Forum › A Scummy Gap Student With a Hard Life Calls Upon a Lady of the Night discussion

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Bruh, why are they setting up their teenage daughter with a grown man like it’s not big deal and somehow make their adult daughter being a lesbian as worse. She’s 16 for Christ sakes, Imagine thinking of forcing your child into a marriage for the sake of entrusting your beloved company into the hands of a stranger. Connected by a piece of paper. It’s basically the same thing as giving the company to a stranger at that point, so I don’t understand why they need to force her into marriage anyways.

She did college entrance exams, i doubt she is only 16.

joined Jan 14, 2020

She’s 16 for Christ sakes

Where did you get that idea? In chapter 1, she's just failed college entrance exams, and her friends will be in college in the spring. And later she's suspected of taking a gap year. So she's at least 18.

joined Jan 24, 2022

Why are we defending arranged marriages in the comments are you all fucking bricked in the head.

Dynasty scans is literally the last place I would expect anyone to defend arranged marriages, yet here we are....

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Nah, that’s too quick. Instead, she should absolutely tank the interview. Just act utterly deplorable to the point of imputing the shame to her family, maybe even drop a few secrets that they’d rather not have anyone know if she’s got them. Attack their reputation with such vigor that they know that continuing in this course of action will expose them to a social death by a thousand cuts. Physical death is momentary, but humiliation lasts a lifetime.

And if they try to escalate things by forcing her hand, then she can consider violence.

And what's she gonna do after that? These assholes treat their daughters as if they owned them; the moment she stops being "useful" they're gonna kick her out, she's unemployed and she doesn't have a higher education.

joined Aug 11, 2022

...MC time to act like messy snob, bonus points for burping out loud and acting rude so you can appear less appealing (Give a Less breedable and submissive vibe).---> The MC better pray they won't be like those Male lead in otome isekai going 'how Interesting/she's interesting~' when doing something wrong/unexpected lol

Like some comments said already, Arrange marriage are not totally horrible as long the two people involved are not forced against their will....sadly the MC is forced against her will by her parents who don't even acknowledge gays/homos even exist [claiming it just a delusion...].

Arranged marriage between 2 people in their mid or late 20s where they did it with free-will and 3rd party no pressure = [Acceptable and okay]....arrange marriage with a young girl barely 18-19 years old with man who is at best in his early 20s or late 20s/early30s at worst where the parents are just using their daughter to get a Elite/smart son-in-law and make her give them a future grandchild to continue to their future bloodline without any concern of the daughter's happiness= SUPER WRONG AND SUPER SCUMMY...

If the parents kicked their daughter out of the house...then MC can live/leech off your waifu or sister+Sister's girlfriend's apartment to live in till she graduates college/university at the worst case scenario...

THE MC GRADES ARE GETTING BETTER!!! SHE IS NOT A LOST CAUSE (She just need the time and proper motivation to study hard...she might not be genius but she can at least keep grinding her brain till at acceptable level to get into College/university then possibly graduate)!!!

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Why are we defending arranged marriages in the comments are you all fucking bricked in the head.

Just the usual Dynasty moment. Can't wait for the "it's not forced, it's arranged marriage" crew to come and explain why it's okay to make your daughter choose between some guy you picked for her, and getting thrown out of the family with nowhere to go.

Last time I saw that "discussion", the girl wasn't even an adult yet and you'd literally see her crying in the arms of her girlfriend when the marriage was decided for her, and the comments were still defending it.

I can't with this website.

Hana
joined Jun 20, 2014

Satou going to breakdown again...then go all yandere clingy!

joined Sep 22, 2021

Satou might become the one who provides MC money this time in case relationship with her parents fails

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Just the usual Dynasty moment. Can't wait for the "it's not forced, it's arranged marriage" crew to come and explain why it's okay to make your daughter choose between some guy you picked for her, and getting thrown out of the family with nowhere to go.

Last time I saw that "discussion", the girl wasn't even an adult yet and you'd literally see her crying in the arms of her girlfriend when the marriage was decided for her, and the comments were still defending it.

I can't with this website.

I guarantee you a generic anime community is on average a lot more pro-arranged-marriage (and pro-child-marriage, pro-slavery, etc.) than this forum

last edited at Jul 23, 2023 6:55AM

Iwaited10yearstocreateanaccount
joined Sep 17, 2022

I love this so much... its progression is realistic in so many ways (and ofcourse unrealistic some too) ... I hope the mangaka decides to go nsfw for a bit when MC finally gets what she wants. o///o <3

Its been awhile since I've read yuri where character and plot writing has been this well balanced.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Your reading comprehension could use some work. The discussion has been about the difference between “arranged marriages” and “forced marriages” (which do happen, where people—almost always women—are abused and given no choice in the matter).

So one is a cultural practice that certainly does seem weird, awkward, and just wrong to people whose only frame of reference is modern love marriages. The other is a crime.

