Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

^ yeah it's tamen de gushi 2 but without the excuse of publisher/government meddling smh

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

Ever noticed this manga is literally "I'm edgy: the series" or "I'm weird. I'm a weirdo. I don't fit in: the manga" ???

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

Hmmm...as much as I love this series, I feel like it just keeps repeating the same dynamic without actually taking the story any further. I mean, sure a lot of stuff has happened in the last 18 chapters since Oosawa learned Mitsuki was a girl, but has any of it really mattered? I mean, if you read the latest chapter, would you really even be able to tell anything had happened since like, chapter 27? I just feel like the author is diverging in too many side stories to try and avoid developing the main two's relationships, which is a little annoying and also makes me nervous because where we are now, it's not that hard to imagine the author announcing that the story was never meant to be romantic, and was just supposed to portray a friendship. Just how I've felt lately reading the newest updates, idk.

Yeah fr, that's why when I saw a new character was being introduced earlier on I was hyped because the main story/couple was getting 0 to no progression atm, since after the discovery it just became a fluffy misunderstanding blushing yuri, so I hope we get to see something actually new in further chapters

Que_verduras_puede_comer_mi_hamster_29106_600
joined Nov 13, 2022

Hmmm...as much as I love this series, I feel like it just keeps repeating the same dynamic without actually taking the story any further. I mean, sure a lot of stuff has happened in the last 18 chapters since Oosawa learned Mitsuki was a girl, but has any of it really mattered? I mean, if you read the latest chapter, would you really even be able to tell anything had happened since like, chapter 27? I just feel like the author is diverging in too many side stories to try and avoid developing the main two's relationships, which is a little annoying and also makes me nervous because where we are now, it's not that hard to imagine the author announcing that the story was never meant to be romantic, and was just supposed to portray a friendship. Just how I've felt lately reading the newest updates, idk.

In my opinion, yes, a lot happened since 27, info that is important and really matter; and is because of something we/Narita/Aya were asking for a while, even before Aya discovered Koga is a girl: "why she dont show herself at school how she really is". If someone just stops at 27 and tries to spoil themselfs (hi me, 100% of the times haha) and just jumps at the last chapter, wouldn't know all this, why Koga acts like this. And at my point of view, is really important in their relationship, is to really got to know the person who u call friend (u are interested in); if not, is how Aya was feeling; "it's is just a stranger".

So in conclusion~ for me the side stories are not really full side stories, beacause all make sense since it directs the attention to this, plus it's gives lifes to secondary characters, something I really appreciate, since in romance mangas normally is full couple and looks like family or friends doesn't exist hahaha

CocteauTwins
joined Dec 4, 2022

hey, do you guys know what’s the plot of the others moonlight magazine ?

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

I think they're definitely gonna get together and we just need to have some in-between stuff to show that they're actually into each other so that it's not instaromance. I think this arc is all about Aya slowly realizing she likes Mitsuki. I mean it's not the most straightforward thing when you're in high school in a culture that isn't so open about homosexuality. And I think that Mitsuki being singled out for being different is a bit of a comparison to that as well.
As for the author saying it's not yuri I think she's probably referring to the typical all girls school yuri where everyone's gay and into each other. I think she means that we need to move away from yuri tropes and things like that and look at actual stories of gay women. I'm not sure how prevalent this is for yuri but for example yaoi in Japan is mostly just a fluffy fantasy for straight women. I get the feeling most yuri is a bit like that too and she doesn't want to get lumped in with that.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Perfect.

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

without the excuse of publisher/government meddling smh

Haha, to me the recent chapters felt exactly like a publisher/editor suggesting some changes to the story or sentence structure to make it more in line with what they think their readers expect (which was a bit of a bummer because a part of what made me fall in love with this series was the lack of those).

As for the author saying it's not yuri I think she's probably referring to the typical all girls school yuri where everyone's gay and into each other. I think she means that we need to move away from yuri tropes and things like that and look at actual stories of gay women. I'm not sure how prevalent this is for yuri but for example yaoi in Japan is mostly just a fluffy fantasy for straight women. I get the feeling most yuri is a bit like that too and she doesn't want to get lumped in with that.

