Forum › Whispering You a Love Song discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

luinthoron posted:

Goddammit, guys, jumped the gun and ruined it all...

Yeah, a confession is not a party, is something very delicate between TWO people

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

luinthoron posted:

Yeah, a confession is not a party, is something very delicate between TWO people

That’s why I prefer to see this as a bunch of tropes crashing around—if we were to judge this by the ethics of everyday life, the whole gang is behaving inexcusably badly.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

luinthoron posted:

That’s why I prefer to see this as a bunch of tropes crashing around—if we were to judge this by the ethics of everyday life, the whole gang is behaving inexcusably badly.

Not sure if you're being facetious but that's a little overblown towards the other side imo. Like, yea, it is a very insensitive faux pas she's right to be angry about. But it's also not like the gang's out here kicking puppies or anything, def not on the level of "inexcusably bad".

There is some room between "kind of a shitty thing to do" and "oh my god they might as well be a murderer" xD

last edited at May 21, 2024 4:30PM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

luinthoron posted:

Not sure if you're being facetious but that's a little overblown towards the other side imo. Like, yea, it is a very insensitive faux pas she's right to be angry about. But it's also not like the gang's out here kicking puppies or anything, def not on the level of "inexcusably bad".

There is some room between "kind of a shitty thing to do" and "oh my god they might as well be a murderer" xD

Yeah it's nothing too bad ultimately, and I view fictional media as something that takes place in it's own reality, so the story is still working for me even if it's not necessarily realistic to real life. Though I've seen things in real life that are way more out there than anything in this manga, so my suspension of disbelief is nowhere even close to breaking. I think with all media there will always be things that are realistic to some and unrealistic to others.

last edited at May 21, 2024 7:18PM

Untitled187
joined Mar 30, 2024

When Miki said " You're the worst" and "Idiot" is it really intended For Ayaka or it was just made to seem like it is for her? But if it was meant for Aki wouldn't it create a misunderstanding between Aya-senpai and Miki? Since I have noticed this manga quite have a great amount of miscommunications and misunderstanding. Aya might misunderstand that she is hated by Miki, where his could possibily create more drama between.

Well It might just be me overthinking it.

last edited at May 21, 2024 5:51PM

joined Mar 11, 2020

TVtropes isn't a good website IMO. There's various problems with it. Even just on the surface it makes people view most everything as it's tropes and nothing more, a very cynical outlook where they seek to rip something into pieces while viewing it in the most reductionist manner possible.

the mere fact that they deleted the entire page for MahouAko because people complained about it's genre is enough reason to dislike it imo.

last edited at May 21, 2024 6:30PM

joined Sep 27, 2017

TVtropes isn't a good website IMO. There's various problems with it. Even just on the surface it makes people view most everything as it's tropes and nothing more, a very cynical outlook where they seek to rip something into pieces while viewing it in the most reductionist manner possible.

the mere fact that they deleted the entire page for MahouAko because people complained about it's genre is enough reason to dislike it imo.

Yeah...and from what I know there's media on there that's far more offensive than MahouAko.

joined Mar 11, 2020

Yeah...and from what I know there's media on there that's far more offensive than MahouAko.

you're correct, that's another complaint i've seen about that whole debacle, that they deleted the page for MahouAko, but left up pages for stuff that's just as bad, if not worse lol

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

luinthoron posted:

Now you're being overblown--there are plenty of social-etiquette things that fall into the category of "you just don't do that--full stop" that fall short of kicking puppies or being a murderer.

It's not " kind of a shitty thing to do"--it's something you should not do. And "Oh, we were so excited--we really wanted to see it!" is not a valid excuse.

joined Sep 27, 2017

luinthoron posted:

Now you're being overblown--there are plenty of social-etiquette things that fall into the category of "you just don't do that--full stop" that fall short of kicking puppies or being a murderer.

It's not " kind of a shitty thing to do"--it's something you should not do. And "Oh, we were so excited--we really wanted to see it!" is not a valid excuse.

Sometimes people get a little over excited when cheering on their friends, and trying to celebrate. I mean hey at least they didn't burn down a significant part of California over a gender reveal party, so there's worse celebrations out there lol

Ultimately I think everything will work out, and it shouldn't be the end of the world or anything. Maybe everyone will learn to give some extra space in situations such as this. Just a matter of communication, they're young and they'll be fine I'm sure.

O
joined Jan 12, 2021

She was crying at the last page when she remembered Aki saying she's dating Shiho and wanted to support the girl who confessed to Miki. What do you think this scene is trying to imply?

In my opinion, Miki is upset because Aki decided to date Shiho who hurt her (Aki's) feelings deeply with all the drama we know about. She probably has too many emotions to deal with right now for that reason, which is why she was most likely going to tell Ayaka that she didn't want to start anything yet, Miki said she felt happy about the confession after all.

