Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Moke ver.) discussion

joined Jul 7, 2020

FWIW we later learn that she couldn't make out most of what she was saying anyway because Adachi was crying and yelling at the same time and not making much sense.

doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose

narratively

last edited at Sep 28, 2022 8:48PM

5%20(1)~2
joined Dec 13, 2019

Its finally here

Edit: oh wow i dont remember adachi doing that in the end

last edited at Sep 28, 2022 9:04PM

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Goddamn, that has to be pretty much the worst self-destruct I have ever seen.
That was the Chernobyl of gay meltdowns.

joined Apr 14, 2022

Bad writing would be not providing reasons, rooted in the characters lived experiences and personalities, for Adachi's breakdown nor Shimamura's response

That is literally what the person you're replying to is claiming, though. I don't agree with them that Adachi's breakdown was out of character (I thought it was very well depicted, actually, as someone who was an extremely dependent and jealous teenager myself), but Shimamura's response doesn't feel very Shimamura to me at all, and that's the point they were making. Clearly you disagree, but you should make your disagreement on that axis; trying to tell them what "bad writing" is when what you wrote actually lines up with exactly what they wrote in different words comes off as not really replying to what they said.

joined May 9, 2017

I just wish there is someone there to hugged Adachi right now.

I don't think she'd let anyone but Shima that close to her, though.

The point being, it would be nice if there was somebody close enough so as to give her a hug and that she would accept it.

The thing is, if that person existed, she probably wouldn't have breakdown in the first place.

Can anyone tell me which volume of the novel are we reading in manga form right now? I'd like to pick it up but I don't really want to start from volume 1.

joined Jan 22, 2015

Bad writing would be not providing reasons, rooted in the characters lived experiences and personalities, for Adachi's breakdown nor Shimamura's response

That is literally what the person you're replying to is claiming, though. I don't agree with them that Adachi's breakdown was out of character (I thought it was very well depicted, actually, as someone who was an extremely dependent and jealous teenager myself), but Shimamura's response doesn't feel very Shimamura to me at all, and that's the point they were making. Clearly you disagree, but you should make your disagreement on that axis; trying to tell them what "bad writing" is when what you wrote actually lines up with exactly what they wrote in different words comes off as not really replying to what they said.

Ah, you are correct. Please bear in mind that I am not a wordsmith of any means. If I was, I'd get paid for it.

Allow me to be more direct. I agree with motormind's definition of bad writing. I strongly disagree with their conclusion that this is a badly written story event. Adachi has been very well portrayed and buildup to her breakdown event began in volume 1. Shimamura's portrayal is lacking in the manga (LN does a far better job), but her actions are very much realistic. How so? Someone she had a mild interest in called her and had an emotional breakdown over the phone. Her response? "I don't currently feel like dealing with the mess you are" (or something along those lines). I dumped a 12y friendship for the same reason. Fact is, some people in this world can't be bothered to help those who are an emotional mess. Too much effort. Does this make me (or Shimamura) a callous bitch? Idk or really care. Shimamura, whom I obviously identify with, is a selfish individual. Such individuals tend to stear clear of "blubbering messes" as dealing with those take a lot of time and effort and often never really get sorted out. There are professionals that specialize in helping those with emotional.. issues? Idk a polite way to say it. Anyways, get help from someone trained and leave us alone.

I will note that we have not yet seen Shimamura's internal dialogue of the current situation. Perspectives matter... I spent 3 years trying to help that friend before jumping ship.

Anyways, I hope I managed to better express my thoughts, upsetting as some may find them. If not, well, at least I tried.

joined Apr 14, 2022

Anyways, I hope I managed to better express my thoughts

I'm glad you elaborated on your perspective, I found this reply a lot more interesting than your first one.

Anyways, get help from someone trained and leave us alone.

I spent 3 years trying to help that friend before jumping ship.

I think this is personally where I found issue with Shimamura's writing, though. It's one thing to get tired of trying to help someone who can't help themselves over a prolonged period of time, but... surely you wouldn't tell somebody their friendship wasn't worth bothering with the first time they came to you as a blubbering mess? I think the world would be a pretty depressing place if we could never seek emotional support from our friends in our time of need, lest we risk losing the friendship, because we didn't immediately seek therapy. That's why I perceive Shimamura to be uncharacteristically callous here. Even though it's certainly in her nature to do whatever's most convenient for her, she also usually does the bare minimum to keep the people around her satisfied too.

last edited at Sep 28, 2022 11:14PM

03fca6214046e15b1cbd7ed7cd767b1a
joined May 26, 2020

Adachi I love you and all but pls stop you're making me cringe, not the bad type of cringe but the "I've been there, I've felt that, and I've done that so please stop reminding me of it" type cringe

Screenshot%2006-15-2022%2021.27.00
joined Mar 25, 2021

EYY THE ADACHIPASTA!

joined Sep 28, 2022

For anyone that wonder why Shimamura sound quite cold in the end, some says that Adachi ranting are quite incomprehensible because of she was crying. The blue board usually showed this image
https://files.catbox.moe/4h7zg0.png
However, don't know if it true or not, My Nihongo skill are not good enough.

joined Aug 29, 2016

For anyone that wonder why Shimamura sound quite cold in the end, some says that Adachi ranting are quite incomprehensible because of she was crying. The blue board usually showed this image
https://files.catbox.moe/4h7zg0.png
However, don't know if it true or not, My Nihongo skill are not good enough.

