Forum › Citrus + discussion

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Plot twist: Sabu is actually making fun of an alternate universe herself.

joined Dec 30, 2019

Nene is always so fun, is nice to see she will (probably) have some development.

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Is it just me or is Nene like really fucking cute this chapter? We barely get to see her face properly most chapters, I was kinda surprised actually..

joined Nov 22, 2019

Now with 2000% more kissing?

Now with 2000% less kissing and 2000% more side characters

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

I disagree. Sabu almost hinted that Harumin might have feelings for Yuzu when Yuzu came out with dating Mei. She didn't need to add that, if she found the HaruYuzu shippers ridiculous.

when and how Saburouta hinted that Harumin has feelings for Yuzu? she just said "I love you too....as a FRIEND" that was just Harumin trolling around with Yuzu and I think that scene was needed to clear any doubt about Harumins intentions for Yuzu
Haruyuzu shippers just like to think otherwise thus Nene exists

last edited at Jul 21, 2020 6:09PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

when and how Saburouta hinted that Harumin has feelings for Yuzu? she just said "I love you too....as a FRIEND" that was just Harumin trolling around with Yuzu and I think that scene was needed to clear any doubt about Harumins intentions for Yuzu

She didn't need to clarify it though. If there was nothing there, a simpe "I love you too" would add up more. Like, you don't clarify the "as a friend" or "as a family member" etc, when you say I love you to your friends and family. Also the way her expression was drawn was weird.
Even better, because that scene was emotionally charged, a "I support you no matter what" would make even more sense. "Saying I love you too...as a friend", especially after someone comes out just makes me wonder.

Anyway, it's clear Yuzu never had feelings for Harumi, but I think the opposite is pretty debatable.

joined Jan 14, 2020

'She didn't need to clarify it though. If there was nothing there, a simpe "I love you too" would add up more. Like, you don't clarify the "as a friend" or "as a family member" etc, when you say I love you to your friends and family. Also the way her expression was drawn was weird.'

In the situation, I don't think "as a friend" means anything about Harumin. Given that Yuzu had just come out as being into girls, or at least one girl, and Harumin herself being a girl, it could be simply clarification, not self-denial.

I remember hoping for Harumin/Yuzu myself, but I think I based that on her facial expression, not words like that.

Untitleds
joined Dec 6, 2014

WHAT the hell is up with the pacing? I normally don't mind the slowburns considering I've been following this since chapter 1 of the first one but I feel like I'm gonna have to wait 5 years till we get that HaruMatsu progression...and it might not even be worth it. l had expectations for Sabu to fix the pacing in C+ but barely anything is happening. YuzuMei feel more distant than before. And these new random characters popping up every few chapters that you can't connect with at all cause you're gonna forget they exist after a good month or more of waiting... cmon dude. I'm annoyed because I'm still emotionally invested in some characters and I wanted this to do better than the original.

joined Feb 14, 2019

She didn't need to clarify it though. If there was nothing there, a simpe "I love you too" would add up more. Like, you don't clarify the "as a friend" or "as a family member" etc, when you say I love you to your friends and family. Also the way her expression was drawn was weird.
Even better, because that scene was emotionally charged, a "I support you no matter what" would make even more sense. "Saying I love you too...as a friend", especially after someone comes out just makes me wonder.

I'm probably not doing much good trying to explain this, but honestly, that scene was done well, so here I go.

I know this is kind of the opposite of that classic advice, but have you tried looking at the pictures instead of just the words? (and the delivery of the words instead of just the words out of context).
A lot of meaning is conveyed though facial expressions in Citrus.

Regardless of any theories about Hrumi's secret feelings, that scene is clear. The "clarification" (punchline) was needed because Harumin wound her up with the tease "declaration" just before. She was making a joke to ease the tension because Yuzu was on edge (just look at the smirk on her face as she says it, that is not a "play though the pain" smile). Next frame she is shocked at how hard Yuzu took the joke. The story never made it explicit but it is likely Harumi guessed about Yuzu and Mei long before this, by the camp or even earlier. I suspect the implication is that Harumi felt Yuzu's admission was long overdue. If there is any subtext in that chapter, it is that "thank you for waiting" may have double meaning referring to Harumi waiting for her come out in her own time.

