Forum › Liar Satsuki Can See Death discussion

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So based on this criteria, I'd say Shiina is a Psychopath and Seo is a Sociopath, we see in the manga that Shiina has no issue holding a friend group and she easily slots herself in to Satsuki's when she joins the team. She also doesn't go out of her way to hurt people outside of her bullying.

Seo meanwhile doesn't have a lot of close friends and the people she hung out with actively despised her. She is also much more likely to give in to her violent urges, as we see with her multiple attempts to murder people throughout the story. She wants to hurt people and she's willing to go out of her way to see it happen.

Though I re-iterate, neither of these terms is really used in modern medical science and what I've presented here is a much abbreviated version, the actual definitions likely vary a bit and my analysis may not hold up under more thorough scrutiny.

An insightful analysis, thank you. :-)

Also, ch.78 on MD. Last panel on page 12: I think our cute psychopath is also shipping them at this point. ;-D Also, it seems we are finally getting to the Komachi Reveal.

joined Jun 3, 2014

Komachi kill yourself

Kohaku%20avatar%20500px
joined Jul 10, 2016

Itou still the best and the cutest.

elusivebutthole
001q2gaply1h533fjj99pj60sg148tgw02
joined Sep 11, 2021

i feel so bad for satsuki dude, she fr just wants to have friends

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

Also, ch.78 on MD. Last panel on page 12: I think our cute psychopath is also shipping them at this point. ;-D Also, it seems we are finally getting to the Komachi Reveal.

I was thinking it looked more like she was upset with Akira bumping in and taking Satsuki's spotlight off her. What tangled web of emotions lie within that upset could be anything, from minor annoyance to insane jealousy, I couldn't rightly claim.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Yay Komachi show your damn true colors already please.

joined May 29, 2022

Shiina mvp ngl. And yes comment above mine, it’s time Satsuki finds out koma koma true colors.

Although she might’ve had suspicions already like that time komaichi tryna kill her

last edited at Jan 26, 2024 11:18AM

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

I love that Shiina just says she blew up the gym and Satsuki's only reaction is "wow cool, you're amazing" like this girl cares about murder, she's here to make sure nobody dies.

But collateral damage who gives a shit amirite. Honestly really funny to me how little either Satsuki or Akira care about it especially considering how close to the blast they ended up being.

It's really cool to see as well that Shiina and Akira just tell Satsuki that she's a terrible liar because she IS, and it's a nice bookend for famous Liar Satsuki.

Also also "she just wants to tell you about bugs" AND??? what's so wrong with that?? hUH??? I believe in Itou supremacy!

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I love that Shiina just says she blew up the gym and Satsuki's only reaction is "wow cool, you're amazing" like this girl cares about murder, she's here to make sure nobody dies.

But collateral damage who gives a shit amirite. Honestly really funny to me how little either Satsuki or Akira care about it especially considering how close to the blast they ended up being.

It's really cool to see as well that Shiina and Akira just tell Satsuki that she's a terrible liar because she IS, and it's a nice bookend for famous Liar Satsuki.

Also also "she just wants to tell you about bugs" AND??? what's so wrong with that?? hUH??? I believe in Itou supremacy!

To be fair, blowing up the gym is pretty cool, I mean sure you could focus on the inherent tragedy of the Prez's death but who wants to do that when you can focus on boom boom instead?

pandapandapanda666
joined Nov 14, 2022

prediction for next chapter

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

An interesting twist might be that Komachi is the key to the chain-o-death spiral thingy.
Like the commenter suggests above, she might have to die to stop it?

joined Apr 10, 2023

I'm still expecting, or at least hoping, the whole fate angle to be the bullshit idea of a dead president. It would be so much less satisfying than the story being about people and their choices rather than some predestined outcomes assigned to them. But the storytelling has been a lot more shaky recently than it had in the past so maybe the author really will just retread Walk In Death.
Actually now that I think about it I liked Walk In Death but was disappointed by that ending too. The whole time I was reading it I was debating whether or not the story has a unique idea or if the author had just watched the Final Destination movies and got inspired, and the ending definitely pushed me to the latter conclusion (fun fact: the unique cursed birth they describe in that ending is something that happens all the time, it even happened to me when I was born, it's extremely silly how the author frames it).
Maybe Ryouko-sensei is just one of those authors who struggle with endings every time. If so I hope for their next manga they move the focus away from overarching mystery, since that's a genre that desperately needs satisfying endings. This manga's first half, where we didn't really have any overarching structure except a couple forgettable pages in the first chapter and Satsuki's personal life, was basically perfect. The introduction of the student council president dropped that quality and we've been slowly sliding downhill since. This is one of the rare cases where I'd prefer an endless serialization format rather than the shaky and distracting series plot. Let Satsuki and Akira be Sam and Dean type characters, give them a sequel where they get a cool car and drive across Japan telling people they're siblings while secretly being lovers and solving distinct mysteries in each town they visit. Supernatural, for as much of a joke as that series became (similarly due to its bad overarching plots (and killing Felicia Day)), would be a much better influence than Final Destination lol.

last edited at Jan 28, 2024 7:12AM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I finally caught up to this again, but I haven't read in so long that I think maybe I should have started over instead of continuing from where I stopped (I didn't remember much).

