Forum › Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru discussion

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

This epic bildungsroman about Fuyuki finding love and purpose in a small fishing town continues to be as great as ever, but I'm not sure why the author's devoting so much time to the shy girls from the aquarium club. Are they lesbians? Are they amphibians? Seems kinda distracting, tbh, 7/10.

On a more serious note, we might actually need an Amphibian tag to describe stories about girls who aren't sure about their feelings for their best buddies and use tons of ocean metaphors to express this.

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 2:03AM

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Hachimitsu Scans are real darlings, not only do they translate really fast, they went out of their way to do the volume extras due to the extra pages.

joined Jan 25, 2017

"What should I call that person" indeed....

joined Jul 1, 2018

That 30.5 was too good. Cant wait to read 31, and eventually the rest of the volume!

Yesyes
joined Mar 17, 2020

no way this is still subtext?

Sarah of the Night
Kaijuislandfuruka2
joined May 12, 2020

lol

aw its sad to know that this could be her last work, and that this apparently didnt come out the way she intended it to..

makes me even more curious about what she couldve done with other projects assuming she'd have more creative control. but as long as shes happy.

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 3:54AM

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

and that this apparently didnt come out the way she intended it to..

Didn't she state the opposite on twitter?

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 4:36AM

joined Jul 1, 2018

I’m pretty sure. I think what OP is talking about is during stream when she was talking about either what would happened if she let there be anime adaption (she wouldn’t have control over her story) or when she was talking about the order/ length of chapters in the last volume (I’m pretty sure that she mentioned that 31 and 32 should be one chapter, or that 32 would come first, I could be wrong tho)

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

An aquarium club seafood event. Who knew how wholesome unintentional gallows humor could be.

joined Jul 26, 2019

She is still young, so I had to take these statements as a need to breathe and recharge before returning to writing ...
Interesting this passage in the future or koyuki has feelings that she finally qualifies as different than friendship when thinking about konatsu. The distance must have accentuated her feeling towards konatsu.
I feel more and more that the story is going to end with an open end where the two of them are going to get together and declare that they want to stay together forever but that we won't see a kiss ^^

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Even though nothing unusual is happening and they're simply preparing for another culture festival, it really feels like everyone has grown and it's happened very organically throughout the series, how bittersweet but nice. Konatsu's dissatisfaction over how she wishes she'd spent more time and talked more with Koyuki and the final volume preview make me think that her "one more step" will be becoming her frog and going to Tokyo with her (whether immediately or, more likely, a year later after graduating herself) so that their lost time can be made up by always being together from then on.

"What should I call that person?"
Your girlshipfriend, duh.

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 4:56AM

Sarah of the Night
Kaijuislandfuruka2
joined May 12, 2020

I’m pretty sure. I think what OP is talking about is during stream when she was talking about either what would happened if she let there be anime adaption (she wouldn’t have control over her story) or when she was talking about the order/ length of chapters in the last volume (I’m pretty sure that she mentioned that 31 and 32 should be one chapter, or that 32 would come first, I could be wrong tho)

ah!

i was refencing this post on the previous page: "She talked about how she thought that her manga could be more popular (anime adaptation is a way for it), but unable to do so since she should write a story that meets people expectation (as opposed to how she wanted the story to be)."

i guess that was in reference to having to change things for the anime tho. i see now.

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 5:14AM

joined Jul 1, 2018

Interesting this passage in the future or koyuki has feelings that she finally qualifies as different than friendship when thinking about konatsu. The distance must have accentuated her feeling towards konatsu.

Yeah, I feel that we will close off with something like that. This chapter really finished off Konatsu’s arc, who’s put all her faith in Koyuki to take care of her feelings of always wanting to be together. It seems like it’s up to Koyuki to validate these feelings, maybe not put a title (tho girlshipfriends sounds about right), but to define what they mean to one another.

Konatsu’s commentary in this chapter was really what sold it for me. Yeah, this chapter was pretty uneventful, but it really went to show how much growth they’ve all had, with Kaede’s cooking, Fuyuki finding something that he wants to do, and Koyuki waving at a passing Konatsu, something she couldn’t bring herself to do in ch. 24. It really showcases the depth of Konatsu’s character, and add a new layer to her actions through the story. It not only details the pain of loneliness (by showing how she’s no longer alone) but the anxiety of opening up for the first time, something that wasn’t focused on as much until the later chapters.

