Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Muggles, heh I never though I'd hear that in a discussion about Madoka given that the existence of magical girls is not exactly really secret.

I just default to using "muggles" to any non-magical person in any setting where magic exists, it is a quick, (near) universally known term that lets anyone know what I mean without further explanation, I can already get wordy enough without using shorthand terms like that...

Plus things are more in secrecy than we give it credit for, and it is good that it is that way, the Tokime Village event shows exactly how dire things can get when a group of corrupt adults gain knowledge of the magical girl system...

And magical girls don't even have a community, they exist in small groups at most.

Part 2 MagiReco suggests it is actually quite the opposite, most cities have high meguca density and Mitakihara is an exception by only having six(counting Oriko and Kirika, and that Kyoko's territory is Kazamino instead) at a time, you have to consider that high meguca density also means more girls will become Witches and more Grief Seeds will be produced, and as long as there is a consistent supply of new girls contracting, it will uphold itself fairly well, it is really not a pretty situation to be in but it is functional to a degree.

And Kamihama had a very high meguca density before the Doppel system, and it is something that had been around for generations, but before it led to consistent conflict and gang wars in dispute for territory, several rules had to be in place and they were constantly broken, leading to more conflict and negotiations, there is a reason Yachiyo is the leader of the West and Kanagi is the leader of the East, with Hinano having been the closest Chuo Ward had to a leader, Spurred to Separation/Breakpoint goes into some detail of how bad things were, and how things started to improve even before the Doppel system took root.

last edited at Apr 27, 2020 7:44AM

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

Something I've been thinking about, I'm assuming that Magical Girls that existed before the current doppel system were still able to be saved by the Law of Cycles and only girls that happen after it and Iroha's "intervention" can't be (directly) saved by the Law of Cycles.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

That's also incorrect... the way the Law of Cycles works is that it reaches out through all history and functionally erases the idea of Witches from that universe, no girl ever becomes a Witch, and no Witches exist to be fought, Witches are still a thing technically speaking, they exist as part of the system but the Law of Cycles' constant intervention prevents even the Incubators from learning that they are actually a thing.

MagiReco's universe was never part of the Law of Cycles, and it likely will never be.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

And I though I found a loophole where they could escape... :( Also from what I've read both Yachiyo and Iroha become agents of the Law of Cycles. The also get angel wings when both of them hold hands so it's clear the the Law of Cycles has some influence in the Magia Record timeline even if she's not capable of directly saving people like she can in other universes or timelines.

Also on an unrelated note, why doesn't Touka and Nemu use their super intelligence to do something, like make magical girl science babies.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Yes, there is direct involvement from Madokami into the story, but how that involvement happens... it happens in chapter 10, we are very close at this point, so I will not say anything about that.

It should also be noted, the playable Nagisa in MagiReco is actually Cycles Nagisa, that is, she is the Nagisa from the original series' universe, and in fact an envoy of the Law of Cycles, Nagisa from the MagiReco universe still became a Witch, and Charlotte proves herself to be the most powerful Witch ever fought short of Walpurgis herself, her hunger-based nature causing her familiars to rapidly develop into full Witches, creating dozens upon dozens of Charlotte copies, which both Kamihama Cheese Panic and Mirror World Chocolatier events revolve around fighting, the later of which ends with Mami fighting Charlotte Prime, that is, the Charlotte that actually was Nagisa, to save Cycles Nagisa who had become trapped in Charlotte's labyrinth, and winning the fight this time.

Also on an unrelated note, why doesn't Touka and Nemu use their super intelligence to do something, like make magical girl science babies.

...they are 11, I don't think they are anywhere near the point where they would start thinking about what building a family would even entail, even in the context of super intelligence, some aspects of life only come with actual maturity.

Though they did end up with a daughter regardless, even if that's much, much less of what you meant...

last edited at Apr 28, 2020 7:36AM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

I've been thinking Sana likes cats and Iroha (among other things) so how would she react to a catgirl Iroha? Also does anyone know if such a picture exists (and if possible) a link to either the artist or the drawing?

