Forum › The Wife-to-Be discussion

123548.320x180
joined Aug 7, 2013

GO TO EUROPE! GO TO NORTH EUROPE! Even the priests around here are gay.. Openly so.

Or just deny your preference for the rest of your miserable life and live in constant pain unless you manage to brainwash yourself.
Plus, when i look at this from my perspective as the straight guy i am.. I wouldn't wanna be married to that woman unless she could put on ONE HELL of a stone face and fool me that she's interested in me.
But i guess Japanese still do this pointless shit that is arranged marriage.

This oneshot irritated the liberal and equality seeking north European soul inside of me.

last edited at Sep 20, 2015 12:04AM

joined Jun 5, 2015

what the hell...this is some schematic NTR or something? she still curse and hurt her till the end with her poisoned love

joined Sep 21, 2014

Ugh!! My heart! Now I have go read something happy

56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

That is the reality of life...

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Urgh.
It still hurts. It's wonderfully written, the pacing is just right.
How convenient to be listening to some song with "I would have liked to hold your hand a bit longer" as the chorus
Feelings are out of to get me

THKS FR TH MMRS by Fall out Boy

last edited at Mar 6, 2016 8:10PM

Little Bits Of Mini
Josuke
joined Nov 8, 2013

I hate Yuri stories like this, too damn disheartening. Really hate it when the other girl says they love the friend, then they run off to get married to some dude... Such bull crap :L

Asasa
joined Nov 20, 2015

The last line is very cruel...
She doesnt need to add that.. Cruel..

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

I just want to say that while my initial reaction from this one-shot was very rage fueled, re-reading this caused me quite a lot of heartbreak. I don't think any other one-shot has elicited this much sadness from me, and I surmise that's because the kind of pain that this manga evoked can't be done if it wasn't yuri. I imagine that if this was het it wouldn't nearly have the same amount of impact, and I suspect this is because the fact that this was yuri made it so that even though a lot of aspects of their relationships weren't divulged to the reader, any long time yuri reader would be able to make their own inferences as to what lead to the current situation of the story, which in my case made it all the more painful. It also doesn't help that the girl leaving was pretty cruel in how she handled her departure, along with how the last page showed that they had a happy relationship that was mentioned to have lasted for more than 4 years.

In short: I think the fact that it was yuri was what made it so heartbreaking in the first place, and that the more you know of the tropes in yuri manga the bigger the impact it will have.

Just my two cents though, I'd love to hear what other people's take on this is. Not really sure if I liked it or not, but it definitely made me an emotional wreck. Gonna need a bucketful of fluff and then some to move on. Again.

last edited at Apr 12, 2016 12:47PM

41e23cccf0ca615cf297fc03235ceb48
joined Jan 4, 2016

This was soo heart breaking. I hate that this is always a thing in Yuri, theres other ways to have babies.

Cf6a3677-15c1-4509-9ea7-f5ad06e26511
joined Nov 30, 2015

This is definitely one of the worst I've read...

Images%20(1)
joined Mar 26, 2014

Ahh.. Everytime I read this, it reminds me of my ex girlfriend and it breaks my heart. But I'm happy for her now that seeing her happy face with her new one. Pain and acceptance. Gdi I feel so lonely now.

Sans%20titre
joined Jan 25, 2017

I did not want to read that... Good one though

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

How can only a few pages make me this depressed?

last edited at Jun 9, 2017 3:54AM

Icon%20lily
joined Jan 20, 2015

"Hey, a woman's happiness lies in marriage, so I'm going to do that even though you're the one I love. And I love you so much that I'm going to rub it in any step of the way tee-hee!" Just because something elicits an emotion doesn't mean it's well written. The character acts like she is from space and only vaguely familiar with human emotion and the message this sends is reprehensible. And this won an award in 2011. Thanks for reminding me of this piece of shit, now I have to clean the palate with something.

