Forum › The Princess of Sylph (Twitter Version) discussion

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

A very different take on the story, this one looks to have focused more on the kingdom being actively endangered thus putting a drain on the princess that way.

While the serialized version looks to be focusing much more on their relationship while as of yet saying that the kingdom is going to be more than fine without the sword. With grief over losing her family being the main drain on the princess.

last edited at Dec 2, 2023 8:12PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

A very different take on the story, this one looks to have focused more on the kingdom being actively endangered thus putting a drain on the princess that way.

While the serialized version looks to be focusing much more on their relationship while as of yet saying that the kingdom is going to be more than fine without the sword. With grief over losing her family being the main drain on the princess.

I'm pretty sure the serialized version is gonna end up the same way as this one. The water princess did warn Natalia that without the sword, her kingdom would be in great danger. So regardless of what her brother said, shit is probably gonna hit the fan all the same.

last edited at Dec 3, 2023 12:20AM

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I appreciate this version, but I'm glad we're taking a much slower pace in the serialized version

I01_rx-0-unicorn-gundam-mobile-suit-gundam-sci-fi-anime-mecha-galaxy-anime
joined May 26, 2020

There are no words to describe how much I love you kemjiro

joined May 26, 2020

There are no words to describe how much I love you kamejiro

last edited at Dec 3, 2023 2:15AM

joined May 26, 2020

Does the princess have other siblings?

last edited at Dec 3, 2023 2:37AM

Img_20230402_152744
joined Aug 23, 2022

The Princess of Sylph is my favorite manga right now, and now we have a different version from the original? Is great to be alive.

Aizawa-san
joined May 25, 2018

There were no cutesy SFX.

gonna have to dock points for that im afraid

it does look like she has one other sibling besides luis, mom's holding a baby on chapter 5 page 1, and there's a third child sleeping in bed alongside natalia and luis in the chapter 7 flashback/dream. but there's been no mention of them in the serialization so far, so they may have been dropped entirely

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

I appreciate this version, but I'm glad we're taking a much slower pace in the serialized version

Yeah. Some details have certainly changed but mostly it's that she's had the chance at a second pass, to flesh out the qualities she wants to focus on and develop things that the twitter version only mentioned or could only speed past.

The major events aren't changing that much but the relationships, motivations and characterizations are given more space to breathe and become clearer. The romance, for example, was there in the twitter draft but with the space limits, she had less real estate to focus on that while also balancing the plot. Now she can flesh out both. Twitter manga just had to go at a relatively breakneck pace because of the medium.

last edited at Dec 3, 2023 7:31AM

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

The Princess of Sylph started in early 2019 when Kamejiro began sketching out ideas for a fantasy romance between a nun and princess. Over the years it developed into a proper story, and in 2022 when the 1st major arc concluded Kamejiro was given an offer to officially serialize it. One of the publisher's only demands was that the story be started over from the beginning.

So what you're reading here is essentially a rough draft. Kamejiro's stated several times the new version is meant to follow the same plot, and as of the serialized ch11 most elements are set in place for that to happen. There's also a few hints in the serialized version's future extras that line up with the ending of the indie twitter version. Basically everything that happens here should be treated as spoilers.

The differences are stark however. It's important to keep in mind the indie version took 3 years to make and is around 300 pages (34 chapters total). Many of these chapters released months apart. The serialized version is 1 year old now at roughly 500 pages, only adapting to around indie ch11. I expect the new one to pick the pace once the plot starts—maybe adapting the entire twitter version by volume 5—but it's dedicating serious time to establishing the setting and Sara and Natalia's relationship.

Probably the most notable change is how the indie version was told entirely from Natalia's perspective, while the serialized version is more of a 7:3 split favoring Sara. Sara's motives used to be treated as a mystery, though she had some side material explaining what she's going through. The serialized version is also more whimsical and lighthearted early on, gradually ramping up the tension in the most recent chapters (ch11).

Since the manga already had a following, Kamejiro consciously wrote the serialized version to be enjoyable for both new and old audiences. That means a lot of detours, but also careful layering of details you might not recognize on a first time read. It's a story designed to be read twice.

In this version she had a sister who died young. That was likely changed for the new version, maybe because it didn't fit with the royal family being treated as superhuman. It's also stated Luis died to monsters in this version, but that probably doesn't fit with the new version either.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Huh, the Twitter version took way longer to give Natalia her sweep-ya-off-yer-feet behavior.

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

I wonder if Kamejiro had watched "La Llamada" — in English it's "Holy Camp!" iirc — a musical comedy movie from Spain with a lesbian plot. Susana, the fmc in that movie, falls in love with a nun played by Belén Cuesta; and Sister Sara in the first chapters of the Twitter version looks amazingly like her.

You could also say that Natalia looks like Susana... but really that's just because they're both blondes with shorter hair than their love interests.

Thumb
joined Dec 23, 2014

Thank you so much, translator-sama <3

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

Is it just me or does the art style here look a lot like Amano Shuninta's art style?

last edited at Dec 6, 2023 9:33AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well if not, she and the nun are gonna need to make some magic babies if the kingdom isn't to fall in the next generation.

joined Jul 6, 2020

This is a huuuuuuuuuuuge gambit, because even if that 30% of people who were effected are alright praying to Sara, the other 70% of people are gonna be losing faith when they hear the princess has died. There's gotta be a better way but im not so sure if theyll find it in time

Capture
joined Mar 2, 2019

I'm enjoying this version so much as well. Thanks for the translation!

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

This is a huuuuuuuuuuuge gambit, because even if that 30% of people who were effected are alright praying to Sara, the other 70% of people are gonna be losing faith when they hear the princess has died. There's gotta be a better way but im not so sure if theyll find it in time

They really couldn't have Natalia and Sara splitting votes though. They probably expect or hope that word of Sara's good works spread from that 3rd--the news of Natalia's "death" should spread at the same time as the news of Sara's deeds. They're making the best of the situation. But we'll see. The larger issue is whether faith from that subset of the population is enough for right now.

last edited at Dec 6, 2023 7:11PM

joined Jul 6, 2020

I definitely feel like when we start reaching this section in the serialized version its gonna hurt a hell of a lot more than this

Thumb
joined Dec 23, 2014

How many chapters does the twitter version have?

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

How many chapters does the twitter version have?

34 chapters. We're in the last stretch but far from over.

last edited at Dec 8, 2023 11:53AM

joined Aug 10, 2016

I feel I know what Sarah is doing. She probably could only pull off petrifying everyone, and is trying to force the princess to kill her so she could make her take back the royal sword. But damn.

last edited at Dec 8, 2023 3:32PM

joined May 29, 2022

I feel I know what Sarah is doing. She probably could only pull off petrifying everyone, and is trying to force the princess to kill her so she could make her take back the royal sword. But damn.

Wow now that you say it it's probably that (I hope)

Jesus
joined Sep 3, 2022

this is pretty good, thank you for the translation

joined Jul 6, 2020

my guess was that she was a snake princess impersonator, but your idea actually makes more sense. She definitely doesn't want to see Natalia in danger ever again, so she probably thinks it would be easier if Natalia just killed her to regain the sword, and no longer suffer physically from all the fighting.

To reply you must either login or sign up.