Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

Old_Man_Majes
Old%20man%20prof
joined Oct 25, 2022

Been a hot minute since they introduced a new character. Curious to see how she'll fit in to the story.

Fukami rockin' the new 'do; classic heartbreak move, but I agree with Kase that it suits her.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I tend to stay out of the manga-prediction business, but for some reason this time I can’t help wondering what role Doi Mizuho is going to play. [EDIT: ^ I see I am not alone in this.]

We’ve already got Fukami and “My name is Aikawa, dammit!” (yes, I had to look it up again too) if the goal is to play “Pair the Lesbian Spares.”

Maybe she’s just going to be an addition to Kase’s Harem of Sporty Tsunderes (that glare from the new blondie suggests that a “Kase-san is a Love Goddess” epiphany is somewhere in her future). And it’s not as if the author is reluctant to repeat themes and plot points.

last edited at May 23, 2024 8:30AM

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Let's hope we're back on track for the sweetness of the first "season." Bullocks to the endless insecure/jealous arcs.

Screenshot%202023-08-18%20at%2014-36-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20virgins'%20empire%20ch136
joined Jun 13, 2023

"since it's just the two of us we've been staying up late"
staying up late doing what I wonder? probably playing too much uno./j

joined Apr 22, 2024

I tend to stay out of the manga-prediction business, but for some reason this time I can’t help wondering what role Doi Mizuho is going to play. [EDIT: ^ I see I am not alone in this.]

I bet that she'll be better than Kase in racing, at least at the beggining. It reminds me the Kase's fortune prediction in the new year chapter. It said that Kase's dream (live with Yamada) will become true, but it will affect her sexual and academics life.

I hope a drama beyond jealousy, after the race Arc this will be even more pointless and repetitive.

last edited at May 23, 2024 11:02AM

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

If we're moving into a new arc and we have to center one of the two, I'd much rather we focus on Yamada. I'd rather Yamada's story not be wholly centered around reacting to Kase's struggles this time. Maybe I'm forgetting but I feel like we've been leaning more into Kase for a bit now.

last edited at May 23, 2024 2:22PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

"since it's just the two of us we've been staying up late"
staying up late doing what I wonder? probably playing too much uno./j

I'm sure that's it.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Too adorable for words. ^_^

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Let's hope we're back on track for the sweetness of the first "season." Bullocks to the endless insecure/jealous arcs.

I'm the one who's feeling insecure! My cute baby Yamada is gonna try and cook curry! And it isn't just instant curry, she's gonna make it from scratch!! Will she be okay? She's too nervous and anxious about it, that's a bad omen! And how good was she at cooking to begin with?!? I can't remember!

I have this awful foreboding presentiment that she's gonna mess it up oh noooooo...

joined Jan 14, 2020

Japanese curry is stew

how can you mess it up if you remotely follow a recipe

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Japanese curry is stew

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Japanese curry is stew

(https://media3.giphy.com/media/R4vkDAeQ1VaY8/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952v38o8pirkrwftybfhg7j7d6htqh2qllxdjxgj3h0&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g)

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to reply here. :D

Mind%20as%20judgement%20jpg
joined Nov 20, 2018

I'm the one who's feeling insecure! My cute baby Yamada is gonna try and cook curry! And it isn't just instant curry, she's gonna make it from scratch!! Will she be okay? She's too nervous and anxious about it, that's a bad omen! And how good was she at cooking to begin with?!? I can't remember!

I have this awful foreboding presentiment that she's gonna mess it up oh noooooo...

I find this extremely funny with the Himemiya pfp like, Kase and Yamada are about to switch bodies

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Ah, the details you forgot during the months of waiting for new chapters that you notice when re-reading the series again... In the end, it looks like the entire (mostly ill-received) race business was set up by the author for the sole purpose of forcing Yui to wait until an apartment opened up in the very first place she liked.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Ah, the details you forgot during the months of waiting for new chapters that you notice when re-reading the series again... In the end, it looks like the entire (mostly ill-received) race business was set up by the author for the sole purpose of forcing Yui to wait until an apartment opened up in the very first place she liked.