It might have won an award simply because of the emotion it fills people with. That's no easy task
It takes something pretty powerful to make me get invested in a story

It's also relatable to a lot of people
I'd also say the slow burn was handled quite well for a huge pay off

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

"Hey, a woman's happiness lies in marriage, so I'm going to do that even though you're the one I love. And I love you so much that I'm going to rub it in any step of the way tee-hee!" Just because something elicits an emotion doesn't mean it's well written. The character acts like she is from space and only vaguely familiar with human emotion and the message this sends is reprehensible. And this won an award in 2011. Thanks for reminding me of this piece of shit, now I have to clean the palate with something.

It might have won an award simply because of the emotion it fills people with. That's no easy task

Except I'm not invested in the story or the characters since there's not a hell of a lot of depth to either. Upset at the cultural assumptions behind the story. Annoyed at the author for shrugging and going "well, it's sad but that's how things work" without really taking a stance either way. Irritated that the whole thing was so bloodless about it.

That's an emotional reaction, sure. But not the sort of thing an author should be shooting for unless they're doing clickbait.

Also, what huge pay off? That the other girl gives lip service to loving the other girl, and then just blithely walks off to marry some dude for....some reason? There's nothing presented in the story to indicate that she really means it. There's no emotional weight to it at all.

joined Mar 7, 2012

I love this story, and think that it deserves the award it got. Too many people on this forum get upset (or write posts that imply that they're upset, which for all intents and purposes on an online discussion board is the same thing) just because a story didn't play out the way they wanted it to. Throwing around pejoratives like "poorly written", "no emotional weight", etc. is easy. We don't know the reasons for Momo getting married, but it's clear to me from her facial expressions and actions that it's not "lip service" when she says she loves Kou. She asks Kou if it's really okay that they're holding hands (supported below), even though they broke up and Momo is marrying someone else. She refrains from wearing her new engagement ring because she thinks Kou might be sad to see it. These are not the actions of an attention-seeker, or someone who would want to get a rise out of Kou.

The lack of directional indicators for the chat bubbles on page 9 make it a little unclear who is asking if it's okay to hold hands. But if Kou didn't want to hold hands, she wouldn't. She threw away her ring and other memorabilia of their relationship, and destroyed the marriage registration form. She also rejects Momo's attempt at a kiss one page later. Clearly she has no problem performing actions that convey the message that she's moved on and accepted this. Therefore she's okay with holding hands, which leads me to believe that Momo is the one asking if it's okay. Momo is still concerned for Kou's feelings, and doesn't want to hurt her any more than necessary.

Kou is an interesting character to me as well. Kou isn't hostile or angry. She doesn't say "Oh I forgot to rip up that marriage registration form we filled out four years ago". Instead she keeps it a secret, saying she forgot her cell phone. We find out that's a lie, since the marriage form is sitting in a random drawer in the middle of the room, where nobody would keep their cell phone. Did she not want to start a fight? Or did she not want to make Momo sad? She's on good enough terms with Momo to keep talking with her and hold hands, so I'm inclined to believe she doesn't think Momo's actions were spiteful.

Kou is a woman of few words. We don't get much of an inner monologue in this one-shot; only two lines.
On p.5, "Momo-chan is getting married next week." No judgment, anger, or sadness. It's plain that this breakup and Momo's upcoming marriage is something inevitable and something Kou has come to accept. This terse line, combined with her ripping up the marriage form and throwing away the possessions of their old relationship, comes off as Momo trying to convince us that she she doesn't care about Momo anymore, and that she has no emotions about this turn of events.
On p.17-18, "Goodbye. Goodbye, Momo-chan. Thanks for the happy memories. Farewell." This is the emotional goodbye that she wanted to say but didn't. This line and Kou's tears show us that she's not "over it" at all. But even though she's heartbroken and obviously still in pain, she doesn't resent Momo. She gives no indication that she thinks Momo is lying about loving her. She's sad, but she understands that it's okay to be sad. She can be sad and thankful at the same time because their happiness together was real, even if it's over now. I'm not usually a fan of the narrative summary/theme text in Yuri-Hime shorts, but "Even this heartache is dear to me" works well in this one.

