Forum › A Scummy Gap Student With a Hard Life Calls Upon a Lady of the Night discussion

joined Oct 21, 2013

Mashiro probably will get fired and lose a significant portion of her income, but Makino still has that Black Card ...

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

She's much less of a scumbag, now.

She's never been that much of one anyway. Her parents are the scumbags and she's only a scumbag in their eyes and considers herself one because of them. She is a mess though. I wonder when Makino will give Mashiro the (wedding) ring she bought for her.

Also great punch! But if she can stand up to her mother like that (albeit to protect her wife) I don't see how her mother is going to force her to marry or why she still would go along with anything.

I do wonder what Maximo’s fiancé/piggy bank is going to say about this, though. Scumbags are at their most dangerous when unaccounted for.

He's not her fiance, Makino made it clear again that she doesn't view using that card as accepting anything. But I do wonder what his purpose will be. I have a feeling he'll end up as a friend but maybe the mother's plans will involve him. I don't feel like we'll have two villains, just the mother (although why was the mom so confident, here? Maybe the guy told her something?). Mostly, I just worry for Mashiro. She already been through a lot and Makino's mom is terrible and vindictive.

last edited at Oct 2, 2023 7:11AM

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

I do wonder what Maximo’s fiancé/piggy bank is going to say about this, though. Scumbags are at their most dangerous when unaccounted for.

He's not her fiance, Makino made it clear again that she doesn't view using that card as accepting anything. But I do wonder what his purpose will be. I have a feeling he'll end up as a friend but maybe the mother's plans will involve him. I don't feel like we'll have two villains, just the mother (although why was the mom so confident, here? Maybe the guy told her something?). Mostly, I just worry for Mashiro. She already been through a lot and Makino's mom is terrible and vindictive.

I mean, that’s great for her and all, but I didn’t see her clarify anything at any point after he said “so our engagement is established, then,” which sounds to me like he views her taking the card as accepting his offer. Until that little misunderstanding is cleared up, he is going to continue to view himself as her fiancé, which is bound to cause problems.

I do agree that I don’t think he’ll be a second villain. At least, not a major one like Makino’s mother seems to be set up as. But he’s also still a pretty new character, so it’s up in the air.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

I mean, that’s great for her and all, but I didn’t see her clarify anything at any point after he said “so our engagement is established, then,” which sounds to me like he views her taking the card as accepting his offer. Until that little misunderstanding is cleared up, he is going to continue to view himself as her fiancé, which is bound to cause problems.

It takes two people to be engaged and married. He can think what he wants. That doesn't mean he's her fiance. She didn't hear him, in the last chapter because she was enamored by her thoughts of what she'd buy Mashiro. She never verbally accepted, even wondering why he was still around her and didn't disappear. She's just a (mostly loveable) idiot. In this chapter, she made it crystal clear that she did not consider that an acceptance of anything. So he's not her fiance, just a miscommunication or bad assumption on his part. So, it's mostly "great for him and all," if anything. He can tell people he's her fiance but he'd be wrong. The misunderstanding can cause issues, sure but he's not her fiance. I agree that his role is up in the air. He seems too obviously antagonistic to me but he could team up with the mom.

last edited at Oct 2, 2023 8:36AM

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

How would you know how a parent feels ?

That's rich. After all, it doesn't seem like scumbag mom has any children left, either.

Pov_youre_a_triple_mugger
joined Feb 19, 2016

I think the funniest thing is, if you really look at it, Makimo's mom has absolutely no leverage here. Her plan was to have her daughter marry and inheret the business, but if she kicks her out like this all she's doing is pushing the girl who was reluctant to inheret it even further away, and even if she forces her and Satou out of her cram school, they can always just join another one and continue their studies. Basically, Makimo and Satou have hit a (perhaps minor, perhaps major) bump in their plans, but her Mom's plans have basically entirely collapsed and all she has left now is petty vengeance.
The funniest outcome would be if in the end, Makimo and Satou start their own cram school.

_yuri_hime_14_clear_file
joined Oct 21, 2011

Makino's parents are so out of touch it's pathetic

joined Apr 16, 2022

Kosuzume's author's note here isn't quite at the level of the one where she rambled about how pretty her (female) editor is but it's still very funny

joined Feb 1, 2021

Kosuzume's author's note here isn't quite at the level of the one where she rambled about how pretty her (female) editor is but it's still very funny

I'm glad she's back to living her best life lol

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Betting that if she wasn’t married she’d soon be telling us she called one of these girls to “chat, for research”.

last edited at Oct 2, 2023 11:21AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Whatever I expected from this chapter, it was definitely not this declaration of war. Nice! :D

joined Jan 24, 2022

Last year (2022), the age of majority in Japan was lowered from 20 to 18. So assuming this manga takes place in the present day, Makino should be legally free of her parents.

