Forum › Lily Love discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Maybe I'm a "generic" person at heart, but I would have been disappointed if her dad softened her stance. In terms of story, having him remain firm in his awfulness makes sense, whereas I think it's more common (and to some degree weaker) for the homophobic parent to show at least internal regret at their actions.

joined Jul 8, 2013

Alright, its been a while since I commented but I gotta say, JUST FUCKING TELL HER YOU CHEATING ON HER YOU FUCKING IDIOT! STOP FUCKING DRAGGING THIS OUT FOREVER AND GET OVER WITH IT! I swear to fuck if they just skip over the fuck that Donut made out with another girl because "Hey, she was just angry and didn't have any feelings her" I might actually be done with this series because that would just be too stupid. Donut seems to have just forgotten it happened though (although to be fair, she hasn't really had an opportunity) but I don't want to fucking see her smiling or blushing or anything, regardless of their current situation. She should feel like an enormous pile of shit right now because what she did was a shitty thing and she should IMMEDIATELY TELL HER. I know that it hasn't even been a day since it happened but with the flow that this series has entered it's starting to feel like they just fucking skipped that, which would be bullshit. They've built a momentum and with this momentum if they just suddenly brought it up again it'd feel awkward and out of nowhere. It's driving me insane. JUST FUCKING TELL HER YOU CHEATED! FUCK! Okay, rant over. Been holding that in for a while now. I imagine large parts of that were illegible but I feel a little better.

Also, not gonna say anything about the father because, really, just about everything that could be said about him has been said already lol.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

There is nothing "generic" about Mew having confronted her father this forcefully. This kind of confrontation, executed in this kind of brutally stark and unflinching way, is pretty much never depicted in yuri, at least not the Japanese yuri we are accustomed to. Despite what some here want to pretend, this is not at all common, and I truly do appreciate Ratana's depiction of it in this way.

I also agree that it makes sense, both narratively and in terms of realism, for Mew's father to remain obdurate. He is an example of the people who will never change their attitude no matter what. Something else that will not change is that Mew is better off without him in her life. The notion that "children are always better off with their parents" is incorrect; children are very frequently much better off without having to shoulder their parents' baggage, and Mew's life will surely be happier and healthier as such.

Thank you again, and as always, Ratana and 3M.

last edited at Sep 4, 2016 7:34PM

41d15eb7093baec072fbb832ad7e1d7d
joined Jun 27, 2014

Alright, its been a while since I commented but I gotta say, JUST FUCKING TELL HER YOU CHEATING ON HER YOU FUCKING IDIOT! STOP FUCKING DRAGGING THIS OUT FOREVER AND GET OVER WITH IT! I swear to fuck if they just skip over the fuck that Donut made out with another girl because "Hey, she was just angry and didn't have any feelings her" I might actually be done with this series because that would just be too stupid. Donut seems to have just forgotten it happened though (although to be fair, she hasn't really had an opportunity) but I don't want to fucking see her smiling or blushing or anything, regardless of their current situation. She should feel like an enormous pile of shit right now because what she did was a shitty thing and she should IMMEDIATELY TELL HER. I know that it hasn't even been a day since it happened but with the flow that this series has entered it's starting to feel like they just fucking skipped that, which would be bullshit. They've built a momentum and with this momentum if they just suddenly brought it up again it'd feel awkward and out of nowhere. It's driving me insane. JUST FUCKING TELL HER YOU CHEATED! FUCK! Okay, rant over. Been holding that in for a while now. I imagine large parts of that were illegible but I feel a little better.

Also, not gonna say anything about the father because, really, just about everything that could be said about him has been said already lol.

I realize that we all have freedom of speech and that we DO use it as we please , but I would like to say that you can get your point across without so many cuss words . Yes there are some times when using an expletive is needed but going overboard is really hurting the eyes . I bear no ill will as you are free to say what you want , but it wouldn't hurt to keep things toned down just a bit and keep it somewhat civil .

P.S on a side note sorry if this seemed nosy my ingrained manners really do have me poke my nose into things hehehe kisses anyways .

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It always weirds me out when I see someone critique X for being a "generic" or "cliche" or what have you trope of a genre except I've never seen it in that genre. It surprises me how often this happens.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

If you didn't see it in that genre, it's because usually, japanese authors just imply it. OF COURSE, the father is going to reject their child's homosexuality. It goes without saying.

Japanese authors usually go for the subtext. They write it in a way that the readers have to make their own assumptions, which are usually correct. It's a very japanese way of writing. What's not exposed is still implied and the author counts on the reader to understand it.

In Lily Love, Ratana Satis exposes it and tells it plainly, without subtext or any call to the reader's thinking.

That's what is so "shocking", because some readers here, who are used to manga, are under the impression of being told the obvious.

I guess it's a different way of writing, maybe because she's not japanese.

Tofu
joined Feb 8, 2016

I think Nya-chan has the right idea here. I don't know if it's just a non-Japanese thing or just how Ratana likes to go about writing, but you never have to read between the lines in her work, because she'll lay it all out for you from 7 different (beautifully drawn) angles. Pulse has marginally more mystery (Mel's past, Grace's domestic abuse), but is otherwise the same way (really have no doubt she'll flesh out Mel's baggage eventually).

