Forum › A Story About Buying a Classmate Once a Week ~ 5,000 Yen for an Excuse to Spend Time Together discussion

6bdd5db0-262f-4a6a-a37a-3cbc8960c532
joined May 13, 2024

I chewed through the whole web novel a couple of months ago and completely forgot they were adapting it to manga.

While it's definitely not bad so far I can see it'll definitely be a struggle to adapt a story that mainly consists of internal monologues without losing what really makes their relationship compelling. There is so much that goes on in the little details of their actions that can't effectively be translated visually.
The art style makes Sendai seem like she's a much bubblier person than she really is with Miyagi, so I'm wondering how they're going to portray her "people pleaser" persona later on when she's consciously masking and it's not being filtered through Miyagi's perception of her. If they even get that far I guess.

I know right? Like, chapter 2 of the WN has a bunch of parts describing Sendai's increasing frustration and anger at Miyagi not accepting the leftover change. You can kinda sorta sense it on page 15, but not to the extent as described in the WN below:

...And besides, the fact that she thought I was the kind of person who would just be like, “Oh, sure, thanks!”, in response to keeping the change really got on my nerves.

「Ahh, whatever. Let’s just say I borrowed the change as well. I’ll just give it all back to you tomorrow.」

To be honest, I was really starting to get angry, but I held myself back.

If rumors of me yelling at someone else started circulating around at school, it’d only serve to ruin my image.

But we'll see either way, I have faith! I feel like they're almost certainly aware of such a problem. Anyway, maybe they could use more thought boxes for the internal monologues or something lmao

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

They can't adapt the internal rants of a LN in manga form. The format is totally different.

You can have a lot of introspection in a LN, but the heart of manga is dialogues. Too much exposition and tldr; and the manga gets axed.

joined Apr 10, 2023

Oh it's one of those rich people who no one loves, got it, hope it ends with rich girl still loveless.

That's praxis

joined Apr 10, 2023

They can't adapt the internal rants of a LN in manga form. The format is totally different.

You can have a lot of introspection in a LN, but the heart of manga is dialogues. Too much exposition and tldr; and the manga gets axed.

Sure you can, just look at Otherside Picnic. It's just kinda hard to make internal monologues in a manga not boring when they're not on a situation with more intensity than "this bitch gave me money and won't take it back >:/" lol. Otherside Picnic uses it's monologues to convey the feeling of experiencing alien, otherwise unknowable dramatic situations, like actually getting a girlfriend from Canada instead of having to make one up

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Sure you can, just look at Otherside Picnic. It's just kinda hard to make internal monologues in a manga not boring when they're not on a situation with more intensity than "this bitch gave me money and won't take it back >:/" lol. Otherside Picnic uses it's monologues to convey the feeling of experiencing alien, otherwise unknowable dramatic situations, like actually getting a girlfriend from Canada instead of having to make one up

I wouldn't mind internal monologues for a character drama like this personally.

Though I'm also fine without and am still enjoying this manga for what it is.

joined May 9, 2017

Adachi to Shimamura is another good example as well of good internal monologue in a manga.

Understanding those characters from their internal monologue is half the fun of this WN. It's also when characters are being honest (to the extend of the character being honest with themselves though). So missing on that is missing some of the most important parts imo.

last edited at Jun 30, 2024 9:00AM

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

I know right? Like, chapter 2 of the WN has a bunch of parts describing Sendai's increasing frustration and anger at Miyagi not accepting the leftover change. You can kinda sorta sense it on page 15, but not to the extent as described in the WN below:

...And besides, the fact that she thought I was the kind of person who would just be like, “Oh, sure, thanks!”, in response to keeping the change really got on my nerves.

「Ahh, whatever. Let’s just say I borrowed the change as well. I’ll just give it all back to you tomorrow.」

To be honest, I was really starting to get angry, but I held myself back.

If rumors of me yelling at someone else started circulating around at school, it’d only serve to ruin my image.

But we'll see either way, I have faith! I feel like they're almost certainly aware of such a problem. Anyway, maybe they could use more thought boxes for the internal monologues or something lmao

The manga seems much colder than the LN without the blow-by-blow recount of their internal states.