Miki yelled "You're the worst" not towards Ayaka but Aki instead because Aki said she wanted to support Ayaka (and AyaMiki), which is exactly what Miki would be thinking about when it comes to Aki all this time - wanting to support her. Expect, she may feel convoluted at the thought of "supporting" AkiShiho since Miki is possibly the one character who knows it best about how much Aki has suffered due to living in the same house.

Additionally, because Miki yelled "You're the worst" in front of Ayaka, and she did not say anything to Aki in this chapter, I'm expecting there to be a misunderstanding with Ayaka where she will think it was directed towards her, and Aki will again be unaware about what is happening. Maybe if Miki ends up telling Aki (or someone else like Himari?) about this Shiho issue, then perhaps Shiho would speak with Miki, but that would probably be much later since this is only the start of the drama.

That was my impression.

About this work not feeling realistic: I actually think this story is quite realistic given the context - they are teenagers who wear their feelings on their wrists and are too embarrassed to speak them out loud. I'd say the only unrealistic thing is how the majority of the cast has fallen in love at first sight, but that is the motif of this series after all... the hitomebore.

joined Sep 27, 2017

About this work not feeling realistic: I actually think this story is quite realistic given the context - they are teenagers who wear their feelings on their wrists and are too embarrassed to speak them out loud. I'd say the only unrealistic thing is how the majority of the cast has fallen in love at first sight, but that is the motif of this series after all... the hitomebore.

I agree, and the love at first sight element even feels pretty normal for young people I think

O
joined Jan 12, 2021

I saw some more opinions around such as:
1. Aki meddled with Miki's past relationship which is why she broke up and is upset with Aki and even jealous of her current relationship with Shiho.
2. Miki was upset because the group rushed in during the confession and/or that Aki gets to let "everyone" know about Ayaka's feelings but Miki had to keep Aki's feelings for Yori a secret.
3. Miki thinks Aki is trying to "get rid of her" by helping Ayaka, so that Aki can be with Shiho and give less time to Miki and/or Miki wants more attention from Aki ever since she started dating Shiho.

It's fun to see what everyone thinks, there's so many different interpretations.

The incestious feeling is also a possibility, but I like to think that the mangaka did this on purpose, leaving it open like that and also get the reader to think about incest (which I didn't but a lot of people did, apparently). For the effect, you know.

We don't really know too much about Miki so I'm expecting there to be some chapters where they will show the past, similar to the Shiho chapters that were about Kyou.

And finally, am I right in saying that Aki was part of some drama/angst during this whole manga so far? The start, with the YoriHima arc, it was her hidden feelings for Yori. During the entire Shiho arc, it was her stress from Shiho's actions. In the current AkiShiho arc, it's because of Shiho generally not believing her (I suppose this has ended now?) and Aki dating Shiho even without having romantic feelings. And this new AyaMiki arc, it's Miki being angry at her.

As ironic as it may sound, it feels like Aki is the mangaka's favorite character.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

This whole chapter feels kinda random. Ayaka gets introduced (let me know if I'm wrong and what chapter she is introduced) and is in love with Miki. Miki seems to be in love with her sister, did not see that coming. Lastly, it seems weird that Aki wants to set Miki up with Ayaka right away after just learning about Ayaka's crush on her little sister.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

This whole chapter feels kinda random. Ayaka gets introduced (let me know if I'm wrong and what chapter she is introduced) and is in love with Miki.

You're wrong

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Ayaka also showed up in chapter 38, before the vol. 8 extras came out. Bit of a Chekhov's gun, heh https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/whispering_you_a_love_song_ch38#17

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

I guess some are forgetting she was introduced earlier, along with her crush, which isn't what's new at all. I'm pretty sure that chapter was discussed here too. It has been a while, though. It was this and one other teased relationship if I remember correctly.

last edited at May 22, 2024 7:10AM

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Ayaka also showed up in chapter 38, before the vol. 8 extras came out. Bit of a Chekhov's gun, heh https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/whispering_you_a_love_song_ch38#17

Now what I'm questioning is was this a mistranslation because it says swimming club in ch 38, but the latest chapter, they're obviously in the wind instrument club or something. I remember being confused reading the latest chapter, but just thought I misremembered the swimming club bit xD

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

You're wrong

Yeah I kinda thought I was wrong, thanks for the link btw. Pretty sure I blew past this since it was only an extra.

last edited at May 23, 2024 2:50AM

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

as always shiho ruinning everything, god damnit shiho why u gotta suck so much

joined Feb 11, 2022

Regarding the adaptation: Quality issues aside, it's way too rushed. They'll adapt five chapters (an entire volume, basically) in the next episode (up to Chapter 25), for example.

