Forum › Citrus + discussion

joined Dec 17, 2022

Because you see it in that way, on another point of view, is just Yuzu and her insecurities starting an unnecessary drama once again. It's not Mei's fault if her former classmate is in love with her, she's just making a move for academy's sake and the guy is the allie that she needs. (Let's try not to forget that Yuzu always knew that Mei's dream is to take over the academy and agreed to support her) There's nothing that make you thing that she's doing anything out of the plan, just because the guy says that he likes Mei, doesn't mean that she's gonna reciprocate. I can say: "Ok. Just a teen girl, with teen dramas". But that movie has been played a lot of times. Like you say: It's a loop

I agree with your analysis. The big problem with this story is that we have not seen this couple act romantically in all of citrus+, given that they are engaged and live together. In my opinion they do not have an equal relationship. Yuzu has to learn to not depend so emotionally on MEI and MEI has to learn to show her feelings more. Having said that, this story has been weak for a long time and is becoming repetitive. What is needed is for Saburouta to develop the characters once and for all, because it seems that we are still in the original citrus.

0000slan1
joined Apr 7, 2018

Because you see it in that way, on another point of view, is just Yuzu and her insecurities starting an unnecessary drama once again. It's not Mei's fault if her former classmate is in love with her, she's just making a move for academy's sake and the guy is the allie that she needs. (Let's try not to forget that Yuzu always knew that Mei's dream is to take over the academy and agreed to support her) There's nothing that make you thing that she's doing anything out of the plan, just because the guy says that he likes Mei, doesn't mean that she's gonna reciprocate. I can say: "Ok. Just a teen girl, with teen dramas". But that movie has been played a lot of times. Like you say: It's a loop

Yuzu has every reason to be insecure and worried though, especially when Mei starts ranting about "the future of the academy" once again, Yuzu reaction is the direct result of Mei past actions and behavior, let's not forget that Mei almost ended up in not one but TWO arranged marriages for the sake of the academy, and everytime Yuzu was the one who had to save Mei from her own sick sense of "duty", Mei has a long history of making stupid decisions when the future of the academy is on the line, if you combine this with the fact that she is completely and utterly incapable of expressing her feelings and reassuring Yuzu and it's pretty obvious why Yuzu is worried, her fears are very much justified, Mei hasn't done a very good job at showing to Yuzu that she has changed.

And honestly, knowing Saburouta, I wouldn't even be surprised if Mei ended up engaged once again to "secure the future of the academy".

Xxaaezvi
joined Oct 1, 2019

I'm tired of hearing about that damn academy.

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

Not giving anything away, but more of a cultural question.

Mei is making a speech to the entire student body, however, I do not understand why she addresses to the student body as "Minnasama". I thought one should call peers as "Minnasan", no? As the student council president and also as a senior, she is the most senior member of the student body, so I do not understand why she would use "sama" to any student, let alone the entire student body. The only persons she technically can use that term "sama" is to Yuzu, ie, oneesama, or Himeko, because Himeko comes from has a much much much more respected and old super rich family, ie, a higher social class.

The plan that Mei was working with Arata for the past couple of chapters are actually quite common. My own school did the same thing. Well, I am not giving away what my school did, but when you read it in this new chapter, it may help you to understand what the cooperation is all about. It is all about survival, as has been implied or stated for the past couple chapters. If a private single sex school without a good endowment and see students left for a more desirable school for whatever reasons, it can go bankrupt. This brings you all the way back to the board meeting when Mei assured the old guys that the school will be ok under her control.

I do notice one shocking thing, but without Mei being drawn more, or rather, drawn a specific part of her body, I cannot tell exactly what is going on. This is because Yuzu is wearing the engagement ring openly in school on her left hand ring finger where everyone can see it. I wonder why. I have a few ideas but I rather not spoil the plot. I wonder if there is truly a rule that students are not allowed to wear rings, which is quite hypocritical because way back in Chapter 1 Harumin told Yuzu that many students were already engaged. So what is the point of hiding? Who would come up with such a minute, pointless rule about wearing rings? My personal guess is Mei made up that rule because she was paranoid about being outted.......which is also pointless since at this point and time it is an open secret that Mei and Yuzu are a couple.

last edited at Oct 17, 2023 12:59PM

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

So, i've done a full reread of the entire series, Citrus and Citrus+, since yesterday and it gave me some thoughts.

