Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

im just starting this after cruising thru "kase-san" in one sitting. cant read too much of the thread for fear of spoilers, but...

in chapter 3 mikawa says to yamada "i picked this highschool randomly, but i got to meet you."

in the first series, i coulda sworn she said they were friends in elementary school, but even tho they weren't together in middle school, once they got to highschool they fell right back into being close again. an oversight or did i misread something?

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

ok. caught up. seems like these two hardly see each other for 5 minutes a week. hopefully they move in together and can do gay things more often.

also seems like kase is a bit overbearing: dont wear lipstick, dont wear a yukata, dont wear a cute apron, etc.

it really bothered me when she said the lipstick "didn't suit" yamada. first of all: rude. second she was staring at her lips, so she probably did like it, but was just worried other people might think her gf is pretty. if the girl wants to wear makeup and cute outfits she should do so. >:[

kase's got girls all over her constantly, and shes jealous that someone might see yamada looking cute?

last edited at Dec 1, 2019 5:15AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

One of Kase’s defining characteristics is that she thinks her little potted plant is the sexiest thing in the universe and her anxiety comes from the assumption that everyone else thinks so too.

I do agree that her “don’t do this” move is annoying and inappropriate, but in the specific case of the lipstick, I thought her point was (also) that a glam look actually “didn’t suit” little Miss Natural World.

She is a potted plant, after all.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

[...] and can do gay things more often.

O.O You mean... like handholding !!?! :O

In case you don't want to browse the entire discussion, here's what Kase's attitude boils down to
a) She's overbearing, inappropriate and disrespectful to Yamada and the latter being her own person.
b) She's just fully aware of Yamada's lack of social skills, her inability to say "no" (esp. to strangers) and unawareness of others, esp. those nasty males - which all of three may or may not lead her into hilarious potentially dangerous situations (case and point: the apron situation), so she's rightfully (?) protective of Yamada, trying to steer her away from unnecessary trouble as best as possible..
c) everything Blastaar said.

That said, they both make mistakes, act at times inappropriate and are still trying to figure things out - and that they "hardly see each other for 5 minutes a week" (a very true point IMO), doesn't help the matter.

Also, welcome to the world of Kase-san.
Do yourself a favour and BUY the manga if it's available in your country (or get the english versions from amazon).
Or at least check this out, which is from the released manga vol.5 / some later included pages from the first series' chapter 24 , between the online pages 13 and 14...

last edited at Dec 1, 2019 6:45AM

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

i felt like the apron situation was kind of the author's way to justify kase's behavior. like "see look. bad things will happen if you dress/act a certain way." maybe that's just my interpretation? either way, i'm excited for more. it's super cute!

i am caught up so i'll be reading thru the thread some now. i am really curious if mikawa's dialogue in chapter 3 was a minor plot hole.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

...can you remember the chapter or event surrounding Mikawacchi (or anyone) claiming she and Yamada had been friends since elementary?
Because, I could not remember that, just flipped quickly through the earlier series (did not regret, may have flipped some pages much slower than others / aka may have gotten a little distracted from my intended mission here and there XD), but could not find any such statement...?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

...can you remember the chapter or event surrounding Mikawacchi (or anyone) claiming she and Yamada had been friends since elementary?
Because, I could not remember that, just flipped quickly through the earlier series (did not regret, may have flipped some pages much slower than others / aka may have gotten a little distracted from my intended mission here and there XD), but could not find any such statement...?

Damn you! I knew you were right, but took an hour finding it myself:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kase_san_ch13#15

And I had other things to do, too. Lol

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

...okay, so the Seven Seas published translation of that page reads as following:

Yamada: If you leave too, then I...
Yamada: I dunno, if I can make it by myself next year.

Mikawacchi: You'll be fine.
Mikawacchi: I mean, we've been doing this kind of thing for a while!

Mikawacchi: Did you forget?
Mikawacchi: "We only became friends in tenth grade. Three years ago we haven't even met yet. We've done this a million times since elementary school. You'll be fine.

