Forum › Be Careful, Onee-san (Serialization) discussion

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I do think we may have left behind the timing for being startled by the giant grade schooler, like maybe 30 pages ago now.

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

Yuki confirmed as serious love rival! But for how long?

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

I don't think Yuki's actually in love with Tae in a romantic way (and am completely prepared to be proven wrong later). She's desperate for a loving Onee-sama and Tae just so happens to be her Onee-sama of choice.
Mai's flirting still feels so much more deliberate and directed.

I agree wholeheartedly. I feel like there's going to be a point where the difference in how these two feel about Tae will be clearly defined, and I'm looking forward to it.

Soooooo.... Any comments you 2?

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

My question is, are the two friends dating? They seem like they'd make for a cute pairing.

Lomographic Colored Past
74ec91ae-b46c-44be-9b5e-7c40e1fb423d
joined Dec 29, 2016

The new black haired girl gives me a Netsuzou Trap Hotaru vibes. If you put it that way, grade schoolers are kinda scary. Lol.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I feel bad for Yuki here.
I was planning to overcome this feeling on my own is a hurtful way to think about a crush, but she is being realistic here. But with her shipper friends supporting her? Huh.

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

My heart can't take the frequency of uploads. nice work as always tho^^

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

YuriPanda posted:

My heart can't take the frequency of uploads. nice work as always tho^^

Is because they work with the full volumes, once they're done with vol 3 we'll have to wait patiently again for a while.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Japanese girls and women are in mortal danger from colds. As compensation, Nature allows them to find their ideal mate by a simple running with toast in their mouth ritual.

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

I don't think Yuki's actually in love with Tae in a romantic way (and am completely prepared to be proven wrong later). She's desperate for a loving Onee-sama and Tae just so happens to be her Onee-sama of choice.

I agree wholeheartedly. I feel like there's going to be a point where the difference in how these two feel about Tae will be clearly defined, and I'm looking forward to it.

Damn, getting shot down that fast is a new record.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I think Yuki is so troubled she easily deludes herself. A sisterly relationship with Tae would make her truly happy. She just doesn't want to share her sister with Mai as a girlfriend. It's pure little sister selfishness, not romance let alone sex.

Her friends are savvy but not enough, or they'd let her down gently. A blind girl could see she's wrapped up in Mai-chan irretrievably.

Also, to answer Tae's question from the yukata chapter:

Morning Glory flowers traditionally hold the symbolic meaning of unrequited love and obsession in the language of flowers. In Japan the flower is symbolic of both innocence and love, making it a common gift between young lovers.

last edited at Jan 5, 2023 11:34PM

joined Apr 16, 2022

I do think Yuki's feelings are sort of mixed up with her gratitude for and admiration of Tae as the first adult who ever treated her with respect. She doesn't even really know Tae that well, after all. That does form a contrast with Mai who has a stronger connection to Tae as a person. Whether or not they both feel the same type of "romantic love" is just a matter of semantics.

joined Aug 20, 2022

Welp! Lmao (for those who don't wanna check I'm the second comment)

Not the best at speculating. At the very least, I'm still waiting on Mai to put a name to her feelings. I'm just here to enjoy the ride lol

last edited at Jan 6, 2023 12:23AM

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

The names of Yuki's friends... is the author a Touhou fan maybe?

last edited at Jan 6, 2023 2:33AM

joined Jan 24, 2022

Loli love triangle

Yuki: is a loli, looks like a loli
Mai: is a loli, but does not look like a loli
Tae: is not a loli, but looks like a loli

Moddedpolka2
joined Oct 9, 2016

Not a fan of love triangles. I usually skip those tags completely. But if it stays at this level and the series will continue to be a comedy, then it's okay. I hope.

It also helps that The Triangle is not the main point/story/focus of the series.

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

I'm still more than halfway convinced every instance of "mature" Mai is just distortion from the lens of Tae being an unreliable narrator about her attraction.

Ch.21 introduces two new characters and one is a precocious brat. But even though the framing around how Yukari asks her question is undeniably showing awareness, Tae seems to field the question gracefully and relatively innocently, quite unlike how she is with Mai.

I like Ran's design. Short messy hair is cute!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Nice kabedon.

Poor Hime-chan, there's no way she could win against Mai.

My question is, are the two friends dating? They seem like they'd make for a cute pairing.

Probably not, seeing how Ran still apparently needs Yukari to explain things to her. But I would not be too surprised if they were, either.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Probably not, seeing how Ran still apparently needs Yukari to explain things to her. But I would not be too surprised if they were, either.

Well if they're not then we need at least some bonus chapters where they bond and then start dating :D

joined Aug 29, 2019

In spite of current evidence I maintain my position.
Yuki's obsessed and fascinated with Tae, but regardless of what they themselves may think, probably has not actually fallen in love in a romantic sense. She's for once found an adult who's kind, gentle and attentive to her needs, so she's understandably jealous that someone else might be hogging her attention.
Yukari may think that Yuki's actually in love with her, which may contribute to Yuki herself thinking that as well, but I don't think that's actually what's happening.
Time will tell and I wouldn't be surprised if I'll have to concede within this volume.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

DschingisKhan posted:

I'm still more than halfway convinced every instance of "mature" Mai is just distortion from the lens of Tae being an unreliable narrator about her attraction.

I said this before but there were some occasions when Shino san noticed the obviously flirtatious behavior of the big loli, so yeah... it is there, even now she's doing a freaking Kabedon in the lockers XD that's no fantasy

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

I don't think Yuki's actually in love with Tae in a romantic way (and am completely prepared to be proven wrong later). She's desperate for a loving Onee-sama and Tae just so happens to be her Onee-sama of choice..
...Mai's flirting still feels so much more deliberate and directed

In spite of current evidence I maintain my position.
Yuki's obsessed and fascinated with Tae...

