Forum › Liar Satsuki Can See Death discussion

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I liked Akira's mother telling her to look after Satsuki, she ships it

Fr7bgrpvcaamcjc%20(1)%20(1)-1%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Jul 9, 2021

I think that this might be one of the most important panels for Satsuki's character so far, many people nowadays seem to lack empathy with others and because of that characters like her seem very difficult to be made nowadays, I think that realistic characters who are humanized and can fail are a lot more relatable than an edgy protagonist who is bloodthirsty and seeks revenge

All the President's victims so far were nothing more than people with issues that needed to be dealt with and could have a chance to change, Miho being the greatest proof of this, a slightly cruel bully who was saved by Satsuki and managed to change and become her friend

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I think that this might be one of the most important panels for Satsuki's character so far, many people nowadays seem to lack empathy with others and because of that characters like her seem very difficult to be made nowadays, I think that realistic characters who are humanized and can fail are a lot more relatable than an edgy protagonist who is bloodthirsty and seeks revenge

While I agree that the panel you mention is an excellent illustration of her character, I'd like to add her hugging Akira as a key point in her character development, as this is (as far as I can tell) the first time she has willingly shown her vulnerability to another person.

joined Dec 10, 2021

Add tsundere tag please lol

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

While I agree that the panel you mention is an excellent illustration of her character, I'd like to add her hugging Akira as a key point in her character development, as this is (as far as I can tell) the first time she has willingly shown her vulnerability to another person.

I think this sets up an interesting situation for Akira too. Satsuki won't want Akira's father to die no matter what, so what will Akira do if push comes to shove and he tries to kill her and her mother?

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Didn't Seo lose her memory? I guess the people who said she was faking it was right, because I doubt she'd know about Michinaga otherwise.

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

It's possible Miho told her about it, but my money's always been on her faking it to catch her off guard. Although it would be really interesting if Miho noticed and was playing along.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I think this sets up an interesting situation for Akira too. Satsuki won't want Akira's father to die no matter what, so what will Akira do if push comes to shove and he tries to kill her and her mother?

That question is pretty obvious, actually: Satsuki will try to save everyone. And by "saving", I mean, "keeping them alive", because others' survival is the only thing Satsuki has been focused on until now, completely ignoring the underlying factors that lead to their deaths (like Miho being a selfish bitch, the StuCo being a pair of lunatics who should be locked up, and Akira's dad being an abusive drunkard who needed treatment ten years ago).

last edited at Nov 20, 2022 11:53AM

Oneplusoneequalstwo
joined Jun 5, 2018

I'm sorry Dynasty I cheated on you and read the chapter somewhere else, couldn't wait anymore ;-;

Dynasty's reader is hot garbage anyway.

joined May 29, 2021

Think about wife.
Regret.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

god that like especially sucks because sure yeah Satsuki didn't know what the visions were supposed to be mean back then but also, she literally didn't see that her own mother was on the floor because her real body was being hidden by the premonitory corpse. Which is even worse because the smoke disappears when the person actually dies, so Satsuki's mom was on the floor dying as Satsuki stepped over her.

Imagine the guilt complex she's gotten from that experience, like Satsuki has probably not gone a single day without thinking about how she could have saved her mom if only she'd realized. Actually I don't need to imagine this has been very clearly the whole everything on why Satsuki acts the way she does.

Fuck.

Blushy%20(1)
joined Jun 14, 2022

Fuck.

Seriously. Fuck.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I knew this was coming but it doesn't change the fact that this chapter made me extremely depressed.

I have a few things to point (marked at spoilers for now)
1) Satsuki didn't know how to deal with seeing her own mother's corpse because she didn't know the nature of those things and apparently that was the second time one showed up. And she couldn't tell her, or anyone for that matter, because how do you explain to your parents that you are seeing one of them dead in the hallway? How do you tell people you are seeing dead bodies without them thinking you have gone absolutely mad?

2) The fact that she didn't even notice her mother was there and thought it was just the corpse reminds me of that scene she thought it was just Seo's premonitory corpse and couldn't see it was her until Akira pulled the girl out of this "shadowy smoke of death" at the beginning of Chapter 28. Except with her mom she was alone, she couldn't see behind the premonition. This is extremely sad, and also shows how terrible this "power" is. She can't experience reality as is. It's like her own power made her powerless at a crucial moment.

3) Satsuki was around 13 years-old when that happened, and after that she started seeing these bodies frequently and decided to take action. I wonder if this served as a trigger, something like in Harry Potter where a certain creature that wasn't supposed to be seen to the naked eye was only visible to those who saw someone die in front of them, however, the outcome here is just sad af and people are dying, no one is using magical creatures to fly after seeing their parents die.

