do you understand the Japanese dialogue well enough that you're able to tell [that / if / when] the anime dialogue is word-for-word the same as the manga dialogue, or are you just comparing the anime subs to the manga scanlation?

(edit: this is really just a question, not intended as an attack or accusation - I'm not familiar enough with the userbase to remember who here knows Japanese and who doesn't. I sure don't, myself.)

last edited at Nov 10, 2018 6:28AM

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

Can anybody translate the Koyomi's novel from the episode?

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

^^ Well, I don't even look at the subs most of the time, but the few times I did they seemed relatively accurate, at least to the idea.

About the "creepy" aspect, it's just the whole "Stay unable to love so that I can use you as a comfort pillow" thing. The VA's delivery might have something to do with it too.

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

^^ Well, I don't even look at the subs most of the time, but the few times I did they seemed relatively accurate, at least to the idea.

About the "creepy" aspect, it's just the whole "Stay unable to love so that I can use you as a comfort pillow" thing. The VA's delivery might have something to do with it too.

I was wondering if somebody actually wrote the text on Koyomi's novel or if it was just gibberish.

Untitled-1
joined Jun 19, 2013

A question to anyone criticizing the subtitles: do you understand the Japanese dialogue well enough that you're able to tell [that / if / when] the anime dialogue is word-for-word the same as the manga dialogue, or are you just comparing the anime subs to the manga scanlation?

(edit: this is really just a question, not intended as an attack or accusation - I'm not familiar enough with the userbase to remember who here knows Japanese and who doesn't. I sure don't, myself.)

Some of us, probably. Though a good part are probably basing of the scanalation.
That being said, when you just listen to what they're saying in the dialogue, it's pretty blatant that they're using the wrong subject and taking some big liberties at times in localization when it's not an actual mess up on their end.

At that point, sometimes it's better not to even look at the sub cause it causes dissonance from what you're hearing. :/
While the main point gets across with the subs most of the time, the mistranslation of subjects was especially bad in episode 3 & 6.

last edited at Nov 10, 2018 9:07AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Worrying thing is how often has this series already done the thing people didn't see coming and gone in a direction with things that people didn't expect it to go?

I would say that once the series introduced the characters and established its basic premises: almost never.

I think in general that all along the series has done a very good job of subtly opening up a range of plausible possibilities, so by the time any specific direction is taken, whatever happens is within that established range. So some development might initially have been within the lower range of probabilities, but nothing comes off as a sudden swerve of the plot or characterization.

Lots of things might have happened that didn’t, so in that respect things have been surprising, but almost always in a low-key rather than dramatic direction.

• Sayaka might have been a love-triangle rival all along.
  • Sayaka or Yuu could have confessed at the training camp.
  • Maki’s knowledge of the Yuu/Touko relationship might have played some role in the story (it still might, but it hasn’t yet).
  • Koyomi (or Sayaka) might have discovered the Y/T relationship.
  • Touko might have reacted differently to Yuu’s confession (or Yuu might have reacted differently to Touko’s reaction).

And so on. But major shifts in overall direction or radical changes in the behavior of the characters just aren’t in this one’s DNA.

why cant they make anime out of the good ones like girl friends
i want me a 1x1/2 anime xd

joined Oct 22, 2018

First: That is a valid point.
But, second: Learn from my mistakes, and go to Dynasty Cafe before you get accused of spam.

joined Apr 6, 2017

I am aware. Yuu was in Touko's way, so Sayaka anatgonized her. I was just reminding BV that it was always like this, even when he read the manga.

It's not generally that bad, they always get the message across more or less. Literalism isn't exactly necessary at all times.
An example that stood out to me was (paraphrased):
Manga: "I wish I could think of her as cute."
Subs: "I wish I could look at her the way she looks at me."

Now those sound very different, but they are essentially very similar. Because the entire scene implies that Touko looks at Yuu affectionately and Yuu wishes she could do the same back. Her wish to fall in love with Touko is basically set up here.

These kinds of translations convey more the idea than the literal thing being said. It's irksome if you know the original line, but I don't feel the subs are misguiding newcomers exactly. If there is a really egrigous alteration, may you give an example, because I didn't notice one. (I still think the sub is subpar for altering so much tho)

Does she now? Does she really know she wants to be with Yuu? Because that seems to be the issue right now. She subconsciously yearns for Yuu, but her mind doesn't accept that she needs her/wants to be with her anymore after the confession.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate with that, of course I don't want it to happen. I prefer good writing. lol

https://i.imgur.com/EOURWcw.jpg Left being the fan sub while right is official.

joined Apr 6, 2017

I was wondering if somebody actually wrote the text on Koyomi's novel or if it was just gibberish.

Someone said from skimming over it that it appeared to be a story. Apparently the manga author had a hand in the anime and wrote the novel pages and letter for the anime.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Are you implying YagaKimi doesn't deserve an anime? Or that 1x1/2 actually does? Bad jokes don't always make you sympathetic, ya know?

https://i.imgur.com/EOURWcw.jpg Left being the fan sub while right is official.

Welp, one is about Yuu herself as a foundation of how she judges Touko's actions, the other directly addresses Touko. The meaning is the same, one is just way more subtle and well written. lol

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

if you're talking about the episode 3, yeah it's been bad. Coz it really made the viewers confused with confusing way of delivering point of view. But as of now that's the only part that is consider as a major mistake. The official sub isn't translating the literal words what it said in Japanese. But how it would be assumed or equally means in English, or if in dub, how it would be good to hear, but same amount of meanings. That's basically the way of translating. PersonalIy, I watched the RAW first to practice my Japanese then the sub part to know if I listened correctly. I'll be doomed if I pick every word literal in English, and think, yeah it's better to say it like that. Like the part Yuu said, in sub, "I have someone too, you know. I am not alone", in Jap, "I am also not alone, I am not alone." If you think of it, saying you aren't alone too, means you have somebody with you or in Yuu's case she has her family, or Touko though not officially. It's still the same idea. I woudn't consider it as losing stuff.

Moreover, still prefer this official sub, coz they retain the honorific status. Fansubs I saw changed it to surnames. And it's slightly annoying for me.

last edited at Nov 10, 2018 5:58PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.