Forum › Liar Satsuki Can See Death discussion

20221231_135046
joined Dec 1, 2022

I loved that the wasp girl was going on about them even as she was being hauled into the ambulance. New favourite character there.

What was the last panel?

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Please not bug girl. Please.
Please she's SO SWEET-

Also, why the heck did that hornet sting her? It wasn't provoked in any way that I can tell, unless there really were some larvae left and it was protecting them(though I doubt it, I don't think it'd leave them out in the open like that).
As far as I know, hornets and wasps went attack unless provoked or you run from them(why do the angry yellow stabby bugs have a strong chase instinct. why.), though I may be getting them mixed up with the behaviour of yellowjackets.

Maybe it was aggrevated since the nest was disposed of

I called it

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

I loved that the wasp girl was going on about them even as she was being hauled into the ambulance. New favourite character there.

What was the last panel?

Lmao same, making sure the wasp wasn’t blamed or misunderstood.

Also dunno, maybe she wanted itou to die?

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

The fucking rant as she was being taken to the ambulance made me lose it. I love bug girl.

Also, on the last page Komachi is either thinking “poor Bug-kun he just wanted to kill” or is starting to realise that Satsuki knowing this would happen to Itou is suspicious.
Idk what would happen if she found out about Satsuki actually seeing corpses. Up until now she went along with everything but it doesn’t seem like she’s as aware of the supernatural aspect of it as the other girls are.

Either way, she looks pretty here and I hate it. This little sociopath gremlin shouldn’t look this hot.

03fca6214046e15b1cbd7ed7cd767b1a
joined May 26, 2020

I think Komachi is a person that believes the life and death of someone should never be tempered with, so its like

Satsuki - Wants to save everyone she can
Komachi - Believes life and death is a set in stone destiny so later on she might kill everyone who had a near death experience but was saved by Satsuki, she kills them to make them "fulfill their destiny"
Pres - just a piece of shit, I don't even wanna explain anymore
(if this rant doesn't make sense, it's because I'm tired, sleepy, starving and in a state of delirium)

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

SENSEI MVP

104862384_163321402026623_940764867392595174_n
joined Jan 26, 2022

Alright Komachi, it's time to see what your deal is (•ิ_•ิ)

Also W throw there Sensei

Screen%20shot%202020-07-16%20at%209.34.01%20pm
joined Mar 25, 2020

komachi pulling out all her wild cards bro don't even know what

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I think Komachi is a person that believes the life and death of someone should never be tempered with, so its like

Satsuki - Wants to save everyone she can
Komachi - Believes life and death is a set in stone destiny so later on she might kill everyone who had a near death experience but was saved by Satsuki, she kills them to make them "fulfill their destiny"
Pres - just a piece of shit, I don't even wanna explain anymore
(if this rant doesn't make sense, it's because I'm tired, sleepy, starving and in a state of delirium)

I agree. Given how Komachi's character has been built so far, she seems to be ok with doing anything, even wrong things, for the sake of "helping". What if she catches up into the "the deaths will continue until they are fulfilled" logic of whatever force they are dealing with and thinks killing herself and her classmates would help them, by not putting them in danger anymore.
Although she doesn't strike as a person who would come to this conclusion out of a sense of duty because she rarely thinks for herself, apparently never doing what she wants to do and going along with whatever other want even if it is absurd. She might misinterpret like when she taught Satsuki wanted to die, she even realized she was wrong (no signs of remorse tho), but had she really killed Satsuki at that moment it would be because "it was what she wanted" and not out of Komachi's personal wishes. With that said, she might as well be what triggers all the deaths at once because someone told her to do it — perhaps the damn president — not because she herself came to that conclusion, but because "it's what they wanted", even if it meant having herself killed. Maybe it would be with a bomb (?), but it's really hard to make out what would cause so much blood to splash with no signs of other things breaking on that "future" scene.

last edited at Apr 7, 2023 5:59PM

25807f2f-52d2-4bcf-84a8-46471290408c
joined May 3, 2022

sees wasp laying on the ground
Oh. REST IN NO FUCKING PEACE YOU FUCKING EVIL LITTLE SHITS.