On a completely unrelated note, how did I only just notice that Harumi's surname is 谷口 when her character intro was about hiding things in her cleavage (maybe I just forgot).

joined Feb 14, 2019

I have a lot of sympathy for Saburouta's possible frustration with Haru-Yuzu shippers (if that is what she feels; satire isn't necessarily spiteful).

If there is such a thing as yuri-exploitation genre, then a large part of it would be rooted in "bating" the "grey zone" between friendship and romance, keeping readers on the hook, without ever committing to anything (ironically what people accuse Citrus of doing). Not to say that there aren't legitimate stories in this area, but it is grossly over represented.

In Citrus it feels like we have a story that breaks the mold - not only is Yuzu-Harumi carefully constructed as a platonic friendship, but Yuzu-Mei is never put in the grey-zone. She was briefly confused at first, but Yuzu never pretended that she just wanted sisterhood or friendship from Mei - even when she was trying to be a "good sister" she explicitly knew that wasn't what she wanted.

We may have been kept in suspense about the outcome, but there was no doubt about the gay (of the lack of it for Haru-Yuzu).

last edited at Jul 25, 2020 11:03PM

joined Jan 17, 2020

'She didn't need to clarify it though. If there was nothing there, a simpe "I love you too" would add up more. Like, you don't clarify the "as a friend" or "as a family member" etc, when you say I love you to your friends and family. Also the way her expression was drawn was weird.'

In the situation, I don't think "as a friend" means anything about Harumin. Given that Yuzu had just come out as being into girls, or at least one girl, and Harumin herself being a girl, it could be simply clarification, not self-denial.

I remember hoping for Harumin/Yuzu myself, but I think I based that on her facial expression, not words like that.

Harumin's facial expression and the way the whole scene was, made it clear (to me) Harumin had a thing for Yuzu that she decided to give up on right there and then to support her as a friend.

joined Jan 17, 2020

Just read the Anniversary chapter...OK this is it, Citrus has become too lame. Dropped.

Will keep tracking the forums for news of HaruMatsu happening (probably never).

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Harumin's facial expression and the way the whole scene was, made it clear (to me) Harumin had a thing for Yuzu that she decided to give up on right there and then to support her as a friend

Yeah like come on! I know they will never be a thing, but to me it's astounding how far people can go to excuse something blatant when they just don't like that certain narrative.
And I'm not saying this necessarily means Saburuta doesn't make fun of HaruYuzu shippers through Nene, but since I believe there were some underlying feelings from Harumin, I don't think she'd make fun of her own writing.

joined Jul 26, 2016

And I'm not saying this necessarily means Saburuta doesn't make fun of HaruYuzu shippers through Nene, but since I believe there were some underlying feelings from Harumin, I don't think she'd make fun of her own writing.

Self-depreciating humor is a thing you know.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

That's also hard to know because of little focus there was on Harumin in the first place.I mean, as soon as Matsuri get introduced, Harumin's role as Yuzu's help as gone to mostly nothing. Hell, even during the school trip where Matsuri is not here, it's Sara who does her job.

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

Just read the Anniversary chapter...OK this is it, Citrus has become too lame. Dropped.

Will keep tracking the forums for news of HaruMatsu happening (probably never).

Don't let the door hit you on your way out

joined Aug 3, 2020

Do people in these comments not realise that love is on a spectrum? Some of you make it seem like it's binary and it's either platonic or romantic.

You all sound like you've never had love, or only experienced one kind of love.

Harumin loves Yuzu with all her heart, but projecting that to explicitly mean romantic love shows a massive amount of immaturity and inexperience.

Until it is written in ink, we are all just guessing, but the way some of you have convinced yourself that Harumin loves Yuzu romantically is nonesensical as it simply shuts off a the chances of further duscussions with others regarding the narrative. You've found a hill and you'll die on it. A pathetic narrow-minded mindset.

Harumin might love Yuzu romantically. It could be a familial type of love. It could be freindship. It could be anything. It could be nothing.

All we know is that there's a hint of jealousy, a hint of abandonment, a bit of confusion and a lot of concern. All emotions that come with loving someone, no matter what form that love takes. It's also things Harumin has started to show towards Matsuri.

joined Jan 17, 2020

Do people in these comments not realise that love is on a spectrum? Some of you make it seem like it's binary and it's either platonic or romantic.

