Forum › All of Humanity is Yuri Except For Me discussion

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

^ It’s the opposite of the “Butterfly Effect” (where a butterfly flaps its wings and thereby changes the world in some profound way)—some fundamental aspect of society changes, but everything looks exactly the same except for that one thing.

Well if you put it like that it does appear rather fantastical.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

When your species survival is on the line, surprisingly people stop caring about the little things and pump funds into the crazy ideas.

I'd like to believe this is true, but the last few years have made me pretty cynical on this specific topic.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

When your species survival is on the line, surprisingly people stop caring about the little things and pump funds into the crazy ideas.

I'd like to believe this is true, but the last few years have made me pretty cynical on this specific topic.

It might be a rather macabre example, but take the Manhatten project for one. The fear of the world that the Nazis might develop nuclear weapons first was so extreme that it could be called a serious threat to humanity's survival for some. Lo and behold scientists from all across the globe suddenly managed to develop a nuclear bomb in record time. All it took was the pressure of nuclear winter and unlimited funding.

The solutions might not always be as fun as this manga's alternate reality, probably much bleaker. But humanity will survive either way.

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 2:49PM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Mhm, if this is alluding to climate change, then the main difference is that it's seemingly far away. If you told people "in 60 years all men will have died out if we don't start doing things now" they wouldn't do anything either.

But the closer you get to the actual crisis the more likely we are to do something about it ^^; Planning long ahead is unfortunately not a strength of current human society.

1523068069413s
joined Jun 2, 2017

The mc was gay all the time but in her world she was dating with a guy because it was "normal"... maybe...

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

mmmmm

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Mhm, if this is alluding to climate change, then the main difference is that it's seemingly far away. If you told people "in 60 years all men will have died out if we don't start doing things now" they wouldn't do anything either.

But the closer you get to the actual crisis the more likely we are to do something about it ^^; Planning long ahead is unfortunately not a strength of current human society.

The problem is that it's a question of if we don't do something -right now-, then in 60 years.... The consequences are far away, but the urgency of the solution is most definitely not.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I dunno, me overhearing one of my siblings saying, “I want to return to my own world!” would be called “Tuesday.”

KittyCatOmaniac
E19418efd5cf90129f366e240e5156b3
joined Sep 12, 2014

I came here to read people's reactions to yandere imouto, but everyone's busy discussing logic n' shit :(

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

The little sister is kinda scary, yeah.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Ya'll don't know what you're talking about. Yandere imoutos are the best things ever.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Ya'll don't know what you're talking about. Yandere imoutos are the best things ever.

Until they start stabbing people in their sleep.

Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

Ah, the classic 1, 2 combo: Calling her by her first name and then shoving your boobs on her face. That ought to make her listen.
That yandere imouto, tho. Makes me wonder about the little bro version...

Lilium
joined Aug 29, 2018

I think my parallel universe friend is a lesbian.
She gets embarrassed when I call her by her first name and shove my boobs in her face.
She asks me to go to the aquarium so that we can exchange informations. Publicly! Geez Lily, people will think we're going out!
She gets jealous when I mention I'm seeing someone else.
She even asked me out as a prank once. What a drama queen!
But since I go along with it and ask her to take care of me, I suppose it kinda makes me a lesbian too...

^ It’s the opposite of the “Butterfly Effect” (where a butterfly flaps its wings and thereby changes the world in some profound way)—some fundamental aspect of society changes, but everything looks exactly the same except for that one thing.

Well we don't know how their multiverse works exactly. It could simply be a world close enough to our own to make jumping possible or easier. There could be many, many possibilities for a world where men died out, and this one just happens to be very similar to the one we inhabit.

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 10:30PM

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

Kazami is going to get embarrassed being called by her first name and run away again. Who wants to bet with me?

I’m glad no one bet me.

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 10:45PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well we don't know how their multiverse works exactly. It could simply be a world close enough to our own to make jumping possible or easier. There could be many, many possibilities for a world where men died out, and this one just happens to be very similar to the one we inhabit.

I'm not talking about quantum mechanics, I'm talking about storytelling. Sure, if all possible worlds exist, there exists one that started out differently than our own, then converged to resemble ours because men died out.

But then there's the possibility of an author who wanted "a world just like ours only no men" without thinking any further about it. And I know where I'd put my money.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

If straight women were using. iPC cells to reproduce, why would they bother with dating and marriage, at all. They would probably just band together and raise their children sister wives style.

