Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

@Nevri Not only that but you've also got memorias like these three memorias. Also so far this event isn't too tough either in the main or CQs. I just need a few more Nanaka potions to get my first copy of her.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Guess it's back to the wiki with me!

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

@Nevri Not only that but you've also got memorias like these three memorias. Also so far this event isn't too tough either in the main or CQs. I just need a few more Nanaka potions to get my first copy of her.

It's a shame they're currently JP only as far as I know. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Mirror story behind the third memoria (Rika/Ren) is.

To an anime-and-doujins-only follower of MagiReco like me, Warmth of Your Hand sounds very yuri and extremely lewd.

There's also dual units, which are one fighting unit consisting of two magical girls. Like Iroha*Yachiyo and Rika*Ren. As a bonus, if you want more ship-teasing subtext that clearly needs to become text, a JP server Redditor translated some of the home screen dialogue the IroYachi unit says. Link here and scroll down a bit to find the comment.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

riverFlower posted:

It's a shame they're currently JP only as far as I know.

First two are available in NA though.

more ship-teasing subtext that clearly needs to become text

Implying it's not text already.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

riverFlower posted:

Oh they are? o: I've never seen them before. Are they available only through gacha or were they event memoria?

As much as I ship all of them and would fight to the death if someone were to say my OTPs don't exist, the writers have never explicitly showed/confirmed that any of them hold romantic feelings for the other. And that's how you get a multitude of ships and/or the possibility of them all being gal pals.

Personally it does annoy me how the writers will write in all of this ship-teasing/subtext between the characters, which could be fine and rationalized as "magical girls don't have time for love", except they also have magical girls who have explicit guy crushes (Hinano, Ami, Inui, Sayaka, etc.). So heteronormativity for the win.

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

So heteronormativity for the win.

C'mon now. What is Rika, chopped liver?

last edited at May 11, 2020 5:31PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

@riverFlower The first memoria was from the Christmas event Alina's Coming to Town, second another Christmas event, the third one I don't know where it came from.

last edited at May 11, 2020 5:35PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

riverFlower posted:

riverFlower posted:

Oh they are? o: I've never seen them before. Are they available only through gacha or were they event memoria?

First is a reward from missions during first christmas event and second was in limited gacha along with Holy Alina during second christmas, so you should be able to drop it during future Holy Alina's banners.

As much as I ship all of them and would fight to the death if someone were to say my OTPs don't exist, the writers have never explicitly showed/confirmed that any of them hold romantic feelings for the other. And that's how you get a multitude of ships and/or the possibility of them all being gal pals.

I mean, to me IroYachi is pretty much Canon Subtext category, the same how MadoHomu is and honestly, they are pretty much confirmed during Rebellion. Also you forgot about Rika and Yu x Kei seems to be pretty obvious, but I mean, if RikaRen and IroYachi dual units are not suggestive enough, I can't really argue with you. I get that most people don't consider subtext text, but at some point subtext become so blatant it can only be seen as a actual text.

last edited at May 11, 2020 7:05PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

So heteronormativity for the win.

C'mon now. What is Rika, chopped liver?

The one undoubtedly canon lesbian in a franchise that's been in existence for nine years. XD Or one of three including Kei and Yuu. I don't have a vendetta against the series, writers, or anything, I just think it goes to show how progress in explicitly depicting same-sex romance/romantic feelings is slow. I was very happy when I read her MSS though.

@riverFlower The first memoria was from the Christmas event Alina's Coming to Town, second another Christmas event, the third one I don't know where it came from.

Did not know that, thanks for pointing them out.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Well, I'm now done maxing out Ashley, Mayu, Kokoro, Nanaka, Yachiyo and Rika's episode levels. Am now working on Kako, Masara, Tsuruno, and Kaede.

I also promoted Nanaka to 4* and bought the Light Tercio (Water) formation.

last edited at May 13, 2020 12:38AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

The one undoubtedly canon lesbian

Are we really doing Homura dirty here? she is very direct about the nature of her feelings for Madoka in the final sequence of Rebellion, you really cannot interpreate it in any other way unless you are being willfully blind to it, what was she missing, wearing a pride flag button on her school bag or something?

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Are we really doing Homura dirty here? she is very direct about the nature of her feelings for Madoka in the final sequence of Rebellion, you really cannot interpreate it in any other way unless you are being willfully blind to it, what was she missing, wearing a pride flag button on her school bag or something?

I mean you'd be surprised. I only started thinking about this recently because I saw a Reddit post where somebody was arguing exactly for that, that Homura's declaration of love could be interpreted in other ways. While I was searching for that specific post, I came across even more posts and comments questioning whether there really were romantic feelings involved.

Anyway that's all I wanted to say about the series and my own wish that some day there will be at least one instance where built up subtext between characters becomes full-on text. And if that never happens, even with characters like Rika already being out, then I hope the world changes enough that some day this can become normal.

I won't be replying to any more comments on this topic as I think it's treading the same ground and it's not like I disagree with anything being said about the characters themselves. Interesting talk though.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I mean you'd be surprised. I only started thinking about this recently because I saw a Reddit post where somebody was arguing exactly for that, that Homura's declaration of love could be interpreted in other ways. While I was searching for that specific post, I came across even more posts and comments questioning whether there really were romantic feelings involved.

Anyway that's all I wanted to say about the series and my own wish that some day there will be at least one instance where built up subtext between characters becomes full-on text. And if that never happens, even with characters like Rika already being out, then I hope the world changes enough that some day this can become normal.

