Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Moke ver.) discussion

TheDudeThatExists
Screenshot_20200407_211356
joined Feb 21, 2020

What an absolute whiplash of a chapter compared to the rest of the manga lol. Definitely did the legendary "7 page Adachi Breakdown" justice in my opinion (the atmosphere of the chapter really captured the despair and agony well.
That scene had me on the edge of my seat while reading through the whole, well, monologue and kept me thinking about it and Adachi for some days. One of the highlights of the whole story in my opinion. Props to Moke for executing it really well!

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

it sounds like the manga doesn't really showcase Shima's inner dialog nearly as much as the Light Novel does.

Of course it doesn’t, inner thoughts are usually the main things cut when making adaptations of books. I’ve never read a book that’s had adaptions been that comics or shows or movies and felt like any of the convey as much raw information about the characters the same way the books do

A shame because her inner dialog is super important to Shima's character, particularly when she's interacting with other characters.

last edited at Sep 29, 2022 6:27PM

joined Jan 22, 2015

Anyways, I hope I managed to better express my thoughts

I'm glad you elaborated on your perspective, I found this reply a lot more interesting than your first one.

Anyways, get help from someone trained and leave us alone.

I spent 3 years trying to help that friend before jumping ship.

I think this is personally where I found issue with Shimamura's writing, though. It's one thing to get tired of trying to help someone who can't help themselves over a prolonged period of time, but... surely you wouldn't tell somebody their friendship wasn't worth bothering with the first time they came to you as a blubbering mess? I think the world would be a pretty depressing place if we could never seek emotional support from our friends in our time of need, lest we risk losing the friendship, because we didn't immediately seek therapy. That's why I perceive Shimamura to be uncharacteristically callous here. Even though it's certainly in her nature to do whatever's most convenient for her, she also usually does the bare minimum to keep the people around her satisfied too.

Others here have addressed Shimamura's apathetic personality, and I agree with them, so I'll skip reiterating what's been said on that topic.

Personally, I'd say the world is full of supportive people. I certainly was at the start. My current callous attitude stems from a rather depressing experience trying to support a friend. My "seek therapy not me" belief is because I failed. I knew my friend from the age of 11 and was friends from the age of 14. All those years together, and I failed.

Alright, enough about my own emotional baggage. Regarding Adachi and Shimamura, they haven't known each other that long, and are certainly not "close". Thus far, all attempts to close the distance have been made by Adachi, and frankly, she is a blundering fool at this, and there are reasons for that. All this, coupled with Shimamura's apathetic personality, is what drove the "you're a pain" response.

Screenshot%202022-05-05%20at%2020.52.05%20copy
joined Sep 23, 2021

thread is like exactly half "haha having friends is gay anyway" and half "i. am. adachi." and that's probably ok

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Never go full Adachi

TheDudeThatExists
Screenshot_20200407_211356
joined Feb 21, 2020

Never go full Adachi

Very important and true statement.
But Adachi is still epic

joined Apr 26, 2022

Why

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

On this bright side this means we're almost to the point they officially become a couple! Bit longer till Shima realizes she loves Adachi too though

Optimized-tonari_no_robot
joined Aug 24, 2015

Huh, like. I knew things would have to boil over at some point, but wow that was some yandere level meltdown there Adachi.

I don't think I can ship these two even remotely anymore yiiiikes

joined Jan 21, 2020

Imma be real, what shima did this chapter is literally enough to give someone (especially in as vulnurable a state as adachi is in rn) long term problems. Like thats the type of stuff you reference to your therapist 5 years later in regards to why you have deep-rooted trust issues and cant open up to any1. And especially with the added context that most of what she said wasnt even very intelligibel, it makes shima look even worse because, as others have pointed out, she could be upset about something different aswell. So yea, even tho shima has been thus far displayed as a somewhat callous and reserved person, i dont think giving her friend borderline trauma is in character for her.

