Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

b58 posted:

I find it interesting that the Rei before being reincarnated is implied to be an "empty shell"... it poses a lots of interesting questions, but I don't expect they will get asked, it doesn't seem to be that kind of story at all.

I talked about this before Some of these isekai and otome game stories are very creepy, the previous soul just vanishes? dies? this bit is most likely trying to lessen the impact and morals about it.

SrNevik posted:

That "normal" is bs is what I'm saying, for Manaria, is okay to get away with anything she does, even betting for Claire's company and she was gifted with all the powers to do so, and she won't be questioned at all, because of the settings, Rei is the villain now and no one doubts it, Claire notices something is very wrong but the though of asking Manaria didn't cross her mind, is all on Rei obviously even if they talk about it later in detail, is still really awful to watch... And what's worse, Manaria probably has 0 regrets, in fact I bet she's thinking "she's such a coward, good thing I'm here to help!"

Response:

Remember that the chapter ends before we've had time with Claire and Manaria. It's far too early to comment on how Claire is treating Manaria after hearing what Rei said. All we see is Claire literally crying because Rei left her (on her own, mind you). I think we can't just absolve Rei of responsibility for pushing Claire away here. Manaria can only do so much on her own and this "game" is all in Rei's head. Claire hasn't given any reason to assume she favors Manaria over Claire. That is all in Rei's head and she lashed out at Claire because of it.

If they talk about it, all those sides we didn't see and I'm just jumping to conclusions that's great but if they just skip it and everything just happens behind the scenes in favor of Manaria master plan then that's awful imo... As you said, we can't absolve Rei of her responsibility and bad behavior... But the story is making us understand that for Manaria, that's alright.

These are a lot of black bars so I'll stop for now.

last edited at Dec 4, 2022 4:06PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Yea, the thread started looking helluva lewd, with all those censored bits.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

ch.24
What a great piece of advice by Manaria, "you should make your feelings clear before you molest someone" sure sounds like a reasonable take

last edited at Dec 7, 2022 8:11AM

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

Yea, the thread started looking helluva lewd, with all those censored bits.

I think the amount of black bars in these comments foreshadows the probable storm that will occur when the next two chapters get translated and posted here as when I heard from LN readers that this part can be divisive, they were actually right for once.

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

ch.24
What a great piece of advice by Manaria, "you should make your feelings clear before you molest someone" sure sounds like a reasonable take

Yeah I was shocked when she revealed what she did. That wasn't unrequited love, that was an abuse of power and a crime. If she was a guy she would be considered a stalker or an abuser. Really not liking how the story is going with the way it portrays love as these bets are just stupid and they should just talk to each other or something. This progress doesn't feel natural and is just forced.

last edited at Dec 7, 2022 3:14PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Xyeed posted:

ch.24

Yeah I was shocked when she revealed what she did. That wasn't unrequited love, that was an abuse of power and a crime. If she was a guy she would be considered a stalker or an abuser. Really not liking how the story is going with the way it portrays love as these bets are just stupid and they should just talk to each other or something. This progress doesn't feel natural and is just forced.

I could say so much about these developments but my biggest grief is the systematical idiotization of our protagonist in favor of Manaria's plan, like, WE ALL KNOW what she's trying to do and WE ALL KNOW how it should end and I don't even read the LN, is just a trope, but man, they're doing it a poor job it hurts to watch Rei act like this when we know she's so much better and cool headed, but this development wouldn't work with a smart protagonist so she had to be nerfed, she's doomed to look bad, even know she's attacking her with magic knowing full well it doesn't work... why.

I hope is over soon, so maybe I will take some vacations until ... I don't know, July or something.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

In other news, Inori got banned from twitter

https://inori-0.fanbox.cc/posts/4882354

Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

In other news, Inori got banned from twitter

https://inori-0.fanbox.cc/posts/4882354

Elon Musk hates yuri confirmed.
Jokes aside, her account probably would be reinstated soon since the AI is clearly mistaken here.

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

Marinara is annoying

Dumshork
joined Mar 19, 2022

Marinara is annoying

I used to love it, but now it gives me heartburn if I even think about having some.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

ch.25
Alright I didn't expect the twist, but I can't help but think that was dumb. And why did Claire even go through with this dumb battle over her again, she couldn't be more clear on the first one that she doesn't appreciate being an object of the bet. Tell them both to piss off and go hang out with prince Thane or something.

last edited at Dec 11, 2022 11:56AM

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

ch.25
Alright I didn't expect the twist, but I can't help but think that was dumb. And why did Claire even go through with this dumb battle over her again, she couldn't be more clear on the first one that she doesn't appreciate being an object of the bet. Tell them both to piss off and go hang out with prince Thane or something.

Response

Yeah, this arc wasn't the best in the LN either but there you at least had more context and understanding for Rei's thinking (plus some extra lines from Claire). At least it's done and things move on from here.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I'm just so glad the arc is over, like...as expected, even after admitting in Claire's face that she was just playing around because "she enjoys her reactions" (like half killing her) she got absolutely no repercussion and she didn't even felt guilt at all.

But it's over... it's finally over and they're closer now, I'm so glad and happy for Rei,.. She even feels bad for using game knowledge for her advantage, that's true dignity.

last edited at Dec 11, 2022 4:51PM

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

Thoughts on final chapter of this arc:
Wow, that's it? This arc was ass. This felt so forced. Manaria was terrible character just used to force the two further their relationship. The scale bit was stupid as you have to get items to prove your love? That's a terrible way to base a relationship. It should be able to detect your feelings for the person not how good of random stick or flower you searched for.