Great catch. And in true Yamada fashion, she likes an imaginary version of Mikawacchi’s apartment.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Great catch. And in true Yamada fashion, she likes an imaginary version of Mikawacchi’s apartment.

But reality is great for her as well.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

For Mikawacchi, not so much.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/yamada_to_kase_san_ch36#14

joined Apr 22, 2024

Yes, I just had this discussion on another forum. After this arc, Yamada is even happier living in that apartment and Kase hates living wall to wall with Mikawa, it's a shame Mikawa hates it too lol

last edited at May 29, 2024 8:24AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

For Mikawacchi, not so much.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/yamada_to_kase_san_ch36#14

Nor for Tomoka-chan. As they both said from the start. :D

joined Apr 22, 2024

And re-reading the arc... I have the sensation that most people had been so hard on Kase, even unfair.

She was coerced and forced with everything that is important for a Japanese:

-Personal debt with Fukami, fore leaving her the room task and find out her leaving from third parties ("on" and "ogi")
-Social pressure for her classmates ("sekentei") and Keep the group harmony ("wa"), colleagues whom she has to continue seeing every day and working with them. They aren't flatmates that you leave and never see again.
-And a direct order for a senpai, who didn't even ask, just said "it's decided". A relationship what implies respect and obedience, Disobeying her is not only not contemplated by you, but you also discredit her position of authority compared to the rest.

Making her literally impossible to refuse. That's why Yamada didn't get angry about the race, she did when Kase told her that it was Fukami's idea.

And despite this, it is implied that she was also going to leave the dorms eitherways:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/yamada_to_kase_san_ch32#10

She prefers to leave on good terms, but here she is clearly preparing to face a direct conflict, something terribly violent in Japan.

I'm pretty sure that the japanese readers understood this arc way different than mostly of us.

last edited at May 29, 2024 9:16AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And re-reading the arc... I have the sensation that most people had been so hard on Kase, even unfair.

She was coerced and forced with everything that is important for a Japanese:

-Personal debt with Fukami, fore leaving her the room task and find out her leaving from third parties ("on" and "ogi")
-Social pressure for her classmates ("sekentei") and Keep the group harmony ("wa"), colleagues whom she has to continue seeing every day and working with them. They aren't flatmates that you leave and never see again.
-And a direct order for a senpai, who didn't even ask, just said "it's decided". A relationship what implies respect and obedience, Disobeying her is not only not contemplated by you, but you also discredit her position of authority compared to the rest.

Making her literally impossible to refuse. That's why Yamada didn't get angry about the race, she did when Kase told her that it was Fukami's idea.

And despite this, it is implied that she was also going to leave the dorms eitherways:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/yamada_to_kase_san_ch32#10

She prefers to leave on good terms, but here she is clearly preparing to face a direct conflict, something terribly violent in Japan.

I'm pretty sure that the japanese readers understood this arc way different than mostly of us.

I think this is at least a partial misreading of the overall reaction to this arc. Experienced manga readers are quite familiar with the Japanese cultural emphasis on group harmony, on subordination to senpai, etc.

The problem was that those elements were insufficiently justified in the text by the author in developing this specific situation. As I have said again and again, this was not Kase’s misstep but the author’s.

There was no previous indication in the story that there was an any problem with or resistance to Kase leaving the dorms—in fact it was quite explicit that students were allowed to live off-campus after their first year.

Except for Fukami, there was very little previous specific development of Kase’s relationships with her teammates or what their expectations of Kase were. And Fukami’s demand that Kase stay also seemed to come from nowhere. Although readers were aware that Fukami had feelings for Kase, on the surface she was markedly reserved and distant with Kase, not someone who was in any position to make her roommate continue to live on campus.

