Forum › Matazoro. discussion

joined May 1, 2015

Mariya is a strong rival but Shiki can take her.

Mariya is giving me yandere vibes. She makes me anxious.

I am sure Shiki is the ultimate femme fatale, as in the literal translation of the definition.
It is the nice quiet ones that you must always watch out for.

Divalshfgd_400x400
joined Jan 18, 2017

If all Mariya wants is Koto to be happy, then she needs to take a better look at her. Because Koto doesn't look happy at all.

KenshiroEverydayLifeIsFun
joined Dec 22, 2021

If all Mariya wants is Koto to be happy, then she needs to take a better look at her. Because Koto doesn't look happy at all.

Koto wants to change and she's happy with the progress. Maybe she pushed herself a bit too much but I don't see any issues yet.

last edited at Jan 9, 2023 3:05AM

joined Sep 25, 2022

Even so, it says quite a lot about Mariya and Koto's relationship if even just Mariya's presence is a trigger for Koto.

I have a strong feeling that Mariya is in fact a bit yandere for Koto, but I also believe she truly wants Koto to be better and live better. However, she might unknowingly be gaslighting Koto and herself with that belief for her own possibly subconscious selfishness, which is why such a low key toxic relationship developed in the first place. Either way, I'm excited to see how this develops.

Laminatestasis
Blushy%20(1)
joined Jun 14, 2022

Even so, it says quite a lot about Mariya and Koto's relationship if even just Mariya's presence is a trigger for Koto.

I have a strong feeling that Mariya is in fact a bit yandere for Koto, but I also believe she truly wants Koto to be better and live better. However, she might unknowingly be gaslighting Koto and herself with that belief for her own possibly subconscious selfishness, which is why such a low key toxic relationship developed in the first place. Either way, I'm excited to see how this develops.

This sums up how I've felt about this pretty accurately. Their relationship is clearly toxic, but not destructively so as of yet. I feel like it's gonna come to a head at some point and the others will have to get involved.

Shiki v Mariya gonna be a brawl though.

Amazing Despair
12a1
joined May 12, 2019

This sums up how I've felt about this pretty accurately. Their relationship is clearly toxic, but not destructively so as of yet. I feel like it's gonna come to a head at some point and the others will have to get involved.

Shiki v Mariya gonna be a brawl though.

If I were to add something, I guess it looks like they're both stuck in their bad relationship, because Mariya just doesn't look like someone that can be reasoned with, so the only way forward/trigger for change might be Koto's eventual breakdown. I just hope she gets together with Shiki

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

I don't see why it has to be taken so negatively. Of course the current situation is straining for Koto, but she has been unhappy and ashamed with her own helplessness from the start. Even if it's difficult, actually changing, with someone who keeps pushing her past her (very low) limits, goes in the direction she has always been wishing for ever since she cut ties with Mariya.

There is also the fact that none of what Koto is forcing herself to do right now is actually excessive in any way. Making an effort to go against her lazy nature and do normal things isn't bad.

With enough time and opportunities (such as the cultural festival mentioned at the end of the chapter), Koto might eventually be able to do things proactively without it being such an effort that she needs someone to keep her in check.

joined Sep 25, 2022

I don't see why it has to be taken so negatively. Of course the current situation is straining for Koto, but she has been unhappy and ashamed with her own helplessness from the start. Even if it's difficult, actually changing, with someone who keeps pushing her past her (very low) limits, goes in the direction she has always been wishing for ever since she cut ties with Mariya.

There is also the fact that none of what Koto is forcing herself to do right now is actually excessive in any way. Making an effort to go against her lazy nature and do normal things isn't bad.

With enough time and opportunities (such as the cultural festival mentioned at the end of the chapter), Koto might eventually be able to do things proactively without it being such an effort that she needs someone to keep her in check.

I'm not disputing the fact that Koto's desire to be self-sufficient is or isn't a noble one. I think it's worthy of praise to try to improve yourself to be the best person you can be. In fact, both Koto and Mariya believe this fundamental fact.

However, if it is clear that they both agree on this one point, why is it that Koto still feels anxious about this "self-improvement" relationship with Mariya, to the point that the "flunked-a-grade" crew all resoundingly noticed a concerning change in Koto's behavior?

Now, it's possible that there was some sort of traumatic experience that would cause Koto to feel distanced from Mariya, but with the current information at hand, I think it comes down to something more rooted in their relationship. They have lost sight of the goal, the desire for Koto to become self-sufficient, and have turned toward a new metric: avoiding disappointment.

Mariya has, in my eyes, developed into some sort of helicopter parent for Koto. She has an almost dictorial way of "babying" her, even to the point where she creates an over the top self-help calendar that instructs Koto's development schedule over an entire month. In essence, she wants the best for her "child", much like how the "child" wants the best for herself as well. The issue lies in the fact that in trying to accommodate as much as possible to what she believes is best for Koto, she loses sight on what actually is good for her. This is the main reason why I called Mariya "yandere". Often times, yandere characters show intense admiration to their object of affection, to the point of misery for said object of affection.