I haven't seen any art like that, I will link it to this forum if I see any though

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

I need to stop putting off doing the event quests and gaining the event AP. While we have till the tenth to farm, I've barely even started the event other than doing a few of the CQs for the free SQ.

Well we have to wait until the rest of the challenge quests are unlocked before farming the event, it's way more efficient to farm Challenge 19 or 20 compared to Challenge 10

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

I just went through the event's story, and boy is it getting good. No spoilers, but it's really got me holding my breath to see how it will all get resolved.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Event story has now been resolved, and I thought it was awesome. I'm missing some of the tie-ins with Nagisa's event, in terms of having personally experienced it, but I got filled in somewhat and it helped explain some parts of Yuu's story.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Speaking of Yuu, I'd really like to see her as a playable character or at least something beyond a siloette like in the events. Her appearance makes me want to learn more about her as a person. Also riverFlow I've found a YouTube video that has the English version of the Nagisa's Wish event in case you are interested in viewing it.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Also riverFlow I've found a YouTube video that has the English version of the Nagisa's Wish event in case you are interested in viewing it.

Oh no, I already got emotionally wrecked by this event, time to do it again even more brutally. XD Thanks for the link.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I just watched it, and that was a feels trip all the way, from start to finish. Way more brutal than Beachside Bonds which at least had a fair amount of cute moments.

The link between the two events was pretty awesome though, seeing Yu's "development". What on earth was up with her magical girl outfit though, like some sort of fucked up harlequin. I really loved the idea behind her character, another character with a morally grey motive who does terrible things that could be considered beneficial to the world, but by normal human standards is morally reprehensible.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

This event actually has a fairly interesting interaction with #NATempo, in JP, this event came before Nagisa's, so you'd learn this part of the story before the latter, but in NA, since this came after, you look at this entire event with a very different light, assuming you had done Nagisa's event... I honestly feel it comes out a stronger story in that order, because Yu suddenly has a lot more meaning when she appears, when you already know her as that amnesiac serial killer.

Though I can't agree that Yu's actions are "beneficial to the world", or at least it isn't as clean cut as that, and I felt Nagisa's event shows that pretty well, by recklessly targetting anyone who could be considered "bad", you leave a lot collateral damage, because those "bad" people are still important to someone, both Inui and Nagisa are examples of this, and abusive as her mother might've been, Nagisa still loved her, because it is natural for children to love their parents, Yu caused the death of a very young child that day, and even if Nagisa hadn't contracted at all, the trauma of having to watch her mother die would've likely damaged her forever, and we know it took literal divine intervention for Cycles Nagisa to recover from that.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Though I can't agree that Yu's actions are "beneficial to the world", or at least it isn't as clean cut as that, and I felt Nagisa's event shows that pretty well, by recklessly targetting anyone who could be considered "bad", you leave a lot collateral damage, because those "bad" people are still important to someone...

That's the point in my eyes, is that caring about these "bad" people and about the impact their absence could leave on others, is completely typical of humans and social animals. It's a moral standard that we create/have based on our natures as social beings. Attachment, as I believe you are describing, has biological underpinnings, is by in large helpful, but when those attachments start to cause more harm to us than good, they start seeming downright irrational.

And Yuu is free of that moral standard. She is free of those attachments. She can see the world in black and white, uncomplicated by any other irrational attachments. In that world, other people are just bodies, who once dead, are masses of organs and flesh to be disposed of. The only justification for their continued existence is if they are "good". Therefore the "bad" must be eliminated. So how could Yuu have known their deaths could hurt others? They were bad people, and that'd be irrational to care about bad people. Just look at her conversation with Inui to see how clueless she is of why Inui would care so much about Shou being killed.