Well, the light novel translation came out in 2020 (you can see it here on Dynasty Scans as well)

Just like
"A Yuri Story About a Girl Who Insists "It's Impossible for Two Girls to Get Together" Completely Falling Within 100 Days", you can find the unprofessional translation https://meatbuntranslation.blogspot.com/2020/09/onna-doushi-to-ka-arienai-deshou-to.html
and
There's No Way I Can Have a Lover! *Or Maybe There Is!? found by the same translator https://meatbuntranslation.blogspot.com/2020/09/watashi-ga-koibito-ni-nareru-wakenaijan.html

I find that the reactions by those who only follow the anime which is usually later than the manga, or only follow the manga which is usually later than the light novel, to be interesting having known what occurs next. I truly was waiting for this chapter and the next two chapters to be drawn and illustrated because I only had text to go off of, like a normal book. But I wanted to see what these artists could do with the plot shown in the manga side of things.

I'd have to say I am quite glad and relieved that they kept this rant in here. The rant is at least a few pages long in the novel and it was clearly called for. Same way how Kurokawa had a blow up in "Useless Princess" or "Failed Princesses" and the translator even said "if you think this was out of character, this was a long time coming". I'd say the same applies here. It is kind of cut short, the development in the manga from the LN.

But even so, Adachi's codependency and obsession with Shimamura, of course after several normal months of just playing in the gym playing tennis like normal buddies when she slowly started to change, clearly is because Adachi does not care about people that don't interest her. There's no need for others. It's a lot of work and she is fine with being on her own. . . until Shimamura. And then for Shimamura, it is depicted well in the anime the actual analyzation and evaluation of her relationships (with the oceanic metaphors of drowning and such) and how she knows she is very . . . hmm unbothered by people's actions. So much so we never figure out if this is truly set in a normal reality because she barely gives the clearly weird but like established supernatural "alien" girl Yashiro that remains a mystery like no attention. Shimamura doesn't invest much time to her except to treat her like a little kid like her sister or the "family pet" haha. She knows that she actually does engage with people but they also can be quite boring. And there's sometimes no need to really be with the group where she literally calls them "Pancho, Sancho and Delos" because she doesn't care for their real names. But truly throughout the anime and manga alike, both reflect deeply about themselves showing a great deal of self awareness but also lack of awareness or lack of ability to be around others. This is where they both evolve together. Why you see Adachi go backwards and Shimamura here seems to be static. This would've been a response she would've given to maybe Tarumi (who clearly also tries just as hard as Adachi to get to know Shimamura).

Honestly, I have always related to Adachi, especially this moment (except the full blown craziness. . . although I did something like this in a less intense way haha) because of my one-sided love with my straight best friend. Because despite me being more of a pain than anyone else or any other friends she has, she still puts in effort. Almost like because it feels like she has already put so much effort in to hanging with Adachi as her current high-school self, so why stop now? This of course mirroring Shimamura having had a natural "strong" relationship from childhood burn out over time and then having to intentionally choose to reignite this dead flame as her current high-school self, which she thinks is vastly different than her younger self that Tarumi knew. And so the more problematic or weird that Adachi gets, the more she just goes along with it, indirectly accepting and enabling Adachi and her increasing requests. Tarumi's requests also grow sightly, but we see more resistance and uncertainty about whether to keep hanging out with Tarumi. Why are the two different? Specifically because she can't see anything past platonic, this is a realistic portrayal of a high school girl trying to figure out how to navigate different kinds of relationships in her life. One being just a little slightly different than the other but still FOILS.
But even at this moment, clearly Shimamura was like showing colors she usually doesn't show Adachi, but has done with others. But Adachi also showed colors that usually are hidden or only slightly leaking out throughout the friendship. Shimamura doesn't initiate much, no. But she always anticipates Adachi more so than Tarumi. And Tarumi isn't probelmatic at all. You don't see too many character flaws. That's why she's a side character. However, the point is that Adachi and Shimamura both have extreme character flaws and it's part of this plot. It's especially called for by this point because of the over a year now of seeing their relationship and friendship grow. Useless Princess. . . pretty sure that was in the span of like . . . a few months.