On the other hand, Koto feels an intense urge to not disappoint what is essentially her closest friend. She puts on a painfully obvious facade of "put-togetherness" to her friends and when she finds that there are no drinks to provide for the others, she freezes up entirely, unsure of what to do. She is essentially fearful of failure, and even the presence of Mariya is the dreaded prospect of being placed under another expectation that she could potentially undercut.

While it is true that nothing seriously damaging has happened as of yet (though, one could argue that Mariya was a major reason why Koto flunked a grade), the point of contention is that their current relationship is not sustainable at all, and could potentially spiral into another bout of intense depression for Koto. That being said, this is all speculation, and it is possible, even likely, that the mangaka will develop the story differently from what I've stated.

Wsewamzlrlff%20(2)
joined Jul 2, 2018

Man this is so concerning right now, hope we get a big change again soon. Mariya gives me bad vibes but she's also a teenager, and she's trying her best at what she thinks is the right plan of action, hope it all works out

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

Someone get that poor girl some therapy, or something

20230811_115727_adobe_express
joined Sep 21, 2019

I have feelings about this, but I don't know which.
also seems a bit like koto has heavy depression like symptoms, but are attributed to being spoiled instead of, well depression.

^ this

Some of the mini-breakdowns she has also hit me as fairly neurodivergent (freezing up entirely when she goes to get drinks and there aren't any, for example). Ofc that's not necessarily the case here, but I relate to these a lot. Either way it's safe to say we can't accurately sum it up to something like a "lazy nature" at all

Img_5033%204
joined Jan 18, 2021

I keep reading this because I have come to really care about the characters, which seems to be the best reason to read anything. But, for goodness sake, it is not comedy. For the most part it is almost unbearably sad.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

At this point Koto will never not be the most useless human in existence.

joined May 1, 2015

I didn't know I needed glasses Kaede manager ver. so badly.
I loved the round about way of getting to Tomoe through her wife, I mean manager.

Undertale%20deltarune%20fukufire%20skateboard%20gay
joined Aug 4, 2021

I think koto's anxiety around mariya reflects how important she is to koto

when youre in a position like koto's it's easy to so thoroughly convince yourself that the people who love you are wasting their time that their love becomes just another reminder of how worthless you feel

last edited at Jan 18, 2023 3:46AM

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

Someone get that poor girl some therapy, or something

Somehow, my previoous comment still holds up very much. Get Koto some damn therapy.
Also, I relate far too much with Koto

last edited at Jan 23, 2023 4:30AM

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

I freak love Kaede she's so adorable. Easily my favorite character. I didn't like her and Tomoe being the two that look like they will be the couple. But they really suit each other especially after this chapter.

And I didn't realize their school was one of those needing high grades to get into... It really makes me wonder how/why Koto is seriously there. I honestly feel bad for Shiki she is basically watching her like she's a parent and that poor girl has gone through enough with her being sick in the past. I don't think I could ever be friends with Koto I'm to impatient of a person to deal with her lol.

last edited at Jan 23, 2023 11:59AM

joined May 1, 2015

I think Kaede has a good chance with Tomoe. Her honest attitude will win Tomoe over. Also, Kaede looks adorable in glasses.

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

Mannic posted:

I freak love Kaede she's so adorable. Easily my favorite character. I didn't like her and Tomoe being the two that look like they will be the couple. But they really suit each other especially after this chapter.

I personally think that Shiki x Koto would make a nice pair...

20230811_115727_adobe_express
joined Sep 21, 2019

I keep reading this because I have come to really care about the characters, which seems to be the best reason to read anything. But, for goodness sake, it is not comedy. For the most part it is almost unbearably sad.

You could technically argue it's a type of cringe comedy, but yeah I definitely think tags like Angst and Introspective are both adequate and necessary.

I went ahead and took the liberty of suggesting those tag changes just now, if anyone else could help out by doing the same that'd be pretty helpful (so that future readers don't get spooked).

LackLustre09721
joined Apr 26, 2022

Mariya probably found her wanderin' around lmao

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Lets go the crazy route and say Mariya kidnapped Koto by ever so gently saying sweet words to the down n' out Koto.

And now the gang has to rescue her,full on hijinks mode.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

Kaede and Tomoe's date was really cute. Too bad it got interrupted by a disappearance/abduction

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

she’s just like me fr

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

Aw poor Koto. I feel like she wouldn't have fallen down the depressive spiral hole if Mariya had encouraged her successes rather than getting angry at her lack of progress.

The fact that Koto has new friends, fellow former dropouts, seems to rankle Mariya a bit, despite her knowing better. She both wants Koto to remaim dependent om her and her alone and also paradoxically does want Koto to become more self sufficient. A real Charybdis and Scylla situation. Maybe she is dealing with some issues of her own, and her own career as a student isn't as fulfilling. Good stuff.

last edited at Feb 7, 2023 8:04AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.