Forum › Shoujo Manga Protagonist x Rival-san discussion

Shihohon-min
joined Apr 16, 2022

I’ve been seeing this here and there and I’m wondering if I should pick it up, but I’m worried this manga isn’t more than [Protag wants her male crush’s attention and tries something] -> [Rival saying something threatening and demeaning] -> [Punchline where rival is actually super into the Protag]. Is there real development?

I think this series was already finished and it had actual development for the main characters? Not sure tho

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

I’ve been seeing this here and there and I’m wondering if I should pick it up, but I’m worried this manga isn’t more than [Protag wants her male crush’s attention and tries something] -> [Rival saying something threatening and demeaning] -> [Punchline where rival is actually super into the Protag]. Is there real development?

There's a lot of progress. Right now we're at:

[Protag wants her male crush’s attention and tries something] -> [Rival says something threatening and anxious] -> [Punchline where Protag was actually interested in Rival but unsure]

I think this series was already finished and it had actual development for the main characters? Not sure tho

Yeah it's been done.

last edited at Apr 7, 2023 10:03AM

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

The raws are already finished. The end was so good. Spoiler: Rival-san gets the tables turned at her by the thirsty and bold Kimura at the end lol. It was the best reversal I've seen in a while. Hiyama is so pure-hearted xD. I've read the serialized version.

last edited at Apr 7, 2023 10:47AM

Anime%20girl%20bong%20small
joined Jan 1, 2022

This is probably the stupidest series I read regularly. It's like junk food. It can't be healthy, but I can't stop consuming it.

joined May 3, 2014

This is probably the stupidest series I read regularly. It's like junk food. It can't be healthy, but I can't stop consuming it.

that’s EXACTLY how I feel JUST by reading the comments XD so i’m here for the comments every time a new chapter is out, becauss the story is actualy junk food :/

joined Oct 3, 2021

The raws are already finished. The end was so good. Spoiler: Rival-san gets the tables turned at her by the thirsty and bold Kimura at the end lol. It was the best reversal I've seen in a while. Hiyama is so pure-hearted xD. I've read the serialized version.

Nice, it went MagiRevo

last edited at Apr 7, 2023 1:04PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I' might be going out on a limb here, but I don't think the bullying flirting combo will catch on as pick up technique.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I would like to see a Yandere tag on this. Is that reasonable? The Rival-san is positively scary.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

It is fascinating to see Kimura's change, not only of her target of affection, but also of how she approaches these confrontations. She finds it easier to converse with the boytoy now than to face Hiyama due to being too conscious of her. But at the same time she is far more honest with Hiyama as well. She is clearly starting to go along with her and predict her reactions in a more adaptive way than when she still pretended she was being bullied.

The morning walk chapter implies that she agreed to locking arms while going to school and that they go to school together regularly at the same time. She lets Hiyama close in and get more physical on purpose.
And the make-up chapter shows that she already predicated Hiyama's reaction to her wearing make-up and didn't misinterpret it this time. She learned her lesson from the change of hairstyle chapter about Hiyama's possessiveness and dislike of Kimura showing off her cuteness to others and actively wanted to avoid it. That's also why she reacted so mellowly to getting fussed over at the end.

I simply enjoy seeing a character who at best was resetting her expectations and perception every chapter shapeshift to suit the girl who she has true feelings for now. The contrast between her mostly being passive or self-depreciating when approaching the boytoy compared to her actively adapting to Hiyama is great.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I' might be going out on a limb here, but I don't think the bullying flirting combo will catch on as pick up technique.

I thought that was the whole basis for that real life stupid pickup artist/jerk craze a few years ago.

last edited at Apr 8, 2023 12:26PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Agreed. But you know, it's pretty well executed stupid junk food. There is an art to junk too. :D

New
joined Aug 4, 2016

Oh, she's thirsty all right.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Hiyama's utter lack of filter is truly a sight to behold. She couldn't care less about tropes or reading the room. Tomoe's mistake was to think she was dealing with a person when she was instead grappling a wrecking ball.