Maybe I'll reread from the start in a few days.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Komachi is upsettingly relatable

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Interesting that we have a new variation on the death eyes

It’s starting to remind of the nasuverse

joined Oct 19, 2023

Damn, Komachi's mom is a real one.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Damn, Komachi's mom is a real one.

I am not sure if she is the best parent in this story so far or the worst. On the one hand, she clearly loved Komachi above all (unlike a certain title character's dad). On the other, she has seriously messed with her head. On the third hand(?), what else was she supposed to do in the brief time she had left after discovering her daughter's a psychic?

last edited at Mar 1, 2024 2:17AM

joined Mar 25, 2019

The Walk to Death cinematic universe is real yall

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

yeah this sure is just an explanation of what happened in this author's previous work. which is so funny considering how vague they kept that answer in Walk to Death and how here it's just like "okay fine you get to know what was going on".

joined Oct 19, 2023

Aren't they completely different phenomena? The theory they come up with at the end of Walk to Death is that people die whenever Tokiko acts independently, which doesn't match at all with Komachi's condition. Even if you assume their conclusions are incorrect, nobody dies around Tokiko between her adoption and the death of her adoptive father, compared to how Komachi is surrounded by deaths while growing up.

last edited at Mar 1, 2024 8:33AM

joined Mar 25, 2019

Chapter felt shorter than usual. Anyway, I don't think any amount of backstory will save prez as an antagonist really. He just doesn't have that spark you know? He feels more like a nuisance than an actual threat even after the Zeus kill.

Man if they had made someone like Tokiko as the antagonist it would be super awesome. I think someone who is very unempathetic and almost has zero regard for human life is a more compelling foil to Satsuki. The opposite of love is indifference or something along those lines. Her curse would be a better way to handwave the amount of potential deaths than the prez's Wile E. Coyote plans. Satsuki's ideology would still be challenged, now she has a foe who is causing all these deaths but is not really culpable and at the same time completely indifferent to the impact she has to those around her. What does Satsuki do to stop this? Can she just follow the Tokiko around for the rest of her life or will she finally break and kill her even though Tokiko isn't even guilty? She can't even be sure that it actually is Tokiko that's causing all the deaths.

Right now Satsuki's main challenge is outsmarting the prez. The story tries to present it as an ideological battle but really it doesn't work. The prez's ideology can work in concept as a foil to hers but the way he implements it is absurd and completely untenable. If he were to have his way, it's more likely the school would be shut down instead or he'll get caught setting up a piano to fall on someone or something.

Oh and the VP is dying 100%, calling it now. This chapter is an obvious death flag. Villain's stoic sidekick gets a tragic backstory chapter? She dead.

Also, I called it so hard. Except the VP dying part.

joined Apr 10, 2023

Clearly the answer is that Komachi has falsely attributed the deaths to being caused by herself, because Satsuki has been able to prevent them. All they need to do is stick together.
I've liked these two chapters, although I'm not totally sure how it gels with what we've seen so far, especially with going along with Seo. Guess we'll find out next chapter. I'm dreading it TBH, the author put themselves in such a bind with her retroactive heel turn and it's hard to imagine getting out of it. Maybe they'll surprise me in a very good way lol.
Also, really glad the author didn't give us some reason for Komachi's association with death like they attempted in Walk In Death, "Tokiko was stillborn and then saved, but that's made her need to absorb life from others" was cheesy af.

last edited at Mar 1, 2024 3:23PM

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Take that Prez! You were wrong after all!

joined May 29, 2021

Clearly the answer is that Komachi has falsely attributed the deaths to being caused by herself,

Honestly, it's REALLY weird if they aren't. If they aren't this girl is at the center of the world's weirdest chain of coincidences ever. The story makes WAY more sense of Komachi really is causing the deaths through some kind of curse. Her backstory is no longer contrived and the sheer number of deaths that have also almost happened at the school will also make sense.

joined Apr 10, 2023

Clearly the answer is that Komachi has falsely attributed the deaths to being caused by herself,

Honestly, it's REALLY weird if they aren't. If they aren't this girl is at the center of the world's weirdest chain of coincidences ever. The story makes WAY more sense of Komachi really is causing the deaths through some kind of curse. Her backstory is no longer contrived and the sheer number of deaths that have also almost happened at the school will also make sense.

Maybe she's cursed to follow a path that puts her near death, possibly as the result of her seeing it even, much like how Satsuki puts herself in the way of death constantly due to knowing it might happen nearby. It's not like any of the deaths around either of them are in any way inexplicable, not even the over the top Final Destination deaths of Walk In Death that convince most witnesses that they HAVE to be deliberate somehow with how specific and unlikely they are.

To reply you must either login or sign up.