Forum › My Dear Lass discussion

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

This little "brother" has titties, I wonder what type of explanation we'll get next chapter

They don't though? At best it's ambiguous, considering clothing detailing etc.

Yeah I'm not seeing the "titties". The brother looks a bit androgynous, in part due to clothing. That's about the only thing that really comes to mind when I think about it, but it's nothing surprising to me as there's a lot of variety to how people dress and look. I was only surprised by the brother announcement because I'm so used to new character introductions in romance series revolving around drama, love rivals, EXs, and so fourth. So my surprise wasn't over the "brother" part and more so that the new character is family haha

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_dear_lass_ch54#7 here is where it most suggests that? two dark contour lines and the way the light falls in the rendering of the color of their top suggests something there. regardless.

I'm not convinced of this discussion that we shouldnt categorize or impute transness tbh. The idea that gender binary, or at least portions identifiably "Western", of it, are an import, which by extension means misogyny/patriarchy with all the consequence that has upon transfeminine individuals? just doesnt accurately describe many many situations. I get specific terminology doesn't map one to one. but the mechanisms of transmisogyny aren't so disparate. I can show you thousands of women in the western sphere. who on account of transmisogyny, cede their claims to womanhood in the public eye in varying degrees, whether its due to filial pressures or greater societal ones ( the family has long ceased to have been "private"). I mean for fucks sake i rarely correct strangers these days. Like very clearly, the story itself is acknowledging the regime of heterosexuality that yes, is present in China. very clearly an observable fact!! queer and trans people don't fit the measure, it's been underpinning Xingyuan's character for a long time now! I'd love if it shook out to be a transmasc character but like the narrative trope in their introduction is still "wow you sure were fooled by everything about their presentation, from the way they looked and spoke, you were wrong, haha it's a boy actually" is not great. it is in fact falling on transmisogynistic tropes.

Continued:

again i'll say that i trust this author a lot. that said. its not outside the scope for anybody to drop the ball and default to the impulse of transmisogyny. maybe its 1 misstep in the grand scheme of this portrayal, but its still there and its still a warranted criticism

I'm not really sure if you're directing what you're saying at me specifically or if you're making more general statements. As I'm saying I'm not really seeing the breasts my self, art can be tricky to define, and I'm not thinking about the character's gender all that much, outside of the passing thought that the brother looks a bit androgynous to me. My main point was that my initial comment where I was surprised about the new character being a brother was more so specifically that the new character is family. I would have been equally surprised if the character was a sister or any other family relation.

Though I do feel like your comment is in some way meant to correct me and you're angry with me. I don't feel the need to defend myself or apologize as I don't think I've said anything wrong, rude, or offensive. I'm presently going along with the story and seeing how things unfold, I don't have any real assumptions about where things will go from here. Maybe the brother is transgender, maybe the brother is just her brother and that's how the brother looks. I just figure we'll see what happens but I'm not thinking too hard about it myself. All I can say in closing is that I hope if the brother is transgender that the author handles it well.

last edited at May 13, 2024 5:07PM

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

i was more reffering back to the general discussion around this character being "dont claim this is transgender/dont categorize this person" than you specifically

last edited at May 13, 2024 5:10PM

joined Sep 27, 2017

i was more reffering back to the general discussion around this character than you specifically

Fair enough, have a nice day

joined Apr 10, 2023

i was more reffering back to the general discussion around this character being "dont claim this is transgender/dont categorize this person" than you specifically

Dunno if some posts got deleted or something but I'm not seeing anyone saying anything like that here. I've certainly seen it happen plenty of times on this forum, most recently with "The Guy I Liked Wasn't A Guy At All" and people being weirdly aggro towards anyone with a trans interpretation of Mitsuki. But I've not seen anything like that for My Dear Lass.

Also if you interpret the character's physical depiction as having a more feminine silhouette (and I do at least) then it poses a question about which of these is more likely:
1) a transfem kid in China got HRT but her queer family members do not respect her gender identity, or
2) a transmasc kid in China does not yet have access to any sort of transition care but his queer family members at least respect that he's a little brother instead of a little sister.

2 seems more plausible to me. But I think we'll probably find out the answer as soon as the next chapter is out, lol.

joined Sep 27, 2017

Dunno if some posts got deleted or something but I'm not seeing anyone saying anything like that here. I've certainly seen it happen plenty of times on this forum, most recently with "The Guy I Liked Wasn't A Guy At All" and people being weirdly aggro towards anyone with a trans interpretation of Mitsuki. But I've not seen anything like that for My Dear Lass.

