Forum › Looking Up to Magical Girls discussion

joined May 1, 2015

Utena is definitely the best.
The best leader always takes care of her subordinates.
She is my spirit animal.

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

Hm, the new member is interesting. If it stays true to the genre, the good magical girls will get some powerups sooner or later too, I think.

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Ah, excellent, a strong ally in mindbreaking the magical girls.

Yeah. The mascots are definitely working together.

Also, I don't think I like the new girl. Her design is nice and all, but her power is a bit too broken to be interesting. It seems like she just wins unless a deus ex machina stops her. Sure, she technically has some sort of time limit on her power use, but that's so ill defined that it's no better than plot convenience.

All the magical girls need to do is stay out of her dollhouse and the new girl is basically helpless.

last edited at Jan 31, 2020 4:56PM

joined Nov 7, 2017

Wait... She's 14?

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Wait... She's 14?

Standard magical girl age. Pay it no mind.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Wait... She's 14?

Standard magical girl age. Pay it no mind.

Wait.....She's 14?

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

14 years old? Right they are pretty young aren't they. Oh Japan.

last edited at Jan 31, 2020 5:09PM

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

The first tankobon has just 5 chapters + extras, I don't understand why the translator team marked it at 7. Maybe the digital one has more chapters?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The new girl was just playing house : father, mother and daughter.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Also, I don't think I like the new girl. Her design is nice and all, but her power is a bit too broken to be interesting. It seems like she just wins unless a deus ex machina stops her. Sure, she technically has some sort of time limit on her power use, but that's so ill defined that it's no better than plot convenience.

I don't think that's much of an issue in the sense that power levels have never really been a thing in this story. I'm going to guess that her power is meant as a thematic foil to Baiser's; Alice strips away their agency and pushes them into roles that she defines. Whereas Baiser physically restrains them but ultimately pushes them into discovering new things about themselves.

This is all wacky, galaxy-brain media analysis though, so more likely the author just liked the idea and rolled with it lol

Fairy of the Gilded Lilies
joined Jul 27, 2018

14 years old? Right they are pretty young aren't they. Oh Japan.

Maybe it's just me, but it makes sense. After all, people begin to explore their sexuality around that time, and have a good chance of discovering what works for them . I mean I did the same around 14 and just like Utena discovered I was into BDSM. Weird coincidence! XD

Doyoulikemykar2
joined Nov 15, 2019

Im so proud of my daughter becoming a supportive leader for the forces of evil

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I don't know why peoples are surprised she is 14yo, it was said at the start of Ch.2 that she is a middle schooler.

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

Sailor Moon were a bunch of 14-15 year olds too, even though Bunny did flirt with some older men.

Magical OL would be weird.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

Fun fact: Morino Korisu is a pun name that translates to "Baby squirrel of the Forest." She's so freaking adorable <3

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

Vena: Amazing, with the magical girls fully under your thrall we can't beat them eas-

Nero Alice: No, only gay.

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

I don't think that's much of an issue in the sense that power levels have never really been a thing in this story. I'm going to guess that her power is meant as a thematic foil to Baiser's; Alice strips away their agency and pushes them into roles that she defines. Whereas Baiser physically restrains them but ultimately pushes them into discovering new things about themselves.

This is all wacky, galaxy-brain media analysis though, so more likely the author just liked the idea and rolled with it lol

I mean, when you think about it, this all plays into the villain team’s BDSM theme. Baiser’s just a straight up dominatrix, Kiwi’s abilities focus on inflicting pain, and Alice’s focuses on taking control. In a way, Utena’s teammates are just extreme versions of Utena herself.

last edited at Jan 31, 2020 6:50PM

Stupidruby
joined Dec 30, 2017

So, who here plays Frightfurs in "Yu-Gi-Oh!"?

Also, I love Alice's magical girl costume. It's cute.

9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

I'm far too intrigued by this to be healthy.

Amimaidprofile
joined Mar 5, 2019

so, Sayo's super-subbiness prevented her from being mindfucked like the other two?

I mean, when you think about it, this all plays into the villain team’s BDSM theme. Baiser’s just a straight up dominatrix, Kiwi’s abilities focus on inflicting pain, and Alice’s focuses on taking control. In a way, Utena’s teammates are just extreme versions of Utena herself.

You realize this means all 3 girls represent all 3 aspects of the trifecta? Kiwi's the SM (sadomasochism), Baiser's the B&D (bondage and discipline) and Alice is the D/s (dominance and submission)?

last edited at Jan 31, 2020 11:03PM

Screen%20shot%202017-11-22%20at%201.04.04%20pm
joined Nov 18, 2017

Doesn't matter who is on the forces of evil, Azul will always get caught up in their shenanigans.

Screen%20shot%202017-11-22%20at%201.04.04%20pm
joined Nov 18, 2017

IDK if I'd say Utena's teammates are more extreme than Utena, but I definitely get the whole BDSM theme.

joined Mar 5, 2019

Doesn't matter who is on the forces of evil, Azul will always get caught up in their shenanigans.

Honestly, it's so funny to me. She's just trying her hardest, and still gets the brunt of it literally each time. She might miiiight be my second favorite character next to Utena.

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Yay another chapter! And new character! I was bit unsure at first, but that power!. I like how above comments mention the theme and how the trifecta completes it.... things are going to get wild

joined May 7, 2017

This keeps getting better and better, now all we need is Evil Queen so they can momentarily join forces together and have one big gangban... ops character development rather...

To reply you must either login or sign up.