It's not the most ground-breaking fucked up motivation that exists, but I found the way Yuu embodies it brilliant. If we all thought the way she did, then we'd think it was beneficial to the world. That it's the only way to live. Of course humans don't actually operate like that, which is why everybody else gives her a wide berth. And that's why I say it could be considered beneficial, not that it necessarily is, but it is thought provoking nonetheless.

last edited at May 8, 2020 8:11PM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I still cannot see any of that as being incredibly hollow, ignoring nuance in situations is fundamentally not benefitial, and you can say anything can make sense through some warped point of view, that doesn't make it special or outstanding, you are just describing ignoring emotional nuance in favor of raw cold logic, and that's already done with Kyubey for the entire franchise.

Whatever her wish was, it caused her to completely and utterly lose her sense of self along with all memories of her past life, which to me was the true story beind told, someone so lost and so broken that she is following a hollow purpose just to find sense in her being alive, and being unable to interact with the world around her properly, even Kei describes her as such, and there is a clear sense the real reason she wanted Yu to die at this point isn't even as much about their pact, but rather out of sheer concern, that if Yu continues on this path she will simply become a Witch and lose herself even further.

Frankly this is the main thing that left me concerned at the end of those two events, that someone like her is loose out there in this world, and that I feel a strong need for a third event involving her so she can be properly put down, I dunno, maybe go feed her to Charlotte for some good catharsis, Charlotte Prime is gone but I am sure her copies would have a field day with Yu...

last edited at May 8, 2020 10:03PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Well my Hinano just hit episode level 5 tonight. I was finally able to get my Felicia to 5* and max level. My Mayu and Kokoro are nearing episode level 5, and I was able to buy out all mats from this event's shop.

If you don't have Nanaka in your account like me, tomorrow she's getting her 5* unlock and will be purchasable from her event shop along with the usual stuff.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I saw that that unlock for Nanaka was happening so I spent inordinate amounts of time doing what I needed to 4-slot her through stuff from this event... after I bought out everything relevant to my interests of course. So I'll have her up to 5* in a couple days cuz I have no life and nothing better to do.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Well my Hinano just hit episode level 5 tonight. I was finally able to get my Felicia to 5* and max level. My Mayu and Kokoro are nearing episode level 5, and I was able to buy out all mats from this event's shop.

Congrats on the episode lvl 5s, those take quite a while.

last edited at May 11, 2020 4:20AM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Congrats on the episode lvl 5s, those take quite a while.

It's not too terrible, I just spam the last available chapter for the character with them in the group set as leader. I play on my tablet tho so it's pretty easy to just keep half an eye on the fights auto completing while watching tv or doing whatever else.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Don't forget using The Warmth of Your Hand memoria that boosts Episode points and CC as well if you have it. That also helps a lot.

I just bought out the standard memoria set and it really helps out a lot. While it will set you back 150 SQ, it has 3 rainbow orbs, 3 million CC, 30 daily coins, and 90 Master XP cards++ so it was worth it in my book. Am thinking about spending some money to get the premium set which includes a 4* magical girl of your choice and one extra destiny crystal so plus two to her slots, 30 Master XP cards++, 30 daily coins, 3 million CC, and 5! rainbow orbs.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

To an anime-and-doujins-only follower of MagiReco like me, Warmth of Your Hand sounds very yuri and extremely lewd.

last edited at May 11, 2020 10:46AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I'm currently on my road to maxing every meguca I own, because I have nothing better to do with all the mats I have, cos I finished maxing everyone I could ever care about ages ago. Just hit magia lvl 5 with my Homura (and would be faster if I bothered to keep playing new story quests and story challenge quests when we got half ap, because they give a lot of episode points, but spending ap with them was a huge pain) so to me, outside of 4 star meguca, those sets are a waste of gems.

BV posted:

To an anime-and-doujins-only follower of MagiReco like me, Warmth of Your Hand sounds very yuri and extremely lewd.

Well, it is.

last edited at May 11, 2020 12:28PM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

BV posted:

Well, it is.

This is the happiest I've been to something I accidentally and unknowingly got right.

To reply you must either login or sign up.