Also if you interpret the character's physical depiction as having a more feminine silhouette (and I do at least) then it poses a question about which of these is more likely:
1) a transfem kid in China got HRT but her queer family members do not respect her gender identity, or
2) a transmasc kid in China does not yet have access to any sort of transition care but his queer family members at least respect that he's a little brother instead of a little sister.

2 seems more plausible to me. But I think we'll probably find out the answer as soon as the next chapter is out, lol.

I don't think there's any comments that have been deleted discussing the recent chapter, at least not to my knowledge anyhow.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

just other off site discussions around this as well.

Lbeingrllygay
36002568_1838354376215521_8722944858664206336_n
joined Jan 21, 2019

hehehe :3

Export202201160511213540
joined Jan 10, 2022

have i missed something? how can he be her brother if they don't have the same parents? (they're my mom and dad! page 2) or is this just another one of those confusing family terms in chinese? like everyone calls mu xiaoen grand-aunt, even if she's not everyone's grand-aunt.

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

yeah little bro definitely has tits in this chapter lol

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Such a fun chapter. Niu Xiao Yaang makes everything infinitely livelier.

have i missed something? how can he be her brother if they don't have the same parents? (they're my mom and dad! page 2) or is this just another one of those confusing family terms in chinese? like everyone calls mu xiaoen grand-aunt, even if she's not everyone's grand-aunt.

Good catch. Good question.

last edited at Jun 2, 2024 7:01AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Little brothers are the worst. And the best.

hausenmaster
Kidsbeingkidscats2
joined Jan 19, 2015

little brothers are the best

joined Jun 3, 2014

yeah little bro definitely has tits in this chapter lol

it's femboy magic

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Now that was a funny chapter; shade was flyin'. Good word play, too, especially the "pain in the 'nec'." Wonder how many (US) folks know of nectarines anymore?

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

I know about nectarines. They come to my office every once in a while as part a Fruit of The Month gift subscription. Definitely better than the grapefruit that makes up like half the fruit most months.

Ok so I've been confused about "grand-aunt" stuff ever since one of the early chapters when Mu Xiaoen said she was "2 generations older" than Xingyuan.

Specifically from this chapter there's this speech bubble from little bro:

Mu Xiaoen's the town's grand-aunt, so based on generational order, you all should be calling me grand-uncle

It makes so little sense to me that it might as well still be in untranslated Chinese. Could anyone lend me helping hand?

kenkyokitsune Uploader
Xiao
The Golden Orchid
joined May 4, 2021

Please note that after some discussion, we've decided to reverse the orthographic standards for aesthetic purposes.

last edited at Jun 25, 2024 2:51AM

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

joke's on you Yunduo, you're literally in a Chinese cartoon and don't know it

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Must. Hug.

Noodlerama001
joined Feb 24, 2023

“You’re annoying and a burden because you visit your parents for the summer” who thinks like this???

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

“You’re annoying and a burden because you visit your parents for the summer” who thinks like this???

Parents?

Noodlerama001
joined Feb 24, 2023

Parents?

Parents aren’t all the same but you’d think the majority of them would WANT to see their kid come down from college during summer to spend time with them, including holidays and stuff. I just never heard the sentiment “stay away, don’t visit, youre bothersome” unless it’s the child themselves putting distance between them

And it’s not even the parents saying this just a random family friend who dropped that out of nowhere, so it’s just like? Okay? Thanks for your rude ass opinion, didn’t ask, lmao

last edited at Jun 25, 2024 8:18AM

joined Mar 18, 2016

Okay guys, I've been seeing a lot of confusion here about familial dynamics and naming so your resident Vietnamese reader is here to clear things up.

The new character is not literally the younger brother of our quirky love interest. This is further evidenced by the surnames being different (Mu Xiaoen vs Niu Xiaoyang). Even if I've got the surnames wrong, recall this page please https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_dear_lass_ch55#3

For many asian languages, the honorifics are based in generational differences. There's a specific honorific for people in the same generation but older, same generation but younger, (depending on the language these might have gendered differences too), generation as your parents older than your parent (this is thought as one generation up) generation as your parent that is related to the person being addressed and on and on. It's a complex hierarchy but the rough translations for the two above instances are brother/sister for same generation and aunt/uncle for generation above---even if you're not actually related or if they're actually a cousin. If y'all want more examples or clarification for this part just lmk.