Like how it's a really nice touch that the end of Citrus Vol.10 and the end of Citrus+ Vol.1 are the same scene and C+ expands on the circumstances of it a bit. And so bc the C+vol.1 scene doesn't copy everything from the Cvol.10 one it's easy to forget that that was the first time Mei has ever told Yuzu that she loves her to her face and that they shared a very romantic kiss there.
A great way to connect the end of the previous and the start of the new series~

Reading it all consecutively like this also made me realize that Mei hasn't "regressed" at all. She's more open with her feelings, receptive and reciprocative with affection from and towards Yuzu, acted more emotionally supportive and has been an overall maiden in love the most she's ever been in the series.
Every volume has scenes of them being lovey-dovey, emotionally supportive of each other or making out. Or all three. Even in terms of steaminess it's not like 'nothing' ever happens, heck, the aftermath of the summer festival has the hottest shot between them in this whole series so far.

Especially if you consider the timeframe. Volume 1 to 5 all take place in a bit over 4 months, there has been a considerable amount of closeness and growth between them in that short amount of time. Really the only thing that's missing compared to the previous series is all the pained expressions and lashing out, especially from Mei. It's easy to disregard her bc she's has a naturally expressionless resting face but she's looking softer and crushingly blushing more than ever before.

It was hard not to feel like nothing was progressing with the slow release pace the series has, especially lately, but now that i've read it all over again I can confidently say that I disagree with all the critique that Mei hasn't changed at all or that she's "as robot-like as ever". Couldn't be further from the truth imo.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

I mean heck, Mei has said it best herself just at the start of Vol.6~

joined Dec 17, 2022

I mean heck, Mei has said it best herself just at the start of Vol.6~

Words are demonstrated with actions. How many times have they kissed in citrus+, how many romantic dinners have they had, how many hugs have they had. no one denies that MEI loves yuzu but her way of Expressing it is poor, and the clear example was Yuzu's birthday episode, which was the most anticlimactic seen in Citrus. Saboruota needs to "soften" MEI's character a little, That doesn't mean changing your personality. This series didn't start yesterday. Having said that, I agree that the story is very slow, and as a clear example, this month's chapter, which after 3 months 16 Pages, I just hope that he is in good health. Greetings

joined Oct 2, 2021

It's taken 5 years IRL to get from May 27 to September 30. Any guesses how long till they get married in Alabama?

last edited at Oct 21, 2023 8:42AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Yuzu so gay, she can't even remember boys' faces.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

It remains the type of situation where everything would be settled if the two main characters had a 1 minute actual conversation about the things that are happening, but at least Yuzu is putting the more obvious parts together in her head. Let's just say it's a very good thing that Harumin and Matsuri are there to help (^^)

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

I still feel like at the end of the day we are setting up for it to be Mei that's worried about Yuzu and Arata. It's barely there but I got the impression that, that's where we'll go. And now I'm assuming Yuzu will try and hang out with Arata more in order to get to know him. Yuzu's idea is reasonable though. The unknown can be your worst enemy and can create a void that fills up with miserable and wild imaginations. So whether she hangs out with him or asks around, either way is not a bad idea.

last edited at Oct 21, 2023 9:23AM

joined Dec 17, 2022

without spoilers Little to talk about this chapter. What we all intuited about the association of MEI and Arata has occurred and Yuzu as always with her mental paranoias although it seems that now she has made something clear or perhaps she is just deceiving herself, but here I leave a very personal reflection. How does this association between MEI and arata benefit yuzu? What was stopping MEI from telling Yuzu about her plans? Come on, it's not even like it was a state secret and MEI belonged to the Japanese intelligence services hahahaha, but (and it hurts my heart to say it) at this point in history I don't care if I know it, savoruota is making me not care about the main couple, maybe it's because of the slowness of the story, maybe because I know they got married and I see all these artificial dramas as unnecessary, or maybe it's because I thought citrus+ was going to be something else or maybe all of them at the same time , if we add to this that the secondary characters have barely had any development, it is the perfect cocktail. When will these two "useless lesbians" have a simple conversation to solve their problems? It's as simple as that. In the next chapter we will know. Greetings

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

Not giving anything away, but more of a cultural question.