Yeah, this.
I've tried to find and link (but failed) a oneshot I read before from an author who got an offer to draw a yuri story for the first time and her author's comments page was rambling on the meaning of the word and not being sure if her work fits the mould.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I've tried to find and link (but failed) a oneshot I read before from an author who got an offer to draw a yuri story for the first time and her author's comments page was rambling on the meaning of the word and not being sure if her work fits the mould.

Yeah, there seems to be a spectrum for when authors say, “It’s not really yuri,” ranging from, “These two girls will always be just friends with no romance,” to what pretentious filmmakers mean when they say, “This isn’t a superhero movie—it’s a film about the human condition that happens to have Batman in it.”

joined Sep 23, 2022

I am 100% sure that it is yuri

joined Sep 23, 2022

When they will kiss

joined Sep 23, 2022

Amazing yuri manga

joined Nov 13, 2022

hey, do you guys know what’s the plot of the others moonlight magazine ?

Yeap~ but since I know the translator is busy and we have to give time to things being well made ( the magazines are physical so they take more time to polish), I will not tell~

Tho to not leave someone in a nervous state hahaha magazines are more fluffy, and not really important to main story, so easy and let enjoy what we have in the while~

joined Nov 13, 2022

without the excuse of publisher/government meddling smh

Haha, to me the recent chapters felt exactly like a publisher/editor suggesting some changes to the story or sentence structure to make it more in line with what they think their readers expect (which was a bit of a bummer because a part of what made me fall in love with this series was the lack of those).

I must say I had a feeling this could happen, all popular manga/comics, or well series, all really; have a chance to in some time being influenced and not necesary from a publiser, even pressure from the public. For the moment I don't have that impresion luckily

last edited at May 25, 2023 10:16AM

joined Nov 13, 2022

I will think this while Im out, because is something I didn't wanted to do since it could start a discussion that was closed before, the "this manga is or not yuri". But since Im seeing is was not fully close or it's starting to raise again.....

So I will think if to post the screenshot of the part in which this theme is talked in the interview, one of the reason why the author said (if it's true I didn't read the other interview) is "not yuri". To make something clear tho, that part is not about THIS manga, but all her career doing manga, but explains some things.

Only thing, if I do end posting it, just please dont make this a hell hahaha that the section has being mostly in peace for now and to not gave more work to translators and admins hahaha And that their word is final in what the interview really says. Im not a translator after all and what I read can be bad interpreted

the_honeybee
20221231_135046
joined Dec 1, 2022

Ever noticed this manga is literally "I'm edgy: the series" or "I'm weird. I'm a weirdo. I don't fit in: the manga" ???

you mean, "but I'm a creep. I'm a weirdo. What the hell am I doing here? I don't belong here: the manga"?

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

you mean, "but I'm a creep. I'm a weirdo. What the hell am I doing here? I don't belong here: the manga"?

you mean, "Why so green and lonely? Heaven sent you to me: the manga"?

last edited at May 25, 2023 2:05PM

664cf739-1617-40c1-9f8a-ab01b71652f9%202
joined Sep 28, 2021

Hear me out, hear me out~ what if I lit major this chapter and say that the music and being “off beat” is a metaphor for queerness and gets strangled

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

honestly, it's kids like these, which is basically ppl, are the reason why some of us don't fit in. she lost a good friend over a damn skirt which she didn't had any. and like some of y'all, I'm curious to see if Mitsuki will run into her old elementary school friend again.

joined May 10, 2021

The amount of gay panic attacks in this one was great.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

This chapter is set a bit over a day ago

joined Jan 13, 2019

well, this is one way to learn that foo fighters put out a new album literally two days ago

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^I didnt even know they still existed- or did they recently reform? I can't recall hearing them mentioned bar this story in 10+ years..
(Not that I listen to the radio of follow popular music)

last edited at Jun 4, 2023 7:24AM

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

the drummer died but that's about it

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

^I didnt even know they still existed- or did they recently reform? I can't recall hearing them mentioned bar this story in 10+ years..
(Not that I listen to the radio of follow popular music)

They have existed fairly continuously for 30 years, I don't think they've had a span much longer than two years between singles. There have certainly been times when they were more active and times when they were less, but they've been putting out albums pretty much annually since 2020. The album Mitsuki gives to Aya at the beginning of the series, Dream Widow, is FF.

To reply you must either login or sign up.