Forum › Posts by Marberry

joined Mar 7, 2012

Lovely. But does the title page say there’s a third one between this one and the first? I can’t seem to find it.

joined Mar 7, 2012

"This is my first time meeting my niece since her birth"

Niece is in fifth year of elementary school

Wait, MC hasn't seen her niece in 10 years?

Marberry
joined Mar 7, 2012

I'll be honest here, for the life of me I can't see the yuri in this one. It's fun to read and all, but neither of them seem the least bit attracted to each other. Or any other girl for that matter.

What am I missing here?

Sometimes yuri really is just about gals being pals.

Besides, the daughter's confused feelings seem to hint that she was hoping for more.

Just like us.

Marberry
joined Mar 7, 2012

Everything about the final scene is arranged to make that as clear as it needs to be

Agreed. This board is full of people who never learned how to read between the lines, and forget that narrative can exist outside of dialogue.

Then they make up reasons to justify their opinion, like "The characters are not fleshed out enough", or "The author's other works [with more explicitly happy ends] were better written".

Manga is a visual medium, people. Things are not always explicitly spelled out for you because you are expected to put some modicum of thought into your consumption.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 1:25PM

Marberry
joined Mar 7, 2012

In the end she says "This weekend, I'll buy a new jewelry box. But one without a lock is fine."

To me that implies happy yuri end. She's not going to hide her feelings from her friend who wants to stay with her forever, which tells me her friend accepted her feelings.

Edit: Also Fuwako is wiping away Arisa's tears in the last panel ( Fuwako is shown about to reach out in the previous panel). That's gay af.

last edited at Mar 20, 2019 11:00AM

Marberry
joined Mar 7, 2012

Everything is nice and fluffy and will stay that way forever.

Marberry
joined Mar 7, 2012

33 chapters and no kiss isn't fine. For all we know they never actually got together after Yuzumori grew up and realized that she wasn't gay after all.

Yuri couples who kiss never have sad endings.

It's useless to speculate about how things turn out after the manga ends. For all we know, one of them got cancer and died.

It would be inappropriate for Mimika to kiss Yuzumori when she was too young, and it would be inappropriate for the author to have a time skip of over a decade (especially for only one chapter).

This ending was as happy as you're gonna get in a loli story.

Marberry
joined Mar 7, 2012

Oh my God teenagers are so dumb.

Props to Momono Moto because it's actually believable for high schoolers to pull this kind of stunt, but I am so mad at this fictional character.

joined Mar 7, 2012

This is a masterpiece

Marberry
joined Mar 7, 2012

I need my stories to spell everything out for me and that's the author's fault somehow. Who needs visual language in a visual medium? More on the nose please!

This 100%. It didn't turn out the way I wanted; I didn't get it; and the author didn't focus enough on elements that I wanted them to. Instead, they wrote and drew it the way they intended. So it must be bad.

Marberry
Spice Girls discussion 15 Nov 18:53
joined Mar 7, 2012

Ohsawa Yayoi did it again. Another great one by one of the greats.

Marberry
Double Bind discussion 31 Oct 23:30
joined Mar 7, 2012

This forum tends to get upset at works that aren't perfect fluffy love stories, and tends to be quick to conflate things they dislike with things that are badly written. I think Ohsawa Yayoi nailed this one. Love isn't always a good feeling.

Marberry
joined Mar 7, 2012

A brilliant work. The ending was great and adding more "plot points" to tie up "loose ends" would only dilute the emotional impact of the carefully scripted dialogue and panels.

Marberry
joined Mar 7, 2012

I love this story, and think that it deserves the award it got. Too many people on this forum get upset (or write posts that imply that they're upset, which for all intents and purposes on an online discussion board is the same thing) just because a story didn't play out the way they wanted it to. Throwing around pejoratives like "poorly written", "no emotional weight", etc. is easy. We don't know the reasons for Momo getting married, but it's clear to me from her facial expressions and actions that it's not "lip service" when she says she loves Kou. She asks Kou if it's really okay that they're holding hands (supported below), even though they broke up and Momo is marrying someone else. She refrains from wearing her new engagement ring because she thinks Kou might be sad to see it. These are not the actions of an attention-seeker, or someone who would want to get a rise out of Kou.

The lack of directional indicators for the chat bubbles on page 9 make it a little unclear who is asking if it's okay to hold hands. But if Kou didn't want to hold hands, she wouldn't. She threw away her ring and other memorabilia of their relationship, and destroyed the marriage registration form. She also rejects Momo's attempt at a kiss one page later. Clearly she has no problem performing actions that convey the message that she's moved on and accepted this. Therefore she's okay with holding hands, which leads me to believe that Momo is the one asking if it's okay. Momo is still concerned for Kou's feelings, and doesn't want to hurt her any more than necessary.

Kou is an interesting character to me as well. Kou isn't hostile or angry. She doesn't say "Oh I forgot to rip up that marriage registration form we filled out four years ago". Instead she keeps it a secret, saying she forgot her cell phone. We find out that's a lie, since the marriage form is sitting in a random drawer in the middle of the room, where nobody would keep their cell phone. Did she not want to start a fight? Or did she not want to make Momo sad? She's on good enough terms with Momo to keep talking with her and hold hands, so I'm inclined to believe she doesn't think Momo's actions were spiteful.