Mei is making a speech to the entire student body, however, I do not understand why she addresses to the student body as "Minnasama". I thought one should call peers as "Minnasan", no? As the student council president and also as a senior, she is the most senior member of the student body, so I do not understand why she would use "sama" to any student, let alone the entire student body. The only persons she technically can use that term "sama" is to Yuzu, ie, oneesama, or Himeko, because Himeko comes from has a much much much more respected and old super rich family, ie, a higher social class.

I should be able to answer that! In Japanese, the use of formal/humble language (such as "desu" or the honorific "-sama") isn't solely determined by social status or "rank". It's true that you often use formal language with your elders and those in a higher position than you, but you do so out of an effort to be respectful/formal, not because there's an inherent rule about age or status that you need to follow. So, any situation in which it would be appropriate to be respectful/formal is a situation where it makes sense to use formal/humble language. In this case, Mei is addressing the student body in a very formal capacity, making an official announcement as a representative of the student council. In fact, the language she uses all throughout the speech is dripping with formality, which is something I spent a lot of time trying to accurately represent in my translation. If Mei were to casually address a group of her peers in a normal school setting, I would fully expect her to use "minasan" instead.

I still feel like at the end of the day we are setting up for it to be Mei that's worried about Yuzu and Arata. It's barely there but I got the impression that, that's where we'll go. And now I'm assuming Yuzu will try and hang out with Arata more in order to get to know him.

This is what I'm thinking, too. I've also always felt that, if Arata starts crushing on anyone, it'll be Yuzu rather than Mei, which would be even more reason for Mei to be the jealous one for once.

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Came back to read this after a whole year; Mei is even more robotic, Yuzu is...well yuzu, idgaf about rest of the characters and...mcs still haven't fucked yet. Great.

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

I just can't get invested in this part of the plot. It's actually so boring.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yuzu arduously comes to the realization that she’s afraid of the unknown, thereby catching up to the average 5-year-old.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Yuzu so gay, she can't even remember boys' faces.

I laughed out loud at this part, is so Yuzu.

Still, I find it interesting this is the first time we are tackling the School Festival scenario, which is a staple of mangas set in HS so it is curious that only a decade into, citrus is finally having it. Besides that, I wonder if this is part of a larger plan to have both Aihara Academy and Arata's school merge into a single, mixed institution. From previous chapters, it seems like funding has been a growing worry for both schools so combining them, does make sense.

joined Apr 2, 2020

I love this .... But I honestly wish It ends soon, not out of hate or anything.... I just think It stretched WAY too much already

joined Jan 14, 2020

Saburouta successfully captures the mind-numbing feeling of a boring school assembly speech. Well done?

Pity
joined Jan 11, 2014

My guess is she'll try to be friend with him, he'd start falling for her then Mei will get jealous and have a taste of how Yuzu feels

joined Dec 17, 2018

My guess is she'll try to be friend with him, he'd start falling for her then Mei will get jealous and have a taste of how Yuzu feels

I really hope that's what will happen

joined Mar 18, 2023

I wonder if Mei ever thinks about Arata is interested in Yuzu. The small amount of interaction between Arata and Yuzu clearly shows that Arata likes Yuzu. They are also both extroverts. Any crush that Arata has on Mei when they were kids is irrelevant now that they have grown up. I think that Arata probably considers Mei to be a future close friend, why Yuzu being a future girl friend.

As I wrote earlier, my school did exactly something similar. The school founder built two schools, one is for boys, the other for girls. Eventually for social and economical reasons, they merged. Now because of harsh economic situation, we ended up selling the original girl campus, but we survived. If the two school did not merge, both will go bankcrupt.

This proposed school cultural festival by Mei is a HUGE gamble and she better explains it carefully to the board. As Sayaka said before, the school is a bird cage, preventing any student from knowing the outside world. To be more specific, boys. Since many students are already engaged, most of them probably have never met any boys other than their own family circle (such as relatives) and the fiances. But now we have an opportunity for the students to meet with boys from a boy school, and work together, many (on both sides) may end up falling in love (puppy love, whatever you want to define it). This can potentially ruin many engagements. This will become the nightmare scenario that Sayaka fears. The unknown outside world. What will happen if Miyabi meets a boy from Arata's school and started having a crush? Miyabi has no obligation to tell Sayaka everything. What I am trying to point out is, Mei is playing a dangerous game. Engagements being canceled can mean business alliances being broken for the rich who has been inter-marrying for a couple hundred years. Even if Arata's classmates are all from the rich and the upper social class, wrong alliances can cause serious problems.