That's a completely different topic. You just switched from "its not feasible" to "but what are the repercussions for society".
It's quite obvious that after 90 years without men (and women not losing their sex drives unsurprisingly) they would reform culturally into homo-normality. If there are no mates of the opposite sex, the brain's need for emotional and sexual stability will eventually take over preferences. And for the first following generation that might still be an issue, but humans adapt fast. Grandchildren that never knew what a man was will already see dating girls as normal. It does help that scientifically speaking, women have a far larger likelihood for bi-sexuality. If bisexuals and lesbians get to lead more healthy lives (because they don't live with the stress of having no mate) and get to have children (because they have a partner for iPS treatment) those traits will be passed on and normalize them even more.

First I didn't say It's totally unfeasible. I said it would be a logistical nightmare. Not to mention the moral and ethical of putting reproduction in the hands of institutions. Do you want the same people, sitting on AIDS medication, while the deisease runs rampant in Africa, in charge your reproductive ability.

Americans are big at keeping the government out of our personal lives even if It's for our own good. (Just ask the anti-vaxxers). So putting the government in charge would not work at least not here.

iPS cell tech would also raise the specter of designer babies, and the rich being able to pay for the kind of babies they want, while the poor get dregs, or maybe not able to reproduce at all.

As for the my argument about straight women, dating, and marriage. Your right sex wouldn't go away. It just wouldn't be needed for reproduction, neither would the pair bond. Women would be free to raise their children anyway the feel comfortable. Some might pair up. Some might group together, some might go it alone. With the sudden lose of men, society would go through rapid evolution, like life does after a mass extinction event.

My idea of genetically modifying women, so they could reproduce themselves, doesn't make much sense either, but it would at least keep the significance of sex, and the pair bond.

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 11:29PM

joined Nov 27, 2017

Babe, listen. The other you deliberately swapped places because she's the straight one and you really should just stay here. You have a hot smart girlfriend in this world.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

I'm not talking about quantum mechanics, I'm talking about storytelling. Sure, if all possible worlds exist, there exists one that started out differently than our own, then converged to resemble ours because men died out.

But then there's the possibility of an author who wanted "a world just like ours only no men" without thinking any further about it. And I know where I'd put my money.

The problem is for the author to tell the story they want to tell they need to have a world identical to our own even down to the existence of individual people and the details of their day to day lives. sans the male gender existing. No matter how you go about it a set up like that is going to require some serious hand waving and suspension of disbelief to make it happen. The author went the soft science fiction route instead of the fantasy magic route, but either path requires some pretty shaky foundation work in order to create the story's setting. Sometimes you just have to roll your eyes once and then move on with your suspension of disbelief.

I have yet to see a science fiction story involving parallel dimension hopping that is even remotely plausible when you break them down and really think about it. For instance if the author instead simply decided to hand wave away this universe being all female from the beginning and then converging towards being the exact same as our own except without men that has even more problems with it that the idea that this was a more recent divergence in the timelines. Basically the further back in the timeline you go and the larger the changes you make the larger the discrepancies you will find between the two worlds in the present.

To put it simply, a world where life evolved to be asexual rather than sexually dimorphic would be so fundamentally different that it would preclude the possibility of the two worlds developing convergent timelines without outside pressures forcing them to do so. For instance it would require the presence and interference of Gods or God like reality manipulating beings.

Anyway, I seem to have gone down another rabbit hole right after stating that sometimes you just have to look the other way and grant the author a freebie with a little bit of suspension of disbelief.

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

Little sister looks a bit scary

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Anyway, I seem to have gone down another rabbit hole right after stating that sometimes you just have to look the other way and grant the author a freebie with a little bit of suspension of disbelief.

Oddly enough, that last part is where I am too, actually. I could give a shit about the theoretical plausibility of the underpinnings of the storyworld--I just want to see where the story goes. I've been rather bemused by the amount of mental energy being expended theorizing what looks exactly like a handwave here, though: "This is not the quantum parallel mirror universe you're looking for."

The%20scientist%20edit
joined Mar 9, 2013

The sister is a yandere!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Speaking of the little sister, I'll be intrigued to see what she plans to do with her new-found knowledge. I mean, at our house, if somebody said, "Mom, I think Onee-chan has been replaced with a doppelgänger from a parallel universe," the response would be, "You may very well be right, dear. Did you finish your homework?"

last edited at Mar 25, 2019 12:50AM

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

Okay. I thought this would become sad but I enjoyed it. Let's just skip to the end and let them be a pair but wait.. "My heart! My heart's not ready yet!" Ahahahahah. I loved it.

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

Oh I LIKE those eyes, she’s gonna be fun.

To reply you must either login or sign up.