So I strongly disagree with people who say things like "one of the worst I've read", "not a hell of a lot of depth", and other things to make themselves feel better after reading a sad story. Manga is a visual medium; not everything has to be spelled out in chat bubbles. Otherwise no short manga could have "a lot of depth", which is patently untrue. You weren't invested? Fine. You didn't like it? Fine. But insinuating that the author was trying to elicit irritation and annoyance is way off-base. They managed to reach many peoples' hearts, and apparently one of them was the head of an award committee.

Also I really like the title. At first glance it appears to refer to Momo, who is the one getting married in a week. But when we see the marriage registration form, the one indicated in the "wife-to-be" column is Kou.

I love this story.

joined Feb 23, 2016

My heart (TДT )

joined Dec 19, 2016

You know what pisses me off, for Momo, it seems like it was just a game to her. Kou deserves someone much better because Momo is an awful person.

Rsz_1465926231839
joined Jun 24, 2015

Well that was stupid. Wtf? Was it an arranged marriage type of thing? And if so, it just goes to show that Japan still has a ways to go before they leave third world status

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

I've read this one before..I knew this was depressing but still read anyway..now I had a feeling I'm a low-key massochist..xD

_1438592412698
joined Aug 31, 2015

This is excellent. A one shot that says it all.

DynastyMaker
Icon%20lily
joined Jan 20, 2015

Except I'm not invested in the story or the characters since there's not a hell of a lot of depth to either. Upset at the cultural assumptions behind the story. Annoyed at the author for shrugging and going "well, it's sad but that's how things work" without really taking a stance either way. Irritated that the whole thing was so bloodless about it.

That's an emotional reaction, sure. But not the sort of thing an author should be shooting for unless they're doing clickbait.

Also, what huge pay off? That the other girl gives lip service to loving the other girl, and then just blithely walks off to marry some dude for....some reason? There's nothing presented in the story to indicate that she really means it. There's no emotional weight to it at all.

To elaborate further

And it's been a while since i read the story, it's grim realistic tone stands out
There's not much of an explanation about why the characters are separating, but they clearly hold affection for each other

The light-haired girl is particular, holds a mask of indifference the whole story
- not wearing her ring
- throwing out all her things
- refusing to get close

Once she hears the "I love you". She finally allows herself to cry

joined Mar 15, 2017

Old thread, but regarding the award this got:

YH, like many magazines, holds contests where people can submit work. This is for the sake of finding new talent for the magazine. There are several levels of prize that can potentially be awarded. The prize this got was the lowest level, which was worth 50,000 yen. That level doesn't even automatically mean the work gets put in the magazine. A manga can get it without being deemed good enough to release for readers to see.

In that cycle of the contest, there was another entry that earned the lowest level prize, but that manga didn't get printed. However, the teenager who made it debuted in YH with a different one-shot, and she went on to have a career doing manga for YH. Now she has the 7th volume of her current series coming out in a few days.

There was one more prize winning entry. That one got the 2nd lowest level prize, worth 100,000 yen.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

"The worst stab wound is the one to the heart. Sure, most people survive it, but the heart is never quite the same. There's always a scar, which I guess, is meant to remind you that even for a little while, someone made your heart beat faster. And that's a scar you can live with, proudly. All the days of your life." Augustus Hill

__ex_keine_kamishirasawa_keine_and_kamishirasawa_keine_touhou_drawn_by_rebecca_keinelove__dac6b62f1c1ee61618ab14504ccd5a1b
joined May 30, 2018

This is the sequel to https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/getting_used_to_being_friends aint it? Should the tags be added?

To reply you must either login or sign up.