Okay thank you for coming to my Ted Talk lol.

last edited at Sep 29, 2022 12:47AM

7c3371fc-1218-42e3-9009-8520d7f626fa
joined Sep 15, 2020

It might just be me but this was the point of the light novel when I started thinking, maybe these two would just be better off as friends

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

Not gonna lie, I would love to get that type of serial killer love confession.
That is a joke.

This. Except not a joke.

joined Jun 21, 2021

it sounds like the manga doesn't really showcase Shima's inner dialog nearly as much as the Light Novel does.

Of course it doesn’t, inner thoughts are usually the main things cut when making adaptations of books. I’ve never read a book that’s had adaptions been that comics or shows or movies and felt like any of the convey as much raw information about the characters the same way the books do

Tbhdachi2
joined May 28, 2022

Can anyone tell me which volume of the novel are we reading in manga form right now? I'd like to pick it up but I don't really want to start from volume 1.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/adachi_and_shimamura_novel_ch04_4#1
(The breakdown is worth rereading in the LN, it is a legendary 7 pages long)

Also, wow the latest chapter really ruined Adachi by making her a iphone user. absolutely disgusting. I can never read this with the same amount of satisfaction again. And everyone iphone ever deserves to be yelled at like that.

last edited at Sep 29, 2022 5:38AM

joined Sep 29, 2022

So about adachi breakdown in this chapter it was very depressing and the reason for it is Adachi can't properly control her emotion there's no one to console her and taught her how to do so And for shima her attitude isn't wrong "IF I WERE HER I WOULD SAY IT TOO" the reason for that is Shima is someone who can't express her emotion and can't understand people relationship so thats result in her being very slow when it come to people If shima able to express her emotion and understand other people alittle more she wouldn't said something like that at all but she can't so she just think it was a pain and said it out loud which make Adachi breakdown even worst I know this would happen just from their personalities alone this is such a hard read It really is awkward story in good ways tho

I felt the same, I'm having trouble reading those dialogs, not because they are long but because it is painful, I can't man, I don't know what to do with my life after reading this, I think I will continue reading the LN from where I left it off just to see what will happen next cause I really can't handle what just happened. I fear for Adachi. :'(

joined Apr 26, 2022

Gimmie my adachi if you don't want her. This breaks my heart since I see myself in her.

last edited at Sep 29, 2022 10:03AM

joined Apr 26, 2022

Oh wow, this cut a lot of stuff. I'll miss all that.

Shimamura is gayer though, so I guess not all is bad.

What do you mean gayer?

joined Sep 23, 2022

Gimmie my adachi if you don't want her. This breaks my heart since I see myself in her.

joined Sep 23, 2022

Same

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

That makes it even worse. For all Shimamura knows Adachi could have been upset because something bad happened to her. Just think of talking to someone on the phone, and crying emotionally because your mom was involved in a severe car crash, and the person on the other side just goes "what a pain!" and hangs up. Really, I maintain that it is still not very Shimamura-esque to do that, and she could at least have Adachi calm down to explain what is going on.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

That makes it even worse. For all Shimamura knows Adachi could have been upset because something bad happened to her. Just think of talking to someone on the phone, and crying emotionally because your mom was involved in a severe car crash, and the person on the other side just goes "what a pain!" and hangs up. Really, I maintain that it is still not very Shimamura-esque to do that, and she could at least have Adachi calm down to explain what is going on.

I feel those who say this was very out of character for Shimamura are forgetting a very important trait about her:

Even if she's started to change a little since meeting Adachi, Shimamura is still notoriously apathetic about maintaining relationship and can barely be arsed to put a bare minimum of effort into them.
She herself even wonders why she's putting up with Adachi's weirdness several times, but just kinda shrugs it off bc it's to troublesome too think harder/deeper about it.

So with that in mind I find it perfectly in character for her to not feel like dealing with a hysteric, blubbering Adachi in that moment.

last edited at Sep 29, 2022 2:56PM

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

So with that in mind I find it perfectly in character for her to not feel like dealing with a hysteric, blubbering Adachi in that moment.

If you can't be bothered when a friend is clearly in pain then you're not much of a friend. So realistically things would be pretty much over at this point, and rightfully so.

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

If you can't be bothered when a friend is clearly in pain then you're not much of a friend. So realistically things would be pretty much over at this point, and rightfully so.

Yes you've figured it out, bravo, this is two people who are not exactly in an healthy friendship. Adachi is obsessive, Shimamura doesn't care about much. It's not like Adachi has the mental to be like "well Shimamura doesn't seem to care about me, I should stop having her in my life" if she did she wouldn't have been a crying mess on the phone in the first place.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Well yea, it was a dick move on her part for sure, never said it wasn't. Not the point I was making though

To reply you must either login or sign up.