Yamada ("voice-over"): Right...
Yamada (thought): I guess so.
Yamada ("voice-over"): Did I feel like this in Junior High, too?

---- soo, yeah, the bold and cursive was that way in the book.
I think, that translation makes it a little much clearer, but I understood it that way in the translation we have here (which is interesting because the "we hadn't seen each other in three years" tells a different narrative - maybe my non-native-english brain just skipped it for not making much sense in the given context and rewired the wordstring to a wholy different sentence that coincidentally matched the other translation / original intent? ...weird. But I swear, I always read that to mean this):

The context is them starting a new school year, enrolling in the next higher school / at university at that; everything new, new people, loosing some old friends, new schedules, new surroundings, all that jazz.
Yamada is scared of that, her insecure gold-fish-memory-self can only think of the past three years, where she had Mikawacchi to fall back on.
But Mikawacchi reminds her (paraphrasing) "Kid, this is not the first time. We [not together but, both you and me] have been doing this rodeo [getting into a new school year, feeling a little lost, finding new friends] since elementary, since [each] our first day of school. It keeps repeating once per year. It's nothing new. You managed, even before meeting me. You will manage again. It'll be fine."

...in short, this is a translation-thingy at best. It was not meant to imply they have known each other since elementary. They became friends in the first year of High School. No contradiction here.

Phew.

last edited at Dec 1, 2019 3:53PM

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

thanks blastaar and kuekyuuq. i had just read the entire two series and it would have taken me forever to find it. i was hoping someone would just remember and not have to put in a ton of time but thank you very much.

looks like its time for me to buy the translated books.

last edited at Dec 1, 2019 4:47PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

thanks blastaar and kuekyuuq. i had just read the entire two series and it would have taken me forever to find it. i was hoping someone would just remember and not have to put in a ton of time but thank you very much.

You’re welcome, and no problem—reading Kase-san (even fast) is one of the most pleasant things I do.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

^Couldn't agree more~
Any excuse to re-read the series for the billionth time is very much welcome ^.^v
(Not that a pretext was required to keep doing that... >.>)

...I presented myself with the first four volumes last christmas... So, maybe put the by now first 5 down on your wishlist?

Seems, vol. 6 (or rather, vol. 1 of Yamada to Kase-san / Kase-san and Yamada) won't be available until mid-february... hnn... well, I guess, it's gonna be a very early easter gift then...
((As an aside, I bet the english titles and over-all cover designs, on top of the original labeling, make it hard for casual buyers to identify what's new and what's what and such... Like, this not being a re-release but the continuation... Not sure about Japanese, but my guess would be that western people would generally be confused how this direct continuation would restart the numbering, while the cover-design and "Kase-and..." titles remained the same...))

last edited at Dec 1, 2019 7:00PM

joined Feb 14, 2019

also seems like kase is a bit overbearing: dont wear lipstick, dont wear a yukata, dont wear a cute apron, etc.
kase's got girls all over her constantly, and shes jealous that someone might see yamada looking cute?

You're not the only one who has noticed, though many fans will go overboard defending it as "just" a cute dynamic.

It is pretty subtle, it isn't an absolute thing, more about the double standard. Kase and Yamada have very similar anxieties at the start (fair enough, high school, first relationship, etc), but the narrative (and to a certain degree Kase herself) constantly justifies and legitimizes Kase's concerns while belittling and dismissing Yamada's. Yamada has grown, she has pushed herself out of her comfort zone over and over again. She decided what she wanted, worked hard to get into the school she wanted, she is living by herself, and she has had a part time job. She has even (mostly) dealt with her issues about Kase spending day and night being chummy with fit, attractive women. Kase has barely grown at all; she still has massive anxiety attacks at even the possibility that a man might look at Yamada, with no proportionality to any real danger, or allowance for Yamada's growing maturity/independence. It is the paternalistic "dashing prince rescues helpless maiden" trope played to death.

Granted some men are pigs, but locking "your girl" away so no one can "steal" her is straight up objectifying.