Still can't drink until you turn 20 but at least you can make your own decisions and not be controlled by your parents

joined Jun 8, 2020

i love scummie people, actually i do have a lot of scummie friends they are so funny and trustworty because they are straight to the point and shameless

Dreadpiratebaka
joined Jul 11, 2014

Average mom behavior

Cut%20out%20avater
joined May 25, 2023

Betting that if she wasn’t married she’d soon be telling us she called one of these girls to “chat, for research”.

I mean, if the partners cool with it, maybe shes gonna, still very funny end cart.

and HOLY shit the chapter was cathartic. those 2's back must hurt so much from suddenly growing a spine like that. good for them. good for them.

and fuck that mother, you dont go around trying to poke fun at peoples insecurities like that, ya arse. and the other stuff too of course

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Some of you seem confused by the transition between chapters? But I think it's crystal clear! Yes, the author skipped some parts because she didn't want to waste space in obvious and uninteresting stuff, but that isn't really a problem: the narrative is smooth.

Makino took the credit card and bought an engagement ring (for Mashiro) ==> Whatshisface thought his marriage with Makino was a go ==> He told their parents that Makino had agreed to marry him ==> Makino's mom went to the cram school to arrange her withdrawal ==> Makino's mom learned how a left hook to the jaw feels.

The not-shown parts are the boring bits between the different stages of the narrative development... like Whatshisface, his parents and Makino's parents discussing the marriage plans while Makino in the background jumps up and down and yells that it's all a misunderstanding but nobody pays attention to her. We don't need or care to read about that, we can guess how it went. Moving from the end of last chapter to the very important climactic developments in this chapter is the right narrative choice.

Speaking of important stuff, one thing that hasn't been shown yet but we definitely will get to see next chapter is the chat between Makino and Mashiro about the episode at the jeweller's! Mashiro will demand to know what was going on at the time... and after Makino explains I suspect Mashiro, faithful to her role as Makino's Jiminy Cricket, will tell her to return card, ring and everything to that guy. "You should buy me a ring with the money you earned yourself, Makino-chan!" Or something along the lines.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Did author San... Just say that? Oh myyyy

As for the chapter, Yayyy, Vi-o-lence! Vi-o-lence!

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Speaking of important stuff, one thing that hasn't been shown yet but we definitely will get to see next chapter is the chat between Makino and Mashiro about the episode at the jeweller's! Mashiro will demand to know what was going on at the time... and after Makino explains I suspect Mashiro, faithful to her role as Makino's Jiminy Cricket, will tell her to return card, ring and everything to that guy. "You should buy me a ring with the money you earned yourself, Makino-chan!" Or something along the lines.

And Makino will retort: "No way, I got this through my special talent! Besides he won't miss a few pennies"

last edited at Oct 3, 2023 5:06PM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Angry Narcissist Mom doesn't realize she has just set up her daughter's love life for good. It's funny and yet sad how wholeheartedly she believes that Makino will come crawling back to her, when, in fact, she has just put a big fat X on her entire plans for her. My only concern is that angry narcissists usually cause a lot of harm because admitting they were wrong is more terrifying to them than a capital offense.

It's because the mom genuinely believes that Makino is a useless flaker who has nothing going for her other than a nice face

Honestly I have been waiting for Makino to run away from home but it looks more like she's on the path to get disowned now

I also stand by my prior comment "Dad be like: am I even a character?"

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

That felt good! As awful as she is, BadMom took that punch like a champ! Was she a former boxer? It's great that Makino finally stood up to her BadMom.

Slime
joined Feb 22, 2023

==> Makino's mom learned how a left hook to the jaw feels.

I'VE BEEN WAITING 59 CHAPTERS FOR THIS MOMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joined Oct 21, 2013

What's the worst that could happen? Makino's nasty mother gets Mashiro imprisoned for prostitution, and Makino for credit card fraud. But then they share the same cell.

joined May 9, 2017

Some of you seem confused by the transition between chapters? But I think it's crystal clear! Yes, the author skipped some parts because she didn't want to waste space in obvious and uninteresting stuff, but that isn't really a problem: the narrative is smooth.

It's not crystal clear. It's understandable overall, but it's breaking the narrative pattern that have been established since the first chapter. Every time a problem or misunderstanding arises, it's addressed the following chapter. In this case, the misunderstanding was Satou seing Makino with that guy and thinking she broke her promise. The following chapter, we have Makino's mother at the cram school saying her daughter will quit. While we can connect the dots ourself, it's not was we were expecting and it requires a little bit of thinking. What was expected was Satou confronting Makino, or Makino giving the ring to Satou and resolving the issue.

I genuinely thought I had skip a chapter after reading this one. If I'm not the only one, the problem is definitely on the author's side. Nothing too problematic though, just not as smooth as usual.

bluraspberry Uploader
Chistaki
Bar4bidden
joined Jan 10, 2023

Is the scumbag growing up I am genuinely happy. Just gotta hope she doesn’t immediately screw this up.

joined Jan 14, 2020

What's the worst that could happen? Makino's nasty mother gets Mashiro imprisoned for prostitution, and Makino for credit card fraud. But then they share the same cell.

AFAIK what Mashiro does is legal in Japan.

To reply you must either login or sign up.