Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

So, to make their relationship works, who needs to change, Adachi or Shimamura?

joined Oct 9, 2019

I'm shocked. I laughed out loud while reading the rant because I was in such disbelief and discomfort, but after thinking about it for awhile it, it makes sense. It will be interesting to see how the relationship plays out.

last edited at Jan 28, 2020 12:10AM

joined Jan 25, 2017

Both? Adachi could obviously stand to not have her whole entire mental fabric be so dependent on one single fallible person, but at the same time it's not really fair for Shimamura not to even attempt to match the same level of emotional investment that other people place in her - Taru, Adachi, or anyone else for that matter.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

'Read ch 4 like 3x and damn... Each reading was more painful than the last one. 'Been jealous before but I wasn't dissolved into a puddle of an incoherent, messy, babbling. I guess it's a different world for teenagers-- saddest part for me was there was no empathizing adult to comfort Adachi, no Rei Koito or even Mamiko Oumae. She was so alone having to deal with negative emotions.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

That was well written. As this batch started i was like isn't this a bit too much? Everything begins and ends with Shimamura?

Ah, poor Adachi. I have no idea how you fix what's wrong with you but best of luck. Seems your closest human connection may not be equipped with what it would takes to help. Or just not the type to. but that's how it is sometimes. Or maybe Shima will surprise us. I honestly have idea where this is going but im intrigued.

Might be the end of my lovely-fluffy-introspevtive--friendship-y-that-might-be-more thing though. Will have to find another at some point.

Also wondering if the blue particles the alien kid emits like some kind of surpessant to make people "ask fewer questions" about them

Maybe this was in the last bonus story. I only skimmed it.

Original
joined Jan 28, 2020

Sweet Jesus on a pogo stick!

Let's just say that if anyone made a call like that to me, I'd would file for a restraint order and tell them to stay the fuck away from me for good.

HAHAHA, agree with you, even though I'm such a person to make a phone call being all weird.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Adachi was a real creep this chapter (4). But knowing Shimamura, after hearing all that, I think she's on her way to her home to comfort her. I would be broken hearted after hearing the "do you hate me like my mom?"

She has a good trait, which is not finding stuff strange but try to understand the meaning, feelings and thoughts of those around her.

last edited at Jan 28, 2020 6:35PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

^
I wonder if it'll be that quick. I'm sure Shimamura will be spurred to think long and hard about Adachi's words, but acting on them to accept Adachi won't be easy for her since it would require her to stop living life the way she does, keeping safe distance from others. And that is, even if Shimamura chooses not to interpret Adachi's confession as romantic, which is another can of worms she'd have to deal with otherwise.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I mean, Chapter 4 is called Adachi Revival so they will probably have a long talk about that phonecall.

last edited at Jan 28, 2020 7:04PM

joined Mar 5, 2019

Yes.

joined Mar 5, 2019

'Read ch 4 like 3x and damn... Each reading was more painful than the last one. 'Been jealous before but I wasn't dissolved into a puddle of an incoherent, messy, babbling. I guess it's a different world for teenagers-- saddest part for me was there was no empathizing adult to comfort Adachi, no Rei Koito or even Mamiko Oumae. She was so alone having to deal with negative emotions.

I have. To be fair, my romantic situation was a bigger mess than this one, but my Shimamura is still acting unkind, so I can tell you this shit never works, and is just fullblown a meltdown. When she said she could've went on forever, she wasn't kidding.

joined Mar 5, 2019

Tarumi's affection is so different from Adachi's. She is not possessive, and seems to really want Shimamura to be happy. She is the safest choice, not too bothersome. Knowing Shimamura's personality, it was natural to believe that she'd choose her over Adachi as the latter is too high maintenance. But we all know that she will go for Adachi so I'm really excited to see why and how it happened.

Thanks again team for this. Looking forward to next chapter hundred times than usual. So wanna see how their relationship will be after this.