Img_20190107_054630
joined Jan 26, 2019

I'm honestly surprised to see so many people side with Adachi having a full blown meltdown over Shimamura hanging out with an other friend. Honestly through the entire story, Adachi possesiveness and the entire one sidedness of their relationship creep me out.

joined Jan 4, 2021

DÍSELO SHIMAMURAA

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

I'm honestly surprised to see so many people side with Adachi having a full blown meltdown over Shimamura hanging out with an other friend. Honestly through the entire story, Adachi possesiveness and the entire one sidedness of their relationship creep me out.

I wouldn't really say it's "over shimamura hanging out with someone else" alone, more of a straw broke the camels back situation. Granted, I don't really think it's Shimamura's fault that it happened, but that stuff has been building up in Adachi for a good while.

I still see both character's situation, been there done that with both the meltdown and telling someone else to basically fuck off and the discussion on this thread has been fun to read so far with how split the opinions are on kinda who's "right or wrong".

last edited at Oct 1, 2022 3:06PM

joined Sep 23, 2022

Amazing

joined Sep 23, 2022

Amazing

joined Sep 23, 2022

Amazing

joined Sep 23, 2022

Amazing

joined Apr 14, 2022

I don't think people are "siding" with her, exactly. At least, my problem with this scene is that I think Shimamura is acting out-of-character. It's some good hurting otherwise.

But also, it hardly needs to be said that Adachi's wrong; Adachi herself knows she's in the wrong and says as much. And while they're both in the wrong, there's a pretty severe disparity in how their actions affect the other. Adachi is merely annoying Shimamura with her breakdown, while Shimamura's ice cold response is destroying Adachi emotionally. I think it's natural people will have more sympathy for Adachi here.

last edited at Oct 2, 2022 3:31AM

Polish_20220813_091412010%20(2)%20(1)
joined Oct 17, 2021

4 PAGE SHIMAMURA BEATDOWN!! WRYY!!
Well... if I had a friend like that, I too would tell em off by saying calm yourself down first and we'll talk later. Shima's response was really unjustified though.

Not siding with Ada. It's about being a decent fucking person by not telling people that are clearly having a mental breakdown "a pain". Not to mention it was Adachi's lowest point. There's a lot of reasons to not care about a mf, but there's no reason to be an asshole.

Polish_20220813_091412010%20(2)%20(1)
joined Oct 17, 2021

I don't think people are "siding" with her, exactly. At least, my problem with this scene is that I think Shimamura is acting out-of-character. It's some good hurting otherwise.

I don't think Shima is out of character, honestly. She's the only one that I felt has little to no connection to the reader. She's portrayed as this "oneechan" type of girl, kind of caring but a bit sus. She rarely gives her piece of mind. Or maybe I'm a dumbass because I don't read the LN.

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

Didn't Shima later come to actually regret what she said and wished that she had just asked Adachi to repeat herself?

joined May 9, 2017

it sounds like the manga doesn't really showcase Shima's inner dialog nearly as much as the Light Novel does.

Of course it doesn’t, inner thoughts are usually the main things cut when making adaptations of books. I’ve never read a book that’s had adaptions been that comics or shows or movies and felt like any of the convey as much raw information about the characters the same way the books do

A shame because her inner dialog is super important to Shima's character, particularly when she's interacting with other characters.

It's definitely doable. The manga adaptation of Urasekai picnic is doing it very well with Sorawo's inner thoughts. The "issue" in that case is that the manga is so faithful, it's taking forever (8 volumes of the manga cover 2 volumes of the LN). While it's not a 100% the same as reading the novel, it is as close as it can be in a manga adaptation.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

This manga has become "Adachi VS Shimamura" with all the split opinions.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

This manga has become "Adachi VS Shimamura" with all the split opinions.

It's still so early in the story that it feels pretty pointless to have any sort of a hard opinion on the characters at that stage. They do evolve quite a bit by the time you get to the most recent novel.

To reply you must either login or sign up.