Komachi warning the wasp girl Itou, “be safe out there” before she ran out is...mysterious?

25807f2f-52d2-4bcf-84a8-46471290408c
joined May 3, 2022

sees wasp laying on the ground
Oh. REST IN NO FUCKING PEACE YOU FUCKING EVIL LITTLE SHITS.

Komachi warning the wasp girl Itou, “be safe out there” before she ran out is...mysterious?

I
joined Mar 3, 2022

I’M IN LOVE WITH THIS CHAPTER AND SERIES SO GOOD

also my legitimate first reading of the komachi scene was she sent the bug as an assassin but that doesn’t make much sense does it

sweetjalapeno15
Ne
joined Nov 21, 2017

can akira and satsuki pleaseee get together already it hurts

my good fellow the series is not about this. there’s people that are DYING!!!!

idc where is my yuri

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Y'know I am re-reading the manga nd this sequence in chapter 10 made me realize something: never mind not being able to read people and being void of feelings, Komachi's straight up evil.
Look at that face.

Also her eyes on page 6 after Satsuki rejects the idea of "stoping to lie about people dying", they are evil eyes, and empty even. Right after that, she just shifts. Could she be the actual devil? She has been plotting something from the start, I thought that at first she was oblivious, but in light of the latest chapter's last page and how Komachi going to the place Itou almost died is framed as important, taking a look at all previous instances where she were creepy made me realize that she might indeed have bad intentions when doing everything she does.

She now doesn't strike me as dangerously unaware anymore but as a very calculating character from the very start.

'Komachi is the fucking Antichrist' theory stronger than ever for me

last edited at Apr 7, 2023 7:46PM

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

I feel like the implication here is Komachi can see premonitory corpses. There's no good reason why she would be there, it comes as a hard-cut from Sensei asking how Satsuki knows people are going to die, and there's even the suspicious panel of her at the beginning cautiously telling Ami to be careful.

That said, Komachi remains one giant misleading ??? so who knows if that's right. It would be weird of her to see corpses this whole time and never do anything, but then again 'weird' and 'not doing anything' might as well be her middle names. I'm not prepared to reread the entire manga for the nth time and see how this adds up but there's a couple key scenes that come to mind. Her telling Satsuki she's not a good person, her confronting Satsuki on why she tells people they're going to die (which could have a very different reading if she's aware of the deaths and is literally asking about the act of warning people itself) and her saying she can never stick to her own choices. That gay little locker talk is sure to be critical to whatever's coming up.

I think Komachi could potentially represent a third perspective to Satsuki's suicidal altruism and Prez's self-righteous sociopathy: a numb sense of non-interventionism. Komachi accepts everything including the inevitability of death. She goes along with it all unquestioningly. If it's her time, or one of her best friend's time to die, that's all there is to it. The only time she ever acts is in accomplice to others, never changing events for herself.

She's an interesting character; she manages to be both sympathetic and unnerving despite her scarce appearances, only ever giving flashes of who she really is, building this conflicting image where every innocent thing she does starts to set you on edge. It's impossible to get a clear picture yet and I'm not sure I have the answer here. She's sure to be a major player in the final act whenever it comes and maybe this is the start of her taking steps to the forefront. She's been nothing but a victim so far so I'd love to see how she adapted to this mentality, what it would take to make her act, and what she's capable of. No doubt it'll get worse than helping Satsuki off a ledge.

Once again she reminds me in a lot of ways of Tokiko from Ryoko's last manga, though I'd rather wait until more's revealed before trying to draw comparisons. But if you read Walk to Death you probably get what I mean.

Also god I love the way Ryoko draws hair.

Fcolu7zauaqic2k
joined Sep 14, 2015

What the hell is this school??
If not for Satsuki there would have been more 10 deaths in this school year.
If a school like that exists, the public would have explode.

7277b022-9e31-4bec-a22e-b7ad36fb501e
joined Sep 5, 2019

And now this time it was actually just an accident for bug girl almost dying, but man I loved how she was just rambling about wasps as she was being carried in a stretcher.

Is it time for more Komachi finally?

7277b022-9e31-4bec-a22e-b7ad36fb501e
joined Sep 5, 2019

And now this time it was actually just an accident for bug girl almost dying, but man I loved how she was just rambling about wasps as she was being carried in a stretcher.