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

spacepowers posted:

Yeah I haven't seen this kind of thing much at all.

When I think of cheesy generic drama I think of either love triangles or an extreme misunderstanding that could by solved by just having a discussion of the other person. As far as homophobic parents, that's something that I don't think gets enough treatment.

That is mostly because mangas almost never goes into actual dating, be it yuri or shoujo and as you said, if it goes into it, it usually focus on "safe" drama of love triangle or stupid misunderstandings (or my least favorite, forced to break up), because it is sure way to cause feels and make reader be curious how it will be solved (at least those who didn't already get enough of it and saw past this bs). Even in shoujo stuff like meeting parents is almost never brought up. Honestly, if any yuri goes for serious drama, it is at best about how loving other girl is wrong and/or unrequited love. And even then, it usually doesn't even go further than confrontation with 1-2 involved people. I almost never see anyone actually coming out and confronting their classmates etc. Of course I enjoy fluffy, drama free stuff, but I really crave to read more stories where it goes into more serious dating with some real problems.

Nya-chan posted:

I guess it's a different way of writing, maybe because she's not japanese.

I think we are in general more used to things being straightforward. Sure there are some implied stuff, but it seem like most of writers don't have issue with stating things clearly. As Nya-chan said, reading between lines and only including stuff most important, is natural way most japanese write their stuff (and how their language works in general). They thrive in vagueness. I really don't think rest of Asia follow this, so I don't think it is that surprising Ratana would write in more direct way.

Vpbikxq
joined Mar 30, 2015

Maybe I'm a "generic" person at heart, but I would have been disappointed if her dad softened her stance. In terms of story, having him remain firm in his awfulness makes sense, whereas I think it's more common (and to some degree weaker) for the homophobic parent to show at least internal regret at their actions.

i find it fitting as well. There's a weird duality to how certain Donut is that her feelings won't change, and then at the same time the father is also just as resolute about his own opinion never changing.

joined Feb 18, 2015

You tell her donut!

joined Jan 6, 2016

Donut is my sweet daughter

Img_8470
joined Sep 6, 2016

A little confused by all the plot-points and unsaid things over the place. But I guess it's flowing like some real relationships do when communication is poor, so... realism?

Osu
joined Jul 29, 2016

I think the thing that surprises me the most so far, is the fact that Mew's mother is able to continue being with someone like the father. After knowing he despises his own daughter so, and basically doesn't give a shit about her.
Then again her mother seems like a really shy, obedient type of person. Someone who probably couldn't hold their own in any kind of argument, especially against someone as assertive and aggressive as her husband.

Then again, what do I know about Asian families ¯|_(ツ)_/¯

last edited at Sep 8, 2016 7:28PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Then again, what do I know about Asian families ¯|_(ツ)_/¯

Happens in the west too, it's not even all that rare.

joined Aug 28, 2016

Looks good so far╮(╯▽╰)╭

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

cant care for this generic drama :p

last edited at Oct 2, 2016 6:12PM

joined Oct 1, 2016

This is so cute omg!!!

joined Sep 12, 2016

when they will update?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

when they will update?

When they're ready. Don't whine about releases, please.

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

News from Lezhin Facebook

Lily Love will be now published on their website!

Before you bombard our inbox with questions:

• Yes, it will be pay for view

• No, we won’t stop translating

• Yes, it will still be able to read on Dynasty Scans

Now you probably ask yourself “Why I should buy it on Lezhin when I can read on Dynasty for free?”. It’s simple - on Lezhin you will read UPDATED & CORRECTED (new translation, better edition) version of chapters (the same we are using for book versions). And of course by buying there you support Ratana and Publisher (only thanks to Lezhin generosity we can still release our chapters on tumblr and Dynasty)

When it will be published? Soon… Faster than you think :3

http://three-musqueerteers.tumblr.com/post/152608844311/news-from-lezhin-facebook-lily-love-will-be-now

Later chapters here and description will be updated

last edited at Nov 1, 2016 4:11PM

Screen%20shot%202015-01-02%20at%2011.59.56%20pm
joined Jun 4, 2015

just saw on their teaser tuesday post, which generally come out like a week after they post them. Im stoked Ratana is getting so much support and I'll probably end up buying it all cause im a bourgeois piece of shit. Super cool theyre letting it stay on dynasty tho, def more chill than lezhin has been in the past.

joined Jun 14, 2013

Spoilers
What a disappointment this manga turned out to be. Of course I'll always appreciate well done art but come on, this was written pretty generically. Like using the same old tropes we've all seen before, fucking cheating, dumbass misunderstandings, but I guess that's melo drama for you. It's a boring genre especially if the writers don't get creative with their writing plots, or at least try to make it different from the usual. It's really a shame how it turned out to be, in my opinion of course.

joined Dec 7, 2016

When the translated manga 29 will be released? I'm waiting for it, because i can't read thai hahaha.

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

When the translated manga 29 will be released? I'm waiting for it, because i can't read thai hahaha.

When it will be done

joined Jun 12, 2015

The promised time has come.

To reply you must either login or sign up.