Kou is a woman of few words. We don't get much of an inner monologue in this one-shot; only two lines.
On p.5, "Momo-chan is getting married next week." No judgment, anger, or sadness. It's plain that this breakup and Momo's upcoming marriage is something inevitable and something Kou has come to accept. This terse line, combined with her ripping up the marriage form and throwing away the possessions of their old relationship, comes off as Momo trying to convince us that she she doesn't care about Momo anymore, and that she has no emotions about this turn of events.
On p.17-18, "Goodbye. Goodbye, Momo-chan. Thanks for the happy memories. Farewell." This is the emotional goodbye that she wanted to say but didn't. This line and Kou's tears show us that she's not "over it" at all. But even though she's heartbroken and obviously still in pain, she doesn't resent Momo. She gives no indication that she thinks Momo is lying about loving her. She's sad, but she understands that it's okay to be sad. She can be sad and thankful at the same time because their happiness together was real, even if it's over now. I'm not usually a fan of the narrative summary/theme text in Yuri-Hime shorts, but "Even this heartache is dear to me" works well in this one.

So I strongly disagree with people who say things like "one of the worst I've read", "not a hell of a lot of depth", and other things to make themselves feel better after reading a sad story. Manga is a visual medium; not everything has to be spelled out in chat bubbles. Otherwise no short manga could have "a lot of depth", which is patently untrue. You weren't invested? Fine. You didn't like it? Fine. But insinuating that the author was trying to elicit irritation and annoyance is way off-base. They managed to reach many peoples' hearts, and apparently one of them was the head of an award committee.

Also I really like the title. At first glance it appears to refer to Momo, who is the one getting married in a week. But when we see the marriage registration form, the one indicated in the "wife-to-be" column is Kou.

I love this story.

Marberry
Scape-God discussion 20 Aug 08:44
joined Mar 7, 2012

I never thought I'd see this name again.

And the ending is just as nonsensical as I could have hoped for a series like this.

Marberry
joined Mar 7, 2012

Ugh. What was this manga even about? No resolution, nothing changed since the beginning.

Marberry
Heart Gifts discussion 26 Dec 18:36
joined Mar 7, 2012

It's obviously some kind of sci-fi scenario, as AFAIK there are no portable artificial hearts yet that can be charged off the regular grid.

Yeah, yeah I'm sure Shiro is deathly allergic to mechanical hearts and this was the only way to save her.

I bet when they actually find a donor heart, they'll take give Kuro back her heart and give the new heart to Shiro for the double insurance billing.

Marberry
Heart Gifts discussion 26 Dec 04:25
joined Mar 7, 2012

Tag: Horror? You can't "give up" your perfectly functional heart to someone else. What kind of nightmare hospital would allow this? Now you have two patients instead of one.

joined Mar 7, 2012

Oh noooooo that poor octopus :(

joined Mar 7, 2012

Omg Oga and that girl are SO CUTE together! Better than the main couple, actually...

Marberry
Stretch discussion 07 Oct 18:18
joined Mar 7, 2012

Everyone figured out that she's moving away when she said she's moving away. What's not certain is why she's moving, nor when the decision to move was made. Maybe you missed all the messages going "WTF!? Why is she moving away? Why didn't we get any more indication than the bit about sorting clothes?" The fact that she's moving for work is still just speculation, three chapters later, and no idea if it's temporary or permanent since "coming back" could easily mean "coming back for a visit".

Yeah, I understand that we the readers are uncertain about some things. That's not equivalent with the author communicating poorly in his work. The minor details are irrelevant to the message he is communicating.

Why should we have gotten any more indication than the packing clothes? The style of storytelling in this manga isn't like a Hollywood movie, where exposition is laid out in a long paragraph for the reader to digest with their dinner mint. The characters aren't talking to the reader. If Shou had dedicated a whole chapter to some sappy "I'm moving away" conversation, it would have been a jarring departure from the style he's been using this whole time.

No idea if it's temporary or permanent? So we're in the same boat as Ran, then. We're not entitled to more information than her.

last edited at Oct 7, 2015 6:26PM

Marberry
Stretch discussion 07 Oct 09:03
joined Mar 7, 2012

Seriously, when you need Homestuck-level reading between the lines, parsing vague references and recalling details months after the fact, you're not communicating well. The last three chapters or so have been a case of Shou neither telling or showing, which he's usually been at least decent about throughout the rest of the series.

What exactly has been communicated poorly? Everyone seems to have figured out that Keiko's moving away because of work. Did people seriously want to see the re-breakup confrontation with the ex? This manga isn't even about that guy; it has always been pretty clearly about the relationship between Ran and Keiko (regardless of yuri). The only chapters that guy was even in was when Ran found out he was the guy and when Ran told Keiko how he still felt about her.

last edited at Oct 7, 2015 9:04AM

Marberry
Stretch discussion 01 Oct 00:27
joined Mar 7, 2012

Does Ran sleep like that?

......Oh, she's crying, isn't she.

Marberry
joined Mar 7, 2012

If you don't kiss me before I move, I'm going to die!

What the heck?

Kids say the darndest things...

Marberry
Up and Down discussion 07 May 10:08
joined Mar 7, 2012

Wait, I don't get it. How could she think the MC was door-to-door evangelist? Why would a door-to-door evangelist be going to college? It's at least the third time they've met by the time she asks the question.