Chibi%20raiden%20pfp
joined Jun 17, 2016

Oh. My. GOD! Tomoe, please! Stop meddling with your friend's love matter! Can't you see she's already switched her sight on Hiyama?! If you really wanna help your friend out with her relationship, think of a way to stop Hiyama making blunders for goodness sake instead, will ya??? ToT

joined Sep 1, 2017

It's like the author said to their publisher, "I have a great idea for a manga. I'm going to take the gag side plot from a harem romance series, and make it the whole story. I can get 33+ chapters out of it easily, and the one joke will NEVER get old".
Well at least we had some serious forward movement in the yuri love story this chapter. But if the author holds true to form, they're going to either ignore that it ever happened, or reboot the series AGAIN.

Edit: Slight change for clarity.

last edited at Apr 10, 2023 9:29PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Starting to really notice how her feelings have changed in this version as well. :D

It's like the author said to their publisher, "I have a great idea for a manga. I'm going to take the gag plot from a harem romance series, and make it the whole story. I can get 33+ chapters out of it easily, and the one joke will NEVER get old".
Well at least we had some serious forward movement in the yuri love story this chapter. But if the author holds true to form, they're going to either ignore that it ever happened, or reboot the series AGAIN.

Please don't forget that the previous chapters of volume 3 were the web version, while this and the rest will be the magazine version's.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

The corruption seeps in deep,and the best friend finally gets a full faced clue about the reality of the situation.

More!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It's like the author said to their publisher, "I have a great idea for a manga. I'm going to take the gag plot from a harem romance series, and make it the whole story. I can get 33+ chapters out of it easily, and the one joke will NEVER get old".

You gotta admit . . . if so, they weren't wrong.
But given the web-and-then-magazine thing, presumably it was more like a publisher noticing them DEMONSTRATE this, and then said "Hey, how'd you like to prove that theory a bit further, for some actual money?"

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

No wonder Kimura is confused about her feelings, she has her friends pushing her into the arms of the boy, and therefore thinks that's what she should want.

joined Sep 1, 2017

You gotta admit . . . if so, they weren't wrong.
But given the web-and-then-magazine thing, presumably it was more like a publisher noticing them DEMONSTRATE this, and then said "Hey, how'd you like to prove that theory a bit further, for some actual money?"

Oh it got old pretty darn quick. At least for me. Basically I'm just continuing to read the series because I keep hoping it will move on to the actual romance portion of the series.
The end of this chapter made me cautiously optimistic. But this series has let me down more than once.

last edited at Apr 10, 2023 9:46PM

joined Feb 20, 2023

Starting to really notice how her feelings have changed in this version as well. :D

Please don't forget that the previous chapters of volume 3 were the web version, while this and the rest will be the magazine version's.

I feel like this series should be broken up into a [serialized] and [webcomic] version because I'm noticing a lot of confusion in the comments and it even throws me off when I jump back in after a few months waiting for updates.

In short though, chart aside, I assume if there are 4 pages it's webcomic canon and if there are much more it's serialized canon?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I feel like this series should be broken up into a [serialized] and [webcomic] version because I'm noticing a lot of confusion in the comments and it even throws me off when I jump back in after a few months waiting for updates.

In short though, chart aside, I assume if there are 4 pages it's webcomic canon and if there are much more it's serialized canon?

The problem with splitting it - as its first translations apparently were - is that the volumes have additional chapters as well, and splitting them would cause another mess with the numbering of chapters. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Probably safe to assume so, yeah. I've never quite managed to forget the chart being at the end of chapter 11, though, so it's easy enough to always check it to be sure.

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

ahh it has finally become mizushima third wheeling

joined Aug 11, 2022

On one hand chapter 40-42 is stuff I already seen months-almost a year ago in the old version....but on the other there is also minor new stuff that I hadn't seen before.

Our MC(protagonist) is knowing how to deal with the [Rival/love interest] and even find her tsundere/silliness/misunderstanding bully actions funny and cute XD-->>Chapter 40-42 I already seen long time ago but it still somewhat fun to reread.

Welp at least we(I) now hopefully no longer see the old stuff from the old version and finally progress to newer stuff I didn't get to see yet like them going on 'Real' dates, getting matching rings or bracelets, kissing on cheeks or even lip and possible even the most lewdest of acts as the finale...

HAND-HOLDING

I know...it too lewd right?! We going to need the NSFW tag when that happens.

last edited at Apr 27, 2023 11:59PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.