Is it time for more Komachi finally?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

What the hell is this school??
If not for Satsuki there would have been more 10 deaths in this school year.
If a school like that exists, the public would have explode.

I think the implication of the first couple of chapters was that by saving Komachi early on, Satsuki has unwittingly set off some kind of chain reaction that resulted to an ever-growing number of (near-)deaths around them. Whether Komachi is literally the Antichrist, can see premonitory bodies, or was just abused as a child to the point of losing all touch with herself and with reality, doesn't really matter. She should have been decapitated in chapter 1 and tampering with that broke something in the death mechanism. If not for her survival, even President Blockhead's murders would not have made the school stand out statistically.

AutumnWaterXIII
joined May 29, 2022

Ah yes, the dark heroine komachi strikes again…. Is sensei finally gonna join the Satsuki mystery gang?

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

Bug girl is best girl. Also, to quote my wife: "Well looks like she don't need CPR."

I'll also join the "Komachi can see premonitory corpses" camp. And her prescribing to the idea that the predictions should come true would explain some things. Like why her survival may have been a bad thing and trying to "help" Satsuki fall to her death. (Maybe people that can see premonitory corposes can't see their own?)

She should have been decapitated in chapter 1 and tampering with that broke something in the death mechanism.

I really hope the story doesn't go the Final Destination type of "fate is real and actively conspires to kill people" plot device. That just undermines the entire point of stories about predictive superpowers, since what's the point of watching a character struggle to make the world better if there's some kind of omniscient entity ensuring that their successes are just drawn out failures in disguise?

That and I have a distinct distaste for the concepts of fate and destiny. The idea that certain people are just meant to be in certain positions is an excuse for entirely too much apathy in society.

joined Feb 21, 2023

Gotta say, as someone who never studied for math and barely listened in class, Satsuki is right about math tests. The answers are there. You just gotta figure it out.

joined Feb 21, 2023

Gotta say, as someone who never studied for math and barely listened in class, Satsuki is right about math tests. The answers are there. You just gotta figure it out.

I seriously relate so hard with Satsuki on math. The feeling of trying to help someone with math and having no idea how to explain it to them because it just seems obvious is exactly how it goes for me. It feels like a guessing game of how close do I need to get to saying x thing is itself before it makes sense to the other person.

Moddedpolka2
joined Oct 9, 2016

As a TTRPG player and occasional GM, if I didn't have a fantasy game in the works, I would try to make this manga into a (short?) RPG campaign... It would throw my group who are used to fantasy and military games completely off balance. Tehehe... Well. Gotta save the idea for the future.

And it's also interesting that I like this manga quite a bit even though normally I would actively avoid these tags. I don't even remember why I looked at this in the first place.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

She should have been decapitated in chapter 1 and tampering with that broke something in the death mechanism.

I really hope the story doesn't go the Final Destination type of "fate is real and actively conspires to kill people" plot device. That just undermines the entire point of stories about predictive superpowers, since what's the point of watching a character struggle to make the world better if there's some kind of omniscient entity ensuring that their successes are just drawn out failures in disguise?

That and I have a distinct distaste for the concepts of fate and destiny. The idea that certain people are just meant to be in certain positions is an excuse for entirely too much apathy in society.

I think you are wrong in anthropomorphizing fate, such as ascribing intention and sentience to it. In my view, what people in the past have called "fate" is actually an emergent self-organizing behavior of the world-system that limits feasible future states to a smaller subset of all possible future sates of said system. It doesn't take a Satsuki to "foresee" when and where the corpse of someone plummeting from 10 stories high will be found. In this sense, her precognition is just a quantitative increase of sensitivity toward a particular kind of future states. Furthermore, each of her rescues had run the risk of inducing a massive regime change in (her local bubble of) the world-system, and Komachi's just happened to be the one that did. Hence, there is nothing sentient or intentional about the "fate" that Satsuki is fighting, merely an irregular (and, hopefully, localized) state of the world-system that may or may not have been reached had Satsuki not been able to save Komachi.

last edited at Apr 10, 2023 6:28AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.