Most egregiously to me was that the “order from a senpai” business was a blatant violation of the previous character of Inoue, who from the beginning of the series has been developed as Kase’s ally and a consistent wingwoman who approved of and facilitated Kase’s relationship with Yamada.

So the fact that Japanese cultural values made it “literally impossible to refuse” the race did not grow organically from the way the storyworld had previously been developed but was obviously a function of the author loading the dice to get to the desired plot points.

(The further fact that Kase was never going to lose that race in a million years made the whole thing even more pointless.)

last edited at May 29, 2024 11:16AM

joined Apr 22, 2024

Absolutely... point by point. All of these elements were literally implemented in the last pages of "Tea-cup and Kase-san."

It's as if it were the author himself who ordered Kase to run.

I was referring to many people who in other forums (way toxic than this one xD) put absolutely all the blame on Kase. I have even read that she is the worst girlfriend in GL manga LOL when she is just dense. Those people in particular don't care about Japanese social behavior, and if we add that to the fact that you have to wait 2 months for each chapter it makes it even more frustrating.

I swear, this forum is an absolute oasis

Anyway, I'm happy with the end of these. Fukami accepting and being a good loser, Yamada happier than ever in her first choice apartment with Kase and next to her best friend, and Kase apologizing and reflecting and with the small punishment of living wall to wall with Mikawacchi lol
The chapter "Moving with Kase-san pt.2" is one of the best of the two series.

last edited at May 29, 2024 11:35AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Absolutely... point by point. All of these elements were literally implemented in the last pages of "Tea-cup and Kase-san."

It's as if it were the author himself who ordered Kase to run.

I was referring to many people who in other forums (way toxic than this one xD) put absolutely all the blame on Kase. I have even read that she is the worst girlfriend in GL manga LOL when she is just dense. Those people in particular don't care about Japanese social behavior, and if we add that to the fact that you have to wait 2 months for each chapter it makes it even more frustrating.

I swear, this forum is an absolute oasis

Anyway, I'm happy with the end of these. Fukami accepting and being a good loser, Yamada happier than ever in her first choice apartment with Kase and next to her best friend, and Kase apologizing and reflecting and with the small punishment of living wall to wall with Mikawacchi lol
The chapter "Moving with Kase-san pt.2" is one of the best of the two series.

Ah, I see--I only read this forum, so I have no clue what people elsewhere were saying. (And Kase took her share of crap here, too.)

I actually wouldn't have minded (at least not totally) if the author had done the work needed to set up that arc (or something like it) so that it made sense.

For instance, we've never really been given much of a look at what day-to-day college life is like for either Kase or Yamada--Kase practices running and Yamada plants flowers like they've always done, and that's about it. It seems almost irrelevant to wonder if they have actual classes or how they're doing with their grades.

But this has never been a world-building series (have we ever even seen either of the two MC's sets of parents?) as opposed to the depiction of lovey-dovey shenanigans between Yamada and Kase, so when the story suddenly imposed a bunch of unmotivated social expectations on Kase, the whole thing just seemed weird.

last edited at May 29, 2024 3:33PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

(have we ever even seen either of the two MC's sets of parents?)

Through the power of having just re-read the entire thing (and having seen this question come up in the comments) I can tell you that, yes, we have met Yui's mom way back in chapter 13 of the original series, although even then we're never actually shown her full face - even when it's not cut off by panel or page edges, it's conveniently turned away just enough.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

(have we ever even seen either of the two MC's sets of parents?)

Through the power of having just re-read the entire thing (and having seen this question come up in the comments) I can tell you that, yes, we have met Yui's mom way back in chapter 13 of the original series, although even then we're never actually shown her full face - even when it's not cut off by panel or page edges, it's conveniently turned away just enough.

Thanks! I had a vague feeling that might be the case, but the only thing I could actually remember was that Yamada sometimes would report to someone else, something like “My Mom said” or “she was mad,” etc.

To reply you must either login or sign up.