I hope the board knows what is going on, and I hope Mei has the answers ready.

The truth is also that if Mei does not do something like this, Aihara academy may not last long. It will be like a leak from a dam when the students see what the outside world is, and one by one their families start to send their kids to co-ed schools. Arata's school will also have the same problem, if not more, because boys surely love co-ed schools. Well, except a few..we don't even know if Arata is straight, bi, or gay at this point, all we know is he and Yuzu gets along very well just from what we see so far. But then again of course he himself may already have been engaged.

Oh, I am surprised that Matsuri seems to have a much better relationship with Sayaka. Although I am not surprised that Sayaka does not want to say anything about the festival regardless of whether Mei told her not to say a word about it, this is exactly the scenario she fears about, but has to go through with it, just as she has promised Miyabi (and Yuzu). My feeling is that she does not know the details, based on Himeko's expression, who seems to know a bit but not everything.

Sabu is too slow. I am sure she signed a contract with Yurihime to know how many volumes she would need to produce. Dragging the story will fulfill the contract, but that is a short sighted business strategy. Move quicker, create better arcs, HaruMatsu, etc. A longer sighted strategy will be not just doing that, but finish the manga good enough to have a new sequel (post marriage, College days) with no restrictions anymore. Namori is still drawing not just one, but two series of which one of them is a side story. IF she can do that, and still doing strong, there is no reason Sabu cannot do the same.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I really do think the main issue is the super long gaps in between chapter updates. Like yes it's best if Saburouta can work at a pace that is best for her health, but on the other hand, the amount of things that actually happen in the chapters are so, so agonizingly slow. I feel like this chapter was one of the worst offenders so far. While I liked the 2nd half of the chapter with Yuzu figuring out her shit (actual plot development), did we really need half the chapter for a 15 page update to be about a generic student assembly? It did not have to be dragged out for that many pages. Like come on, 3 months for a boring student assembly announcement??

last edited at Oct 22, 2023 5:09AM

joined Dec 17, 2022

Sabu is too slow. I am sure she signed a contract with Yurihime to know how many volumes she would need to produce. Dragging the story will fulfill the contract, but that is a short sighted business strategy. Move quicker, create better arcs, HaruMatsu, etc. A longer sighted strategy will be not just doing that, but finish the manga good enough to have a new sequel (post marriage, College days) with no restrictions anymore. Namori is still drawing not just one, but two series of which one of them is a side story. IF she can do that, and still doing strong, there is no reason Sabu cannot do the same.

I agree with what you say, but the reality of where saburouta is going is different, with the danger that the reader ends up "getting tired" of this story. It needs more interesting arcs and more rhythm in the story and not repeated dramas, an interesting one would be one dedicated to MEI's mother or another dedicated to Sara and Nina who are missing. Regarding continuing the story after marriage or at university, Saburouta already made it clear in an interview that no, this story ends at graduation, and finally as far as the harumatsu is concerned, both the harumatsu and the hard between yuzu and MEI are two elements that the author uses to keep the reader with expectations, but the hard is neither there nor expected and the harumatsu today is "dead", tomorrow who knows. Greetings

joined Mar 18, 2023

Regarding continuing the story after marriage or at university, Saburouta already made it clear in an interview that no, this story ends at graduation, and finally as far as the harumatsu is concerned, both the harumatsu and the hard between yuzu and MEI are two elements that the author uses to keep the reader with expectations, but the hard is neither there nor expected and the harumatsu today is "dead", tomorrow who knows. Greetings

Some almost 30 years ago I read CLAMP's (both in raw) Tokyo Babylon first, and then the sequel X which was actually better with many more interesting characters. I read Minami Ozaki's (both in raw) Zetsuai and then the sequel Bronze which was also actually better with more high drama. If these first class Yaoi doujinshi-generation artists knew what to do with sequels, how come Sabu does not? So what sort of artist Sabu is, making a sequel meaningless? A bad sequel can even ruin the joy of reading the original series...

To reply you must either login or sign up.