It's kind of funny, since I originally thought they were going to adapt only Himari and Yori's Arc (with Shiho's introduction as a cliffhanger), then, after the first couple of episodes, up to the bet between Aki and Shiho (which will happen in the next episode), and then up to the Summer Festival (Chapters 31/32). But if they go beyond that point (which seems likely now), I guess they might adapt the whole Arc, which I hope won't happen, as that would be very unsatisfying.

last edited at May 25, 2024 6:31PM

joined Jun 3, 2020

There is still a chance they are simply changing the order of events and will come back to the stuff they skipped later on.

Though even if they do this, it will probably be only at the end. Next episode will cover chapter 25, and the bet happens right after. It would be weird to have Himari and Yori go on a happy date between that and the festival since Yori is meant to be super worried during that time. So it would have to be after that.

Also, assuming the last 4 episodes don't slow down or go back to adapt the skipped stuff and keep adapting half a volume each, the anime would end... in chapter 34. Which would be an awkward cutting point to say the least.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Regarding the adaptation: Quality issues aside, it's way too rushed. They'll adapt five chapters (an entire volume, basically) in the next episode (up to Chapter 25), for example.

It's kind of funny, since I originally thought they were going to adapt only Himari and Yori's Arc (with Shiho's introduction as a cliffhanger), then, after the first couple of episodes, up to the bet between Aki and Shiho (which will happen in the next episode), and then up to the Summer Festival (Chapters 31/32). But if they go beyond that point (which seems likely now), I guess they might adapt the whole Arc, which I hope won't happen, as that would be very unsatisfying.

Yeah I figured they'd really want to get to Shiho and Aki's stuff, since everything picks up from there and a lot of interest comes from that situation. I always thought the anime would be split, 6 episodes on YoriHima and 6 on AkiShiho. I just don't know how they'll handle the ending.

If they do intend to squeeze the entire arc into the last 6, I think the pacing would be a mess unless they have a real creative vision. There's fat they could cut but most of the time series will just skip events with seemingly no real consideration or thought.

last edited at May 25, 2024 8:31PM

joined Feb 11, 2022

There is still a chance they are simply changing the order of events and will come back to the stuff they skipped later on.

Though even if they do this, it will probably be only at the end. Next episode will cover chapter 25, and the bet happens right after. It would be weird to have Himari and Yori go on a happy date between that and the festival since Yori is meant to be super worried during that time. So it would have to be after that.

Their bet takes place in Chapter 22, unless you mean when Shiho made Himari become their manager.

Also, assuming the last 4 episodes don't slow down or go back to adapt the skipped stuff and keep adapting half a volume each, the anime would end... in chapter 34. Which would be an awkward cutting point to say the least.

By their current pace it would be past that mark for sure. Today's episode adapted four chapters and, like I said, the next one will adapt five more.

If they do intend to squeeze the entire arc into the last 6, I think the pacing would be a mess unless they have a real creative vision. There's fat they could cut but most of the time series will just skip events with seemingly no real consideration or thought.

The fact that, despite all the stuggles the studio is having, lately they have been skipping both the OP and the ED is a pretty bad sign regarding this, as it's obvious that they are trying to cram in as much content as possible. Something that, I think, would not be necessary if their intention was to adapt just up to the Summer Festival.

I do hope I'm wrong, of course.

O
joined Jan 12, 2021

There's the question of... would we rather have one season where it ends abruptly and then "never" get a second season to continue the rest of the story just like a lot of other yuri anime, or would we prefer having them rush the adaptation to fit that major key point of the manga (AkiShiho's reconciliation) in this one and only season?

Even if EP12 ends with YoriHima's kiss, there'd still be several unsolved issues at that point. I've been assuming it would end at that scene, but I also think it would be abrupt to end it there. Not like it's the first time with yuri anime, though.

I can't help but compare it to YagaKimi's anime in that regard, if it does end in that fireworks scene.

About EP7: I didn't re-read the manga chapters last week to prepare for the new episode, so I didn't even notice they completely cut Ch. 19. It felt like the flashback scenes were of higher quality than most of the rest - and I'm really used to Shiho's voice now. There were some really beautiful shots in this episode, even though the awkwardness was still around.

The performance at the end was both good and bad, but I think the Laureley/Lorelei song itself was the highlight. It was also cute to hear Yori signing the ED theme which is sang by Himari instead... the VAs of the music didn't even sound too different to me this time. But now I need that Meritocracy song to be officially released so I can listen to it on repeat...

Also, they love that whole orange coloring from the time around the sunset. Since I mentioned YagaMiki above... it also has a lot of orange in it. Almost feels like "orange" is similar to the "aquarium" at times.

To reply you must either login or sign up.