These are most probably by design. Mai acting the way she does and how she looks are practically the crux of the series. Yuki doesn't have that "defined" place within the overall dynamic, but she slid in after and as a result of her interactions with Tae, and I think now we're in the process of finding her "place" in the series.

Rather than outright in love, I'd say her being infatuated with Tae is the most accurate description, and it doesn't necessarily matter whether it's a romantic connection or a sisterly one, it might even end up being both, with Yuki fulfilling the very loving younger sister trope/slot. I'd say the biggest evidence of that would actually be how competitive against Mai she is in anything that relates to Tae, the happenings of this chapter only serve to cement and reinforce what was already implied. Either case, I think that Yuki views Tae as far more than a regular big-sister figure, I think that much is rather clear.

In any case and about the recent chapters themselves. I'm not too sure what this series wants to do with itself both in general and specifically regarding Yuki. I don't know how I feel about these developments - do I want any payoff, what would be a good payoff in my book here, was having Yuki as a "rival" even necessary? I'm actually rather fond of her as a character, but in truth, I don't think Yuki was originally planned as part of the series, and I do not think she was ever needed. With all that said, what I do know is that I am very entertained and that I still think this series is surprisingly well-written, all things considered. I want to say fuck it, go big or go home, but I do not know that this is what I want.

joined Apr 16, 2022

In any case and about the recent chapters themselves. I'm not too sure what this series wants to do with itself both in general and specifically regarding Yuki. I don't know how I feel about these developments - do I want any payoff, what would be a good payoff in my book here, was having Yuki as a "rival" even necessary? I'm actually rather fond of her as a character, but in truth, I don't think Yuki was originally planned as part of the series, and I do not think she was ever needed. With all that said, what I do know is that I am very entertained and that I still think this series is surprisingly well-written, all things considered. I want to say fuck it, go big or go home, but I do not know that this is what I want.

Yuki was definitely not originally planned, but that's very common. Most mangaka have no idea how many volumes they'll get, so they generally start out with a small cast and straightforward plot that they can end in a volume or two if they have to. Then, if the series is popular enough for the serialization to continue, they can expand the world. Introducing new characters is one of the easiest ways to create new conflict/tension once the original inciting incident is resolved (in this manga's case, that would be Tae accepting her crush on Mai), which is why so many manga do it. This is not necessarily a problem as long as it's executed well, and I think Yuki has mostly added to the manga so far by showing how strong Mai and Tae's bond has gotten -- such as in the cold chapter where Mai was the only one who noticed Tae was putting up a front.

As for how her arc will end, I assume she will eventually get the courage to confess to Tae, who will then have to find a way to let her down gently. The question is how this will impact Mai; I can see that going a number of different ways depending on where the author wants to take the manga next. Maybe it'll even happen at the end of this volume?

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Yuki was definitely not originally planned, but that's very common...and I think Yuki has mostly added to the manga so far by showing how strong Mai and Tae's bond has gotten...

Right. It's kinda hard to explain, especially since in my own head it makes sense, but for the most part, many series feel like they have these few backup characters or ideas in their sleeve already so that they could still keep going. When thinking about both Mai and Hitomi, they both have their own little schtick that helps define them, the former being the seductress and the latter the mute wildcard, these ideas have been in place from the get-go. It doesn't exactly feel that way with Yuki, she doesn't exactly have that schtick unless hating grown-ups or being rich count as such, and I think right now the series is trying to figure out how to fit her in or what exactly her place is.

As for how her arc will end, I assume she will eventually get the courage to confess to Tae, who will then have to find a way to let her down gently. The question is how this will impact Mai; I can see that going a number of different ways depending on where the author wants to take the manga next. Maybe it'll even happen at the end of this volume?

Definitely possible, but for some reason, it feels like a really weird development for me. It feels too definitive, I think. I do think that Yuki's involvement will help Mai figure out what Tae actually means to her, but I can't really see Tae being confessed to by anyone at this point. Unless the series goes full Ikenai Otona in which case, by all means, please do.

last edited at Jan 6, 2023 3:28PM

joined Apr 16, 2022

When thinking about both Mai and Hitomi, they both have their own little schtick that helps define them, the former being the seductress and the latter the mute wildcard, these ideas have been in place from the get-go. It doesn't exactly feel that way with Yuki, she doesn't exactly have that schtick unless hating grown-ups or being rich count as such, and I think right now the series is trying to figure out how to fit her in or what exactly her place is.

I see your point. I think the main difference with Yuki though is not that she wasn't planned, but that her attitude and behavior toward Tae went through a major shift at the end of volume 2. So her shtick in volume 2 of being loli Draco Malfoy no longer applies, and this volume is establishing a new baseline for her -- mostly being awkward and bumbling, lol.

Definitely possible, but for some reason, it feels like a really weird development for me. It feels too definitive, I think. I do think that Yuki's involvement will help Mai figure out what Tae actually means to her, but I can't really see Tae being confessed to by anyone at this point. Unless the series goes full Ikenai Otona in which case, by all means, please do.

It all depends on how far the mangaka wants (or is willing) to go. If they're willing to actually let Mai and Tae date, we could see developments soon. If not, we'll probably just have slice-of-life hijinks until the manga ends. I'll enjoy it either way, but I won't front -- I think the former would be more interesting.

To reply you must either login or sign up.