Forum › Stupid Woman 26:00 discussion

joined Feb 1, 2021

"You're the only one who can protect your own ass."

Words to live by right there.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Welp, the driving question of this manga is shaping up to be: which of the two leads the title refers to? It would be much easier if it were a plural (see Idiot couple)...

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

This shit is just what I need to fill the gap in my heart that "Killing Eve" left behind.

joined May 10, 2021

This is very damn promising.
And also, flushable ass wetwipes are a necessity.
Thanks for the chapter!

joined Jul 26, 2023

Love everything about this

joined Apr 10, 2023

Welp, the driving question of this manga is shaping up to be: which of the two leads the title refers to? It would be much easier if it were a plural (see Idiot couple)...

For the first chapter it was easy: Atsuko kept calling Yuri "stupid woman" and they were meeting at a dinner at 2am. I dunno if that title meaning will evolve though.

Also I love the way Yuri is drawn, can totally get Atsuko's attachment to her in spite of the personality incompatibilities lol

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

To be honest, in Japanese, the title "Baka Onna" is ambiguous and may apply to both. Could be "Stupid Woman" or "Stupid Women". If there wasn't already an English title, I probably would have used "Stupid Women".

But, the official English title, on the Japanese cover itself, is "Stupid Woman" (singular) as you can see.

It could be a case of the Japanese editor not really caring about the meaning of the English title, but I'm not going to change it.

Also, I'm not sure of the meaning of 26:00 (yet).

last edited at Jun 23, 2024 2:11AM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

To be honest, in Japanese, the title "Baka Onna" is ambiguous and may apply to both. Could be "Stupid Woman" or "Stupid Women". If there wasn't already an English title, I probably would have used "Stupid Women".

But, the official English title, on the Japanese cover itself, is "Stupid Woman" (singular) as you can see.

It could be a case of the Japanese editor not really caring about the meaning of the English title, but I'm not going to change it.

I think a person could interpret it as both protags thinking of the other as a "stupid woman". So it applies to both as that's what they think of each other.

Pfp2
joined Jan 11, 2022

Really interesting! Thanks for the TL

Moddedpolka2
joined Oct 9, 2016

Not usually my thing. But I must admit that I'm intrigued...

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Thanks for clarifying! I knew that Japanese language usually doesn't differentiate singular and plural, but since the original authors/editors have picked "woman" as the official English title, I agree that it's better to just stick with it.

I like @Gabinomicon's theory that their initial meeting at the diner in chapter 1 took place at 2 am, which can be written as 26:00 in the 24-hour time notation, if one is really, really fancy. I couldn't find if it's explicitly spelled out anywhere in the chapter, but it's clearly night outside when they talk, an early morning (sunrise) when the ride out to the airport, and Atsuko falls asleep as soon as they are on the plane, having stayed awake through the night, so 2 am would fit.

In other words, the title could be creatively interpreted as Two Useless Lesbians Meeting Up At 2 AM.

last edited at Jun 23, 2024 7:52AM

joined Sep 27, 2017

I like @Gabinomicon's theory that their initial meeting at the diner in chapter 1 took place at 2 am, which can be written as 26:00 in the 24-hour time notation, if one is really, really fancy. I couldn't find if it's explicitly spelled out anywhere in the chapter, but it's clearly night outside when they talk, an early morning (sunrise) when the ride out to the airport, and Atsuko falls asleep as soon as they are on the plane, having stayed awake through the night, so 2 am would fit.

In other words, the title could be creatively interpreted as Two Useless Lesbians Meeting Up At 2 AM.

That makes sense to me, I've heard it's not uncommon for places in Japan that stay open past Midnight to start going into 25, 26, and so fourth with their open hours.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

This is interesting. The one thing I don't quite get is, why are they running away? The wife would be a suspect, but she didn't do it and has a strong alibi. The girl who actually did it, there's no reason she would be a suspect. I mean, just try floating the theory as a cop:

"OK, hear me out here--What if it was some woman who doesn't know the guy and barely knows his wife, and she murdered him either out of a sense of justice for the abuse the wife is suffering that we don't know about, or out of a twisted attraction based on a kind of sexuality we'd prefer to pretend doesn't exist?"
"Uh, OK. Ah, do any of the possible bare acquaintances have histories of violence or extreme senses of justice or lesbianism?"
"No, but--"
"Soooo, that co-worker said he had a mistress; have we scoped that out yet?"

Their chances of getting away with it by just carrying on normally are very strong. On the other hand, if they run, that's like admitting guilt and the long arm of the law will be looking for them and trying for extradition if it finds them. Their chances become . . . fair. Plus they have to try to start their lives over from scratch. How is this a good option, aside from "it lets the story happen"?

joined Apr 10, 2023

This is interesting. The one thing I don't quite get is, why are they running away? The wife would be a suspect, but she didn't do it and has a strong alibi. The girl who actually did it, there's no reason she would be a suspect. I mean, just try floating the theory as a cop:

"OK, hear me out here--What if it was some woman who doesn't know the guy and barely knows his wife, and she murdered him either out of a sense of justice for the abuse the wife is suffering that we don't know about, or out of a twisted attraction based on a kind of sexuality we'd prefer to pretend doesn't exist?"
"Uh, OK. Ah, do any of the possible bare acquaintances have histories of violence or extreme senses of justice or lesbianism?"
"No, but--"

Their chances of getting away with it by just carrying on normally are very strong. On the other hand, if they run, that's like admitting guilt and the long arm of the law will be looking for them and trying for extradition if it finds them. Their chances become . . . fair. Plus they have to try to start their lives over from scratch. How is this a good option, aside from "it lets the story happen"?

Sometimes you just really want to go to Vietnam with your gay high school crush and can't be bothered worrying how that'll make you look to the cops. I think Chappell Roan has a song like that.

joined Sep 27, 2017

"No, but--"

I think one thing is that they don't really seem to have very involved lives in Japan? So just leaving isn't that big of a deal for them. At least that's the impression I got, I could be forgetting something however.

Alternatively the simpler answer, this series isn't named "Smart Woman" :P

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Alternatively the simpler answer, this series isn't named "Smart Woman" :P

Point. :D

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

God this would have been a stellar oneshot if it were only chapter 1 and left it at that. But I ain't complainin' about more.

To reply you must either login or sign up.