EDIT: And yeah, the parents are definitely being assholes about this particular potential arranged marriage.

last edited at Jul 23, 2023 9:19AM

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

How antiquated

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

I guarantee you a generic anime community is on average a lot more pro-arranged-marriage (and pro-child-marriage, pro-slavery, etc.) than this forum

I do remember Reddit being very pro "just marry some guy and take the girl you love as a mistress" during MagiRevo. It took until they literally showed Anis throwing up from having to go through that, that the voices finally quieted down and people realize that no, forcing her to go through that arranged marriage was maybe not a good thing.

And Dynasty... is the same. Mind you, it's not like Anis was physically coerced - she just had such a monumental pressure from her family and position, that there was no room for choice left. It was the same in Sheep Princess, and it's the same here; they don't have a sword on their neck, but arguments that they're "free to choose" are tenuous. In fact, Sheep Princess showed the girl crying, and here we see Makino being very uncomfortable, so it was already shown that they're not fine with this situation, much like Anis.

But you can still see people defending the part in which they are setting up marriage interviews. The saving grace is that the parents are homophobes, which makes them designated villains, so people won't defend them; despite defending other parent characters doing the same thing in other works.
It would be interesting to see what the comment section would look like if the parents weren't homophobes, but equal in every other way. Probably a battlefield. Although I don't really mind the author intentionally villainizing the parents behind this coerced marriage, just to make sure it is very clear that you're not supposed to approve them because of "cultural practices".

I would have expected that Dynasty criticized scenarios in which a girl is forced to marry someone other than her lover under coercion (and to recognize that "Marry that guy, or we'll throw you in a dungeon / in the streets with nowhere to go" is, indeed, coercion). Instead, I saw the dominating reaction being... barely at the level of Reddit anime communities. Yeah, that's a low bar.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Arranged marriage between 2 people in their mid or late 20s where they did it with free-will and 3rd party no pressure = [Acceptable and okay]....arrange marriage with a young girl barely 18-19 years old with man who is at best in his early 20s or late 20s/early30s at worst where the parents are just using their daughter to get a Elite/smart son-in-law and make her give them a future grandchild to continue to their future bloodline without any concern of the daughter's happiness= SUPER WRONG AND SUPER SCUMMY...

Yeah, this is the correct opinion. Arranged marriages can work if done for the right reasons -- e.g., the parents genuinely think their child will get along with the selected partner, both participants are satisfied with the arrangement, etc. But that's not what's going on here so there's no real point in saying "but if things were different the arranged marriage would be okay."

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

KO RAISES BABY SPARROWS.

We do NOT deserve such a gentle Goddess as an author,but here she is!

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

Nah, that’s too quick. Instead, she should absolutely tank the interview. Just act utterly deplorable to the point of imputing the shame to her family, maybe even drop a few secrets that they’d rather not have anyone know if she’s got them. Attack their reputation with such vigor that they know that continuing in this course of action will expose them to a social death by a thousand cuts. Physical death is momentary, but humiliation lasts a lifetime.

And if they try to escalate things by forcing her hand, then she can consider violence.

And what's she gonna do after that? These assholes treat their daughters as if they owned them; the moment she stops being "useful" they're gonna kick her out, she's unemployed and she doesn't have a higher education.

I mean, the only way to avoid that outcome right now seems to be agreeing to marry whatever bozo her parents pick for her, which is the only “use” they see for her anymore. That prospect is about as ideal for her as getting kicked out would be. Might as well take them down with her.

As for what she would do afterwards. Find part time, low-skill work, see if her sister or Satou are looking for a roommate/pet scumbag, take advantage of being close to a good tutor and see if she can get her ass into enough shape to get some sort of high education, certification, or just a more permanent position. It’d probably suck for her, and would probably be a lot harder than I make it sound, but at least she wouldn’t be under the thumb of parents who want to effectively whore her out in order to bring in a replacement for her gay older sister.

Also, I initially misread “sparrows” as “swallows” in the author’s note, and was ready to express my condolences to the author. Those little monsters are aggressive when they’re nesting.

the first time it actually does say swallows!

So it does, that explains my confusion then. I really do mean she made. Fuck swallows, little dive-bombing assholes.

last edited at Jul 23, 2023 12:57PM

Undertale%20deltarune%20fukufire%20skateboard%20gay
joined Aug 4, 2021

do your best scumbag

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That can't end well. But it's nice to see she's really improved a lot, even if there's still much more to go until she reaches a comparable level to her fellow students in most subjects - this should at last somewhat help her in the aftermath.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Marriage interviews by themselves aren't bad or problematic. It's like slow speed dating. It's telling Makino that she has to get married that's bad.

Arranged marriage overlaps with forced marriage (wouldn't all forced marriages be arranged, technically?) but needn't be bad. If the individuals can veto really bad partners, if the cultural expectation is of "making a marriage work" for economic (or political) reasons rather than True Love (and the individuals involved accept that) then you avoid the full harm of forced marriage. There might still be harm, but then True Love relationships don't always work out either.