Lastly, the paneling and art is stunning, I want to print out each page and hang them on my wall or something. Small things, like Konatsu being alone and separated from her classmates, yet not being lonely, Kaede coming up to her, the guy from the mixer (who either likes Honami or Kondou’s older sister) and the girls from the culture festival all coming back. Even our friendly frog and salamander looked stunning.

I won’t even get into the paneling and art of 30.5. Just The detail of Koyuki’s face on page 2 is too much for me, it really seemed planned out like a movie trailer.

As always, sorry for the long post lol.

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

^^ Not just for the anime, she generally meant that rather than writing something with the aim of making it popular, she wrote exactly what she wanted regardless of some people's expectations. I guess this might include explicit romance.

last edited at Dec 27, 2020 5:18AM

joined Jul 26, 2019

As always, sorry for the long post lol.

Don't apologize it's better a long post than 3 words running after it ^^
This chapter is quiet but on rereading it we feel that konatsu is waiting for this festival to definitively tempted to confess her feelings to koyuki.... when she talks about still a little bit for the last stage, it has a lot of meaning especially coming from an introvert like her!
Finally her preparation on her notebook and the fact that konatsu finally had the courage to apply it in front of the others (her two cakes in the shape of a frog and a salamander) to know if it will make koyuki click is also a demonstration of her positive evolution. She hopes that it will mean as much to koyuki as it does to her. I hope this festival will be positive for both of them!

Test
joined Sep 8, 2019

Subtext? Is This Yuri Yet?

Seriously, please give a hint of the endgame, I'm dying here...

Also, when did the angst tag suddenly appear?

Don't get your hope up.
I remember going to the author's Twitter and found Girl x Girlfriend = Girlship.
Yep, definitely not gay at all.

I think the author also similar to Urasekai Picnic kind of author in terms of "Friendship between girls."

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Mom in wingman mode again. :D

We sure got a lot of talk about feelings this time. ^_^

People sure are surprised about Kaede actually being able to cook. :D

"Shalanenbur!" :D

joined Jul 1, 2018

I remember going to the author's Twitter and found Girl x Girlfriend = Girlship.
Yep, definitely not gay at all.

I think the author also similar to Urasekai Picnic kind of author in terms of "Friendship between girls."

here’s my reply to the obligatory monthly “how gay is it?” Convo

This work definitely falls into the slice of life sub genre of unconventional relationships that aren’t easily defined. It’s most easily identifiable when it’s this type of story when looking at the works which feature main character who are nowhere near the same age (Watashi no Shounen is my favorite example of this) the story is more about the impact characters have on one another, and the meaning they have to each other than the nature of their relationship. Something like that can change, and their feelings would still be the same. I guess it’s something deeper than romance per se, closer too being soulmates? Something more loosely defined but has a stronger meaning. Of course that doesn’t mean this isn’t totally gay (the aoshima extra pages bring back those earlier vibes of treading on the delicate boundary between friendship and love) but I would say it isn’t a priority to the story. At this point, there wouldn’t be any better place to put some romantic flavor now, but I’m sure we’re going to get a “who is this person to me? Oh that’s my frogggg” type ending lol.

I’m super glad that others on here know the greatness that is urasekai picnic

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

^Anime in just over a week so a lot more people will get to know of it, myself included. On that note, are the novels translated?

joined Jul 1, 2018

^Anime in just over a week so a lot more people will get to know of it, myself included. On that note, are the novels translated?

Yeah, volume four just came out today! I was able to find volumes 1-3 online for free somewhere, but there is an e-book paywall for the fourth one

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

You can get the e-books for $7 each on Amazon US.

...but I'm really just posting to ask that we not go down the route of rehashing the same old "is it homo" conversation. Unless there's something new to say, best to just leave the rest of this discussion on all the other pages it's already present in.

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Don't worry, I wasn't going to ask anything more, I already know the gist of it nor does it matter to me if it's actually yuri or not as long as it's a good story. You know, like Nettaigyo which I've been hooked to from the start.

joined Jul 1, 2018

^^ Forgot to mention that you can also buy the paperback omnibus of volumes 1 and 2, if you prefer a physical copy. I’m not sure whether or not it’s been restocked/reprinted on Amazon yet, when I bought it there were like 7 or 8 copies left in stock. Omnibus 2 is coming next summer with volumes 3 and 4.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

aw its sad to know that this could be her last work,

rly why tho? im not sure about japan but i think here in the west the manga was fairly popular

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

Is "they're both amphibians" the new "they were roommates"?

To reply you must either login or sign up.