We all know that, but this is Citrus. Does the plot of this series seem nuanced in any way to you?

joined Jun 7, 2019

It seems to me as ironic as Sayaka says to believe and follow the rules of the aihara academy but she has blue hair when that was prohibited

last edited at Aug 7, 2020 8:53AM

joined Jun 7, 2019

there are so many things left unresolved
As I recall there was a debate about who should be the new president, between yuzu and harumin's sister, which we never heard from again.
We don't know anything about Mei's biological mother.
What happened to the manager? Did he marry someone else?
What about Shirapon and Himeko's supposed fiancees?
What happened to yuzu's friends?
I still don't understand about arranged marriages, this is not 1960, you can inherit something without the need to get married
I know it's a yuri manga but they could have given Ume and Shou some development, basically Sho
give his daughter to a stranger.
If Sayaka is so in favor of school rules, then why is her hair dyed blue?
Mei at the beginning of the manga acted with a lot of confidence and whenever she had the opportunity she tried to fuck yuzu (until yuzu had a virgin panic) what happened to her now?
Why were some characters literally discarded?
Why are there so many coincidences in this manga? First, Mei and Yuzu become stepsisters by chance, then the manager turns out to be the fiancé, then it turns out that Matsuri also knows him and many more
Well SaburoUta basically said: "Fuck the development of the story, I want more Mei goinf blushy blushy hehe"

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

As I recall there was a debate about who should be the new president, between yuzu and harumin's sister, which we never heard from again.

Didn't Mei is still the president ? And why Yuzu would be the president anyway ?

We don't know anything about Mei's biological mother.

Dead, probably.

What happened to the manager? Did he marry someone else?

Didn't he return to his café ?

What about Shirapon and Himeko's supposed fiancees?

Who care really ?

What happened to yuzu's friends?

They were at the wedding.

I still don't understand about arranged marriages, this is not 1960, you can inherit something without the need to get married

Japanese tradition. It still exist nowaday but very rarely. Wikipedia article for more precision

I know it's a yuri manga but they could have given Ume and Shou some development, basically Sho
give his daughter to a stranger.

Which do you mean ? If it's the fiancé then he probably don't have a choice and frankly was not in place to tell anything. He was the one refusing the president siege and leave it to Mei to go on a world trip. If it's leaving her to Ume then it's just because they were family now.

If Sayaka is so in favor of school rules, then why is her hair dyed blue?

It's a manga so it's probably her natural hair color.

Mei at the beginning of the manga acted with a lot of confidence and whenever she had the opportunity she tried to fuck yuzu (until yuzu had a virgin panic) what happened to her now

It's in the manga

Why were some characters literally discarded?

Which ones ?

Why are there so many coincidences in this manga? First, Mei and Yuzu become stepsisters by chance, then the manager turns out to be the fiancé, then it turns out that Matsuri also knows him and many more

If you start tocomplain about coincidences in manga, you're not finished before a long time. Nothing will happen in manga if those crazys coincidences never happen.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Putting Lilliwyt a slightly different way: that's all swept under the rug/doesn't matter/don't ask.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Chapter 12.4 should be here fairly soon:

Mei: "Could you please get off?" Yuzu: "What the fuck do you think I've been trying to do ever since the chapters were in single digits?"

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Putting Lilliwyt a slightly different way: that's all swept under the rug/doesn't matter/don't ask.

I wouldn't really go quite that far. Fact is, while kokoa does have a point to some extent, most of the criticism would be valid for the parent series, but not really for Citrus +, either being related to events that happened before the time span covered here, or to questions left open at the end of Citrus, meaning that this series has either not reached the point where they even become an issue yet, or they might not even be in the scope of this series to solve unless it is eventually extended beyond the end of Citrus itself. Also, with this still being an ongoing series, we can't be absolutely sure some of these points won't be still addressed in future chapters (as unlikely as it may be).

"When can I come out" lmao
This was really nice, it's moments/interactions like that, that remind me how much I like these two and also how much I think mei is hot/like her in general. These few pages are better than the rest of the other pages. Thanks a bunch for the translation!

To reply you must either login or sign up.