Then sudden "Oh it was actually Rei she liked even though she bullied her hard and basically crushed and depressed her". Then she just leaves. While it might be fun from now seeing Rei and Claire interact this set up for the romance was awful as Claire was still treated as an object, Rei only won through using her knowledge and luck instead of them actually talking and deciding to get together.

Also, omg web novel and light novel people were talking out their ass. I kept seeing people say that this arc would get better or Manaria would do more, she did nothing and I don't care if there are side stories that expand on Rei's and Claires feelings, the overall story of this arc was terrible.

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

ch.25

Yeah that bothered me as well. She just randomly is fine with getting together with either of them? Really could have used more time for her to explore her sexuality as she was pretty interested in Thane for a while and suddenly is fine with these two. Also, as you said she didn't wanted to be treated as an object yet is fine with it now? This second battle was also really stupid as I am pretty sure they said it would be test of their feelings but no it's just a test who can find the best item for scales. That proves nothing about your love for someone at all and just bring it back to basing your entire relationship on objectification.

joined Nov 4, 2022

Finally this arc have ended and this Manaria had go away, what a terrible character, Claire's attitudes pissed me off so much in this arc, i really wish we had a better romantic interest for Rey, she really deserves better than what we saw from Claire in this arc, would she have just stayed with Manaria if Rei hadn't arrived with a better gift? Seriously?

Popte_pop_54
joined Jun 25, 2019

After reading it up to date...
It started out fine and the background plot is intriguing, but I really dislike the direction this whole thing has taken with this whole maid angle.
Claire is annoying as fuck and it isn't getting better, Rey is irritating with her gushing and her single-mindedness is annoying.
I think I'm gonna drop this.

joined Jun 21, 2021

Anime adaptation confirmed

Which brings up a kinda unrelated question maybe someone who’s worked on the translation or just knows probably basic knowledge on the language, but I’ve been curious on why the fan translations always seem to still go with the Rei spelling. I only ask now because the official anime Twitter and even the author seem to consistently call her Rae in english

last edited at Dec 13, 2022 4:45AM

joined Feb 10, 2022

...why the fan translations always seem to still go with the Rei spelling. I only ask now because the official anime Twitter and even the author seem to consistently call her Rae in english

Rei is the way her name in katakana "レイ" is written in romaji. Romaji is used to show how Japanese words are pronounced. Just the official translation changed it because they wanted, and because it looks more "European"(cause the story takes place on somewhere that looks like Europe) and that's why the author used Rae cause it's the official used for Rei's name outside of Japan although if I were the author I would have requested to keep it as it is in the original.

joined Oct 20, 2019

Official Trailer of the anime coming in 2023!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzFbdaqGrSI&ab_channel=Itsukanime

joined Jun 21, 2021

...why the fan translations always seem to still go with the Rei spelling. I only ask now because the official anime Twitter and even the author seem to consistently call her Rae in english

Rei is the way her name in katakana "レイ" is written in romaji. Romaji is used to show how Japanese words are pronounced. Just the official translation changed it because they wanted, and because it looks more "European"(cause the story takes place on somewhere that looks like Europe) and that's why the author used Rae cause it's the official used for Rei's name outside of Japan although if I were the author I would have requested to keep it as it is in the original.

You’re saying they just change it because they wanted, but is there really nothing in the text to suggest this? I only ask because basic text for the back of volume 1 machine translates the characters name as “Rei” at first, and then “Ray” in the game

Not that I’m saying machine translations are very accurate, it just caught my eye that it picks up on something to cause two different spellings, do you know why it would do that?

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

It doesn't really need good animation, but boy that looks rough

A minute-long PV in December, so it's probably aiming for April. And should make it, unless they only have like one animator

Not sure I actually want to watch it when it looks this ugly, but the discourse should be interesting

joined Jan 6, 2017

You’re saying they just change it because they wanted, but is there really nothing in the text to suggest this? I only ask because basic text for the back of volume 1 machine translates the characters name as “Rei” at first, and then “Ray” in the game

Not that I’m saying machine translations are very accurate, it just caught my eye that it picks up on something to cause two different spellings, do you know why it would do that?

Oohashi Rei is written in kanji while Rei Taylor is written in katakana. They wanted to convey the difference and chose the worst spelling to do it with.
Rei is definitely the better pick, you lose nuance but at least it doesn't make me puke like fucking Rae. Ray also works

joined Jan 6, 2017

I still hold that this series wouldn't work as an anime. The manga already loses a lot of what made the novel work by taking out the internal monologue and the biased POV (though it makes up for it with Relaire), combine that with having to make the pacing match the anime format and I feel like it's gonna be a bit of a disappointment (honestly, I think it'd be better if they did 8 OVAs that match the 8 chapters of the original WN/the first two LNs instead of a 12 - 13 episode TV show)

Well, we'll see

last edited at Dec 13, 2022 6:25AM

joined Oct 20, 2019

It doesn't really need good animation, but boy that looks rough

A minute-long PV in December, so it's probably aiming for April. And should make it, unless they only have like one animator

Not sure I actually want to watch it when it looks this ugly, but the discourse should be interesting

Yes, unfortunately the animation is not the best, never heard of the studio. At least the seiyuu for Claire did a good job (at least in the trailer).
Yeah, I also think they're aiming for April... not sure if that's a good choice... the studio is already unknown, if it comes out during spring which is the season with most anime, it will probably fall in a black hole and forgotten by the ones who don't read the manga.

last edited at Dec 13, 2022 6:28AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.