Anis throwing up was likely from (a) being outright gay, so being with a man isn't something she could work herself up to, (b) having someone she already loved, and (c) having a very modern attitude due to her isekai nature.

Makino's situation isn't 'arranged' per se, but forced interviews and intent to force some sort of marriage. So is bad. I don't think anyone here has been defending it.

last edited at Jul 23, 2023 3:53PM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Makino be liek: "why can't dad just take this dofus as an apprentice and leave me alone"

Mother be leik: "I can't believe om doing this with the failure, can't she just shut up and appreciate the money she won't have to work for"

Father like be: "am I even a character? Do I even do anything? Which kind of sport do I watch on the Teli?.. Maybe racing, yeah i something o thought was cool but could never do myself "

Like Sister :be "I wonder, have I been taking Makino for granted about as much as mom and dad has? Here I was just assuming that she would take over the family business and have children I a way that would conveniently let me of the hook... Am I supposed to be smart actually? Expecting that Convo with mom and dad would work? Did I maliciously push everything unto Makino in an underhanded manner?"

Genki girl: "do I attract people with baggage?"

Mashiro:: "f*ck you boss"

xXx_Rina_xXx ''boo!''

Arranged marriage? Trivago!

Sister gf *what were my parents like, how come Mashiro never felt wanted?

Long haired not rival: *I can do my makeup in the reflection on his bald head.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Marriage interviews by themselves aren't bad or problematic. It's like slow speed dating. It's telling Makino that she has to get married that's bad.

Not only is she being told that she has to marry, but who to marry and why -- namely because her only worth is being a functional baby machine. :-) I particularly liked the part where her mother said that a woman's entire worth is in her youth, adding hypocrisy to her long list of flaws. Gods, that character is infuriating because she hits so close to RL.

last edited at Jul 24, 2023 11:34AM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Not only is she being told that she has to marry, but who to marry and why -- namely because her only worth is being a functional baby machine. :-) I particularly liked the part where her mother said that a woman's entire worth is in her youth, adding hypocrisy to her long list of flaws. Gods, that character is infuriating because she hits so close to RL.

Technically she called youth Women's intrinsic value with the possibility of also having other values like smarts, which she doesn't consider Makino to have any of

Don't make me defend a character I have been calling foul since ch1!

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Your reading comprehension could use some work. The discussion has been about the difference between “arranged marriages” and “forced marriages” (which do happen, where people—almost always women—are abused and given no choice in the matter).

The terms in question are consensual arranged marriages and forced arranged marriages, which focuses the point. Because I mean sure, in a vacuum, consensual arranged marriages are ethically fine, but the implication from those against it here, I'm thinking, is that in practice they might not be so consensual from an outside perspective despite not being a blatantly forced marriage. From what i can tell, it seems that (both kinds of) arranged marriages are more common in countries with weak or no feminist movements and where women are significantly less protected under the law. I understand that marriage as a concept in such places is also totally different from my own concept of it, but I'm also under the impression that concept of it should be dismantled for the same reasons it was here.

I'm saying that I don't see multicultural respect protecting this particular institution and that in practice consensual arranged marriages are dubious at best where the women involved only may have the agency to veto their place in it. Or may not have a clue what they're getting into. I mean, take my generation, we racked up inordinate amounts of college debt because that's just what you do with no idea how it would constrain our daily lives for decades moving forward. That was all consensual, baby.

But hey, i could be wrong and the bulk of them could be 20-somethings with no interest in the dating scene. It could be that modern consensual arranged marriages are neither repressive or regressive

last edited at Jul 24, 2023 6:48PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Technically she called youth Women's intrinsic value with the possibility of also having other values like smarts, which she doesn't consider Makino to have any of

Don't make me defend a character I have been calling foul since ch1!

You don't have to defend a character whose only qualities are toxic attitude, entitlement, and hypocrisy. :-)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The terms in question are consensual arranged marriages and forced arranged marriages, which focuses the point. Because I mean sure, in a vacuum, consensual arranged marriages are ethically fine, but the implication from those against it here, I'm thinking, is that in practice they might not be so consensual from an outside perspective despite not being a blatantly forced marriage. From what i can tell, it seems that (both kinds of) arranged marriages are more common in countries with weak or no feminist movements and where women are significantly less protected under the law. I understand that marriage as a concept in such places is also totally different from my own concept of it, but I'm also under the impression that concept of it should be dismantled for the same reasons it was here.

That's all reasonable, stipulating as you say that both of us are looking from the outside, and also that arranged-marriage customs vary across different cultures.

It's also worth remembering that lots of marriages face cultural constraints even in "love marriage" cultures--family pressures like disinheritance/cutting off ties, etc. for marrying the "wrong" person are as common as dirt in the US.

To reply you must either login or sign up.