I won't be replying to any more comments on this topic as I think it's treading the same ground and it's not like I disagree with anything being said about the characters themselves. Interesting talk though.

joined Oct 22, 2018

^ Lilliwyt, for the love of every diety in every religion, please re-post that meme in the Discord server (if you haven't already). Please?!

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Woah... that is the exact type of garbage that absolutely gets me seething... this is exactly what Nevri has been talking about the entire time, this level of ridiculous, grasping at straws scrutiny would not even be considered if this was about a straight couple...

And that's the worst part, it actively requires you to ignore everything we know about the behind the scenes of Rebellion, we know that the original script was significantly more over the top about about Homura's declaration of love, but Yukihiro Miyamoto, one of the directors under chief director Akiyuki Shinbo, talked Shinbo into toning it down because he thought that the original script was so on the nose that it was insulting the viewer's intelligence, but he was clearly wrong, because we now get people posting stupid garbage like that online...

Not to mention the sheer tone of the series, look at my avatar, that is official art, it is an obtainable Memoria in MagiReco, how can you possibly look at it and think "Yeah, that's only subtext, there is absolutely nothing to confirm that they see each other in romantic light in there"... jesus f'ing christ...

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Well I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter what the facts say (or don't say) so I don't worry too much about what they think.

On an unrelated note, today I maxed out my Tsuruno and Masara's episode level; maxed out Iroha, Yachiyo, and Hinano's magia level; and got Hinano and Yachiyo's doppel so I guess today was another day of much progress. I also finished clearing the event shop.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

On an unrelated note, today I maxed out my Tsuruno and Masara's episode level; maxed out Iroha, Yachiyo, and Hinano's magia level; and got Hinano and Yachiyo's doppel so I guess today was another day of much progress. I also finished clearing the event shop.

Wow, how have you gotten that much done in one day? Were they already close to being maxed out? I've yet to get anybody to episode lvl 5, much less unlock a doppel. Have also only logged in 30 days in total if that explains it.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Yeesh. I managed to get Nanaka from wherever I had her up to 5 star + doppel but that's about it. I can't be arsed to spend THAT much time... of
course I do have Yachiyo, Nanaka, Tsuruno, Kyouko, Glasses Homura, and Madoka's doppels unlocked (and will have Iroha pretty much immediately as soon as they unlock her 5 star) so it's not like I havent put in too much time regardless....

last edited at May 14, 2020 1:09AM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

@riverFlower I've been hoarding items for a while and the main thing holding me back was a lack of Episode Points which prevented me from getting my magia levels up there. I still do have a bunch of my girls who are max level, but only level 1 magia since I'm focusing on the ones I like a lot first then the others.

I started in January of this year and have five doppels unlocked so far: Ultimate Madoka, Moemura, Yachiyo, Mifuyu, and Hinano. I'm still deciding on whether to finish Tsuruno or Rika next as both of them are magia level 3. Rika can't get to 5* so that means no doppel right now. Also, I might work on Ashley who's a 5* unit which does not have a doppel (yet anyway).

Ashley will likely get a Doppel when her Fate Weave gets a rerun, hopefully along with an event that isn't just a login event

Also I hope its a while after anniversary as I am going to spend all my rolls on IrohaYachiyo but I do want the fourth slot for Ashley

joined Oct 22, 2018

Well I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter what the facts say (or don't say) so I don't worry too much about what they think.

"They don't care about facts, because facts don't care about their feelings."
~ Ian Danskin

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Ashley getting a Doppel is more complicated, all Doppels(all Witches, in fact) are designed by InuCurry, so I find it unlikely Ashely will get a Doppel at all for as long as she remains a NA-exclusive character, I am also sure that she won't remain NA-exclusive forever, it just wouldn't make sense and NA versions of gachas inevitably die before their JP counterparts, even if I find it unlikely MagiReco will go anywhere for several years still... on the plus side, they deliberately set up Ashley's kit in a way that makes her by far the least likely character in the game to ever need her Doppel, so they are aware of this.

Also about progress... Episode level isn't all that difficult to top off, it is only about 68k points total and you can farm a girl's personal story nodes for 720 Episode points per run as long as she is set as Leader(and 240 for any other girls in the party), it only takes an hour or two to top it off if you grind for it, I had OG Homura fully maxed out only a few hours after she released.

...though this also feels awkward for me to talk about progress in context here, I been playing since launch(day 2, since I spent some time rerolling, but I started rerolling day 1), and I have every single one of my girls max level and Episode level 5, as well as almost every single 5* girl with their Doppel unlocked(only missing Kanae), there is also no way for me to bring this up without coming across as if I am flexing... I just play gachas a lot in general and this is probably my favorite gacha nowdays, due to my general love for PMMM as a franchise, so I give it a lot of focus...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Actually from what I read it's not first time that meguca was released without Doppel. It happened few times in JP as well. And the reason is exactly that InuCurry is handling all Doppels so they just sometimes don't have time to design them when girl is being added. And missing Dopples were released without banner or anything special like that, so we don't need to necessary wait for next Ashley banner. And the reason i heard she didn't get Doppel is exactly that InuCurry was busy with anime and didn't have time to design it so now that animu is over, I assume we should get her Doppel sooner or later. I do agree that she's definitely not a meguca that needs it asap, cos they already released her in meta breaking state.

@Veya, don't worry, I was flexing in thread earlier so xP I also play pretty much since the start, though I think I started with 1 week delay, but I currently have all my girls at episode lvl 4 or higher and I'm in process of maxing everyone's magia. Soon everyone will be at least at lvl 4.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I started playing in like, October so I'm way behind everyone else lol

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Honestly, if not for the NA tempo, it wouldn't be that big of a difference.

last edited at May 14, 2020 8:21AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.