Forum › Fukakai na Boku no Subete o discussion

joined Nov 14, 2013

Isn't Mogumo the protag though?

I'm ashamed to admit that while I was contemplating whether I should read this I assumed Tetsu was the protagonist, because he's the only character on the cover who isn't josou, and he has the most generic design. I really shouldn't argue about a manga I'm not reading though.

Lol, yeah, the cover makes it look like some generic crossdressing harem, but it isn't that at all. It only actually has two crossdressers. Both of whom are shown in boys clothes pretty frequently.

One of whom

HAS A BOYFRIEND

He needs more screentime.

He and Yuzu had a starring role in 3 doujins before this series started.

It's actually here as Kimi Dake no Ponytail, though it's much more sex focused.

last edited at Jun 8, 2019 1:32PM

Tumblr_inline_mnt4g3zxm31qz4rgp
joined Jul 23, 2017

I love that the new chapter is literally "Ten-chan is a GOD"

joined Oct 27, 2018

The revelation that Mei is taking online classes makes me kind of sad, I mean, I'm sure we can all guess why she moved to online school. She probably doesn't even have any girl friends her age, which explains the way she acted towards Kotone.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Tesu's friends are great. This series is so wholesome.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I'm not crying your crying

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

it's just raining on my face, that's all

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

ah, chapter 13 is so good and wholesome, it was just the pick me up I needed today

joined Apr 26, 2016

Aww wish Mogumo explained what being agender is but take time they barely know gay and binary trans. Though why translate as he when Mogumo would likely use they

last edited at Jul 8, 2019 9:47PM

joined Oct 27, 2018

Aww wish Mogumo explained what being agender is but take time they barely know gay and binary trans. Though why translate as he when Mogumo would likely use they

Yeah, they managed to avoid problems for mogumo up to now. Why did they suddenly start using he/ him pronouns for mogumo.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

To be fair, this is something that is only an issue in translation, though it shows up in that they aren't sure whether to say "Mogumo-kun" (masculine) or "Mogumo-chan" (feminine). Pronouns are not exactly gendered in Japanese, and are rarely used anyways. You might refer to someone as "kare" (which is literally almost like guy/dude/bro but can be used as he/him in reference to a person) or "kanojo" (fem version) in some contexts, but you can always substitute their name naturally where English leans heavy on pronouns.

I don't particularly like translating (so I don't do it as a hobby) but in cases like this there is a lot of context, and some of the nuance is not always exactly the same between English and Japanese.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Speaking of non-obvious cultural differences, I like how the author pictures Mogumo as the Buddha when he instructs Naoya. The halo and pose are pretty funny.

joined Oct 27, 2018

To be fair, this is something that is only an issue in translation, though it shows up in that they aren't sure whether to say "Mogumo-kun" (masculine) or "Mogumo-chan" (feminine). Pronouns are not exactly gendered in Japanese, and are rarely used anyways. You might refer to someone as "kare" (which is literally almost like guy/dude/bro but can be used as he/him in reference to a person) or "kanojo" (fem version) in some contexts, but you can always substitute their name naturally where English leans heavy on pronouns.

I don't particularly like translating (so I don't do it as a hobby) but in cases like this there is a lot of context, and some of the nuance is not always exactly the same between English and Japanese.

Yeah, I know it was a translation decision, I just think it was a bad one. It actually violates the canon of the story, we have seen how Mogumo reacts to being called boy, Mogumo would not like their boyfriend to use those pronouns.

joined Jan 13, 2019

mogumo trying to dissociate their way through the entire conversation by playing yugioh is a mood and a half

joined Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, I know it was a translation decision, I just think it was a bad one. It actually violates the canon of the story, we have seen how Mogumo reacts to being called boy, Mogumo would not like their boyfriend to use those pronouns.
This
Tetsu side note I'm glad he's out of the closet

joined Apr 26, 2016

mogumo trying to dissociate their way through the entire conversation by playing yugioh is a mood and a half

They totally play Subterror

HonestYuriHawk
joined Apr 5, 2018

I love Tetsu, hes such a good guy. This series overall is just sooo good. So many feels in this chapter that put a smile on my face, and seeing Mogumo happy at the end just warmed my heart.

joined Oct 27, 2018

I love Tetsu, hes such a good guy. This series overall is just sooo good. So many feels in this chapter that put a smile on my face, and seeing Mogumo happy at the end just warmed my heart.

Tetsu's realization that he's been a bad ally and his efforts to do better, make me happy, I dont think I've seen that in anything before.

joined Apr 26, 2016

So uh Mogu and Koto. They gonna hook the latter up with Mei?

joined Aug 22, 2019

That kiss was so cute!

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

He's been bragging about you to an annoying degree

YOU DONT SAY

Chamo
joined Mar 15, 2019

And there it is, the literal only reaction needed when someone tells you they are enby: "oh, okay, thank you for telling me, now I know and can be respectful towards you." isn't Haruto just the best?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Time to play matchmaker for Koto-chan.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Tbh, Mogumo's character design is that of a girl. As well as their clothes.

But we are supposed to think their gender is ambiguous.

joined Jan 13, 2019

Tbh, Mogumo's character design is that of a girl. As well as their clothes.

But we are supposed to think their gender is ambiguous.

mogumo dresses like a girl chiefly because they're afraid people won't understand the concept of being nonbinary, and looking like a girl is easier than looking like a boy for them at the moment.

we're not supposed to "think" mogumo's gender is ambiguous, because it's not. they're not a boy or a girl, they're nonbinary. the only ambiguity is that mogumo thinks other people won't understand, so they have a hard time talking about it plainly.

granted mogumo's not -wrong- for being anxious about explaining it to people, but their anxieties tell them nobody would understand even amongst people that are open-minded, like haruto.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I was talking in term of character design not in term of in-story mindset.

All ladyboys/non binary here "pass" flawlessly as girls.

Mangakas rarely know how to draw transgender, or at least andrgynous people. Or at least transgender people that don't quite pass, other than drawing them as muscled and unshaved drag queens.

Akira, in that other manga, is at least an effort in that direction. That's why I'm so disappointed in her personality.

To reply you must either login or sign up.