Damn, I am so sad right now.

last edited at Nov 30, 2022 6:48PM

Img_20230402_152744
joined Aug 23, 2022

Damn...

joined Mar 23, 2022

wholey damnnnn so when she thought
it's just an illusion, but it's actually her mother's body lying in the floor and she just literally by passed it. emotional damaaggeeee. imagine her guilt is eating her alive. Like she could even have the chance to save her dying mom, but lost it because she was not aware by her powers, that lost chance she could have to save her mother with her power but didn't benefit from it because she is still not aware how it works, of all the circumstances she would realize it, it's in her mother's case, that's why the guilt is more heavy than anything else.

last edited at Nov 30, 2022 3:29PM

joined Mar 23, 2022

damnnn when her mom is one of the best, caring and lovely.Why they always take all the good moms.T-T.

joined Mar 23, 2022

fuck that emotional damageeee

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

Fuuuuuuuuuck that hurts. And she realized she could've saved her, too. Like I expected her to ignore her mom, but to not realize the illusion was her that one time, fuck that is just too cruel.

And the look her dad gave her, with him not knowing the full story, to him it just looked like she didn't care or notice and just went to play games, fuuuuuck

Thinking all of it over is really messing me up. Damn. just....damn...

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

According to Ryoko, chapter 57 had to be on the short side out of consideration for the page count in volume 6.

Still a very efficient chapter giving us lots of information. Satsuki has always had her Samaritan attitude, her mother was a retired surgeon, and her father always shared her paranoia. Cute how he was taking photos of her new hairstyle. They really felt like a happy family for a moment.

Also no deaths occurred for a 5 year stretch. But we know after her mother's death, when Satsuki entered high school, deaths are almost constantly occurring around her. Which according to Prez wasn't happening before she arrived. It could be a Shi ni Aruki style curse, karmic backlash from Satsuki saving people, or something completely unknown. But it seems like a tangible force of fate's getting involved.

And surprisingly, the flashback didn't cover Satsuki's inability to lie. Maybe that came from trying to explain herself to her father, but it feels like it's being saved for later.

Given Satsuki never heard her mother injure herself or collapse, it's likely she was already dying as Satsuki came home. We've seen before that, if someone is on the brink of death but still capable of being saved, their body is obscured by their premonitory corpse. Meaning Satsuki would have stepped right over her mother as she bled out.

Gamer Satsuki felt a little off for the tone in the credits but she's just too adorable. Seconds before her world got shattered.

Spillmyjuice
joined Jul 11, 2021

I feel like the number of people around her dying might have something to do with her own wishes. Not that Satsuki would wish harm purposefully, but for her to prevent deaths someone has to be at risk of dying. So something (a curse placed upon her, a curse she accidentally created, I'm throwing spaghetti at the wall) puts people's lives at risk so that she gets those opportunities.

I really hope I'm wrong and barking up the wrong tree.

Jesus
joined Sep 3, 2022

Damnnnnnn

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Weeell, shit, this wraps up that particular bundle of mysteries pretty neatly. For the record, I think that, knowing Satsuki's perspective, she is not responsible for her mother's death in any way. As has been discussed, she had no idea what her visions meant and the circumstances have conspired in a perfect storm that prevented her from having normal reactions (her mom still being alive when she stepped over her, but already in exactly the same position she would die in, so the premonition completely covered up her body). As such, she had neither the information to act upon, not the capacity to do so, and should therefore not be held responsible for doing nothing, neither by herself, not by her dipshit dad.

And yeah, Satsuki Sr. is a pretty shitty adult in my book. He could have focused on salvaging what could still be saved, namely Satsuki's psyche, by trying to understand her story and, more importantly, by believing it. Instead, he has apparently concluded that his own daughter had willingly let her mother die to play games and then made up lies to cover it up. I understand that he was emotionally devastated, but he was the fucking adult there and Satsuki was in middle school. What kind of parent assumes his child is a monster instead of, I dunno, that she is if not supernaturally afflicted, then at least mentally unwell?

last edited at Nov 30, 2022 4:48PM

Jesus
joined Sep 3, 2022

I always assume children are monsters

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

more importantly, by believing it.

Which is way worse when you think about it because she saw the corpse days before and did nothing to prevent it so even if he was believing it,there is still the fact that she did nothing fully knowning her mom was in danger of death.

To reply you must either login or sign up.