In fairness, we only barely know Tarumi compared to Adachi, so saying she's clearly the healthier option might be tempting fate a bit, lol.

But we KNOW Adachi and the way she is now, definitely not the healthier option. Lol.

I thought about that too, like Tarumi seems like the way better option right now in terms of emotional stability. And if Shimamura does end up choosing Adachi, how would that even come to be and what would the story say that says about Shimamura? The emotionally insecure and emotionally distant pairing is a pretty common real-life dynamic and it'll be interesting how it plays out here.

I'm sure though that Tarumi stands no chance. And I believe that she's actually not that different from Adachi. She has the same manner of fishing for compliments/comments, the same barely restrained jealousy at Shimamura's sister and another unknown person tagging along, the same randomly asking Shimamura to do weird shit like sit in the sun for three hours to get a portrait painted. She's not really any "healthier" of an option.

Maybe we need a 3rd girl for Shimamura, a normal one. Hahaha Why do our main girl always attracts autists and weird ones?

Hey. I'm actually autistic, and I've gone through something like this. Maybe don't use that term with a cruel undertone, empathy should still be used even if you don't fully understand something.

joined Mar 5, 2019

I'm glad the novel continued staying true to both characters and their damning imperfections. Adachi has no sense of self-regulation and Shimamura just can't be bothered with anything bothersome. They're such huge jerks to each other right now. Not intentionally, but what a beautiful clash of human fallibility.

This.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Tarumi's affection is so different from Adachi's. She is not possessive, and seems to really want Shimamura to be happy. She is the safest choice, not too bothersome. Knowing Shimamura's personality, it was natural to believe that she'd choose her over Adachi as the latter is too high maintenance. But we all know that she will go for Adachi so I'm really excited to see why and how it happened.

Thanks again team for this. Looking forward to next chapter hundred times than usual. So wanna see how their relationship will be after this.

In fairness, we only barely know Tarumi compared to Adachi, so saying she's clearly the healthier option might be tempting fate a bit, lol.

But we KNOW Adachi and the way she is now, definitely not the healthier option. Lol.

I thought about that too, like Tarumi seems like the way better option right now in terms of emotional stability. And if Shimamura does end up choosing Adachi, how would that even come to be and what would the story say that says about Shimamura? The emotionally insecure and emotionally distant pairing is a pretty common real-life dynamic and it'll be interesting how it plays out here.

I'm sure though that Tarumi stands no chance. And I believe that she's actually not that different from Adachi. She has the same manner of fishing for compliments/comments, the same barely restrained jealousy at Shimamura's sister and another unknown person tagging along, the same randomly asking Shimamura to do weird shit like sit in the sun for three hours to get a portrait painted. She's not really any "healthier" of an option.

Maybe we need a 3rd girl for Shimamura, a normal one. Hahaha Why do our main girl always attracts autists and weird ones?

Hey. I'm actually autistic, and I've gone through something like this. Maybe don't use that term with a cruel undertone, empathy should still be used even if you don't fully understand something.

I think it mean the difficulty with socials interactions and communication as Tarumi and Adachi as shown when they're nearby Shimamura.

joined Mar 5, 2019

I think it mean the difficulty with socials interactions and communication as Tarumi and Adachi as shown when they're nearby Shimamura.

I'll wait for clarification by the actual person.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

I'll wait for clarification by the actual person.

Just stating the fact that Adachi is weird, not normal and that Tarumi can be somewhat the same. Shimamura seems like a magnet for those type of girls so it is hard to say who is the better choice. No insults or anything intended. Up to you how you want to interpret it but as mentioned in my original post, I do feel bad for Adachi. She was hurt but I can also understand Shimamura's reaction as she is not obliged to tolerate Adachi's behaviour.

joined Mar 5, 2019

Just stating the fact that Adachi is weird, not normal and that Tarumi can be somewhat the same. Shimamura seems like a magnet for those type of girls so it is hard to say who is the better choice. No insults or anything intended. Up to you how you want to interpret it but as mentioned in my original post, I do feel bad for Adachi. She was hurt but I can also understand Shimamura's reaction as she is not obliged to tolerate Adachi's behaviour.