To be honest, I like this coldness. I like it when things are, but are left unsaid.

joined Jun 14, 2020

I think i like how this manga is panning out. when i read the light novel i felt frustrated how obvious their intentions are but its fresh to see really how elusive they acted towards each other. maybe it was only obvious from internal dialogue

joined Jan 14, 2020

maybe it was only obvious from internal dialogue

novel spoilers: I dunno, both characters are so self-unaware or self-dishonest that even with alternating first person POV, it's unclear -- even to themselves, apparently -- why they do much of what they do. Felt like it took a while for it to be clear "both their home lives suck, Miyagi's lonely and Sendai's is suffocating, so toxic dickery is actually an improvement for both of them." And then when things ramped up, well, Sendai was just starting to get a clue when the decent translation stopped.

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

A relationship built entirely upon malding and being lonely? More common than you think. Or maybe just as common. Depends on how pessimistic you are.

joined Jan 14, 2020

For those who were following the good LN translation, but didn't 'subscribe' to Wordpress, the translation has resumed, probably at a lower (less burnout) pace.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

That's actually a pretty logical way for it to have started. Way more natural than the regular old, approach them at school and offer them money plotline.

joined Jun 14, 2020

maybe it was only obvious from internal dialogue

novel spoilers: I dunno, both characters are so self-unaware or self-dishonest that even with alternating first person POV, it's unclear -- even to themselves, apparently -- why they do much of what they do. Felt like it took a while for it to be clear "both their home lives suck, Miyagi's lonely and Sendai's is suffocating, so toxic dickery is actually an improvement for both of them." And then when things ramped up, well, Sendai was just starting to get a clue when the decent translation stopped.

yeah i read the MTL one on story seedling, which actually wasnt that terrible compared to other ones i've seen lol. not sure if youre caught up but spoilers i guess? sendai makes sooooo much progress in developing feelings but she doesn't really say any of it out loud so I guess that's my concern? either way, reallllllllllly slow burn in light novel must translate to slow burn in manga

last edited at Jul 8, 2024 9:43PM

LackLustre09721
joined Apr 26, 2022

Ch 3 (⁠。⁠•́⁠︿⁠•̀⁠。⁠)

Screenshot_3
joined Jun 24, 2021

so i decided to read the web novel after discovering the manga here first, all the way until amawashi group's latest release, and i gotta say, it was pretty good. it's like adachi and shimamura but more dysfunctional and horny (and i guess they REALLY like biting eachother for some reason). in conclusion, this is amazing and i want more of it

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

so i decided to read the web novel after discovering the manga here first, all the way until amawashi group's latest release, and i gotta say, it was pretty good. it's like adachi and shimamura but more dysfunctional and horny (and i guess they REALLY like biting eachother for some reason). in conclusion, this is amazing and i want more of it

Good to see another person that feels Adachi and Shimamura makes for a decent comparison to Shuukura: https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/21510-comparing-arioto-and-buying-a-classmate-spoilers

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

"I'm not into the whole girl on girl thing!"

"Me neither!"

They said, lying badly

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

"I'm not into the whole girl on girl thing!"

"Me neither!"

They said, lying badly

I was about to say that. Lmao

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

I heard that Sendai and Miyagi are both Switch, I wonder if this is true? If so, does that mean this series has 18+ scenes?

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

I heard that Sendai and Miyagi are both Switch, I wonder if this is true? If so, does that mean this series has 18+ scenes?

probably more of a 15+ kind of deal (gets horny but doesn't go "she diddled her pussy with her fingie-wingies")

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

'If I refuse ...will you buy someone else?' 'No, I won't'

Miyagi you just lost your trump card

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

Kinda vague WN spoilers There have been a couple of sex scenes. Not graphic but still detailed and erotic. Neither of the characters have a defined "role" when having sex, so perhaps you could describe them as "switch" if you want. I simply consider them to have the "default" or "standard" approach to sex, where both partners give and receive pleasure.

last edited at Jul 24, 2024 11:19AM

6bdd5db0-262f-4a6a-a37a-3cbc8960c532
joined May 13, 2024

It's half a chapter every month apparently? Is that normal? Hmmmmmm...

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I don't like when half chapters are released. They feel obviously incomplete (because they are, of course). I'd prefer it if they released a full chapter every two months, or shorter but complete chapters each month.

And before anyone jumps in to say this, I will be reading it every two months regardless, if this continues to be the case. I just think they're ruining the pace and make the series less enjoyable by doing this, so I'm not sure if this is a good call on the publisher's side.

LackLustre09721
joined Apr 26, 2022

IT'S FINALLY HERE ༼⁠;⁠´⁠༎ຶ⁠ ⁠۝ ⁠༎ຶ⁠༽

To reply you must either login or sign up.