On to the Great Aunt confusion. Because Peachtown is small, rural, and highly interconnected, their hierarchy is likely based on the linealogy of the founder or very high ranking member of the town. That high ranking member essentially gets a generation boost in honorifics and his offspring and their offspring subsequently do as well. This is why the characters specified in Peachtown, Mu Xiaoen is great aunt to the young ones.

I suspect there are more complex reasons why Niu Xiaoyang was not well recieved in Peachtown who recieves everyone and I'm sure the author will reveal in due time. For now, I'm enjoying the pretty art and gay girls.

last edited at Jun 25, 2024 8:43AM

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Parents?

Parents aren’t all the same but you’d think the majority of them would WANT to see their kid come down from college during summer to spend time with them, including holidays and stuff. I just never heard the sentiment “stay away, don’t visit, youre bothersome” unless it’s the child themselves putting distance between them

And it’s not even the parents saying this just a random family friend who dropped that out of nowhere, so it’s just like? Okay? Thanks for your rude ass opinion, didn’t ask, lmao

I'm questioning whether we can say these are Xiaoyang's parents. The way everyone is reacting (including Xiayong) doesn't seem to suggest this is home for Xiaoyang and Xiaoyang seems to be using Mommy and Daddy as nicknames more than anything. Has Xiaoyang ever said just "mom" or "dad?"

Okay guys, I've been seeing a lot of confusion here about familial dynamics and naming so your resident Vietnamese reader is here to clear things up.

The new character is not literally the younger brother of our quirky love interest. This is further evidenced by the surnames being different (Mu Xiaoen vs Niu Xiaoyang). Even if I've got the surnames wrong, recall this page please https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_dear_lass_ch55#3

For many asian languages, the honorifics are based in generational differences. There's a specific honorific for people in the same generation but older, same generation but younger, (depending on the language these might have gendered differences too), generation as your parents older than your parent (this is thought as one generation up) generation as your parent that is related to the person being addressed and on and on. It's a complex hierarchy but the rough translations for the two above instances are brother/sister for same generation and aunt/uncle for generation above---even if you're not actually related or if they're actually a cousin. If y'all want more examples or clarification for this part just lmk.

On to the Great Aunt confusion. Because Peachtown is small, rural, and highly interconnected, their hierarchy is likely based on the linealogy of the founder or very high ranking member of the town. That high ranking member essentially gets a generation boost in honorifics and his offspring and their offspring subsequently do as well. This is why the characters specified in Peachtown, Mu Xiaoen is great aunt to the young ones.

I suspect there are more complex reasons why Niu Xiaoyang was not well recieved in Peachtown who recieves everyone and I'm sure the author will reveal in due time. For now, I'm enjoying the pretty art and gay girls.

Thanks for this. Good timing!

last edited at Jun 25, 2024 8:51AM

joined Apr 10, 2023

It's clear he's not biologically related but Mu Xiaoen's parents seem to accept him just fine as a guest at least, including snuggling on her mom, so he's obviously not just a stranger who's inserting himself into this family based on nothing. Yundao kinda comes across as being mean for no reason, claiming he's unwelcome here when at least for the parents he clearly seems to be accepted. She says "you don't make life easy for them" but since when is it the job of a needy child to make the lives of adults easier? Fuck off Yundao lol.

last edited at Jun 25, 2024 8:57AM

Noodlerama001
joined Feb 24, 2023

It's clear he's not biologically related but Mu Xiaoen's parents seem to accept him just fine as a guest at least, including snuggling on her mom, so he's obviously not just a stranger who's inserting himself into this family based on nothing. Yundao kinda comes across as being mean for no reason, claiming he's unwelcome here when at least for the parents he clearly seems to be accepted. She says "you don't make life easy for them" but since when is it the job of a needy child to make the lives of adults easier? Fuck off Yundao lol.

Basically, even with the knowledge they’re not related (really this whole character is just confusing I thought he was Xiaoxen’s little sister but he’s neither a girl or even related to her apparently despite looking exactly like her) it’s still just randomly out of pocket to drop on someone on college break and spending time with people that enjoy their company. But Yundao has always been extremely curt so he guess it’s not surprising

To reply you must either login or sign up.