Can you please refrain from using autistic as a catch all for perceived weirdness in the future? It hurts. That being said, Adachi could actually be autistic. She's atypical in her thought processes, and inability to connect well with her environment, I'll give you that.

last edited at Jan 28, 2020 9:56PM

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Thinking about it some more, and the fact that the story does in fact continue, (why was my other comment so fatalistic?) I guess shima may think this friendship is worth trying to salvage. Maybe she will pass Addachi's outburst as her just leaving addolecence behind and bring a teenager on general.

As for her mom, there could be more going on but it didn't seem like she hated her daughter. Shima even tried to get her to interact with Addaci more.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

as she is not obliged to tolerate Adachi's behaviour.

She don't have to. Yes she could be more aware of Adachi overall attitude toward her but that doesn't mean she is at fault for what happen at the festival. For Shimamura, Tarumi is just a friend she had lost contact with and want to rebuild their friendship so getting yell at for that is clearly annoying. Plus the "don't want to get bother" attitude of Shimamura, the reaction of Shima was fully expected.

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

Can you please refrain from using autistic as a catch all for perceived weirdness in the future? It hurts. That being said, Adachi could actually be autistic. She's atypical in her thought processes, and inability to connect well with her environment, I'll give you that.

I said Adachi is autistic AND weird. Not sure where do you get all the negativity but sure.

last edited at Jan 28, 2020 10:29PM

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

as she is not obliged to tolerate Adachi's behaviour.

She don't have to. Yes she could be more aware of Adachi overall attitude toward her but that doesn't mean she is at fault for what happen at the festival. For Shimamura, Tarumi is just a friend she had lost contact with and want to rebuild their friendship so getting yell at for that is clearly annoying. Plus the "don't want to get bother" attitude of Shimamura, the reaction of Shima was fully expected.

Totally agree.

joined Mar 5, 2019

I said Adachi is autistic AND weird. Not sure where do you get all the negativity but sure.

Thank you.

joined Mar 30, 2016

I think it’s possible Adachi has multiple personality disorder. In the beginning of the novel she was calm towards Adachi. It seems as time has gone on Adachi has became more attached to Shimamira. I’m guessing Adachi seeing Shimamira with that girl at the festival caused some sort of psychotic break.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I think it’s possible Adachi has multiple personality disorder. In the beginning of the novel she was calm towards Adachi. It seems as time has gone on Adachi has became more attached to Shimamira. I’m guessing Adachi seeing Shimamira with that girl at the festival caused some sort of psychotic break.

Personally I really don't think it's necessary to pathologize Adachi. All characters in this series are slight exaggerations (or perhaps not even that) of personalities certain types of people will have. Their interactions become even more illuminating and polarized as a result. And Adachi and Shimamura are like textbook examples of people who are anxious/insecure and distant respectively, which is a notorious combo for furthering each party's inherent tendencies to draw closer/move further away.

Although you know, on the topic of disorders and personality changes, it has been said that love is a disease.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Both girls suffer from their own versions of social awkwardness. They're only 16ish. Of course they're gonna act weird, at that age all kinds of stuff is weird and new. Especially for Adachi, who has been shown to be especially introverted and in her own head in school and at home; going from Forever Alone to suddenly finding someone who matters, even without the implications of a lesbian awakening, is weird and strange and stressful, especially because she's so secluded and literally has nobody she can talk to about it. It's unfortunate that the person in question happens to be someone who would rather take the easy road to everything, which unfortunately also means she is both willfully ignorant as well as genuinely oblivious due to her disinterest in the world at large. I think its a bit much to try to pin any sort of mental illness on either character. They're just weird teenagers like all teens.

To reply you must either login or sign up.