Besides, if Kase really was worried about her little flower being irresistible, she would also be worried about other girls (like Yamada is)... but she isn't. at all. It reeks of internalised homophobia: she isn't afraid Yamada is irresistible to others, she is afraid Yamada will jump for the first hetero-normative opportunity that comes her way, because she is afraid no homosexual relationship could measure up.

That said, the reason this is so frustrating is that this isn't just another cute superficial "pure yuri" series. It has dealt with some interesting issues quite well in the past, eg Kase's anxiety about Yamada's reaction to seeing her body; Yamada researching that what girls can do beyond kissing (making it character growth instead of a running joke about her innocence). I love that the series/relationship is an ongoing thing, and wasn't declared "done" at first declaration of love/kiss/sex etc.

The latest chapter started on a promising note - it seemed that Kase might finally be the one who has gotten herself into a situation she can't really handle, pimped out by her senpai to bring in custom, and "caught" flirting with half the girls on the beach by Yamada. But then Kase "explains" that it didn't mean anything, and Yamda ends up apologising for being annoyed. If Yui had been in a similar situation with men, Kase would have kicked in heads, and literally carried her off. On the bright side it looks like Yamada is finally going to come out to Hana (assuming Kase doesn't find a way to "rescue" her from that).

21gpbzwhmdl._sx425_
joined Jun 25, 2019

Pretty sure kase did say in the first series that she doesn't want any guys or girls hitting on yamada. Also I'm pretty sure she trusts yamada just fine, she just doesn’t trust random pervs hitting on yamada. It didn't look to me like kase was flirting with the other girls to me it just looked like she was caught off guard by being surrounded/cuddled suddenly by a bunch of people and sure she blushed when a girls breast touched her but sexual excitement can still happen doesn't mean she'll leave yamada for the random girl XD Also she hasn't been "gettin some" in awhile so yeah something minor like that could cause a reaction XD

last edited at Jan 3, 2020 3:27AM

joined Jan 15, 2020

Does anyone knows when the next chapter will come out ?

21gpbzwhmdl._sx425_
joined Jun 25, 2019

I'm not sure sorry ^_^; it might say on the authors twitter I'm not sure

21gpbzwhmdl._sx425_
joined Jun 25, 2019

I'm definitely curious too i love this series :3

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I think /u/ use the kindle version of the chapter for their translation so i don't really know where they're at right now but i hope we got the chapter soon.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Far as I can tell, there's no new YtKs chapter listed in the most recent issue of Wings (Feb 2020 issue) that released at the end of December. Looks like we'll have to wait a couple of months more. :/ Your best bet at the moment is to keep an eye on Takashima's Twitter, as she usually makes a fuss if there's an upcoming chapter.

last edited at Jan 27, 2020 9:17PM

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

Just happily read vol.6 (Seven Seas' release is out!) and as spoiler-free as possible, it features:

• MORE SHADING!
  • More DETAILED background, now with better continuity*!
  • A few wholly RE-DRAWN pannels / pages <3
  • Aaaaaand ...the chapter Kase-san and Birthday is a few pages LONGER than in the WINGS release :D [!no spoilers >.<]

So, go ahead and buy it and support Takashima, my fellow Kase-lovers~

((* ..tiny details, like in Kase's dorm room the bed-rails in the wings-release randomly changed from 2 bars to 3, which is fixed now. Not sure anyone really noticed that before, but personally I do appreciate the effort - authors that keep working to constantly better themselves are always appreciated ^.^ ))

last edited at Feb 13, 2020 7:03PM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

No word on Wings April 2020 issue lineup yet, but Takashima's released a little twitter comic to tide us over. (Translation soon)
https://twitter.com/hiromi_gko/status/1231207285700976640

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

The uselessness never stops...

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

No way, that was too short, gimme more please.

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

That was cute we’re back on track

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

The uselessness never stops...

No!
I call bs on that.
They have confessed their love to each other, and confirmed it. They have started going out. They have kissed, many times. They have made out. And they have had sex.

Call them whatever you want, but not useless.

Useless, my sweet babies Kase and Yamada sure ain't.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Haha as a lower-bunk occupier when I was a kid I had done the same thing.

To reply you must either login or sign up.